Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Interesting Educative Questions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Interesting Educative Questions (697 Views)

Finally Something Educative With Whatsapp / Edx - An Educative Online Program / The Educative Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Educative Questions by Elgaxton(m): 10:47am On Aug 26, 2009
I have always wondered

[B]Why Do Birds Not Get Electrocuted When They Stand On High Tension Electric Wires?[/B]

and after some research I came up with this answer from google search:

The wire is not neutral - it is live. Birds do not get electocuted because they are not connected to earth and therefore do not complete a circuit through which the electricity can flow. Electricity takes the easiest route to earth, ie along the cable. There is no reason for it to take a detour through the bird if the bird does not form a shortcut to earth.

But i still wonder what happens to us humans if we hang unto a naked high tension without having bodies earthed?

Are we gonna survive or get fried up by high voltage?

Please hear your views + your own questions.
Re: Interesting Educative Questions by hclacid(m): 1:00pm On Aug 29, 2009
one thing we should realize is that there is no way you can explain anything relating to engineering especially electricity without a mathematical model. the structure of birds facilitates insulation and due to this reason the flow of current through a bird becomes very difficult. in other words since R = V/I, the resistance to current flow through the bird at that point tends to infinity because the current I tends to zero.
do you know what is going to happen when a curious guy tries to be like a bird, he'd get pimped meaning barbecue.

(1) (Reply)

Unn Reparation Fee Announced / Middlesex University Uk Scholarship / Get The Latest 0800 Tollfree And 0700 Smat Numbers Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.