Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,002 members, 7,806,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme (48075 Views)

FEC Approves The Scrapping Of HND Certificate / ASUU Rejects FG's Scrapping Of Post-UTME (See Why) / ASUU kicks against FG’s scrapping of Post-UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by bettercreature(m): 2:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
prahcetomi:
jamb should be scrapped, not post ume
Exactly!

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by fratermathy(m): 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2016
Beehshorp:
Jamb should be scraped.. Cos if I don't want to be sent to Zaria or Zamfara to school based on dis redistribution process..
Let our choice of institution remain our choice of institution.. Also the cutoff mark in some uni be brought down.. Post ume checkmates a lot of things.. This no post ume stuff favors dose with the silver spoon
If they scrap jamb, no one will apply for poly and colleges of education again.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 3:07pm On Jun 03, 2016
It will not be an understatement to say our education policy makers in Nigeria doesn't have what it takes to pilot and guide the advancement of our education institutions. Scrapping of Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) is an old path to educational advancement in our country. Our policy makers should wake from their slumber and think out of the box. So far each university has autonomy for development and growth, they should be independent in setting there standards like other institutions all over the world. JAMB should not have business with conduct of examinations rather there statutory act should be reduced/amended to regulatory and quality assurance of our institutions only. Each institutions should be legally strengthen to set procedures in admitting prospective students to its university community. Each learning institutions should be allowed to develop and compete at different sustainable paces.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by annnikky(f): 3:11pm On Jun 03, 2016
xender:
It will be better they say everyone should write any two schools they desire scrap JAMB instead .
I concur

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by geesilver(m): 3:14pm On Jun 03, 2016
xender:
how do you mean reshuffle? Howwilll you carry me to a university I don't want and a course I never wanted .
May be e go carry u for head like dada.
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 03, 2016
NigerianScholar:
I am strongly in support of this...i know most of you arent. But to make this post simple to understand i'll number all my points
1. The scrapping of the post utme favours those that scored high marks in jamb and dosent favoured those that had technical problems
2. This would strongly reduce the 'egunje' in many universities. Meaning buying admission. As the scores that will be used to produce your cut off will come from your utme
3. It will save students a lot of stress for travelling all the way to a place just to write another exam and prevent extortion of money from parents by the university (******* university charge 6500 for their p utme)
4. There are many concerns about most people not gaining admission into their preferred institutions. Yes, this may be bad. But it would be a good thing in the long run. As it would let the enrollment into all institutions balanced. Everyone wants to go to unilag. Ui. Oau or whatsoever.....they should encourage people to try other universities
5. It doesnt make sense to write 2 exams for the same purpose. And if the university organises its exams. Like I said before....there would be ojoro
6. Jamb is going to shuffle canditates across different tertiary institutions

Give your views below. I actually dont see any reason why this is a welcome idea

will this development affect those who have direct entry in mind?
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by JoeCutie(m): 3:22pm On Jun 03, 2016
Good. Even a better move would be scrapping that stupid NYSC. Uproot the scam from the root jhoor. NYSC is irrelevant. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by horlawharley(m): 3:23pm On Jun 03, 2016
Scrap jamb now
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Habeebsalisu1(m): 3:26pm On Jun 03, 2016
The competition wil b high in universities o putme really helps to reduce the number of applicant for a course
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by abatisegun: 3:30pm On Jun 03, 2016
NigerianScholar:
I am strongly in support of this...i know most of you arent. But to make this post simple to understand i'll number all my points
1. The scrapping of the post utme favours those that scored high marks in jamb and dosent favoured those that had technical problems
2. This would strongly reduce the 'egunje' in many universities. Meaning buying admission. As the scores that will be used to produce your cut off will come from your utme
3. It will save students a lot of stress for travelling all the way to a place just to write another exam and prevent. extortion of money from parents by the university (******* university charge 6500 for their p utme)
4. There are many concerns about most people not gaining admission into their preferred institutions. Yes, this may be bad. But it would be a good thing in the long run. As it would let the enrollment into all institutions balanced. Everyone wants to go to unilag. Ui. Oau or whatsoever.....they should encourage people to try other universities
5. It doesnt make sense to write 2 exams for the same purpose. And if the university organises its exams. Like I said before....there would be ojoro

Give your views below. I actually dont see any reason why this is a welcome idea

. True talk

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by abatisegun: 3:30pm On Jun 03, 2016
NigerianScholar:
3. It will save students a lot of stress for travelling all the way to a place just to write another exam and prevent. extortion of money from parents by the university (******* university charge 6500 for their p utme)

. True talk. Though your opinion

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by flokii: 3:33pm On Jun 03, 2016
It's going to be survival of the fittest..

Once you score below 250, just forget some skols.. So you can imagine those that will score 190 (above 180 cut-off)

I dnt think this is d solution.. So many flaws in d system
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by UuzbaGuuzba: 3:35pm On Jun 03, 2016
dapsondou:
JAMB should be scrapped. Scrapping post UTME is not the solution. JAMB is not a trusted body.
If each school can organise their own exams on their own and a candidate can apply for as many schools as he/she wants it would be better. He/she will gain admission to one of them.

And to the op. Your excuse of travelling to write an exam, didn't the candidate know where he/she picked in the first place?

I totally agree.

JAMB is riddled with holes and lies and under-G runs.
Each university should organise it's exam. You like the UNi, you do the exam. You pass, they take you. You fail, go to another UNi and do that exam.

Next time, when you gain admission, they won't tell you to read. you will read by yourself.

Learn how to apply to Universities because you are going to be applying for jobs after graduating.

Be serious NOW.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by kevoh(m): 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2016
JAMB should focus more in achieving 100% score in their CBTs. This year's performance was woeful affecting a large percentage of candidates negatively. Meanwhile, they can scrap P-UTME if they like, the Universities will simply give the entrance exam a rebranded name and it will back to business as usual.
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 03, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:
It will not be an understatement to say our education policy makers in Nigeria doesn't have what it takes to pilot and guide the advancement of our education institutions. Scrapping of Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) is an old path to educational advancement in our country. Our policy makers should wake from their slumber and think out of the box. So far each university has autonomy for development and growth, they should be independent in setting there standards like other institutions all over the world. JAMB should not have business with conduct of examinations rather there statutory act should be reduced/amended to regulatory and quality assurance of our institutions only. Each institutions should be legally strengthen to set procedures in admitting prospective students to its university community. Each learning institutions should be allowed to develop and compete at different sustainable paces.

I believe JAMB should still be in existence, but should be reformed in a way that most unscrupulous elements would be weeded out if the organization.

The schools could set their own cut-off marks for their different faculties, aside from the minimum of 180 that has been set by the ministry of education.

In addition to the cut-off marks, the tertiary institutions could require prospective students to submit personal essays, explaining in detail why they (applicants) want to study at a particular school; and also request for their senior secondary school transcripts.

A combination of SS transcripts, WAEC results and JAMB scores should be sufficient criteria for admission into tertiary schools.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Harrisonwo(m): 3:54pm On Jun 03, 2016
JAMB should not be scrapped totally. Let's leave the institutions to conduct the entrance exam themselves.
Jamb should be used as it is now, just that the exam should be set and written in the various institutions. Jamb should just forward the names of those who applied for the school to the skul itself. The various skuls should cme together, set a price for their entrance exams, jamb provide a means for the students to register then they send the list to the skul.
This way, those special centre or chokes gotten a day/on the exam day will be eliminated. Those who didn't perform well in the exam will only have themselves to blame. There wnt be exploitation from desperate candidates eg a student will be running to many institutions to write exam thereby wasting money. The two institutions choice should be reintroduced and then we can get the best brains and nt those who score 250+ in jamb and can't make 180 in pume

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by MaziOmenuko: 4:02pm On Jun 03, 2016
Silly decision by the minister. They should know better than making silly pronouncement without inviting all stakeholders to a round-table conference.

Those rejoicing haven't seen anything yet. University will device a means to make money. They will keep cut-off score so high that only 12 people will be on the merit list. the remaining 19,992 will pay for supplementary form for the remaining 88 slots for the course of study and runs will full everywhere.

The best thing would have been to use Universities as UME centres for students that wants to study in the same university. Then staff from the universities will be invited to participate in supervising the students. So one exam will serve as both UME and POSTUME.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by CurrentSamuel(m): 4:03pm On Jun 03, 2016
Wahoo this action. ..Am actually mute for now
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by IFAC(m): 4:03pm On Jun 03, 2016
POST UTME HAS NOT BEEN SCRAPPED! read the statement carefully institution might wish to conduct screening for their candidates.
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by lexydefacto5(m): 4:12pm On Jun 03, 2016
Nice move from the FG
NigerianScholar:
3. It will save students a lot of stress for travelling all the way to a place just to write another exam and prevent extortion of money from parents by the university (******* university charge 6500 for their p utme)

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Koreslee(m): 4:24pm On Jun 03, 2016
Beehshorp:
Jamb should be scraped.. Cos if I don't want to be sent to Zaria or Zamfara to school based on dis redistribution process..
Let our choice of institution remain our choice of institution.. Also the cutoff mark in some uni be brought down.. Post ume checkmates a lot of things.. This no post ume stuff favors dose with the silver spoon

Nigga the thing is that you will be transferred to your state
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Taduma1(f): 4:31pm On Jun 03, 2016
I really support de motion, imagine a uni that has been told to admit just 7000 candidate for a particular session, but instead they sold out 65000 putme form to being and not an animal, tell me thats not corruption , to my calculation if we subtract 7k from 65k we'll get 58k , so 58000 multiply by 3000 thats 174mill from my calculation, now tell me if that's not what we call fraud. @ unilorin 2015/2016 session.... Repent b4 is too late

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by IamLukas(m): 4:42pm On Jun 03, 2016
Those of U clamouring for Jamb to be scrapped have U considered how it will also affect the smooth running of admission processes?
Some students will have their scores before they sit for their school entrance exams and merit will be so small and limited
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by IamLukas(m): 4:44pm On Jun 03, 2016
It has!
Screening can be conducted but it won't be in an exam format.
IFAC:
POST UTME HAS NOT BEEN SCRAPPED!
read the statement carefully
institution might wish to conduct screening for their candidates.
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Jok3r(m): 4:45pm On Jun 03, 2016
NigerianScholar:

nice thank you

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by FuckTheM0ds(m): 4:51pm On Jun 03, 2016
xender:
Scrapping JAMB would had been better. How will they admit students then . Imagine a school like U.I , uniben,unilorin. Where the number of applicants are about 11 000 for only medicine and they can accommodate only 100 how will the screening be done That means the cut of mark will rise to 290or 300. And we all know that JAMB is not a trusted body . We saw how they truncated a lot of students this year.
best comment ever.
The rest of those advocating for scrapping of post utme are nothing but big fools

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by FuckTheM0ds(m): 4:54pm On Jun 03, 2016
IamLukas:
It has!
Screening can be conducted but it won't be in an exam format.
will you shut up. Is it because idiotic jamb favoured you with 287 thats why youre typing gibberish here.
Listen up retar'd. Post utme hasn't been scrapped. The FG minister was just assuming.
I know youre afraid of Uniben's post utme exams. Then shall it be verified of the credibility of that your utme score
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by xender(m): 5:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
geesilver:

May be e go carry u for head like dada.
. Lol..nawa too you o

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by babz11(m): 5:02pm On Jun 03, 2016
Admission now depends on who ur father's knows or how reach ur parent are... It would have been better to scrap jamb...
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by Richardonald(m): 5:04pm On Jun 03, 2016
I think the best thing is creating of more higher institution...GBAM
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by NigerianScholar: 5:11pm On Jun 03, 2016
frankkingston:
to me jamb should be scrap...

what will happen to students who wrote dere exam first week of jamb, dt 40 marks wer added nd later removed...

or d students dt wrote on d 8,9,10

better still, d scraping of post ume should start next year nd nt dis yr... cus d results where bad...
imagine schs like uniben ui nd co, with over thousands of applicant, aw will d screening be conducted if post ume is scrap...

I Jst feel post ume shud be written dis yr, den next yr dey can introduce wat ever policy dey like... thank you....
Even if the results were bad. It doesnt matter. This would be better in the long run. Because universities and candidates would forward their complaints to jamb and theyll keep on improving and getting better

Post utme will most likely be biased. Would favour d rich and people that have connections

This move would reduce the number of applicants for ui and unilag. Because they will know that theyll get redistributed I they score an average mark
Re: Understanding The Scrapping Of Post Utme by NigerianScholar: 5:13pm On Jun 03, 2016
That is why jamb said. Present your problems to us....we will adress them. Most complaints about jamb were from lazy students. Its nt like these things dont happen in p utme
Adekorya:
It's actually a good development by FG, but the development also is not free of disadvantages as stated by Muslim Right Concern

Not to talk of system problem that normally arouse during Jamb exams Where the intelligent one are scoring below the cut off mark because of technical issues.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem / University Of Uyo Cult War: Security Man Injured (Graphic Photos) / DMGS: The Oldest Secondary School In Igboland (Then And Now Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.