Stats: 3,149,883 members, 7,806,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) (6226 Views)

Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! / 150 Nigerians Killed In Cross River Communal Clash / BREAKING NEWS!!! Abia Guber: Alex Otti Steps In; The Battle Rages (2) (3) (4)

The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 8:44pm On Jun 04, 2016
****Modified

Sorry peeps, I had to take down the original
post because it involved real people and real
places, and I just realized that I don't have all
the facts about the events that took place. Third,
it generated some controversies which I did not
intend and therefore do not wish to sustain.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Greatfuture: 9:37pm On Jun 04, 2016
If they cannot agree on ordinary name ,how do they hope to leave in biafra

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Noneroone(m): 9:42pm On Jun 04, 2016
glossy6:
Prologue

Nkerehi, a neighbouring The protracted Nkerehi/ village had been a peaceful community until Dr Maduka, a US based medical practictioner brought a lot of developments in the village and went further to change the village's name from Nkerehi to Umuchukwu. Some supported the name change while others opposed the name change leading to incessant clashes with both sides recording deaths. Nkerehi community was changed
to Umuchukwu through a Referendum conducted on
January 7, 2008 by the Anambra state government. Subsequently, the official Gazette on the name change was released by government in April 2008. But since then, the community had known no peace as a section
of the area vehemently opposed the change and insisted that the old name be retained. The trouble
started in 2007 when some of the people in the community at a crucial town meeting supported the name change from Nkerehi which was said to have been named after a totem, elephant to Umuchukwu, meaning "Children of God ". Others however opposed the name change. There has been bloodshed and peace has eluded the people. Brothers take up arms against brothers.

My husband's two sisters are married in this village but one belongs to Umuchukwu while the other belongs to Nkerehi and as such both cannot attend each other's function neither can they visit one another. What prompted this write up is that I called my husband's niece to inquire if she will attend her cousin's marriage and her response was shocking to me. She said her cousin is from Nkerehi and she as an Umuchukwu daughter will not attend. Mind you they are first cousins from the same Nkerehi village before the change of name.

Should such discord be found amidst brothers? Dr Maduka has done a lot for his community but the strife is so much that you can't but feel it.
i dont want to talk much but i see no reason changing the name of a town in the first place.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by wordcat(m): 10:43pm On Jun 04, 2016
But why changing the name of the town in the first place?

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by davidif: 7:54pm On Dec 31, 2016
Greatfuture:

My brother what came to mind when I read this topic is the genocide in South Sudan right now. This country seceded from the North to form there own country and we thought that will end the genocide only for them to now turn on one another after forming there own country. I guess the only thing both tribes had in common was there hatred of the North (sound familiar?). Now that they have seperated from the North, they have now turned on each other.

This should be a lesson to Africans that we should learn to live side by side and work out our differences amicably without letting emotions (especially anger and bitterness) to cloud our logic.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by davidif: 7:59pm On Dec 31, 2016
glossy6:
Prologue

Nkerehi, a neighbouring The protracted Nkerehi/ village had been a peaceful community until Dr Maduka, a US based medical practictioner brought a lot of developments in the village and went further to change the village's name from Nkerehi to Umuchukwu. Some supported the name change while others opposed the name change leading to incessant clashes with both sides recording deaths. Nkerehi community was changed
January 7, 2008 by the Anambra state government. Subsequently, the official Gazette on the name change was released by government in April 2008. But since then, the community had known no peace as a section
of the area vehemently opposed the change and insisted that the old name be retained. The trouble
started in 2007 when some of the people in the community at a crucial town meeting supported the name change from Nkerehi which was said to have been named after a totem, elephant to Umuchukwu, meaning "Children of God ". Others however opposed the name change. There has been bloodshed and peace has eluded the people. Brothers take up arms against brothers.

My husband's two sisters are married in this village but one belongs to Umuchukwu while the other belongs to Nkerehi and as such both cannot attend each other's function neither can they visit one another. What prompted this write up is that I called my husband's niece to inquire if she will attend her cousin's marriage and her response was shocking to me. She said her cousin is from Nkerehi and she as an Umuchukwu daughter will not attend. Mind you they are first cousins from the same Nkerehi village before the change of name.

Should such discord be found amidst brothers? Dr Maduka has done a lot for his community but the strife is so much that you can't but feel it.

Was the name change approved by the city council first? And did the people get to vote on the name change after the city council approval?
You see, this is how democracy should work at the local level.
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by meezynetwork(m): 8:19pm On Dec 31, 2016
Fighting over a mere name. Who name epp?

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 8:26pm On Dec 31, 2016
davidif:

Was the name change approved by the city council first? And did the people get to vote on the name change after the city council approval?
You see, this is how democracy should work at the local level.

There was no vote on the name change but the key player who recently commissioned a 16 storey hospital in this village among other structures single handedly went for the name change and met some resistance. it was said that the new name was not gazetted by Peter Obi but I don't know how true this is
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by davidif: 8:28pm On Dec 31, 2016
glossy6:

There was no vote on the name change but the key player who recently commissioned a 16 storey hospital in this village among other structures single handedly went for the name change and met some resistance. it was said that the new name was not gazetted by Peter Obi but I don't know how true this is

What exactly does a gazette mean?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by pchukwudi: 9:29pm On Dec 31, 2016
On what basis are you postig this nonsense here?

What do you take Nairaland for? A village square?

How old are you by the way?

Was your husband aware that you were going to post this crap here?

Have you ever taken any time to study how Nairaland works before bringing your family matter here for discusion (with specific mentions)?

Do you realize that this is an archive of some sort with a GLOBAL audience?

Are you even aware that this is internet?

What exactly were you thinking when you created this thread?

Don't you have a family or friends to gossip your issues or discuss your concerns with?

Do you realize how embarrassing this thread is as per the context of the ongoings on this platform?

Please I beg you to delete this post right now before it gets archived.

So so onye nzuzu na asa akwa imeya na etiti ahia.
glossy6:
Prologue

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Dedetwo(m): 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2016
glossy6:
Prologue

This is the kind of irresponsible behavior by those Africans who seemed to have been helped by benevolent spirits. Most of the times, they forget to be humbled. As far as I am concerned, Dr Maduka can build heaven in this village and it will amount to nothing since such heaven has divided sisters and brothers. I had better remained happily together as sister and brother than in the midst of earthly development without peace.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by rafindo(m): 9:44pm On Dec 31, 2016
Op I thank u for opening this thread and hope we Africans have to learn how genuine democracy is .I don't share this idea of people been holier than Jerusalem itself.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by EazyMoh(m): 10:17pm On Dec 31, 2016
Why not call the village whatever you like? Must you fight each other?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Dedetwo(m): 10:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
Greatfuture:

This silly name change cannot be done as it is written on the post in Biafra. Please do not jump into meaningless analogy.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Sealeddeal(m): 10:50pm On Dec 31, 2016
pchukwudi:

Have you ever taken any time to study how Nairaland works before bringing your family matter here for discusion (with specific mentions)?

Don't you have a family or friends to gossip your issues or discuss your concerns with?

Do you realize how embarrassing this thread is as per the context of the ongoings on this platform?

So what happened in her village should not have a global attention?

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by greenermodels: 1:54am On Jan 01, 2017
Greatfuture:
my friend try and be reasonable, the recent nupe vs Yoruba killings, offa vs others killings and the Lagos constant inter community killings have not been interpreted to mean something else, show some wisdom, the op should delete this topic, this is not the right place to discuss it,you can see the way it has quickly degenerated into an anti biafra thread.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Presidiotbuhari: 2:15am On Jan 01, 2017
Noted
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by AsiwajuNdigbo: 4:00am On Jan 01, 2017

Umuigbo, we have problem! Biiiiigg problem! We are quick to draw confrontation lines, split into opposing camps and start giving ultimatums and threats. Issues that takes few hours to sit together and resolve we attach our egos and draw it out to a long term war, we begin to label people enemies.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by jollymizzle(m): 7:19am On Jan 01, 2017
pchukwudi:

haha what is this? Take it easy o before you pull a vital muscle, or get an aneurysm. So because you want the whole world to know all is well with your people , someone else shouldn't point out a problem directly affecting him or her. The OP is obviously tired of the clashed and has cried out so something can be done about it and you are here shutting her up . you are the one who should delete your post . someone wants a positive change in her community and you got angry. Wth were you thinking when you wrote that.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Deathslater: 7:46am On Jan 01, 2017
AsiwajuNdigbo:

Umuigbo, we have problem! Biiiiigg problem! We are quick to draw confrontation lines, split into opposing camps and start giving ultimatums and threats. Issues that takes few hours to sit together and resolve we attach our egos and draw it out to a long term war, we begin to label people enemies.
But you are not igbo nah, why are you crying more than the bereaved?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by ImperialYoruba: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2017
Umuchuku...is this not the same village someone opened thread and labelled it the Dubai of Iboland?

So, una Dubai don split? Na wah o

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 5:10pm On Jan 01, 2017
Presidiotbuhari:

^^^
Who's this thing that is bringing a family matter to this useless forum for arbiteration? A woman, an ofeke delving into matter that is beyound ur brain capacity. It seems u don't value ur life any longer, perhaps u think u are anonimous and invicible?
My advice to u don't use ur hand to dig ur grave, mind ur business to avoid had I know.

Cc chino/asha90

You can go ahead and dig your grave and that of your entire family members for all I care. What sort of threat is that? May Amadioha silence you forever! Nonsense

Fyi, it is not a secret. Just google Umuchukwu, Nkerehi and you will read everything online.

I know you are obviously enjoying the enmity between you and your brothers there. May God help all of you.

But mind you, it is not a secret, so stop fuming and clear the mess in your village.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 5:29pm On Jan 01, 2017
pchukwudi:

Google it, it has been in the net since 2008 or thereabouts.
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 5:32pm On Jan 01, 2017
pchukwudi:

It has been in the net since 2008 or thereabouts but I will take it down if it will make you happy. After all, it is not my village

Now, how do I take it down?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by pchukwudi: 6:07pm On Jan 01, 2017
1. Go back to that first post.

2. Click on the smal link (at the bottom of the post) that says "modify".

3. Wipe out/delete/remove the original post.

4. Replace the original post with the following message:

"Sorry peeps, I had to take down the original post because first, it was not my story (I copied it). Second, it involved real people and real places, and I just realized that I don't have all the facts about the events that took place. Third, it generated some controversies which I did not intend and therefore do not wish to sustain. Thanks"

5. That would be all. (Although doing the above is not going to take down this thread, but it would, at least, pass the right message).

glossy6:

It has been in the net since 2008 or thereabouts but I will take it down if it will make you happy. After all, it is not my village

Now, how do I take it down?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by glossy6(f): 7:07pm On Jan 01, 2017
pchukwudi:
1. Go back to that first post.

2. Click on the smal link (at the bottom of the post) that says "modify".

3. Wipe out/delete/remove the original post.

4. Replace the original post with the following message:

"Sorry peeps, I had to take down the original post because first, it was not my story (I copied it). Second, it involved real people and real places, and I just realized that I don't have all the facts about the events that took place. Third, it generated some controversies which I did not intend and therefore do not wish to sustain. Thanks"

5. That would be all. (Although doing the above is not going to take down this thread, but it would, at least, pass the right message).

Done. I hope you are now happy. As for the names you called me, at least my response has answered some of the questions you asked ridiculously.
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by pchukwudi: 7:37pm On Jan 01, 2017
I cannot remeber calling you any names? Okay granted, I sounded so pissed (sorry about that). But the main thing is that I felt it was your true story. And having been around here for a while, I could not fathom how a grown nwa ada could bring up such personal stories to NL let alone bringing it to this tribalistic and hateful section.

Anyway sorry about the beef, it was not intended to sound ridiculous. grin

glossy6:

Done. I hope you are now happy. As for the names you called me, at least my response has answered some of the questions you asked ridiculously.
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by Presidiotbuhari: 8:05pm On Jan 01, 2017
glossy6:

You can go ahead and dig your grave and that of your entire family members for all I care. What sort of threat is that? May Amadioha silence you forever! Nonsense

Fyi, it is not a secret. Just google Umuchukwu, Nkerehi and you will read everything online.

I know you are obviously enjoying the enmity between you and your brothers there. May God help all of you.

But mind you, it is not a secret, so stop fuming and clear the mess in your village.
^^^
Well, engaging an ignorant fellow who doesn't know how to modify or delete a thread in this board is a waste of time and space. Enjoy ur self induced ignorance and dance well to your SURUGEDE.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by EdCure: 9:03pm On Jan 01, 2017
Sealeddeal:
So what happened in her village should not have a global attention?
I marvel at the level of intolerance from these village boys who come to nairaland to lay claim to intellectual prowess.

You can imagine how shallow that pchukwudi is. Nigeria as a space is oversupplied with pseudo-intellectuals and ethnic jingoists bereft of cosmopolitanism.

To them, every issue must be judged from an ethno-religious prism, even when it pertains to life and death.
Any wonder why the concept and practice of investigative journalism has faced the same fate of the dinosaurs?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by pchukwudi: 9:13pm On Jan 01, 2017
EdCure:

I marvel at the level by intolerance of these village boys who come to nairaland to lay claim to intellectual prowess.

You can imagine how shallow that pchukwudi is. Nigeria as a space is oversupplied with pseudo-intellectuals and ethnic jingoists bereft of cosmopolitanism.

To them, every issue must be judged from an ethno-religious prism, even when it pertains to life and death.
Any wonder why the concept and practice of investigative journalism has faced the same fate of the dinosaurs?
Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by EdCure: 9:19pm On Jan 01, 2017
pchukwudi:
h
Very predictable.

Bonehead.

Re: The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) by pchukwudi: 9:27pm On Jan 01, 2017
EdCure:

Very predictable.

Bonehead.

700,000 People Displaced By Bandits In Zamfara – Gov’t / Rwanda Minister Of Youth And Sport Scandal Photos. Why He Was Sacked. / Jang: Only Haters Of Nigeria, Economic Recovery Oppose Subsidy Removal

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83