Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers (32158 Views)

What Causes Sneezing / Help A Slowly Dying Fellow-cold, cattarh and sneezing / Why Do We Say 'bless You' Or 'gesundheit' When People Sneeze? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by teniyi(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2016
iamauxin:
Jewish...... because they feel it's a rendezvous to give out blessings

English........to appear well-mannered and cultured

Russians.......to to make it appear that they won't launch missiles on you when you mess up.

Nigerians.....Yorubas... For lack of something to say
Hausas....just for stereotyping purposes.
Igbos.....to sell their goods

Here I just want to talk for the Hausa and the Muslims everywhere in the world. What Muslims say is "alhamdulilah " meaning Praise be to Allah. So muslim don't say bless you but alhamdulilah and it is the person that sneeze that will say that while those around will respond by praying for him or her.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by LaJose78(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
During the 6th Century, it was customary to
congratulate people who sneezed because it was
thought that they were expelling evil from their
bodies. During the great plague of Europe, the
Pope passed a law to say “God bless you” to one
who sneezed.

source: [url] https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1584489588233399&id=877331585615873&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1584489588233399%3Atl_objid.1584489588233399%3Athid.877331585615873%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1467356399%3A-8517350865216989363&__tn__=%2As[/url]
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by abatisegun: 4:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
kimond101:
I don't know about saying "Bless you " but in Islam we are encouraged to say "Alhamdullilah "

The narrations of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

Some of the reasons for saying “Alhamdulillah” are as follows:

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best
. Jazakum Allahu khearan. Wabaraka Allahu fikum
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Exxit(m): 4:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
aaronson:
This reason is, Ignorance!

Another reason is, The moment you sneezed your heart stops for a split second and continue working again, so the christians folks consider it miracle for continuation of their heat beat meanwhile its mere biological make up.
your heart font stop when you sneeze. Do your research bro.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Sirlanister(m): 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2016
kimond101:
I don't know about saying "Bless you " but in Islam we are encouraged to say "Alhamdullilah "

The narrations of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

Some of the reasons for saying “Alhamdulillah” are as follows:

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best

Thank you for the lecture!
Bless you!!
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by giddykay: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2016
iamauxin:
Jewish...... because they feel it's a rendezvous to give out blessings

English........to appear well-mannered and cultured

Russians.......to to make it appear that they won't launch missiles on you when you mess up.

Nigerians.....Yorubas... For lack of something to say
Hausas....just for stereotyping purposes.
Igbos.....to sell their goods
receive sense in jesus name
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by jhoesee(m): 12:15pm On Jun 06, 2016
I came here hoping 2 find an ansa buh d only tin u did was 2 bring back dah question...mtshew...hw did u make front page sef
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by obontami: 9:21am On Aug 04, 2016
Martinmania:
Actually the sound yhu make when you sneeze sounds like "bless you"... Buh Nigerians would put sentiments on anything.. If my mum sneezes and I don't say it I'm in soup

cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 5:56pm On Feb 22, 2018
desreek9
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 23, 2018
ballerin:
desreek9
ballerin
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 10:31pm On Feb 23, 2018
desreek9:

Balerin

What's been keeping you away,
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 23, 2018
ballerin:
what has been keeping you away?

lol, been busy
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 10:49pm On Feb 23, 2018
desreek9:

lol, been busy
ok. Hope you're good?
Fam, kids?

Wanna blow you a kiss..
Got my mail?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 11:10pm On Feb 23, 2018
ballerin:
ok. Hope you're good? Fam, kids?
Wanna blow you a kiss.. Got my mail?

I'm good We're fine Do that Don't reply mails sorry
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 11:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
desreek9:

I'm good
We're fine
Do that
Don't reply mails sorry
I think you're becoming a part of me.
There should be a means of talking to you offline, a bit flexibility would suffice.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 24, 2018
ballerin:
I think you're becoming a part of me.
There should be a means of talking to you offline, a bit flexibility would suffice.

Hey
Slept off last night sorry
Display your pix
I want to know who i'm talking to
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 7:57pm On Feb 24, 2018
desreek9:

Hey Slept off last night sorry Display your pix I want to know who i'm talking to
Prettie, how do you do?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 24, 2018
ballerin:
Prettie, how do you do?

Am good, how r u?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 9:26pm On Feb 24, 2018
desreek9:

I am good, how r u?
Good, tnxs.

check my Dp.

Ur Dp?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 24, 2018
ballerin:
Good, tnxs.
check my Dp.
Ur Dp?

Me likey, you're cute Removed mine cos i tot u wont put yours
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 10:10pm On Feb 24, 2018
desreek9:

Me likey, you're cute Removed mine cos i tot u wont put yours
Tnxs.
You can put yours back if you want. I only did because of you, you refused to send a PM when i asked you, lol
Are you a little busy?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 24, 2018
ballerin:
Tnxs.
You can put yours back if you want. I only did because of you, you refused to send a PM when i asked you, lol
Are you a little busy?

okay kind of like us talking here cos i dnt know how it'll be like offline yeah preparing for church tomorrow
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 10:36pm On Feb 24, 2018
desreek9:

okay
kind of like us talking here cos i dnt know how it'll be like offline
yeah preparing for church tomorrow
It Will be fine. Be positve for once.
Church prep.. Ok. You can take a rest if you want
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 24, 2018
ballerin:
it Will be fine. Be positve for once. Church prep.. Ok. You can take a rest if you want

ok we'll talk tomorrow
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 11:35pm On Feb 24, 2018
desreek9:

ok
we'll talk tomorrow
ok, Goodnite...
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 8:37pm On Feb 27, 2018
desreek9:

ok
we'll talk tomorrow
I'm pretty much in a light-hearted mood this evening. I would hope you're half as much tho..

Tell me, how much longer do you need before you're convinced about me?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 27, 2018
ballerin:
I'm pretty much in a light-hearted mood this evening. I would hope you're half as much tho..

Tell me, how much longer do you need before you're convinced about me?

You are making it sound like i'm single and playing hard to get, i love talking to you here, why dont you want it to continue like that?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2018
desreek9:

You are making it sound like i'm single and playing hard to get, i love talking to you here, why dont you want it to continue like that?
It's not really about your status much as I acknowledge. So,don't make it sound like it is,
I gave you my word,didn't i ?
The affection for you couldn't be odd
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
ballerin:
It's not really about your status much as I acknowledge. So,don't make it sound like it is,
I gave you my word,didn't i ?
The affection for you couldn't be odd

I understand that but this back and forth we are doing wouldn't change my mind
So it's either we continue or end it right here, your choice.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by ballerin(m): 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
desreek9:

I understand that but this back and forth we are doing wouldn't change my mind
So it's either we continue or end it right here, your choice.
Lol, otibinu?
Your maturity is a notch higher than i had thought & i'm loving it.
However, I think there is seemingly a better way to handle this but it all depends on you.
I cherish you, trust me. There is a better way, let's fix this.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
ballerin:
Lol, otibinu?
Your maturity is a notch higher than i had thought & i'm loving it.
However, I think there is seemingly a better way to handle this but it all depends on you.
I cherish you, trust me. There is a better way, let's fix this.

Let me tell you what will happen, if we extend this outside here, it becomes personal and more friendly, then it goes higher, then higher, then wayyyyy more higher cos i know how i feel right now
Trust me ave been in this situation before especially when i had issues with hubby so i like to play it safe
Ballerin plssss dont spoil it, let it continue here for now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Plastic Surgeon Made His Wife Perfect Using His Skills / Joseph Ashefel, Lawyer Collapses And Dies At High Court In Abuja. Photo / Covid-19: Enugu State Confirms Two Cases. Begins Contact Tracing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.