Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,204 members, 7,807,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Democracy And The Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy And The Youths (621 Views)

THE YOUTHS OF THIS COUNTRY ARE BEGGING FOR ATIKU TO LEAD THEM(2019) / Democracy And The Failed Nation Of Nigeria / Saraki: The Travails Of Democracy And The Rule Of Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy And The Youths by IAmTobore(m): 6:02pm On May 29, 2016
Democracy they say is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. But in most cases all over the world, the so-called people's government has been turned into an avenue for enriching individual pockets, staging regions against each other, and even at worst; sponsoring terrorism.

Nigeria today is one of the numerous failed democratic states. A failed democratic system plunged Nigeria into it's current state of abysmal. In Nigeria today, tribal conflict is soaring at it's peak. Electoral candidates are selected not based on competence and credibility but rather based on tribe and religion. Political campaigns are characterised with thuggery. Electoral rigging is the art of the day. Only the elite class have a say in the country's affairs. The rest of the citizens show less concern. And even the youths always make themselves available as ready-made weapons for the politicians to carry out their conflicts whenever they have minor disputes.

Today, some regions of the country are planning to secede, and majority of the citizens are showing support without having the thought of the kind of selfish leader they would have after secession. Well I can't blame them, because I think they are pissed-off with the bad display from the youths.

This article is however aimed at the youths. Our role in the society, our significance in the development of Nigeria, and our relevance to our communities. Do we stand together to see the agenda of these plutocrats that disguise themselves as democrats, or we fight ourselves in order for these people to lead us into oblivion? The country is in a total mess today because, the youths show less concern. We rather join the politicians in playing tribal/regional politics because we think that's the answer, and by getting our fellow tribe into a vital position, things will be OK in our region. We always fail to realize that these politicians don't have us in their plans.

I will like to start with my fellow Niger Deltan youths because, charity begins at home. Truly , most of our communities are polluted due to the activities of the oil companies in the region, but I think we are not reacting to the situation in the right manner. We fail to realize the dividends of democracy. We fail to realize that power is not vested on the head alone, but rather divided throughout the body. And whenever we don't get what we want as a means of compensation, we always resort to violence which usually takes toll on the country's economy.

Not to forget, the Yoruba and Igbo youths are not also left out. Their display of tribal discrimination on the internet and in the society is very, very alarming. Not to mention the the northern youths. They are the worst! They never take correction. No matter how much you try to convince them, they will never listen.

Its in the gene of almost all Nigerian youths to serve any politician that comes from their region like a god, forgetting that these politicians are the ones that are supposed to serve us. I am not trying to condemn the youths but rather, I am trying to convince them to change their mentality. All I want is the total revolution of the Nigerian youths.

Before we blame the president for our negligence and predicament, let's always remember the following:-
(1) The local government chairman
(2) The state governor
(3) The senators
(4) The federal representatives
(5) The youths

I would like to throw more lights on the points listed above.

(1) The local government chairman

The post of the local government chairman is supposed to be a platform for the state government to reach out to the locals of each communities of a state. But today, it has been transformed into a means of embezzlement. Local government chairmen don't care about the communities in their jurisdiction anymore. All they care about is their pockets. If we look back to the previous tenure, we would realize that most these local government chairmen have nothing to point as an achievement. All they did was to enrich their pockets.

(2) The state governor

This office is meant to play a crucial role in the development of the nation. But most governors don't care about the lives of people in their state. The politicians become governor and feast on the state, leaving hope for nobody. They owe workers millions of naira undermining the robust budgets they receive. Sometimes, I wonder what they use the money for.

(3)&(4) The senators and federal representatives

The senators and Reps. have a crucial role to play in the lives of the people. But these guys have thrown their primary purpose aside. All they do now is to run after allowances like a rooster chasing a hen. You actually need to see the way these guys throw critical issues aside and discuss non-relevant issues when they are in the national assembly. You only see them on the TV during plenary. Once they are done, they disappear into the tin air, leaving no traces of themselves. These tiers of government receives the most allowances, yet they don't do any tangible thing in the communities they represent.

(5) The youths

I included us because we are the symbol of this country. There was a proverb I came across in a movie, it says; "NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE FOR OURSELVES". We should start watching our counterparts all over the globe and emulate the good things about them. Nigeria is not the only country with diverse tribes. In other countries, they see their similarities rather than differences. We shouldn't neglect our role in the growth of this nation. We should unite! Some people say more youths are supposed to be in government. However if the attitude of the youths are very bad, then I wonder what the nation would be turned into when they are in power.

My advise to everyone of us regardless of our tribe is to stay united. We should embrace revolution and change our mindset. We should let our leaders in all tiers of government know that we are watching them. We should mount pressure on our leaders to do their jobs starting from the local government chairman. We should desist from all forms of tribal discrimination. Before we quarry the president, we should make sure that the leaders closest to us are doing their jobs. I hope to start seeing the changes in us.
Happy democracy day to all Nigerian youths.

Akportobore Etadafe

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

INFOGRAPHICS: Fg’s Interim Report On Recovered Loot / Minister Of Environment, Reveals Timi Dakolo Rejected Their Invitation / PHOTOS: Amina Mohammed,Amaechi And Lai Mohammed Visits Governor Udom Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.