Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? (9804 Views)

Steps On How To Make A Good Decison- Business, Academics And Family / FUT Minna Expels 700 Students Over Poor Academics Performance / What Is The Difference Between ACADEMICS And EDUCATION ??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by seniorboy1(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2016
Good evening fellow Nairalanders, please I want to know your advice on this situation.

I am a 300L student of the University of Ilorin.

I am doing well academically and also participates in the school politics. I am presently a first class student (CGPA above 4.7 but less than 4.76 at the end of 300L first semester).

Now, it is the time for election and I’m aspiring to contest for the president of the faculty students’ association. I’m not just going into politics as I was once the PRO of my departmental association.

As we all know, no man is an island of knowledge, please my brothers and sisters, what is your advice on this my ambition as your younger brother.

2 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by KPhantom(m): 6:57am On May 29, 2016
seniorboy1:
Good evening fellow Nairalanders, please I want to know your advice on this situation.

I am doing well academically and also participates in the school politics. I am presently a first class student (CGPA above 4.7 but less than 4.76 at the end of 300L first semester).

Now, it is the time for election and I’m aspiring to contest for the president of the faculty students’ association. I’m not just going into politics as I was once the PRO of my departmental association.

As we all know, no man is an island of knowledge, please my brothers and sisters, what is your advice on this my ambition as your younger brother.

Cc: Lalasticlala
Fynestboi
go for it, but dont let it distract u

3 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Fxwarrior: 7:27am On May 29, 2016
As my younger brother I owe you the truth.
If you aspire to be the best graduating student in your school which is still possible, drop school politics and focus.

If making 2:1 is still okay for you, maybe 4.3 or 4.0 thereabout then pick a ticket and contest.

Last Bullet: Leave school politics cos it is demanding especially being the President.

15 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by thelinguist: 8:49am On May 29, 2016
That's difficult ....you want to eat your cake and have it?..its possible but stressful.....do. What your mind tells u to do
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by seniorboy1(m): 10:11am On May 29, 2016
KPhantom:

go for it, but dont let it distract u

Thank you sir.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by seniorboy1(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2016
Fxwarrior:
If you aspire to be the best graduating student in your school which is still possible, drop school politics and focus.
Thank you sir.

I was only aiming at being the best graduating student in my faculty before now, I will diligently look into the possibilities of being the best graduating student in the university.
Fxwarrior:

If making 2:1 is still okay for you, maybe 4.3 or 4.0 thereabout then pick a ticket and contest.
Last Bullet: Leave school politics cos it is demanding especially being the President.

Thank you sir.

You should know it is impossible for me to be contented with 2:1 at this stage, I'm already in my penultimate year, just 1 more session to go.

But sir, you no dey smile ooo from 4.7+ to 4.3 or 4.0.

3 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by seniorboy1(m): 10:26am On May 29, 2016
thelinguist:
That's difficult ....you want to eat your cake and have it?..its possible but stressful.....do. What your mind tells u to do

Thank you sir.

Yes, I know it will be stressful and I'm working towards a decentralized administration.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 29, 2016
I'll suggest you go ahead and take a leadership position, It can't deny you your first class in any way, although the responsibilies will overwhelm you somehow.
The responsibilities will help you hone some skill-sets that are required outside the four walls of college.
Goodluck man!

1 Like

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by seniorboy1(m): 8:48am On May 30, 2016
Dekins88:
I'll suggest you go ahead and take a leadership position, It can deny you your first class in any way, although the responsibilies will overwhelm you somehow.
The responsibilities will help you hone some skill-sets that are required outside the four walls of college.
Goodluck man!

Thank you sir.

I assumed you wanted to type "it can't deny you your first class....", considering the "although" after the sentence.

1 Like

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 30, 2016
Dekins88:
I'll suggest you go ahead and take a leadership position, It can't deny you your first class in any way, although the responsibilies will overwhelm you somehow.
Goodluck man!
Modified.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Alpet(m): 3:10pm On May 30, 2016
@ moderators, please push this post to the front page, other students can learn.

Cc: Fynestboi
Olawelebabs
Richiez
Lalasticlala
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Richiez(m): 4:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
hmmm...nice thread
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by hakeem4(m): 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
G
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by teepsee(f): 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
I would have asked you if you are doing well academically but it's obvious you are. Now to your question.

Yes you can as long as you still know your mean priority there in school, I will always say school is not all about books but learning, it's another phase in life entirely. My dear just make sure to know where to draw the line, don't let your politics get into you much than your primary purpose in school.

2 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by hakeem4(m): 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
It would distract you

But if you can cope ,it's fine
seniorboy1:

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Pyno30: 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
seniorboy1:

Yes. But don't ask me How.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Peacetemi: 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
Pls focus on your academics, leave school politics it cant build you a mansion. Unless you intend to embezzle. First class graduates are hot cakes,, so pls at this stage you should focus more on getting your first class, it can take you places.

2 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by kingphilip(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
Some people thinks it helps them to maintain their gp but I can confidently tell you it's very very tasking and will make you have a slight or heavy drop depending on your involvement in it

If you want to graduate with 4.5 go for it but if you have too many rivals to your best faculty graduating student, drop the ambition

All in all may God give you the wisdom to make the right choice

1 Like

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by brunofarad(m): 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2016
Yes you can
It all depends on ur priority tho.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Guyman02: 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2016
You can combine the two effectively if you know how to use your time well. You can still maintain your first class position as long as you dont cross the path of your lecturers in the process of playing politics. Ensure that you play clean politics and not get involved in misapproapriating association funds.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by CaptainEColeJnr: 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2016
Its like you don't want the first class again ...

School politics is a big distraction, you have two options on a platter of gold ..

Ogbeni choose one

2 Likes

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by lepasharon(f): 5:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
Better face ur books
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by whizqueen(f): 5:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
Go ahead Bro. Life is not just all about academics!

You'd need the knowledge you acquire from school politics.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by PrinxArthur1(m): 5:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
Prepare ur money for sort.........u know n aa,hmmmm the person living downstairs just grabbed that space and he doesn't knoo what to do with it
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
vikth:
angry
what is it
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Gebbson007(m): 5:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
Wif God al is possible.
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by kingarizona1(m): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
Fxwarrior:
Last Bullet: Leave school politics cos it is demanding especially being the President .

Good advice__ Mmmenh this your last Bullet is really a BOMB__ So tell me, Who do you work with BH or Avengers? cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Slimszy: 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
seniorboy1:

If you are confident of maintaining excellence between the two...dont hesitate to vie for your desired political post.. But if you won't be able tp maintain a balance between the two or at the expense of your academic performance in school..pls drop that ambition.. Your primary purpose in school is to study though politics is to exude your leadership trait and administration
Re: Academics And Politics: Can I Combine The Two In The University? by Wonderboy1(m): 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
It will surely affect you academically.....but only if you how to manage your time very....

Political campaign in school is not a child's play else you ain't serious with it...

I suggest you face your studies squarely,if you graduate with Ist class you don't need campaign to become a manager of a big firm...."you can't serve two masters at a time"...

Meanwhile for your diesel engine generators check here https://www.nairaland.com/3012099/order-tokunbo-diesel-generators-spare

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Admitted Candidates For U.i (first Batch) / Ministry Of Education Releases Circular For Schools To Resume November 2020 / Recession: Nigerian Government May Scrap Foreign Scholarships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.