Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,843 members, 7,806,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

The True Perks Of Being Single - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The True Perks Of Being Single (1226 Views)

The Perks Of Bringing Home A Slay Queen / The Unique Perks Of Dating An Older Woman / 6 Quotes Ladies Say To Justify Themselves For Being Single (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Perks Of Being Single by modelt(m): 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
So today, 5th of June, I was feeling a bit relaxed. Of course, being a Sunday afternoon, there’s not much to do besides watching a few movies, internet videos, and taking excessive naps. As I kept watching one video to the next, I scanned through the list of suggested videos and I came across one that caught my eye. The title was “8 perks of being single”. At this point in time, I am single and loving it, and what better thing to watch online than something to remind you that being single is super awesome. So I clicked on the video, and watched the whole 2 minutes of it smiley .

What I found out was that the idea of being single is hugely misleading. Most of our perspectives have changed badly. A few perks listed in the video include “having more cash to spare” or “having the bed all to yourself” or “eating what ever you want for dinner” and some other superficial benefits attached to being single. Truth is, you can be single in the world we live in today and still have a different girl in your bed each night. You can be single and still spend on dates every single weekend. You can be single and still have different ladies cook your meals at intervals. So if all these things are still possible while being “single", then what are the true perks of being single?

Before I came to the understand what the perks of being single are, I had to do a few things. These are personal things I needed to do, and I am not imploring that it is something anyone should do. The decision was solely based on my own evaluation of myself and what I needed to do to be a better person.

Before the turn of the year, I was an extremely sexually active person. And it was basically impossible to have a female friend that wasn’t with benefits. In order to find myself, I decided to abstain for the whole year. To really see this through, I have had to break off contact with all my previous friends with benefits, or potential ones (by the way, I wasn’t relationship kinda guy in the first place smiley ). So before the decision, I was technically single, but after the decision, I became truly single. Now that I’ve been truly single for over six months now, I can tell you a few true perks I’ve discovered.

Being truly single means that besides your family, you really have no other person you care about romantically. Being truly single makes you see everybody, including an attractive opposite sex as just another human being, and not a potential girlfriend, or a potential friend with benefits. You begin a conversation with them not with the hope of getting a number, or taking them home with you, but solely because you just want to talk. Yeah, just talk. Being truly single is the state where you are alone, you’re not searching, you’re not needing anyone for anything, and you’re are loving it. You’ll rather stay that way than allow anyone ruin that for you.

Being truly single means that you have enough time for yourself, to figure out what you want to do with your life, without adding any other person to the equation. This means you can wake up on a Saturday morning, and go hiking alone, go to the beach alone, go to the cinema to see any film you want to see alone, all without having to ask or answer to anyone to agree on a shared location or venue to go.

In essence, the true perk of being single, is the fact that it gives you the time to find yourself, love yourself, enjoy your own company, and live your own life. This state is not meant to last forever, and in fact, in order for you to have a good and lasting relationship, you need to have been truly single at one point in your life.

This period is definitely not a fixed period. It might be a year for some, for others they might need a few years, others a few months. Regardless of how long or short your true single life needs to be, just know that if you are single and you feel it is a bad thing, then you’re looking at it the wrong way. If you’re tired of being single, then it means you are tired of loving yourself. If you truly love yourself, then you really can’t be tired or scared that you’ll die alone. You simply keep loving every minute of it, and you’ll certainly not feel jealous of your friends in relationships because they are the ones missing out on what you’re enjoying.

Of course, for the sake of human survival, we all need other people in our lives. This is not to advocate being single forever. This is just to let you know that when you truly get the best out of being single, you won’t need to search for that special one, you won’t need to look for your life calling, you won’t need any external source of happiness, and you definitely won’t suffer from common relationship troubles like insecurity, trust, and fear of heartbreak (because you won’t be afraid of going back to that awesome state of being single). When you have really gotten the best from being single, everything else falls into place. I only came to this realisation from making my abstinence decision. Now I am truly single, and I am loving every single bit of it (pun intended smiley ).

2 Likes

Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
Ok....grin

Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by faith551(m): 11:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
Yea, I've heard all that a million times, been single for a year and some months now,you want the truth?
Waking up in the morning with no one to think of is really boring
Dressing up knowing that there's no special person to commend u is discouraging
Having all the food and space in the world will make u grow fat.
Sometimes I feel like my life is slipping away from me, If every single guy out there can tell the truth we all feel that same way. 6mnths is nothing compared to almost 2 years tho

1 Like

Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
you must be happy being single before you can be happy in a relationship. most people jump into relationships before finding themselves. hence they find themselves by trial and error, by burning themselves etc. it's all good tho. it's life. I know I've had my shares

1 Like

Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by peter(m): 11:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
Enjoying being single truly fun.....I concur
I can choose not to call anyone for a week or month...and nobody will prosecute me

Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by modelt(m): 11:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
faith551:
Yea, I've heard all that a million times, been single for a year and some months now,you want the truth?
Waking up in the morning with no one to think of is really boring
Dressing up knowing that there's no special person to commend u is discouraging
Having all the food and space in the world will make u grow fat.
Sometimes I feel like my life is slipping away from me, If every single guy out there can tell the truth we all feel that same way. 6mnths is nothing compared to almost 2 years tho

Sadly, you're not in love with yourself. Do what you want to do and what you love to do. Make yourself happy. The rest comes easily.
Wake up in the morning and just greet yourself to a big smile in the mirror.
Dress up and wear what you want, appreciate how good you look.
Treat yourself to a nice meal, and eat healthy of course. Give your body well deserved exercises too.

If you don't love yourself, don't expect anyone to do that for you. What you should try to learn is how to love yourself.
Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by faith551(m): 11:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
modelt:

Sadly, you're not in love with yourself. Do what you want to do and what you love to do. Make yourself happy. The rest comes easily.
Wake up in the morning and just greet yourself to a big smile in the mirror.
Dress up and wear what you want, appreciate how good you look.
Treat yourself to a nice meal, and eat healthy of course. Give your body well deserved exercises too.

If you don't love yourself, don't expect anyone to do that for you. What you should try to learn is how to love yourself.

Even a blind person is inlove with himself then why not me. Do all that over and over again for a year+ and it doesn't get boring??
As i said 6mnths is nothing
Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by jovialSoul001(m): 12:06am On Jun 06, 2016
una no De sleep . well me no get time to read the epistle am single and living it.
Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by fbtowner(m): 12:09am On Jun 06, 2016
op first I must commend u on this good job

I have been single for years I was single throughout my time in the university

and I must say if u posses all this that OP mentioned u would understand while being single is cool

I can travel without having to explain to anyone where I'm going

I must say it has help me build my life and my future I spend less in airtime and social outing

u will agree with me that the money you spend on airtime while in a relationship is far more than that of a business man

what actually makes me hate relationship is this following idea

1) I will be d on to pay d bills and yet you would be forming hard to get while toasting u

2) I'm spending my money and I would still have to consider u above myself

3) after spending a lot u can decide to leave me tomorrow without returning all that I have spent

4) they believe they should get everything free because they are girls

I think most men in relationship are just being to d ladies

I don't give give F**ck about any lady I just leave my life

I will rather spend for my guys than to spend for girls
Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by jashar(f): 12:21am On Jun 06, 2016
being single, grin cheesy grin cheesy rocks
Re: The True Perks Of Being Single by henrygale(m): 4:38am On Jun 06, 2016
Ok

(1) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Slept With My Lecturer For Me To Graduate, Should I Just Leave Her / . / 9 Types Of Men You Should Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.