Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Good Recipe For Building Success. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Good Recipe For Building Success. (14785 Views)

A Plot For Building & Acres For Farming Available At Wasimi, Abeokuta Express Wa / REQUEST for building designs HERE or check out some excellent ones / Lagos Declares Zero Tolerance For Building Collapse Within The State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by ojabel(m): 9:43am On Jun 04, 2016
At last! Lagos Government Begins the construction of 4th mainland Bridge. Goodnews to all residents of Ikorodu Division!

STOP PAYING RENT in Lagos!
Start Building your own House with EASE.

Buy Cheap & Affordable Plots of Land Suitable for Residential, School, Farm, Factory, Hotel, Resort, Co-operative, Church, Camp etc at any of our sites listed below and start building IMMEDIATELY:

Nitel Estate, Ikd from #6m
Ewu-Elepe, Ikd from #3m
Simawa Ewu-losi, back of Redemption camp. From #300k
Mowo-Nla, Ikd from #400k
Agbowa, Ikd from #400k
Ofada, along Papalanto Sagamu Exp rd from #300k
Agunloye- Lugbusi, Ikd from #450k
Igbalu, Ikd from #350k
Emuren Road, Ikd from #300k
Ewu-Oloye Maya, Ikd from 280k
Oke-eletu Estate, Ikd from #2.6m
Odelemo: close to Agowa from #250k
Imota, Ikd from #250k

Benefits:
* Free From Land Speculators (Omo-oniles)
* Land Free From Government Acquisition.
* Deed of Assignment with survey Available at a Fee
* Good Layout/Earth Road
* Free Inspection: Monday through Saturday.
* Few plots Available

Price from #250,000 - #6M depending on the LOCATION!

*No matter your budget there's something for you!

For enquiry & clarifications Feel Free to Contact us on: 08023599385, 09092578141.

Check us out at www.ruthlandestate.com our testimonial speaks volume!

An Opportunity To Be A Landlord without stress!
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by mrsuperswag(m): 9:44am On Jun 04, 2016
I am a quantity surveyor...I agree to this...the way to go about building is to build small and allow for expansion...not building big and trying to reduce cost by comprising quality absurdly

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 04, 2016
Not a fan of too much ceremony. Na my hand i take draw the plan for paper, and started it. Got a professional architect regularise later.

Too much ceremony can scare you.

If you have money, just start. Of course, take basic precautions. I don't joke with foundation. My foundation is so high.

3 Likes

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 10:09am On Jun 04, 2016
13. Make your foundation so high!

Respect to Sir Jarus (a successful DIY homeowner) for registering your presence on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/784501/jarus-countryhome-journal

https://www.nairaland.com/2132347/construction-journal-2

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 10:25am On Jun 04, 2016
14. Keep It Simple!!

People will always value a simple house in a good location than a superb finished house in midst of a slum.

Leave the frills and thrills for the Kardashians. You cannot impress everybody.

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by Chukazu: 10:34am On Jun 04, 2016
seunlayi:
Nice, better than snake thread

please, anybody has an idea for cost of building a soak-away in the East in particular?
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 10:50am On Jun 04, 2016
Chukazu:

please, anybody has an idea for cost of building a soak-away in the East in particular?

Send a PM to the user ID below. He's an experienced builder from the region.

cc: Spyder880

Or visit this thread for comprehensive discussion on septic tank and cost details.
https://www.nairaland.com/1904839/cost-soakaway-septic-tank

Cheers!
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 11:05am On Jun 04, 2016
Commercial Break | Making of the Chateau by NextHome (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXHpaFomWpo
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 11:24am On Jun 04, 2016
15. Doing Floors in Waterlogged Terrains | Do's and Don'ts.

- Don’t use too many tiles. The trouble with tiles is that they aren’t very good at holding out water. In a windy rain, the water sweeps through the tiles into the house.

- If you must use tiles in a waterlogged property or area with high water table, always lay down waterproof felt before placing the tiles. It's an effective water barrier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by olumide4christ: 11:56am On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:
4. Budget well! Be mindful of what should be quality upfront and areas where you can make do with cheaper alternatives. Be practical by allowing for changes and increased costs, which is inevitable in Nigeria context. Most people miss this part and stick to a budget that's not only realistic but very harmful to the project.

Be clear about your budget with your design professional (check and pick tiles, Windows, doors and everything you need based on room configuration, know their prices and work with the figures). You may need to do the same for all materials and fixtures that will make up the new house. More importantly, consider using a Professional quantity surveyor to help you determine costs.
If you're working with a builder, Avoid Guess-timates, get more than one quote. Be sure to identify exactly what the job will entail.

Remember, never walk alone.

[b]Good write up, Brabus!

Quality of materials is so critical to determining costs and eventually, budget of a project. A lot of clients embark on projects with a particular range of quality in mind, but not mindful that the budget they have cannot meet up with such quality; hence, disagreements and grievances arise between the client and the contractor later on on the project. It is SO SO IMPORTANT for things to be spelt out between both parties at the beginning in order to avoid friction during the project.

Using construction cost professionals (Quantity Surveyors) on projects is so critical, but many a client deem it not necessary or an unwanted additional cost to their budget; however, what they are not aware of is that Quantity Surveyors would help them watch their back in the area of costs and specifications of materials during the project. I was really impressed that you as a builder, advised clients to make use of a professional Quantity Surveyor, because for all the time I have been on this forum, I don't think I have seen builders refer their clients to Quantity Surveyors or even make a mention of them; you are the 1st builder to do so. They seem to make Nairalanders believe they don't exist or aren't important. It baffles me when a client would be abroad or in Nigeria, send money to a contractor to build for him and believe that the right specifications would be used for his project all the way without having a professional help him/her benchmark the quality of materials being supplied or used on the project. Just like you have done, I have many contractors as clients who have refered me to some clients to prepare BOQs for them for projects in which they are planning to be contractors/builders. They (contractors) don't just assume the cost of the proposed project; they seek for a QS to determine the actual costs so there are no disagreements between them and the client in the future. These have been done for even small residential projects, whereas, some people on this forum believe that 'QS are a total waste on projects discussed in this forum", well, that's just their opinion and CERTAINLY NOT a FACT!

LONG & SHORT, 'NEVER WALK ALONE' like you said!

Once again, this is a nice thread![/b]

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by olumide4christ: 12:10pm On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:
15. Doing Floors in Waterlogged Terrains | Do's and Don'ts.

- Don’t use too many tiles. The trouble with tiles is that they aren’t very good at holding out water. In a windy rain, the water sweeps through the tiles into the house.

- If you must use tiles in a waterlogged property or area with high water table, always lay down waterproof felt before placing the tiles. It's an effective water barrier.

Also to add to this, a recent trend I have seen on projects is to apply felt to the floors and walls(to a certain height) of all wet areas (bathrooms/toilets) on upper floors before tiling in order to prevent water seepage through the tiles to the the rooms on the lower floors which could damage suspended ceilings, wall paper, screeding and the like in those areas.

I have also been on at least 2 projects where the architect specified that after felting of the roof tank slab and adjoining parapet walls, tiles should be laid over the felt membrane for additional protection to prevent quick wearing away of the felt membrane.

2 Likes

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 12:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
16. Get a Good House Plan! An Incomplete Plan and Specifications is the beginning of problems

Incomplete or ambiguous plans and specifications, either due to incompetence on the part of the architect or because not enough time and money was spent on them or because it was lifted off the internet can lead to problems.

- Less accurate builders quote: the quotation given on such plans will be inaccurate.

- Variations: Builders and designers will rely on variations to correct conflicts and inaccuracies in the plans and specifications.
This cost time and money which is either borne by you or the builder. And most especially causes project delays, conflicts and in worse case leads to compromise of standards.

Speak to an Architect today!

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by Authentik1: 12:43pm On Jun 04, 2016
I find this very enlightening and helpful. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 12:52pm On Jun 04, 2016
Authentik1:
I find this very enlightening and helpful. Thank you

Remember to share with friends and families who are interested in building their own house.
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 1:07pm On Jun 04, 2016
Are you building or planning to build? Are you finding it difficult to relate with your building design or finding it hard to work with your architect? Follow us here as we discuss the various architectural design issues and their causes.

https://www.nairaland.com/3145483/architectural-designs-problems-may-occur

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 1:13pm On Jun 04, 2016
11 Things to Keep in Mind When Building Your Own House

____
If you are sticking to a tight budget try not to over indulge in luxury items at the cost of more important features of your house. Don't put a swimming in house that barely have space for 2 cars.

____
The bigger it is, the more expensive it becomes. Each square foot costs money and if it just going to be superfluous you should think twice about having it BIG. Big Houses does not necessary translate to Big Taste.

____
Go for cheaper options of certain items, for example, instead of actual granite top you could opt for a tile lookalike. Whilst the finish isn’t quite as deluxe, it still does the job and will save you a couple of naira.

____
Ask Questions? This sounds simple, but if something does not seem right at the time, it most likely isn’t – don’t be afraid to ask any questions about it, it’s better to be safe than sorry. You could even ask an outside and impartial source. Speak out!

____
Remember your priorities - Know where to save and where not to bat an eye. If your properties foundations are dodgy, then the whole building is doomed.

____
Always remember that things will most likely go wrong during the construction and this may mean that schedules have to adapt. Be the man, be in charge!

____
Imperfections are inevitable but they can more often than not be fixed; just ask.

____
Record everything. Write down everything you agree on, if it’s just spoken words it can be interpreted differently by both you and the builder. If you write down everything and keep a detailed record of all agreements you can minimise disputes.

____
Keep everything; receipts, sales slips, model numbers, chat messages, phone call records. This might sound too much, but it will be required if anything were to go wrong or disputes were to arise.

____
Make sure you have a detailed plan of everything you require from the house build, it will allow for a much smoother construction period and a far better result.

____
Is your budget in tandem with your spending? There's always a price for every house. Don't overspend!

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by Chukazu: 2:32pm On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:

Send a PM to the user ID below. He's an experienced builder from the region.

cc: Spyder880

Or visit this thread for comprehensive discussion on septic tank and cost details.
https://www.nairaland.com/1904839/cost-soakaway-septic-tank

Cheers!

thanks
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 2:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
Home Building in Nigeria | Begin with an end in mind.

If you don’t know what you’re planning to build, how do you know that you will achieve the desired end result? Imagine a ship sailing out to sea without a destination. Where would it go?

http://nexthomedesigns.com/2016/03/17/home-building-begin-with-an-end-in-mind/

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 2:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
Lagos building permit requirements and price depends on the scope of your project and the rate of each local government area where you want to build. In Nigeria, it can be cheaper if you know how to get the building permit yourself in stead of letting your contractor do that (the last is more likely to be asked for some grease money). Welcome to the real world! See how easy it is to get your title documents in Lagos with links to various forms and documents required.

Read more at: http://nexthomedesigns.com

Suggested reads How to process construction permit in Lagos | Case study of a warehouse

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 2:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
Buying a Land or Building in Lagos: Know the Setback Requirements.

Planning is a system that orders the use and development of land for the benefit of our communities. The overall aim of planning is to ensure a balance between enabling development while at the same time conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities. The idea is to create better and balanced environment for people to live, work, play, pray, recreate and move around with utmost ease.

https://nexthomedesigns.com/2016/05/26/building-in-lagos-know-the-setback-requirements/

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 3:02pm On Jun 04, 2016
Building a Septic Tank in a Waterlogged Site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjwqRk8DkV0
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by Kaydem(m): 3:25pm On Jun 04, 2016
Very informative. Well done boss

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by professore(m): 3:37pm On Jun 04, 2016
you just want to read from the beginning to the end.

1 Like

Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 4:55am On Aug 07, 2019
n3xt:
These simple tips and many others that will be shared here by successful homeowners are meant to help your building project run well and ensure you know how to build a quality house.

1. Plan well, thinking about how the build will work for you now and in the future (and for future owners).

But How? Read on..

It's been a long time since I made my last post on this forum.

Thanks to all the visitors who are still visiting my posts even though I have not updated this and many other threads for a long time.

I hope you haven't forgotten about me. I am Bosun Davies Shoyoye

My authentic Nairaland IDs are Brabus, NextHome, N3xt

Its time to catch up...
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 5:05am On Aug 07, 2019
n3xt:
These simple tips and many others that will be shared here by successful homeowners are meant to help your building project run well and ensure you know how to build a quality house.

1. Plan well, thinking about how the build will work for you now and in the future (and for future owners).

But How? Read on..

Your project is as good as its plan.

Your plan sets out the processes that everyone is expected to follow so it avoids a lot of headaches later.

To create a good plan:

You need to pick and spend time with your team:

- clarifying what you need to achieve
- working out the processes you need to get there
- developing an action plan for how to achieve this.
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2020
Re: Good Recipe For Building Success. by n3xt(m): 5:05am On Oct 03, 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

FULLY DETACHED LUXURY 4 BEDROOM AT THE AMBIANCE RESIDENCES ABRAM ADESANYA AJAH! / The Making Of The "Akure 63 Units Shopping Plaza" / QUEEN'S HOMES BUNGALOWS MOWE/OFADA,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.