Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

"Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods (42222 Views)

Organic Layer Solution By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 12:25pm On Jun 10, 2016
knostbrown01:

Ok boss, if it were to be Nitrogen deficiency sir, which fertiliser or how can I solved that?
It depends on the crop. You can can use fresh blood meal from slaughter house. Mix one liter of it in four liters of water and apply as soil drench. Ugu loves this like made.

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by knostbrown01(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2016
organicfoods:
It depends on the crop. You can can use fresh blood meal from slaughter house. Mix one liter of it in four liters of water and apply as soil drench. Ugu loves this like made.
thanks bro
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 11:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
One new trick I learn is sterilizing the soil by heating. This kills the seeds of the weeds and your cucumber grows only in the sack...When you have a very healthy plants, pests and disease will find it difficult to cause serious damage. Using Farmers Fertilizer plus some of my other organic nutrients has really helped.

3 Likes

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Mercie123(f): 12:24pm On Jun 22, 2016
organicfoods:
One new trick I learn is sterilizing the soil by heating. This kills the seeds of the weeds and your cucumber grows only in the sack...When you have a very healthy plants, pests and disease will find it difficult to cause serious damage. Using Farmers Fertilizer plus some of my other organic nutrients has really helped.

Wooooowwww!!! Your fruits look amazing. I guess Soil Sterilization is another topic you must teach us o. I'm completing my first ever Lacto Bacillus production today - kudos to your mentor-ship. God bless you bro!

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 9:10am On Jun 23, 2016
Mercie123:

Wooooowwww!!! Your fruits look amazing. I guess Soil Sterilization is another topic you must teach us o. I'm completing my first ever Lacto Bacillus production today - kudos to your mentor-ship. God bless you bro!
Great to hear about your progress. The secrets about farming is growing from small to big, this way you learn what works and what doesn't work and grow from point of immense strength, rather than starting big and crashing big. Soil sterilization and weed control in organic farm is one post I will do soon...cheers wish you great success.

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Cocoboms(m): 2:33am On Jun 28, 2016
organicfoods:
What you must do:
1. Adequate planning.
2. Water
3. Commitments
4. Avoid Stressing the vine
Adequate Planning: In cucumber farm, you must plan well from start to finish. Your planning must include logistics like
a. Visitation to the farm: You can not abandon a cucumber farm like you do to maize, things happen very fast and there is little you can control when the vines are in full gear. So you have to monitor and ensure things works according to plan. If you don't love farming and you want money don't try cucumbers. If you have a tight schedule, planning from the scratch will help you a lot. You must know what's happening on the field every other day, because the faster they grow the faster things can go wrong. Pests also arrive very fast as well, many of them don't joke with it. You must have a program in place to control the pest. Our program was using neem oil and neem water. We soaked neem leaves in water for seven days and use every week, renewing the broth with fresh leaves every time we harvest the pesticide. This is how we initiate our pest control. We spray twice a week. Neem water on Monday and neem oil plus Black soap on Friday. When it rains, we change the day to when its favorable. Because we planted three in a sack, it was really crowded, I will recommend two per sack. You can plant three seeds per sack and prone to two leaving the healthiest plants. Recently I discover Palm Kernel oil (Yoruba called it adi eyan) when mixed with neem oil was really effective and powerful against caterpillar pest. The solution kills the pest almost immediately, I was really glad with the result. The tips of the cucumber vine are safe heaven for these pests. So spray the tips properly when applying pesticides.
[b]Fertilization:[/b]Cucumber depend heavily on continuous fertilization during production. Understanding the needs of cucumber in every stage of their development is crucial. For growth up to 2 weeks, cucumber nutrients demand appears to be moderate, from this stage upward they tend to demand more, so you can start given them supply. I used different fertilizer at different stages. At two week I used fruits blossom and Lacto Bacillus folia spray. At fruiting stage, I used Harvest plus rich in calcium and phosphorous plus fish hydrosylate. My harvest was really massive.
The composition of the soil will also go a long way. let me share an Idea I got from a crop farming group that I belong. I found great merit in the idea Using, chicken poo, Ash, charcoal and neem dust to constitute the sack will help a lot. Cucumber are susceptible to diseases because of pest activities, this composition will be of great help to the plant. Ash and charcoal has enough sulfur to keep virus and bacteria away. I will talk about new soil composition later in the post
c. Watering/Irrigation[/b]The success of the farm will depend greatly on water. Without it, your plants will get stressed and famished. Fruits quality will depend greatly on the amount of water given to the plant. Try and install simple irrigation like the type ishaqteejay implemented in one of his thread, it will save you a lot of energy needed for pest control. Lest I forget, try and mulch to conserve water and keep weeds away. cucumber don't like disturbance to their roots.
[b]d. Staking
: Stake the vines early. They help release enough space for the plants, remember they don't like been crowded.
First Pix is where you will find those demonic caterpillar
second is a stressed fruit from poor water supply or weak pollination.

Hello sir, you are truly inspiring. I have read some of your posts fully on nairaland in a few hours and I must say this, you have educated me a lot.

I truly wish to grow organically. Im currently on a sack farming project for a type of melon in the cucumber family. I'm definitely trying the blood meal on some of my plants this week. I would try making your other beautiful preparations to use in my small project.

I tried using Chlorpyrifos just once and the bees avoided pollinating my earlier melon plants for one week before they came back, even though all d terrible pests were dead. I learnt my lesson. Before then I had been looking for where to buy Neem oil as I had researched on it but nowhere to buy it in my locality. I'm in a village in ekiti on nysc.

But with your free willing ingenuity, I'm gonna prepare my own dogonyaro leaf and bark extract.

I hope to learn more from you. God bless! Seriously and intensely following!!!
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by cleavon(m): 2:56am On Jun 28, 2016
Following
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Dhoneys: 12:11pm On Jun 28, 2016
Am learning seriously
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:19am On Jul 02, 2016
Cocoboms:

Hello sir, you are truly inspiring. I have read some of your posts fully on nairaland in a few hours and I must say this, you have educated me a lot.

I truly wish to grow organically. Im currently on a sack farming project for a type of melon in the cucumber family. I'm definitely trying the blood meal on some of my plants this week. I would try making your other beautiful preparations to use in my small project.

I tried using Chlorpyrifos just once and the bees avoided pollinating my earlier melon plants for one week before they came back, even though all d terrible pests were dead. I learnt my lesson. Before then I had been looking for where to buy Neem oil as I had researched on it but nowhere to buy it in my locality. I'm in a village in ekiti on nysc.

But with your free willing ingenuity, I'm gonna prepare my own dogonyaro leaf and bark extract.
I hope to learn more from you. God bless! Seriously and intensely following!!!
You can call me up for the neem oil. A liter is 2800...08034342637
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by john410(m): 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2016
I love every bit of these. nice one op.kip the good work.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by shinehills: 4:17am On Jul 05, 2016
organicfoods:
You have to mix with soil. The ratio of soil to manure is 1:1 500g each of Ash, Charcoal and neem dust wil serve. Neem dust is just neem leaves that was dried and grounded into powder Neem (dongoyaro) You can source all these material locally. If you have problem with manure, then I can help you with compost at a cost though.
op how is neem oil prepared and what is the measurement to be applied .
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
shinehills:

Dried neem seed is cold pressed to obtain the oil...But you need a lot of seeds though.

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by kmillionaire2002: 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2016
Hello, my pilot project one. How can I save this cucumber? pilot project 2 has started showing the same symptoms. kindly help Sir. Thanks.

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:41am On Jul 10, 2016
kmillionaire2002:
Hello, my pilot project one. How can I save this cucumber? pilot project 2 has started showing the same symptoms. kindly help Sir. Thanks.
Use ginger garlic extract to treat it. where is your location?
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by kmillionaire2002: 1:39am On Jul 11, 2016
Thanks. Idi iroko, Ogun state.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by efe2016(m): 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2016
shinehills:

@organicfoods Hi,sent u a mail request,want to know ur farm address in ibadan,want to come for visit

cheers
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by biggal: 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2016
Can I order d seeds from aliexpress cos I need few to experiment expecially tomato n cucumber
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 11:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
biggal:
Can I order d seeds from aliexpress cos I need few to experiment expecially tomato n cucumber
Seeds are available locally...
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 11:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
efe2016:

@organicfoods Hi,sent u a mail request,want to know ur farm address in ibadan, want to come for visit

cheers
Can you check your mail...I replied some emails now.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by biggal: 6:25am On Jul 18, 2016
Where can I get gud hybrid of tomato n cucumber abt 50 only ph resident
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 12:23am On Jul 28, 2016
Handling Nocturnal Visitor called Snail on your sack Farm. One major pest of the cucumber are the tiny snails. They arrive at night in droves and feed on the seedlings and disappear early in the morning without any trace. They are a serious menace for the farmer, especially when they turn your seedlings into a good source of nutrients to balance their diet. If you don't pay attention very carefully, you will quickly admit that some evil forces are at work, because they stealthy operate at night. One very good way to reduce their population is to hand pick them. That means you have to keep night vigil to catch them red handed. Another very effective method to stop them in their quest of making salad out of your young cukes seedlings is to ground some egg shell and spread it round your plant...They don't like crawling on egg shell, they detest it with passion. This way they won't pick interest in your cucumbers any more, instead they will turn to so some other weeds to balance their vegetable needs.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 10, 2016
Kudos organic foods. Great looking cucumbers. I started growing in the soil but downey mildew and fruit flies did me in. So I'm considering waiting for the raining season to end , I'll plant in sacks with my own soil mix.

One thing I read that really helps reduce disease in cucumbers is to prune each plant to about 2 vines. This helps with aeration and would reduce crowding.

Another interesting thing I'm currently trying to put into practice is to use aspirin. A study done in University of Rhode Island using aspirin on vegatable plants evey three weeks showed hreat improvement in the plants. Apparently aspirin boosts the plants' immunity, helping to fight disease as per prevention and in some cases reversal of the disease.

Finally can you please educate me on how to culture lacto bacillus? Or is have you posted it previously? I'd like to know.

Thank you and God bless your efforts

2 Likes

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 10:31pm On Aug 14, 2016
docfarmer3:
Kudos organic foods. Great looking cucumbers. I started growing in the soil but downey mildew and fruit flies did me in. So I'm considering waiting for the raining season to end , I'll plant in sacks with my own soil mix.

One thing I read that really helps reduce disease in cucumbers is to prune each plant to about 2 vines. This helps with aeration and would reduce crowding.

Another interesting thing I'm currently trying to put into practice is to use aspirin. A study done in University of Rhode Island using aspirin on vegatable plants evey three weeks showed hreat improvement in the plants. Apparently aspirin boosts the plants' immunity, helping to fight disease as per prevention and in some cases reversal of the disease.

Finally can you please educate me on how to culture lacto bacillus? Or is have you posted it previously? I'd like to know.

Thank you and God bless your efforts
Very true about aspirin. You can actually plant during the raining season. You just need to manage the fast leaching of nitrogen and aeration by applying nutrients rich in Nitrogen like blood meal immediately after some heavy rain fall. I will be doing some article on controlling pests on the farm soon. Good bless your quest.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by godwinufi68(m): 8:34am On Aug 18, 2016
organicfoods:
Very true about aspirin. You can actually plant during the raining season. You just need to manage the fast leaching of nitrogen and aeration by applying nutrients rich in Nitrogen like blood meal immediately after some heavy rain fall. I will be doing some article on controlling pests on the farm soon. Good bless your quest.
gudm @ our great op, sir this aspirin U re talking abt is it the drugs we normally buy from chemists? If yes, how do we apply it? Tnks 4 ur mentorship
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by organicfoods(m): 1:03am On Aug 22, 2016
kmillionaire2002:
Prune affected leaves and keep far away from the farm. Leaching of nutrients due to heavy rain is a major cause. Try and fertilize very well...Fresh blood meal will come to the rescue for the Nitrogen deficiency due to leaching.

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by phillings247: 11:11am On Aug 23, 2016
i really appreciate ur openness on this thread.pls,when selling how many fruits do u stock per bag nd how much is a bag.can u also give d cost analysis of farming 440 sacks using ur model but with 2 vines /sack
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by rem1: 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2016
We give glory to God for successful work.
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Chigorkizz(m): 3:37pm On Aug 23, 2016
Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 23, 2016
organicfoods:
I will be using this new thread to share my experience in vertical sack farming. This will serve as a learning curve for many up starter. During the journey so far, we have witnessed the emergence of this phenomenon concept called "Vertical Sack Farming" which was introduced to Nairaland by Pavore9, as a result of the little success, a lot of vertical sack farmers are emerging everyday with astonishing concept and improve version of the idea.

It is a great joy for me to be part of this revolution. Vanpeele, ishaqteejay and several others had improvise on this concept to a point of perfection. The agriculture community should be grateful to these guys for daring to sustain this form of farming thus far.

The pix outline how we started.
how long does it take from planting time to harvest time? and how much would it cost to grow and maintain a 100 sac farm?

1 Like

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by Lexusgs430: 3:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
We cannot all be farmers, keep farming, we would keep buying!!!
Afterall what use is a farmer with no customers?

4 Likes

Re: "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods by wellmax(m): 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2016
Wonderful thread, I have learnt a lot . Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Plastic Tanks For Catfish Farming / Make 200,000 Naira Or More Monthly Growing Indigenous Vegetables this Dry Season / Enugu Man Celebrates Biggest Yam Harvest (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.