Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (105166 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:19pm On Jun 06, 2016
ekpotek:
Got one installed in December 2015. Cost me N250K including installtion. Consist of
130watt mono x6 panels N120,000
35Amp solar charger controller N15000
200Amh deep cycle batteriea x2 N100000
3KVa modified sine wave 12v inverter. Systems still workiing and powers my big fridge. Get up to six hours of power supply after sunset. Saves me about 10 litres of petrol everyday for my generator.

Please which brand of battery are u using for ur inverter
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2016
inception101:
Hi, nice thread. I had mine recently installed. 2.4kva with 2 btl sollar batteries and 1_200wats solar panel but the truth is i'v never enjoyed it since day one as I stay in d east and I paid for for transportation and installation all d way from ibadan and yet the thing has been a real pain and regrets ever since. Imagine leaving d house since morning and coming bak and d so called solar doesn't last 30 minutes with ma laptop, ceiling fan, ps4 and one or two bulbs on(with out load, it reads 12.7 and when fully charged with gen it reads 13.1 but as soon as u power anything it goes down to 12.5 and below drastically). It's so disheartening. Pls what's d way forward

Thought it was said that batteries shouldn't be kept on bare ground? And sorry I mistook your 200w for 1,200w...
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:41pm On Jun 06, 2016
murmee:
I hope the rating is not merely for advertisement sake! In Nigeria, anything is possible!

Another thing to consider is if the inverter is a pure sine wave inverter with features like overload disconnection, circuit breaker protection, etc. I once spoke with a local manufacturer of inverter and all he could offer was a square wave (not even modified sine wave) inverter and for some exorbitant amount. I had to go for the Indian inverter which appears to be far batter and far cheaper..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:44pm On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

The inverter I bought was for 46k in January. Surprisingly, it is 48k now.. While I bought my first 200Ah battery on 1st Jan for 48k, bought the second one for 55k and switched my 850va inverter for the 1,600va inverter (balanced up payment afterwards). Now these same batteries goes for 80.something thousand naira. It's really shooting up, along with solar panels.

Please which brand of battery are u using and how well is it serving you
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:54pm On Jun 06, 2016
akbahbah:

Please which brand of battery are u using and how well is it serving you

I'm using Powertek and I must say, so far, I feel it hasn't reached my expectations..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Another thing to consider is if the inverter is a pure sine wave inverter with features like overload disconnection, circuit breaker protection, etc. I once spoke with a local manufacturer of inverter and all he could offer was a square wave (not even modified sine wave) inverter and for some exorbitant amount. I had to go for the Indian inverter which appears to be far batter and far cheaper..

Please which Indian brand can u recommend. Pleas give me seller contact too.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

I'm using Powertek and I must say, so far, I feel it hasn't reached my expectations..

That means u can't recommend it right?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:58pm On Jun 06, 2016
akbahbah:

Please which Indian brand can u recommend. Pleas give me seller contact too.

From the info I got from LanJonath on here, MPower seems to be great and he told me that his firm gives guarantee of one year for the battery so much so that, if the battery develops fault within this period, it will be replaced for you with a new one. To me, I think it'll be great investing in such.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2016
akbahbah:

That means u can't recommend it right?

I can't. It's the more reason I'm searching for the good brands since I want to help my uncle procure his solar power equipment. If they (both batteries) had served me well within the six month of usage, I'd not have even opened this thread in the first place because I would have had it in mind to buy it for my uncle. The inverter I'm using seems to be great tho.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by davodyguy: 1:04pm On Jun 06, 2016
akbahbah:

Please where can I get mercury battery in Lagos? I have combed almost every part of Alaba market and could not get one

the company that installed ours is Gennex and the batteries are branded mercury by Gennex
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2016
darocha1:

Mayb an estate.

I swearit! shocked shocked
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2016
davodyguy:

the company that installed ours is Gennex and the batteries are branded mercury by Gennex

Can u please give me their contact.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 1:25pm On Jun 06, 2016
davodyguy:

Can u please give me their contact?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by mecussey(m): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2016
CLASSMAN:
I use luminois inverter 1.5kva with 4 gaston batteries , men its wonderfull for the past 12 months i never for once on my grnerator its beeing gathering dust. Though expensive but worth it. With this 145 per litre

How much did you buy the Gaston batteries, how many amps, and where did you buy them?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by kowema(f): 1:50pm On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Please what is the price range of these products and approximately how many people do you know out there that use them...? Thanks..

Please Visit www.yudala.com and search for inverters.
You would see all price range. My neighbours bought from them
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 2:05pm On Jun 06, 2016
davodyguy:

SycophanticGoat:

You should try calling this number to ask if he has and the price he's selling.. 0803 964 4115, Ezi Blessed Nig. Ltd. Alaba.
Called him few days ago and he said his mercury battery sells for 78K. Don't know how much he'd be selling today.

Thanks,! Just called him now.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by davodyguy: 2:14pm On Jun 06, 2016
for those asking me questions, see the image of the filling station we built using solar panels as source of electricity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by inception101(m): 2:50pm On Jun 06, 2016
anochuks08:
If you are around Enugu, I ll take a look at your setup to find out whats wrong.

I'm in ihiala, anambra. Drop ur contacts
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by arsyga: 3:51pm On Jun 06, 2016
can u pls give d total cost for having a 2.4kva solar system.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 3:57pm On Jun 06, 2016
akbahbah:

Thanks,! Just called him now.

What did he say?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 4:26pm On Jun 06, 2016
kowema:

Please Visit www.yudala.com and search for inverters.
You would see all price range. My neighbours bought from them

OK, thanks..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by ollyboy009(m): 4:28pm On Jun 06, 2016
arsyga:
can u pls give d total cost for having a 2.4kva solar system.
Just budget around 350k for 2.4 kva modified wave inverter, 400 amp battery, 600watts solar panels and 30amps charsge controller..... Mppt controller to be specific. Cheers
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Skillz02(m): 4:58pm On Jun 06, 2016
CLASSMAN:
I use luminois inverter 1.5kva with 4 gaston batteries , men its wonderfull for the past 12 months i never for once on my grnerator its beeing gathering dust. Though expensive but worth it. With this 145 per litre
You dint tell us how much it cost u.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Wow! That's huge!!! Are you powering your full street? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by toneawe(m): 6:02pm On Jun 06, 2016
I have been using my inverter for the past 3 years now. The name of the product of my inverter is BLUE GATE. and no fault since then. Just the batteries that is loosig life span. It use to serve me for 8 hours but now the same four batteries last for just 4 to 5 hours wen fully charged. Please how much is 300W good solar panel? Cos I charge mine with NEPA source.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by bobojoshua(m): 6:22pm On Jun 06, 2016
darediamond:
First thing first, when choosing your Solar Panel, if you can not get 3-junction PVC , then buy only Monocrystaline Panels.

You need not to spend so much to get Solar Generator to Power your Electronics.

Original Mercury Deep Cell Battery made in Korea works well for me.

Unless you need power in the evening, you can preferably buy Grid-tie Inverter which is always all in one as it as been integrated with Maximum Power Point Tracker Controller to enable you get the most out of your Solar Panels. BuybMonocrystaline Panels always only.

You can still use battery with a grid-tie inverter mind you. Butbif you are on rigth budget, then G.T inverter will save you cost at the expense of no night power.

MPTT controller integrated in grid tie inverter makes sure that if your Panel is rated at 300w for example, you will at least be getting a minimum of 250 Watt of Power from your panel during the daylight.

Make sure the inverter you will buy have proper copper wound transformer and is as well integrated with Overload Protection, Short Circuit Protection, battery Low Voltage Protection.

I bougth my Panels from China as well as my Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Pure Sine Wave Inverter is what you should always go for to keep safe your electronics from possible malfunction and fault.

You can buy your Pure Sine Wave inverter on Aliexpress. Mine is name I power. It is built to withstand Overload, reverse Polarity etc.and I have tested all this Protection levels and it works fine. No damage at all. When you mistakenly overload it for example, instead of it to affect it internal component like MOSFET, the inverter will Shut down on it own. Immaginne that!

You can buy your Panels from Chinese on Alibaba.com

Just negotiate with the sale rep per watt starting fro say 10Watt. But prepare he or she ahead to agree to the fact that the more wattage you buy, the lesser the price.
But presently, most manufactures are selling Monocrystaline Cellers per Wattage between 30cent to 55cent.

Solar Business is the next big highly lucrativevBiz you can go into now. You justvhave to avoid greediness in the biz to make it big time or do I say attract people at large to buy from you.

One Package you can bring in now is 120Watt Folding Monocrystaline Panel with 150W Pure Sine Wave Grid Tie Inverter with 5V 2A USB port. This Package is for Students.

You can even remove the inverter and go straight for Integrated Universal Laptop DC to DC Charger of 150. The integration therein implies that the DC to DC universal Laptop Adapter will have on it board MPTT Circuit which will be feeding the main Circuit of the Universal Laptop Adapter Circuit.

So Buyers of this Package will need no Battery at all to use the folding 120watt Monocrystaline Panel to get there Laptops Charged during the day anywhere they are.

The panel will have a shock absorbing carrier bag to ensure Smith mobility. It Advance universal adapter will have the major tips of Laptop brands like Accer, Samsung etc.

You can get electronics engineering company to newly manufacture this type of laptop adapter for you.

The adapter can also be made to have 2 USB output of 5v/2A each for fast charging assurance.

If you have the money go into this Biz now forget electronics as people lacks constant power supply to power there phones let alone other bigger ones.

Be wise. Be a problem solver not Problem creator.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by mercifull(f): 6:50pm On Jun 06, 2016
I use the mtn solar panel. Comes with 2 bulbs and a fan for 30k.plus I can charge my phone, tab and mini laptop. And I recharge 3 K monthly. That's just OK for me for now cos I live in a small apartment.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 7:18pm On Jun 06, 2016
mercifull:
I use the mtn solar panel. Comes with 2 bulbs and a fan for 30k.plus I can charge my phone, tab and mini laptop. And I recharge 3 K monthly. That's just OK for me for now cos I live in a small apartment.

Kindly post pictures of the MTN solar panel, batteries and inverter and do you have to recharit it monthly for it to work?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 7:20pm On Jun 06, 2016
toneawe:
I have been using my inverter for the past 3 years now. The name of the product of my inverter is BLUE GATE. and no fault since then. Just the batteries that is loosig life span. It use to serve me for 8 hours but now the same four batteries last for just 4 to 5 hours wen fully charged. Please how much is 300W good solar panel? Cos I charge mine with NEPA source.

Last time I bought my 300W/24V, it sold for 49k
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Lanjonath(m): 8:29pm On Jun 06, 2016
No they don't if you get a good one, should last up to 15yrs+

MikkyT1:
Nice thread....please I learnt solar panel get expired...it true? Cos someone intends dashing me one very big panel

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by bigtt76(f): 11:15pm On Jun 06, 2016
Pictures and layout designs please

davodyguy:
Its really interesting.

We just commissioned a mega gas station adjacent to Lagos Business School in Ajah and it is fully solar powered

No single electricity from the national grid.
All ACs, pumps, lightings and equipment all get fed from the solar panel.

It cost is millions of naira

We have 48 *3 batteries. Installed i.e 144 200Ah batteries and 93KVA total power available at the station
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by dave07(m): 11:27pm On Jun 06, 2016
Great thread and sincerity by the OP
INVERTER

Firstly, I'm using Microtek (1.6KVa/24V) Pure Sinewave Inverter which is a very strong one and is almost getting to it's sixth month. Why I classify it as a strong inverter is that on several occasions, I've had it plugged into a socket that feeds off itself mistakenly but it hasn't developed any fault at all. From what I've heard, this can outrightly damage an inverter. I've been more careful these days but as you all know it, mistakes are bound to happen and I usually tend to repeat it once in a while. By the way, it's made in India.

I've heard about Indian brands like Su-Kam, Luminous and Synergy. These set seems to be the high end Indian products and from what I've heard, it seems they do their work well tho might be costlier than others. My bro used his Luminous Inverter for 18 months before it developed fault.. I've heard only very little about other brands like MPower, SoccerPower, etc. From what I heard about these other inverters, they are ok.

From the person I purchased my solar system, I got to hear of American brand called TriStar. Quit expensive but does it job outstandingly well.
There is a need to clarify the two main types of inverters in the market today. 1. The high frequency inverters pure or modified sine wave, inexpensive and relatively light in weight. If all you want is lighting, TV, decoder, fans and the likes, then go for this.
2. The low frequency inverters, pure or modified sinewave, more expensive, bulky with more weight. If you are considering more inductive load like refrigerators, electric motor or compressor based application, in addition to the load listed above then you are good with thus.
Most inverters in the market today incorpoates a battery charging element which enable you to recharge your depleted battery once there is mains power. On suitable brand, the indian brand I agree are more preffered though more expensive plus the fact that the input voltage range IMO are most ti es unnecessarily outrageous! For instance 12V is limited to less than 1KVA, 24V limited to 2.4KVA, anything rating higher than this goes for 48V, 96, and even 120V whereas you will still get an American Spec (e.g Outback) of 5KVA rating with 24V input. There are locally built inverter and Chinese inverters less than 2KVA that can easily be purchased within a tight budget and yet perform well. The only edge Luminous, Sukam & co have (IMO) is the availability of after sales repairs and services offered

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

Sloth Caught In My School Today / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.