Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,119 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30416 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Correction, not for being poor!

For solely depending on panhandling and never having other productive ambitions. Also as it is a transfer of a regionally self-inflicted problem.

You can not raise your local people to be almajiris and dispatch them to Lagos to practice the eyesore.

Thank you. People are just twisting the whole thing.

There was a thread here where Fashola deported Yorubas as well. So discard the tribal argument.

For those saying why deport criminals, have you seen how congested Lagos prisons are?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:01am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

Alao-Akala accuses Fashola of dumping beggars in Ibadan

From Iyabo Lawal (Ibadan) and Kamal Tayo Oropo (Lagos)

OYO State Governor, Adebayo Alao-Akala, yesterday alleged that his Lagos State counterpart, Babatunde Fashola, had been dumping beggars undergoing rehabilitation in Lagos on the streets of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

advertisement
Alao-Akala said the alleged action was a deliberate act to sabotage his efforts in transforming Oyo State.

The governor alleged that in the early hours of yesterday, some Lagos State government officials conveyed 120 beggars in eight trucks to Molete area of Ibadan and abandoned them there.

He claimed that the beggars were arrested in various parts of Lagos in the last six months but housed and rehabilitated at Majidun in Ikorodu area of Lagos State by the Fashola administration.

Alao-Akala, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Public Communications, Dotun Oyelade, frowned at the alleged action of the Lagos State government and threatened to take the matter up.

His words: "The Oyo State government is working hard to clean the environment as well as rid the city of beggars and any act of sabotage from Lagos or any other neighbouring state will be firmly resisted.

Some of the 'deportees' who spoke with The Guardian said they were moved from Majidun on Wednesday night and dumped under the Molete flyover in the early hours of yesterday with a parting gift of N200.

The beggars apparently went back to 'business' immediately as they moved to different parts of the city seeking alms.

At the Governor's Office, 10 of them were seen loitering around and begging for alms. One of them, who identified himself as Alhaji Muka Bello said he is an indigene of Ibadan but was arrested while roaming the streets of Lagos by the state's officials.

Asked where his family house is located, an incoherent Bello said he could not remember.

Sixty five-year-old Mujidatu Gbadamosi said she was on her way to the dry cleaner on Lagos Island when she was arrested.

Gbadamosi, who said she still had her family at the Pelewura area of Lagos, appealed to the Oyo State government to support her financially so that she could go back to Lagos.

Mrs. Fehintola Ogundare, an indigene of Osun State, said she was arrested at the Aroloya area of Lagos Island when she was seeing off a visitor.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/10/14.html

God bless you for posting this. . . . . .Osisi can now let us rest with her tribal sentiments.

stillwater:

Thank you. People are just twisting the whole thing.

There was a thread here where Fashola deported Yorubas as well. So discard the tribal argument.

For those saying why deport criminals, have you seen how congested Lagos prisons are?

They are ignorant. . . . . How many of them have been to Lagos?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 12:01am On Aug 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Correction, not for being poor!

For solely depending on panhandling and never having other productive ambitions. Also as it is a transfer of a regionally self-inflicted problem.

You can not raise your local people to be almajiris and dispatch them to Lagos to practice the eyesore.

look here. we're all nigerians.  if it's because of a crime then all the hausa criminals in lagos would be "evicted" to kano or kaduna rather than sent to prison. not so?
how come it is just beggars and cripples that are being "evicted"?
and i'm very sure there are yoruba beggars and cripples as well (even if they are fewer). are those sent to kano or kaduna as well?

this move makes no sense whatsoever and i don't know why you're condoning it unless you're tribalistic.  the move can only make sense to a tribalist.
i mean do american police  move a florida panhandler to ohio because his father was born there? no they use the constitution to handle the case.

this is how ethnic clashes start. FYI 
and i am very dissapointed in Fashola for this! he's looking for the easy way out in things . "hey let's dump our beggars in other states"
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

He has no right to do so.
You don't evict people from the streets
They are Nigerians and they can live wherever they please.
Is he trying to create an utopian Lagos with no street beggars?
Rubbish
And for how long?
That's why I repeat that all these Nigerian politicians are idiots
every one of them
They all think through their rectum
They want to create a city of London in Lagos  but fail to ask what London does with it's down trodden?
Let's see how far his madness will go

What if a line of beggars pitch their tents in front of your house?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 12:02am On Aug 24, 2009
Abi Fashola has joined MEND?  grin
Lagos don declare war sha.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by chic2pimp(m): 12:03am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

The overpopulation has crippled the state.
NEPA transformers cannot cope. . . .NITEL is non-existent(i doubt you can use a landfone to call your neighbour across the street).

though I don't agree with all the points u made,I make dis an exception. SPOT ON MATE
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:03am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

They should all leave Lagos. . . . .Any unproductive miscreant should leave the city. . .
Have u seen the facilities in Lagos? The overpopulation has crippled the state.
NEPA transformers cannot cope. . . .NITEL is non-existent(i doubt you can use a landfone to call your neighbour across the street).
Whatz more? There are only 12,000 policemen in Lagos to keep law and order in a state with a population of 20 million. . . .

By all means. . . . .Fashola should drive every one of them out.

lol they must asap as in i cant even remember the last time i drove from my parents house in magodo to the island but through mainland lol.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:03am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

Alao-Akala accuses Fashola of dumping beggars in Ibadan

From Iyabo Lawal (Ibadan) and Kamal Tayo Oropo (Lagos)

OYO State Governor, Adebayo Alao-Akala, yesterday alleged that his Lagos State counterpart, Babatunde Fashola, had been dumping beggars undergoing rehabilitation in Lagos on the streets of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

advertisement
Alao-Akala said the alleged action was a deliberate act to sabotage his efforts in transforming Oyo State.

The governor alleged that in the early hours of yesterday, some Lagos State government officials conveyed 120 beggars in eight trucks to Molete area of Ibadan and abandoned them there.

He claimed that the beggars were arrested in various parts of Lagos in the last six months but housed and rehabilitated at Majidun in Ikorodu area of Lagos State by the Fashola administration.

Alao-Akala, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Public Communications, Dotun Oyelade, frowned at the alleged action of the Lagos State government and threatened to take the matter up.

His words: "The Oyo State government is working hard to clean the environment as well as rid the city of beggars and any act of sabotage from Lagos or any other neighbouring state will be firmly resisted.

Some of the 'deportees' who spoke with The Guardian said they were moved from Majidun on Wednesday night and dumped under the Molete flyover in the early hours of yesterday with a parting gift of N200.

The beggars apparently went back to 'business' immediately as they moved to different parts of the city seeking alms.

At the Governor's Office, 10 of them were seen loitering around and begging for alms. One of them, who identified himself as Alhaji Muka Bello said he is an indigene of Ibadan but was arrested while roaming the streets of Lagos by the state's officials.

Asked where his family house is located, an incoherent Bello said he could not remember.

Sixty five-year-old Mujidatu Gbadamosi said she was on her way to the dry cleaner on Lagos Island when she was arrested.
Gbadamosi, who said she still had her family at the Pelewura area of Lagos, appealed to the Oyo State government to support her financially so that she could go back to Lagos.

Mrs. Fehintola Ogundare, an indigene of Osun State, said she was arrested at the Aroloya area of Lagos Island when she was seeing off a visitor.
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/10/14.html

Fashola is a goat!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 12:04am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh come on!!! If these Pan Handlers head back into lagos tommorow, how much will that save the state?

Then they will get deported (oops evicted  grin) again.

By the time we go through 5 cycles of eviction, they would give up because:

1) It might cost them a bit to travel down each time (full cost is about N5000 on average)

2) During period of travelling, they are losing begging revenues and the travel is stressful and uncomfortable

So it might just be better return on investment for them to stay in Kaduna, Kano etc

By and large the cost of 5 to 10 trips would be cheaper than a repeated jail spell for the Lagos government. Jail spell might even be attractive for beggars as it is free food.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:05am On Aug 24, 2009
stillwater:

were they infront of your house?
Is that reason to carry them and dump in a strange land
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Aug 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Then they will get deported (oops evicted  grin) again.

1) It might cost them a bit to travel down each time (full cost is about N5000 on average)

2) During period of travelling, they are losing begging revenues and the travel is stressful and uncomfortable

So it might just be better return on investment for them to stay in Kaduna, Kano etc

By and large the cost of 5 to 10 trips would be cheaper than a repeated jail spell for the Lagos government. Jail spell might even be attractive for beggars as it is free food.

Roflmao!!! You really do not know much about Nigerian beggars, do you?? Roflmao!!!

Oh come on!! Only 5 or 10? We are talking of folks who likely go home for holidays and then head back to continue afterwards.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:06am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

God bless you for posting this. . . . . .Osisi can now let us rest with her tribal sentiments.

They are ignorant. . . . . How many of them have been to Lagos?

May your family be deported to the interiors of Ekiti where they belong grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:07am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

yes they are incase people didn't know LAGOS is pretty damn small
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:08am On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

yes they are incase people didn't know LAGOS is pretty damn small

Then your family should return to Okitipupa
They are contributing to the overpopulation
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:08am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

May your family be deported to the interiors of Ekiti where they belong grin

My family don't beg in Lagos like yours so may your Family from the oldest to the embryo be deported in a BAGCO super sack to Isi Nla ngwa where you hail from.
Anuofia. cheesy

$osisi:

Yes. . . . . .It is enough reason to ship them out to wherever their tribal marks say they hail from. . . .
U cannot effect a positive change without stepping on toes. . . . . .They should endure the pain.
Many Yoruba families lost their houses in Maroko. . . .They have moved on. . . .Hausa beggars should move on or get SHOT.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by chic2pimp(m): 12:08am On Aug 24, 2009
Sagamite:

CHEI LWKM OOO. LOOSING BEGGING REVENUE  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 12:09am On Aug 24, 2009
stillwater:

Thank you. Tinubu built houses 4 them but they refuse to stay there. I think lagos has been accomodating enuff 4 those beggers
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:10am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

Then your family should return to Okitipupa
They are contributing to the overpopulation

what are you saying my family are original lagosian even my great grand parents were born and raised in lagos
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:11am On Aug 24, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Thank you. Tinubu built houses 4 them but they refuse to stay there. I think lagos has been accomodating enuff 4 those beggers

Don't mind these hypocrites. . . . .Hausas have introduced Sharia to make life inconvenient for Christians in the north and we have respected that.
Fashola does not want beggars on his streets, beggars should get a job or SHIP OUT.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

You said they can live wherever they please. What if they storm your street?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:11am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

My family don't beg in Lagos like yours so may your Family from the oldest to the embryo be deported in a sack to Isi Nla ngwa where you hail from.
Anuofia. cheesy

Odiegwu!
no be the begging revenue them use to send you to London and now you're doing gra gra like you're more Lagosian than the Kosokos when probably your own father or grandfather came on a Hiace bus with a pillowcase full of his belongings grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:12am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Don't mind these hypocrites. . . . .Hausas have introduced Sharia to make life inconvenient for Christians in the north and we have respected that.
Fashola does not want beggars on his streets, get a job or SHIP OUT.

god bless you
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 12:12am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

. . . .Hausa beggars should move on or get SHOT.

shocked
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 12:14am On Aug 24, 2009
guys think about this. what if other states start "evicting" their criminals to lagos and other states?
I think fashola is setting a disastrous trend here

an ethnic clash might even occur as a result of this. I don't think fashola thougth things thoroughly before making that step he made.

Then they will get deported (oops evicted  Grin) again.

you can make the same argument for lagos state!
if u study economics u kno that the less beggars on the street the less competition for the few that remain there so more ppl will join to become beggars (more money for them) the govt will have to be carrying out this "eviction" process over and over again and that's wasting lagos tax money and govt time too! i don't think the transportation cost is free for the driver of the truck either.
it makes no sense.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:14am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

Odiegwu!
no be the begging revenue them use to send you to London and now you're doing gra gra like you're more Lagosian than the Kosokos when probably your own father or grandfather came on a Hiace bus with a pillowcase fulol of his belongings grin

My family owns a street off Allen Avenue. . . . I can give you the address if you press me further.
I did not migrate to Lagos in a BAGCO super sack like you so don't mix issues here. . . . .
If i see your vibrating ass in Lagos, i will notify the task force to flog you naked publicly before sending your scarred ass to your Igwe.

You guys have crippled Lagos. . . . .Go back home and invest in your Onitsha Market.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:15am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

My family don't beg in Lagos like yours so may your Family from the oldest to the embryo be deported in a BAGCO super sack to Isi Nla ngwa where you hail from.
Anuofia. cheesy

Yes. . . . . .It is enough reason to ship them out to wherever their tribal marks say they hail from. . . .
U cannot effect a positive change without stepping on toes. . . . . .They should endure the pain.
Many Yoruba families lost their houses in Maroko. . . .They have moved on. . . .Hausa beggars should move on or get SHOT.

shocked shocked yeh i didn't say they should shot ohhh lol maybe just a little beating back to the north ya kno lol
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 12:16am On Aug 24, 2009
oyinda.:

look here. we're all nigerians.  if it's because of a crime then all the hausa criminals in lagos would be "evicted" to kano or kaduna rather than sent to prison. not so?
how come it is just beggars and cripples that are being "evicted"?

Because they are an eyesore, unproductive, a problem mainly created by northern leaders who get more resources on average than southern leaders and they can do better if they engage in a productive activity in the north like farming instead of the easy and nurtured option of begging.

oyinda.:

and i'm very sure there are yoruba beggars and cripples as well (even if they are fewer). are those sent to kano or kaduna as well?

Some where recently sent to Ibadan

oyinda.:

this move makes no sense whatsoever and i don't know why you're condoning it unless you're tribalistic.  the move can only make sense to a tribalist.
i mean do american police  move a florida panhandler to ohio because his father was born there? no they use the constitution to handle the case.

I am not a tribalist, I am a realist and I think this is perfectly expedient, without being cruel, in a country that lacks resources.

All northerners are welcome in Lagos if they have something to do, even as a maigard.

Even some beggars are OK, but not the volume we have at the moment.

oyinda.:

this is how ethnic clashes start. FYI  
and i am very dissapointed in Fashola for this! he's looking for the easy way out in things . "hey let's dump our beggars in other states"

I doubt this will lead to ethnic clashes.

Northerners are proud people when they feel attacked and are likely to respond by acting to ensure these people have catered for so they (northerners) are not embarassed like this in future.

If it happened in the East, it might have been trouble but it happened in the West.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:18am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

My family owns a street off Allen Avenue. . . . I can give you the address if you press me further.
I did not migrate to Lagos in a BAGCO super sack like you so don't mix issues here. . . . .
If i see your vibrating ass in Lagos, i will notify the task force to flog you naked publicly before sending your scarred ass to your Igwe.

You guys have crippled Lagos. . . . .Go back home and invest in your Onitsha Market.

A street full of agberos and 50 naira ashewos
Your family owns a street  or they named a street after the toughest gangster that migrated from Ekiti
abeg make we hear word.
In a land of the blind,whet did they say about the one -eyed?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 12:19am On Aug 24, 2009
rehabilitated at Majidun in Ikorodu area of Lagos State by the Fashola administration.

how come the crooks and thieves up north no fit rehabilitate their own people? beats me.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:19am On Aug 24, 2009
Yoruba peps? Everyone of them is Lagosion. Hahahaha! I met one Tunde here and when asked he says he is from Lagos. Eventually we became friends and later I realized he is from Osun.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by chic2pimp(m): 12:20am On Aug 24, 2009
I know emotions are running high with regards to this topic but c'mon cut out this crap man. Stop with the yabbing and get straight to your point.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:21am On Aug 24, 2009
becomrich.:

afukwu do you know street hawking is illegal in lagos. Afukwu, I know you are against yoruba people, and how demand for fairness and how your igbos senators and house of reps are treating the bill to removing yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into benin republic.

Do you think your senators and house of rep members would still smile when fashola start deporting igbos back to the east to reduce the population of lagos.?

So can you see the reason why we need to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into benin republic.

see map. your people would get biafra.

This life is unfair
Fashola deports peasant ,harmless Hausa beggars but beccomerich is allowed the breathe the same air we breathe grin
I will rather have a beggar at my front lawn that have beccomerich as a neighbor.He is a worse nuisance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Bola Ahmed Tinubu Net Worth And Properties / 800 Petrol Tankers Converted To Supply Gas – Marketers / Some Places With Stable Electricity In Nigeria - AfricaFactsZone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.