Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali (1767 Views)

The Last Portraits Of Muhammad Ali By Zenon Texeira / Photo Of Muhammad Ali With His Mother! RIP / Muhammad Ali's Visit To Lagos In 1964 (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 12:09am On Jun 05, 2016

Vietnam
- “Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years.”

- “I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my rights here at home.”

Malcolm X
- "Turning my back on Malcolm X was one of the mistakes I regret most in my life. I wish I'd been able to tell Malcolm I was sorry."

On Achieving Greatness
- “If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”

On Aging
- “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”

On Fortitude
- “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”

On Preparation
- “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”

On Being Humble
- “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”

On His Achievements
- “I’ve wrestled with alligators; I’ve tussled with a whale; I done handcuffed lightning; and throw thunder in jail.”

On Victory
- “The will must be stronger than the skill.”

On Payback
- “You kill my dog, you better hide your cat."

On Dreams
- "If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.”

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 12:14am On Jun 05, 2016
1. "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't.

2. "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

3. "I'm young; I'm handsome; I'm fast. I can't possibly be beat."

4. "Don’t count the days; make the days count."

5. “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."

6. “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.”

7. “Braggin' is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”

8. "I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."

9. "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."

10. "I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."

11. "I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."

12. “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

13. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”

14. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”

15. "He’s (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!"

16. "I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."

17. “I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”

18. "Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."

19. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.”

20. "I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cuz there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them."

21. "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

22. “I’m not the greatest, I’m the double greatest.”

23. “Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right.

R.I.P to the greatest one!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 12:24am On Jun 05, 2016
On His Legacy

"I would like to be remembered as a man who won the heavyweight title three times, who was humorous and who treated everyone right. As a man who never looked down on those who looked up to him ... who stood up for his beliefs ... who tried to unite all humankind through faith and love. And if all that’s too much, then I guess I’d settle for being remembered only as a great boxer who became a leader and a champion of his people. And I wouldn’t even mind if folks forgot how pretty I was.”

3 Likes

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by ikbnice(m): 12:33am On Jun 05, 2016
a true legend

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by TruthHurts1(m): 12:46am On Jun 05, 2016
The only Muhammad I ever respected. RIP.
Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by liveLongNprospa(m): 12:51am On Jun 05, 2016
Now this is a legend..
Quotes that will shape the lives of more humans in the future smiley
RIP great 1 cool

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by MossadAgent: 1:00am On Jun 05, 2016
Sir shyte mess of the subway cleaning crew...

How is thou scrawny skinny ass?

You know who this is cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 5:56am On Jun 05, 2016
Rest In Peace Muhammad Ali

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:46am On Jun 05, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:47am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:48am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:49am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:50am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:51am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:52am On Jun 05, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by Shym3xx: 8:53am On Jun 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Greatest Quotes By Muhammad Ali by FBS: 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Simply a True Legend of All Time. Great sportsman.

(1) (Reply)

Bet9ja Shop For Sale / Barcelona Is Building A Scaring Team / Arsenal Fan Commits Suicide(Video of the Hanging)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.