Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:58 PM

My Bicycle Restoration Project - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Bicycle Restoration Project (16938 Views)

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project / Aston Martin Unveils ₦7.6m Bicycle, Would You Buy It?(Photos) / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 11:55am On Aug 10, 2016
and bike is finished and ready to be ridden. I tested it out and because of my weight. around 80kg, the speed was not 57kph or 51 or thereabout. the max speed i got was a 40kph while riding and coming down a hill, I was getting 45kph. that was the tops. I also had an accident with this bike yesterday. I was lucky I was not back home otherwise It would have been another story. I was riding and I wanted to switch lanes. There are light rail tracks on the road. they are also called trams, my bike tire got stuck in it . I was not sure which of the tires but it got stuck and I found myself on the road and with a few bruises but it wasnt serious. the bike also had a few scratches and refused to work till i looked at it this morning and found out that the impact on the bike to the floor caused some wires to short circuit which wasnt enabling the throttle send the right power to the motor through the controller box.

I remember what someone here told me that he would not want to get on this kind of bike but the thing is that these kinds of accidents are common with bicycles and just over 3weeks ago, I was talking to someone here about it and she told me that some of her co workers have been involved in these kind of accident. Its an instance when the tire of a bicycle( which is obviously smaller) comes in parallel contact with the tram tracks. so no matter what speed you are on, that entrance causes an automatic stop to the bike which would throw the bike and it owner to the ground in no time.

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2015/11/08/tram-crash-cyclist-tram-accidents-in-sheffield/

up there is a detailed writeup about this kind of accident.

and if you still dont understand, here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vNDaZkUeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAVD4EXb8_M
i am just a bit upset that it caused some scratches on the rack, the two grips, and one other place i dont know what it is called. But it requires very minor fixes and I would get that done.

To those who followed, thanks a bunch. Here is what the bike looks like now and Its a bit dirty because I rode in the rain. Would try to take better pictures and upload them for everyone. Bye!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Tochex101(m): 10:48pm On Aug 10, 2016
Few things are more satisfying than seeing the fruit of your labour. I've been there, and bet you feel awesome each time you look at that bike.
Great job man!
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by kolnel: 8:42am On Aug 11, 2016
Nice job
I followed back to back
Maybe one of these days I can do same to one of my bikes if time and dollars permit

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:07pm On Aug 11, 2016
kolnel:
Nice job
I followed back to back
Maybe one of these days I can do same to one of my bikes if time and dollars permit

To be honest, I would not advice anybody in Nigeria to do that kind of project. especially in a city like Lagos. Its equivalent to dying quick. That bike is fast. Even for a 40-50kph. its very fast. Except maybe in your hometown or something where you know the road is always free. For this ur bike, I would advice you to strip the paint like the other guy did. I am sure it would be cheap to repaint.

Thanks for the commendation though.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2016
Tochex101:
Few things are more satisfying than seeing the fruit of your labour. I've been there, and bet you feel awesome each time you look at that bike.
Great job man!

Thanks! well, that joy died when i fell down with the bike. I hate to see scratches on my properties. Lmao! my fine leather seat is no more tickling my fancy.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by delishpot: 5:00pm On Aug 11, 2016
Super bike. It came out looking awsome. I love the brown accent. I would love one day to make a covered tricycle. One that can carry up to 4 passengers
Bravo on the bike you built.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
delishpot:
Super bike. It came out looking awsome. I love the brown accent. I would love one day to make a covered tricycle. One that can carry up to 4 passengers
Bravo on the bike you built.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2016
Promised better pictures. Here they are

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 02, 2016
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 02, 2016
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by okikiosibodu(m): 1:03am On Apr 26, 2020
kolnel:
Nice job
I followed back to back
Good evening... I am considering changing my bike.. I don't mind if you can be of help... Is this an hybrid bike?
Also what are the major differences between a mountain bike and hybrid, in terms of performance?
Can you also give tips on factors to consider when choosing between size 26 and 28
Cc: Redcliff
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by mctfopt: 9:02pm On Jan 02, 2021
redcliff:
Promised better pictures. Here they are

How's the bike today? I'm in the market for a good ebike just for riding pleasure grin
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:34pm On Jan 16, 2021
mctfopt:

How's the bike today? I'm in the market for a good ebike just for riding pleasure grin

The bike is going great. no major issues just minor fixes here and there

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Professorcplus(m): 5:03pm On May 28, 2022
redcliff:
Update: Coated the spray paint with a clear coat spray. Its function is to protect the spray from scratches and give the spray a finished look. I have done that and I would let this sit out and dry for the next one week. As I read on some forums that it needs a while to really thicken. Anyway, I am expecting my motorized kit sometime this month and I would use that opportunity to assemble the important parts of the bike that needs assembly and leave out other parts that the kit would need.

First off, I had to clean the frame and the other parts as it sat for about 2 days after the normal spray. I just tried to make sure i took out any dust that could have been accumulated over that 48hr period. Then i applied the clear coat. It made the frame a bit shiny which i did not really like but I hope it fades out with time as the spray i got was a matt black one, I wish that the bike has that matt black look.
This is what made me found this post, I'm taking the DIY step to remodel and paint this bike glossy army black and red. What do you think

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 6:24pm On May 28, 2022
Professorcplus:

This is what made me found this post, I'm taking the DIY step to remodel and paint this bike glossy army black and red. What do you think

Yes you should go for it, for best results, il advice that you dismantle the bike to the teeth and spray. if possible, see if you can sandblast it to remove the previous color.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Professorcplus(m): 10:38pm On May 28, 2022
redcliff:

Yes you should go for it, for best results, il advice that you dismantle the bike to the teeth and spray. if possible, see if you can sandblast it to remove the previous color.
Thanks, I'm on DIY although, I already know necessary paints and material to use, I got some fancy paint design and sticker ideas on Ytube.

I might do a documentary for it. But First, I need to check list my budget and compare with the quote Sir kazeem d' local painter gave me which is 9k naira.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:36am On May 29, 2022
Professorcplus:

Thanks, I'm on DIY although, I already know necessary paints and material to use, I got some fancy paint design and sticker ideas on Ytube.

I might do a documentary for it. But First, I need to check list my budget and compare with the quote Sir kazeem d' local painter gave me which is 9k naira.

ah, yea, I did not even consider that part. DIY doesnt necessarily mean you have to do all yourself, but if someone is able to do it to your taste and you were able to supervise it, that in my opinion is good enough to be classified DIY. I guess its even cheaper and less stress free with a professional result. Go for it if that is an option.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make / Nigerian Women Are Bad Drivers!!! / Reasons Why Your Car Shuts Off While Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.