Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up (20100 Views)

Ogoni Clean-Up Will Take 30 Years To Complete / Pictures Of Ogoni Clean-up / Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by HungerBAD: 3:11am On Jun 02, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari will today visit Rivers State to inaugurate the clean-up of the Ogoni land ravaged by oil spill and production degradation.

The clean-up will be inaugurated at Numuu-Tekuru Waterfront in Bodo-Ogoni, Gokana local government in line with the recommendations of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report on Ogoniland’s environmental assessment. It was presented to former President Goodluck Jonathan on August 12, 2011.

Ahead of the visit, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) were yesterday trading accusations over alleged plot to disrupt the president’s visit.

But Governor Nyesom Wike sued for peace, urging the people to give a rousing welcome to “our amiable president.”

In a broadcast, the governor said: “As part of measures to enhance security during Mr. President’s visit, I hereby place a ban on the operations of motorcycles and tricycles in Gokana and Khana LGAs between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Thursday, 2nd June 2016. The security agencies have been directed to enforce this ban and ensure full compliance.

“I call on Rivers people, particularly the people of Ogoni land, to come out in great numbers and give our amiable President a rousing welcome during his visit.”

The governor added: “It is historic because it marks his first official visit to the state since assuming office as the President of this great nation. It is most significant because Mr. President is not on a political mission, but to kick-start the largest environmental clean-up in our nation’s history, for which Rivers people, and indeed the Niger Delta, will remain grateful.

“I call on Rivers people to be peaceful, law-abiding and demonstrate the traditional Rivers hospitality towards Mr. President and his distinguished entourage throughout the visit. As I have noted earlier, Mr. President is here as the father of the nation, who cares about the environmental and developmental challenges that we face as one of his primary constituencies.

“Accordingly, his presence in Rivers State is not an occasion for political campaigns by anybody or political party. Rather, it is an occasion and an opportunity for us to demonstrate unity of purpose and our readiness to work together with Mr. President to move Rivers State.

Ogoni leaders were yesterday holding meetings at Korokoro-Tai-Ogoni in Tai local government area, to ensure the success of the visit and for the youths not to allow themselves to be used to disrupt the strategic visit.

Paramount rulers from the four Ogoni local government areas, – Khana, Gokana, Tai and Eleme – as well as the President of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), Legborsi Pyagbara; youth leaders, women groups, religious leaders and top politicians, among others, attended the meetings.

Rivers APC, through its Publicity Secretary, Chris Finebone, alleged that hoodlums working for the PDP would protest in Ogoni during the president’s visit.

But Special Assistant on Electronic Media to the governor, Mr. Simeon Nwakaudu, accused the APC leaders in the state of wanting to cause confusion.

Rivers police Spokesman Muhammad Ahmad, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), yesterday said: “The Police are fully prepared about the President’s visit in line with our operational order and in conjunction with the military.

“Mr. President is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. So, you must expect the security to be very tight, to avoid any incident. With the deployment of adequate personnel and necessary equipment already done, water-tight security will be provided.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-rivers-ogoni-clean/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by FirstTImeUser: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2016
Safe trip Mr President.

God bless Nigeria

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by reverendfather: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2016
okay we dry wait am
Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by thaoriginator: 3:25am On Jun 02, 2016
Sai Baba!

Where are. Those useless, selfish and conniving Avengers? Where are they?

Come out and block the line while the King Of The North (GCFR) is passing.. Thunder strike that una ugly black baboon faces.. Buffoons!

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Nobody: 3:41am On Jun 02, 2016
Let em not come and start d blame game again. Buhari shld start working the campaign time is over!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by OgatheTop: 3:43am On Jun 02, 2016
Bastarrd illiterate president.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by GudluckIBB(m): 3:46am On Jun 02, 2016
And if they don't kill Buhari when he visits Ogoni today as threatened,it means the Avengers are Bastards like Doyin Okupe.

Nonsense!

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by chriskosherbal(m): 4:01am On Jun 02, 2016
OK I see
Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Abeymills(m): 4:04am On Jun 02, 2016
Yeye president wicked soul

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by greatgod2012(f): 4:35am On Jun 02, 2016
Dear PMB, please, don't go and spark unnecessary fire there with your utterances o.

Remember it's wiser to talk less and listen more. That's one of the very important qualities of a leader that can never be over emphasized.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by greatgod2012(f): 4:38am On Jun 02, 2016
On another thought, I hope Mr President will not cancel the trip again like he did with Lagos and Calabar.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by babdap: 5:08am On Jun 02, 2016
If Niger Delta terrorist don't carry out their treat they are coward and chest beaters

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by omenka(m): 5:31am On Jun 02, 2016
Safe trip Mr President.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by onyiloyi(m): 5:42am On Jun 02, 2016
Long live PMB

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 02, 2016
This could be his greatest achievement in office after the fight against Boko Haram....
The people of Ogoni can now look forward to a safer environment after years of environmental degradation.
Ken must be a happy man wherever he is.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by ASL33: 5:52am On Jun 02, 2016
Haba will baba be in Senegal and Ogoni at the same time?
Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Nobody: 6:06am On Jun 02, 2016
If them born Avengers well make una try kil buhari. River state will be a grave yard in 24hrs

21 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Ebbunwa(m): 6:07am On Jun 02, 2016
the military would be greater cowards if they fail to CRUSH these avengers who keep embarrassing them, carrying out their attacks amidst heavy military presence.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by DaGC(m): 6:18am On Jun 02, 2016
Safe trip and may it be fruitful.

Hopefully, more communities will get cleaned up too.

Congratulations to the Ogoni people and Rivers state.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by ionsman: 6:36am On Jun 02, 2016
I am awaiting this headline today "Breaking news: Pmb killed in ogoniland". grin

The president is coming to do something historic,instead, you are threatening him not to come for something which benefits our people.Isn't this ironic?

So,what exactly are they fighting for?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by mickeyenglish(m): 6:44am On Jun 02, 2016
Chai ! Anyway! It z a very matured move atleast, to shun all those who have labelled him as an oversea "ajala travel".. I just hope those justice league or Avengers don't wake up today with a very frenzy feeling of destruction.. Na so hotel Rwanda start when tutsi rebels blew up the plane of the Rwandan president. Me i know wan start to dey kill my neighbours.

Post No Bill....

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by BossKratos: 6:49am On Jun 02, 2016
grin
OgatheTop:
Bastarrd illiterate president.

Confused, pained, corruption loving, frustrated, shekpe sipping, bitter militant spotted!

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by wordsmith042(m): 7:09am On Jun 02, 2016
i wouldnt been taken by suprise, to hear this trip has been cancelled.. Just watching though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:11am On Jun 02, 2016
FirstTImeUser:
Safe trip Mr President.

God bless Nigeria
Thank you.
Amen

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by 5starmilitant: 7:12am On Jun 02, 2016
babdap:
If Niger Delta terrorist don't carry out their treat they are coward and chest beaters

Yes, they are cowards like buhari, buruntashi and his boys scout. Cos every day they keep crushing the avengers with their mouths.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:13am On Jun 02, 2016
Safe stay mr President.
God bless PMB/Nigeria.
Hope haters won't dislike me for wishing my country and president well.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by idu1(m): 7:13am On Jun 02, 2016
Safe trip sir

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:14am On Jun 02, 2016
mickeyenglish:
Chai ! Anyway! It z a very matured move atleast, to shun all those who have labelled him as an oversea "ajala travel".. I just hope those justice league or Avengers don't wake up today with a very frenzy feeling of destruction.. Na so hotel Rwanda start when tutsi rebels blew up the plane of the Rwandan president. Me i know wan start to dey kill my neighbours.

Post No Bill....

Hmmmmmm

Good for you
Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by Tellemall: 7:14am On Jun 02, 2016
Why is their governor begging them to come out and welcome their president?

Does this mean that nobody wants to?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:18am On Jun 02, 2016
ionsman:
I am awaiting this headline today "Breaking news: Pmb killed in ogoniland". grin

The president is coming to do something historic,instead, you are threatening him not to come for something which benefits our people.Isn't this ironic?

So,what exactly are they fighting for?

Just imagine Nigerians wishing their president negativities they cant inherit for themselves.

For your information before he even visited there Secret service have gone there to checkmate security situations and it is ok before he visits and also all the water ways will be closed throughout his stay there.

If you need death. It will be on you or your household.

Any Amen to this Nairalanders?

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by 5starmilitant: 7:21am On Jun 02, 2016
5starmilitant:

Yes, they are cowards like buhari, buruntashi and his boys scout. Cos every day they keep crushing the avengers with their mouths.
t
Re: Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up by splendid2: 7:25am On Jun 02, 2016
GudluckIBB:
And if they don't kill Buhari when he visits Ogoni today as threatened,it means the Avengers are Bastards like Doyin Okupe.

Nonsense!
Nothing will happen to d president. Beside, dt threat did not come 4rm their official media channel

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obasanjo Lands In Borno For Nigeria Zero Hunger Forum Meeting(photos) / Governor Akinwunmi Ambode - The True Lagos Legacy / Police Smash Lagos-Ibadan Highway Kidnap Syndicate, Gang Members Flee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.