Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android (26954 Views)

How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why / USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android Devices / USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by kingsamm(m): 6:33pm On Jun 03, 2016
OTG is short for On-The-Go. It is a standard that allows devices to talk(connect) to one another. OTG is a simple that can do a lot of amazing things but a lot of people have not even heard about it, some have heard about it but don't know what it is or what it does.

In this post, I'll be listing a few cool stuffs you can do with a USB OTG cable.

Connecting A Game Pad To An Android Device

For a hardcore gamer, playing games on an android screen just won't be good enough. However with the use of an OTG cable, you can easily connect your game pad to your android phone and get the same gaming experience as on a Playstation or Xbox.

Connecting A Mouse To Your Android Phone

With the aid of an OTG cable you can connect a mouse to your android device. When a mouse is connected to your Android using a USB OTG cable, a mouse pointer appears on the screen allowing you to click to select and open items on the screen.
The touch screen continues to function as normal even when a mouse is connected.

Sharing Battery Charge Between Two Devices

This days, we see devices with extra large battery capacities like the oukitel K10000 with 10,000mah or Tecno L8 with 5050mah. All that battery is too much to use alone, with OTG you can share some of that battery with friends and families... Enemies too just to make them jealous.. Lol
To share battery charge between two phones, all you need is an OTG cable and a regular charger cable.
When you have everything ready, connect the charger cable to one of the phones and connect the OTG cable to the other phone. Attach the two cables together, the phone with a smaller charge level will start to charge.
The charging will continue until the batteries of both phones has almost the same level of charge. However you can stop the charging anytime by disconnecting the cables.

Connecting A Modem To Your Phone/Tablet

People who have WiFi only tablets or devices without 3G support might need to use 3G Modem with their Android device to get something downloaded quickly when their broadband is too slow or down.
This can be done using an Android app called PPP Widget. Just as the name suggests, it is a widget, not an app. It is available for free in the Play Store. You can download it to your device from here.

Superfast File Transfer Between Two Devices

There are various methods of transferring files between devices like Bluetooth, Hot Knot, Xender/flash share etc. However there are often complications when using some of these methods. One of safest ways to share files between two Android devices is sharing it via OTG.
You can make a direct connection between the two Android phones/tablets and transfer files between Android via USB OTG.

Connecting A Keyboard To Your Android Device

A USB keyboard can be connected to your Android Device using a USB OTG cable, touch inside a text input area to start typing using the keyboard.
The on-screen keyboard is hidden when a physical keyboard is connected.
Some of the key combinations that perform actions on Windows also function on a phone/tablet, in most apps. For example, you can Cut using (Ctrl + X), Copy using (Ctrl + C), and Paste using (Ctrl + V) on your keyboard.

Connecting A Flash Drive To Your Android Device

Certain devices like the S6 and S6 edge do not support SD card instead they come with internal storage ranging from 16GB to 128GB.
So when your storage is full you have no choice but to start deleting older files to collect new ones. However by connecting a flash drive to your Android device, you get more storage space at your disposal.

These are some of the coolest uses of an OTG cable.

You can get an OTG Cable at stores or on Konga/Jumia from N500.

http://www.naijatechs.com/2016/06/Uses-of-usb-otg-cable.html

40 Likes 9 Shares

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 03, 2016
Cool info. Well-done OP

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by hotspec(m): 6:40pm On Jun 03, 2016
info is gud
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by taiwoliu(m): 9:41pm On Jun 03, 2016
Was aware of 1 or 2, will try others soon... ..but Op, if even 1 of them no work for me, I go tell Oga Lai to Include your name in the list of corrupt Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Nero2220(m): 9:53pm On Jun 03, 2016
Can I move files from my phone to flash drive using otg cable?
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Kingy10: 10:05pm On Jun 03, 2016
Wired printer nko?
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by kingsamm(m): 1:11am On Jun 04, 2016
taiwoliu:
Was aware of 1 or 2, will try others soon... ..but Op, if even 1 of them no work for me, I go tell Oga Lai to Include your name in the list of corrupt Nigerians.

Hahaha... Abeg oO
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by kingsamm(m): 1:12am On Jun 04, 2016
Kingy10:

Wired printer nko...Have u tried that?

Nah.. I haven't you could try it tho..
So long as it has a USB port, it should work

1 Like

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by kingsamm(m): 1:12am On Jun 04, 2016
Nero2220:
Can I move files from my phone to flash drive using otg cable?

Yea.. You can
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by dominique(f): 11:41am On Jun 04, 2016
It's just N500
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by aieromon(m): 3:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
dominique:
It's just N500

You can even get it for #300.
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by dominique(f): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2016
aieromon:

You can even get it for #300.

True, just saw it on Jumia
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by gluegist: 5:32pm On Jun 04, 2016
KingJB:
Cool info. Well-done OP
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Nogodye(m): 5:36pm On Jun 04, 2016
Noted!
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by klinpami(f): 5:36pm On Jun 04, 2016
Nice/ Connecting A Game Pad To An Android Device is my fav smiley

1 Like

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by allisonluvsu(m): 5:36pm On Jun 04, 2016
k
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by legaxi(m): 5:37pm On Jun 04, 2016
Does IPhone has such cable?
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Lero15(m): 5:38pm On Jun 04, 2016
not all android phones support OTG

My phone doesn't
sad

1 Like

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Smartlife(m): 5:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
Is it possible to connect it to your television set
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Johnbosco77(m): 5:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
correct info.
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Phonefanatic: 5:46pm On Jun 04, 2016
legaxi:
Does IPhone has such cable?

When they said iPhone users are caged you won't agree. It simply doesn't work on iPhones.

8 Likes

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by blessyndbest(m): 5:46pm On Jun 04, 2016
does infinix hot 2 x510 supports otg
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by kelymod(f): 5:47pm On Jun 04, 2016
Otg cable is smart life
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 04, 2016
ouch gosh ouch gosh.
I had like 2 of this cable but thought it was useless/use to share battery with other device.
gawdamn f.ucked up
I'm getting one ASAP...
But op if those numerous functions u listed above don't work then u are '
'beef for the stew'

1 Like

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by molydonhenry(m): 5:48pm On Jun 04, 2016
@op Does every android device support OTG?
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Phonefanatic: 5:52pm On Jun 04, 2016
molydonhenry:
@op Does every android device support OTG?

Not every android phone. Most newly released android phones should.
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by charlsecy(m): 5:52pm On Jun 04, 2016
@Kingy10 You quoted all the long post just to ask if printers were compatible with OTG?

2 Likes

Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by phibetakappa: 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2016
Very educative. Well done.
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by Tonydeeb(m): 5:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
Nice
Re: USB OTG Cable - 7 Important Things You Can Use It For On Android by jaykaylegend(m): 6:01pm On Jun 04, 2016
charlsecy:
@Kingy10
You quoted all the long post just to ask if printers were compatible with OTG?
very absurd person....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Phone Tip of the Day: how to Block Your Caller ID / Mobile Hotspot Activation Problem / How To Do An Airtel Welcomeback Through SMS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.