Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,086 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

My NYSC Experience In Kano State - NYSC (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience In Kano State (128063 Views)

"My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa / Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2016
Fingerprinter:

One day I was going to a friend's place! I entered, the conductor wasn't hearing English as is their tradition here neither was i hearing hausa. When I told him where I was going to, he said I would pay 120. Normally the fair to that place is 50. I didn't have any option so I entered. When we took off, a man beside me asked me where I was going to because he heard when the conductor told me 120, I told him. Immediately he got angry and asked the conductor to refund me immediately. The guy did without even uttering a word. Obviously he was just out to scam me because he saw I didn't understand hausa.
Broda, forget them hausa people o, they are one of the most corrupt o!

Honestly the thing is annoying. That money still dey vex me till today

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Darey00(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2016
Fellis and finger Printer,where u expecting them to be saints? Even in Lagos or any city for that matter,so far u can't speak d local tongue or know aw d market works u are fair game wherever u go
it doesn't make any tribe more corrupt than the other.

3 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by madenigga(m): 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2016
Darey00:
Fellis and finger Printer,where u expecting them to be saints? Even in Lagos or any city for that matter,so far u can't speak d local tongue or know aw d market works u are fair game wherever u go
But they re fund of castigating others alot of being corrupt d igbos mostly

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 09, 2016
Darey00:

Cheating is wrong period.

They shouldn't take advantage of those visiting their land just cos they dont know the language.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 09, 2016
madenigga:

But they re fund of castigating others alot of being corrupt d igbos mostly

Lmao, Hausas are a gazillion times more honest than Igbos.
The worst cheating and exploitation I have heard of and experienced were done by Easterners.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by madenigga(m): 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2016
fellis:

Lmao, Hausas are a gazillion times more honest than Igbos.
The worst cheating and exploitation I have heard of and experienced were done by Easterners.
Ok anything?
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chriswazo(m): 11:05am On Aug 10, 2016
My brothers, @fingerprinter and @fellis, see am not saying they are saints o, of course they scammed me too, though mine wasn't much because i had my brother's girlfriend or my trusted hausa guy whenever am transacting with them, Noo, don't misunderstand my post, I didn't say d are saints and honest o, their brothers d east here go cheat you sef if you wan buy watch or gold from them o. Dishonesty is a universal thing o. What am saying is that i love the well mannered among them, d have rogues too o. One thing I endured among those my guys was that due to my bros owns the construction, some of them (NOT ALL) tried to take advantage of my joviality, i will buy something, d all will just rush it and most times it will just remain small with me, i will decide to keep the remaining for later use but to my disappointment, when i go out and come back, d had tampered with my remaining stuff o, d saw me as their Migida and being a foreigner among them, d abused some of my kind gestures, one of them always struggle with me for my stuff oo. Now, i had to tolerate many of such acts, not that i wasn't inconvenienced bigly, i allowed it all just to break the "ice" in them and that made my relationship with them very cordial. Of course, i had no option, i had to tolerate because am alone among them and am in their land. Let me say this, some were very exceptional in relating with me, d never offended me while some others, i had to let go their excesses just to "enter" their hearts. Is a normal thing o, everywhere, we just need to be accomodating and tolerant to enjoy their relationships. I will confess also that our neighborhood were really nice and related well to us I look forward to establishing their. @fingerprinter, please which state are you in?

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Fingerprinter(m): 11:27am On Aug 10, 2016
Chriswazo:
My brothers, @fingerprinter and @fellis, see am not saying they are saints o, of course they scammed me too, though mine wasn't much because i had my brother's girlfriend or my trusted hausa guy whenever am transacting with them, Noo, don't misunderstand my post, I didn't say d are saints and honest o, their brothers d east here go cheat you sef if you wan buy watch or gold from them o. Dishonesty is a universal thing o. What am saying is that i love the well mannered among them, d have rogues too o. One thing I endured among those my guys was that due to my bros owns the construction, some of them (NOT ALL) tried to take advantage of my joviality, i will buy something, d all will just rush it and most times it will just remain small with me, i will decide to keep the remaining for later use but to my disappointment, when i go out and come back, d had tampered with my remaining stuff o, d saw me as their Migida and being a foreigner among them, d abused some of my kind gestures, one of them always struggle with me for my stuff oo. Now, i had to tolerate many of such acts, not that i wasn't inconvenienced bigly, i allowed it all just to break the "ice" in them and that made my relationship with them very cordial. Of course, i had no option, i had to tolerate because am alone among them and am in their land. Let me say this, some were very exceptional in relating with me, d never offended me while some others, i had to let go their excesses just to "enter" their hearts. Is a normal thing o, everywhere, we just need to be accomodating and tolerant to enjoy their relationships. I will confess also that our neighborhood were really nice and related well to us I look forward to establishing their. @fingerprinter, please which state are you in?

Kano

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chriswazo(m): 12:24pm On Aug 10, 2016
Fingerprinter:

Kano
Alright bro, me i will like any of Jos or Kadunna, Kano is okay too. Please how's accommodation like in that your Kano side, say self contained, and a bedroom flat? What are their prices and which one is more prevalent in your area?
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Fingerprinter(m): 1:04pm On Aug 10, 2016
Chriswazo:

Alright bro, me i will like any of Jos or Kadunna, Kano is okay too. Please how's accommodation like in that your Kano side, say self contained, and a bedroom flat? What are their prices and which one is more prevalent in your area?

It depends on the area! In sabon gari where almost every foreigner stays, a self contained apartment goes between 90k to 120k. I really do not know the price of a bedroom flat
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chriswazo(m): 1:14pm On Aug 10, 2016
Fingerprinter:

It depends on the area! In sabon gari where almost every foreigner stays, a self contained apartment goes between 90k to 120k. I really do not know the price of a bedroom flat
okay sir, thank you
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chriswazo(m): 3:26pm On Aug 10, 2016
Fingerprinter:

please sir, I hope their self cons in that range are provided with a functioning water system? i forgot to ask that, is very important o
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Fingerprinter(m): 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2016
Chriswazo:

please sir, I hope their self cons in that range are provided with a functioning water system? i forgot to ask that, is very important o
Some have while some others do not have
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chriswazo(m): 4:35pm On Aug 10, 2016
Fingerprinter:

Some have while some others do not have
nawa o, ba h2o na big problem o for self con, na caste. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by nnamdiosu(m): 11:47pm On Aug 11, 2016
Darey00:

wise words.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 9:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
Chriswazo:
mrphysics, see let me tell you something, i like your write up and understand your position towards the North or better put " Kano" conservative lifestyle, but bro if you ask me, i will always prefer life in the North to life in the east. I love the cool hausa people, look out for them, and i promise you, you gonna enjoy that city. I stayed in Bauchi for a month and the experience i got from the cool sets among them, i will never forget. This same experience i had is what is pulling me today to go back there for my service and by God's grace i will start life there. Bro just humble yourself and associate with them with a free mind, you won't regret it. I wish I have the time to pour out my heart to you, inasmuch as my friends there were actually my brother's workers, i joked freely with them all even with the site engineers and the senior labourers among them, i "entered" their hearts. I was confident that if any one was planning to harm me, that all of them would have rallied around me in defense. One day like that i quarreled with our block suppliers because he disobeyed my instructions to off load the blocks at a particular site, he came back the second time and disobeyed me the second time, i was just looking at him, as he was about to start truck, just as his workers were waving at me bye bye as their custom were anytime d are going, this man (he is even a fulani, a sect that i dread too much, and he is also the manager of the block company) he came down surprisingly and walked up to me and gave me a 500 naira note which he said i should use for my launch and as well apologized over our disagreements. I was so moved with compassion as d waved me bye, that's why i so much love cool tempered and friendly hausas even here in the east, i always help them with anything d need me for, why? Because d have been so so good to me. During their break hours then, d will wash pray and we will go in groups to buy food or relax outside. The only problem that i had with a few of them, i will say is when i started getting close to their sisters that came to sell their foods (mama put). I became so close to them to the extent that about 2 or 3 of the guys started looking at me somehow and will say somethings in their language and as well started withdrawing themselves, i know d felt jealous because some of the girls liked me and will always sit around me in the shade that i always sat and we will be chatting and d will be using my phones, i started teasing one of them sef that is really busty that i will like to "razzle" but she said No, that she loves me but will like me to be touching my head on the ground (that is convert), i told her ok, let's date, no marriage, she still refused saying the same thing and their anger for me is borne out of my interest for the busty gal, because d themselves were rallying around her, obviously to razzle her too, so my presence intimidated them and is a normal thing. Bro if i can enjoy Bauchi that is very dry and small, how much more you that is in a bigger city like Kano. All it will cost you is money to spend, a FREE Mind and a humble spirit, forget say d are illiterates, who literacy help? start associating with the locals, d are d ones that will spoil you and give you the basic gists that you need and can as well protect you if you treat them well. I noticed that you are only flocking with corpers and your students. My closest friends in my university days are my northern friends, though d are igbos but they have those northern traits and i found them more trustworthy than my igbo friends wey too d jonse. The regret i have is that i am not yet fluent in hausa neither do i understand it well, it hampered my relationship with them because many of them can't hear English both with the male and female folks, the worst being the females, that couldn't hear even pidgin, the busty gal that i wanted to razzle no d hear even the English word "No", na say her friends d interpret my pidgin to am, in other occasions, na my guys d interpret for me. imagine that kind frustration, na y i no collect Anyone of them(ladies) their phone numbers, it was really frustrating and generally i enjoyed and cruised Bauchi city because i had the money to spend then with them and they really enjoyed my company. In short, i liked many of them and d like me too, not because i was their "Migida" but i have learned how to enter people's heart and i always do wherever i am. Bro, feel free and enjoy those people, they are still God's creatures and do have their jovial and friendly sides and above all respect their religion. I almost caused "kasalla" for myself when i unknowingly flouted their religion ordinance by going to touch one of them as he was praying and trying to pass in front of them praying but i was corrected in love and i quickly apologized. So mrphysics, there's nothing to fear, feel free and enjoy yourself while living in obedience to their rules o, Is there land, remember.

thank much. I love obeying rules and I am very: jovial

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 9:28pm On Aug 14, 2016
Darey00:
This OP sha dey give us chop sha.

I'm serving in a town close to Katsina city in Katsina state. I can say one or two things

1. Islamic education and Western education DO NOT go hand-in-hand. The students go to school in the morning then come back in the evening for Islamic class. I know this cos I teach in a public school and my fellow corp members who r Muslims also teach them
2. I have seen Hausa students in Katsina city WITH THEIR SCHOOL UNIFORM ON,and NO HIJAB in the public.

Many of the previous posters are not entirely wrong cos the OP is just painting a very exaggerated picture of Kano.

PS: Katsina is 2hrs from Kano hence the comparison

Point one is not wrong but here in Kano, even the morning school u think they go is islamiyya. see brother, this is a simple experiment, imagine someone starting western education at early stage yet can't here or speak English. if I post my students answer sheet u will agree but I won't. Your second point is a rape of truth, even Kano natives won't agree with that. it doesn't happen in Kano:.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by tysontim(m): 10:38am On Aug 28, 2016
mrphysics pls update this thread! people are waiting, especially people we won visit kano
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:45am On Aug 28, 2016
tysontim:
mrphysics pls update this thread! people are waiting, especially people we won visit kano
Okay sir
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Ugosample(m): 4:55pm On Dec 24, 2016
I really enjoyed this thread... mrphysics, oya come and give update
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 6:31pm On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:
I really enjoyed this thread...
mrphysics, oya come and give update
Lol, very soon, iwill update the thread, it's going to be the conclusion of my service year in kano State. I have not forgotten the thread
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Ugosample(m): 6:48pm On Dec 24, 2016
mrphysics:

Lol, very soon, iwill update the thread, it's going to be the conclusion of my service year in kano State. I have not forgotten the thread

Okay....
Eagerly anticipating
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 24, 2016
FredN:
Kudos to you OP...

Your writing style is unique, it follows like a train of thought on paper, devoid of literary gymnastics but mesmerising and captivating all the same

I am glad, the idiots who have never read a book not translated from arabic did not dampen your spirit. You really approach your perspective with a open mind which I must say is a miracle considering overwhelming number of reasons not to; If those defenders of Kano knew they are doing more damage by attacking your view the wrong way....

I will never visit Kano or invest in Kano not because I dont think Kano is a rich place or highly developed.. no that's not why I won't visit Kano.

The reason why I will not visit Kano is this....if the educated kano youths who have come far enough to be able to visit nairaland and post comments hold such myopic and jihadi views of life, devoid of a universal values of tolerance in a faceless internet forum like this, if the "educated 10% of kano population who are supposed to be the "ELITES" can hold such sentiments, one even threatening the OP. ... I shiver and shudder at how the other 90% "regular" ab0kis will react

I dont think I share this sentiments alone. Millions of youths who have real values will never be caught dead in Kano. Kano might have been a great city, probably an African Dubai but for these ones... it is a dream that is dead on arrival

gbam
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by battoyyeb(m): 1:32pm On Dec 28, 2016
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
battoyyeb:

Boss
I was posted to Kano Batch B stream 1
My PPA is Bayero university

Welcome to Kano State
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Ugosample(m): 4:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
So are you guys saying that all these stereotypes many have of Kano state is not true?
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by bammy2050(m): 4:05pm On Dec 31, 2016
@ O. P you should be a comedian... I love your story mehn.....
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by samuelkingz(m): 3:58pm On Jan 01, 2017
I am in batch b stream 1 and was posted to kumbosto.. When I went to my ppa..a sec school..I first had pity on the school before having pity on myself.... Hausa language everywhere..no English.. If you speak too much you would hear mallam na turenchi meaning I don't understand English. The accommodation is zero...the beauty of kano is nassarawa and co...sabongari is ugly..i cant say that what the op is saying is true cos i havent experienced them due to the fact that i am new but older collegues i have had the opportunity to interact with are confirming most of the op statements like dressings,being jeered and stoned,male-female distance...the sacredness of friday jumaat etc..but in all one just needs to be open minded and learn...thats the bane of nysc..@op and kano residents...i need accimodation in shagari quarters and need help..how much shld I budget though I have a small budget..and I need help in finding one so pls do not hesitate in helping me..thanks you all and happy new year
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by kkins25(m): 11:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
mrphysics:
@ tabithababy, you claimed I deleted this thread. You have no basis for your useless claims. You come online ranting like a she goat. Someone who have passed out, living in his father's house is under threat, you are of all women most foolish.
.. the story didnt end
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 5:41am On Apr 25, 2017
kkins25:
.. the story didnt end
I will soon update that post. Got very engaged and needed to have a lot of things added into it. The story is my own personal experience in Kano and I want it to be something I can read anytime and get an overview of my stay in Kano

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by tabithababy(f): 8:05am On Apr 25, 2017
mrphysics:
@ tabithababy, you claimed I deleted this thread. You have no basis for your useless claims. You come online ranting like a she goat. Someone who have passed out, living in his father's house is under threat, you are of all women most foolish.
. You are the most stupid person have ever seen. Keep creating new threads about kano. Like I said, followers of this thread, the op is being threatened. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

55 Things Nysc Members Should Not Leave Home Without! / Missing Corper Stephanie Se-Ember Terungwa Is Dead, Her Vital Parts Removed / NYSC 2014 Batch A Corp Members House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.