Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics (11172 Views)

'Jonathan Testifying For Dasuki In Court Is Desirable'- Dasuki's Lawyer A. Raji / The Entire World Is Watching Ikpeazu With His Delay Tactics- Ogah / Saraki's CCT Trial ; Latest Proceeding Delay Tactics Thrown Out... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by kahal29: 3:58am On Jun 07, 2016
Justice Hussein Baba Yusuf of an Abuja High Court and former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Mr. Joseph Dauda SAN and counsel to former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), monday engaged in uncomplimentary verbal exchange in the open court over the trial of Dasuki for alleged diversion of $2.1billion arms fund diversion.

The trial slated for monday could not however go ahead as senior lawyers present in court persuaded the judge to adjourn the trial to calm down the frayed nerves.

Dasuki through Dauda had filed a new application to consolidate the charges against him in two Abuja High Courts.

He claimed that the charges in the two courts constituted abuse of court process because they have same facts and figure and that he would be prejudiced if the two courts try him simultaneously.
However, immediately Daudu introduced the motion, Justice Baba Yusuf became angry and challenged him on what his client would suffer should the two courts go ahead with the trial.

The judge lambasted Daudu for employing delay tactics to shield Dasuki from trial, insisting that the tactic would not work in his own court.

Daudu’s insistence that the motion be determined one way or the other before the trial would begin further provoked the judge who vowed not to give any indulgence to Daudu or move to delay the trial.

“If you think the mission of this new motion is to delay the trial, I can assure you that it has already failed. I know your antecedents in this type of cases, filing frivolous, baseless and un-warranted motions to frustrate the court and trial of your client.

“I know the next motion you will file will be to ask me to withdraw or disqualify myself from this case, I will not succumb to your old fashion of doing things. It will not work in my court.

“I have over-indulged you and I am ready to go ahead with this trial today. I cannot be coming here to waste my time, I have granted you enough respect, this application is a disrespect to me.

“I have known you for certain things, if you have a court where people will dance to your tune, go to that court. I am not ready to dance to your tune.

“You are here with a dishonest motive as far as this motion is concern. The whole target is to frustrate the trial, but you will fail.

Tension rose to the peak when counsel to the federal government Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) announced to the court the he respected Daudu a lot as a senior colleague, a role model and former NBA President and ended up describing Daudu’s action with the motion as very unfortunate.

Attempt by Daudu to complain of insult from Jacobs to the Judge was rebuffed when Justice Baba Yusuf said “for your information a junior counsel can advise a senior one and that is my position.

“I have been accommodating all sort of nonsense, yet you are not ready to respect me. You are disgracing me as one who does not know what he is doing here.

“You are subjecting me and this court to public disgrace. When you come to court people are watching and we must behave, that is my advice for you.

At this point a former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Chief Akin Olujimi (SAN) cut-in and prayed the judge to grant adjournment “for us to sort out ourselves.”

Olujimi said: “I have never seen your lordship in this kind of situation and please adjourn to enable us sort out things.”

Justice Baba Yusuf grudgingly adjourned the matter till June 15 for hearing of the motion.
Dasuki had asked the court to consolidate the two criminal charges bordering on alleged corruption and breach of trust brought against him by the federal government in the course of his official duties.

In the fresh motion, the former NSA claimed that the trial in two different courts on the same issues and facts was unconstitutional and prejudicial to his right to fair trial by the court.

Dasuki who is standing trial on allegation of alleged misappropriation of $2.1billion along with four others before Justice Baba Yusuf insisted that the charges against him by the complainant on the same issue constituted a gross abuse of court process.

However, counsel to federal government, Mr. Rotimi Jacob (SAN) objected to the motion on the ground that it was a ploy to frustrate and delay trial and urged Justice Baba Yusuf to proceed with the trial.

However, Daudu urged the court to decide the motion one way or the other before the trial can commence because fundamental constitutional issues have been raised in the motion that required the termination first before anything could be done.

Other defendants in the charge did not object to hearing the motion prompting Justice Baba Yusuf to adjourn till June 15, 2016 for hearing.

In the motion brought pursuant to Section 6 and 36 of the 1999 Constitution and Section 1, 208, 396, 491 and 492 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, Dasuki claimed that the two charges revolved around the same set of transaction and facts on the alleged funds misappropriation and the breach of trust.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/06/07/judge-lambasts-dasukis-lawyer-accuses-him-of-employing-delay-tactics/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by ikbnice(m): 4:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Delay tactics! I don't blame the lawyer, he's doing what they are well-known for.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:17am On Jun 07, 2016
kahal29:
Justice Hussein Baba Yusuf of an Abuja High Court and former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Mr. Joseph Dauda SAN and counsel to former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), monday engaged in uncomplimentary verbal exchange in the open court over the trial of Dasuki for alleged diversion of $2.1billion arms fund diversion.

The trial slated for monday could not however go ahead as senior lawyers present in court persuaded the judge to adjourn the trial to calm down the frayed nerves.

Dasuki through Dauda had filed a new application to consolidate the charges against him in two Abuja High Courts.

He claimed that the charges in the two courts constituted abuse of court process because they have same facts and figure and that he would be prejudiced if the two courts try him simultaneously.
However, immediately Daudu introduced the motion, Justice Baba Yusuf became angry and challenged him on what his client would suffer should the two courts go ahead with the trial.

The judge lambasted Daudu for employing delay tactics to shield Dasuki from trial, insisting that the tactic would not work in his own court.

Daudu’s insistence that the motion be determined one way or the other before the trial would begin further provoked the judge who vowed not to give any indulgence to Daudu or move to delay the trial.

“If you think the mission of this new motion is to delay the trial, I can assure you that it has already failed. I know your antecedents in this type of cases, filing frivolous, baseless and un-warranted motions to frustrate the court and trial of your client.

“I know the next motion you will file will be to ask me to withdraw or disqualify myself from this case, I will not succumb to your old fashion of doing things. It will not work in my court.

“I have over-indulged you and I am ready to go ahead with this trial today. I cannot be coming here to waste my time, I have granted you enough respect, this application is a disrespect to me.

“I have known you for certain things, if you have a court where people will dance to your tune, go to that court. I am not ready to dance to your tune.

“You are here with a dishonest motive as far as this motion is concern. The whole target is to frustrate the trial, but you will fail.

Tension rose to the peak when counsel to the federal government Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) announced to the court the he respected Daudu a lot as a senior colleague, a role model and former NBA President and ended up describing Daudu’s action with the motion as very unfortunate.

Attempt by Daudu to complain of insult from Jacobs to the Judge was rebuffed when Justice Baba Yusuf said “for your information a junior counsel can advise a senior one and that is my position.

“I have been accommodating all sort of nonsense, yet you are not ready to respect me. You are disgracing me as one who does not know what he is doing here.

“You are subjecting me and this court to public disgrace. When you come to court people are watching and we must behave, that is my advice for you.
Now this is what you call a Judge!!!

Kudos.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by rusher14: 4:20am On Jun 07, 2016
Once held, "against my fundamental human rights".

"Charge me to court".

Once they are charged to court the strategy changes all in the bid to frustrate and prevent justice.

Delays and manipulation.

One even said the trial judge and himself were classmates way back in law school and he can recall meeting him at a function years after. He recommended the judge step down.

Guilt is found in the games defence puts up.

Why not defend yourself?

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by kishimi8(m): 4:30am On Jun 07, 2016
Dauda career might end if he's not careful.
He's too disrespectful of court processes.

He hardly tries to defend the accusations against his clients always finding a way to stall the case.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by chriskosherbal(m): 4:33am On Jun 07, 2016
OK
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by kahal29: 5:39am On Jun 07, 2016
Yam eaters

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 07, 2016
Reminds me of a book; "The Incorruptible Judge".

More elbow to yhur grease judge. Dasuki most vomit our yam dan gidan su

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by 989900: 7:28am On Jun 07, 2016
This "Dauda the sexy guy" will soon "climb tree pass leaf" . . . "a gun igi koja ewe". angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by sapientia1(m): 8:04am On Jun 07, 2016
We dont know for how long this Dasuki case will continue

2 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Dandsome: 8:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Are we still on this matter?

Its obvious this issue will linger till God knows when...
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Feranchek(m): 8:05am On Jun 07, 2016
Make una prosecute this yam seller shaperly na

2 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by teepsee(f): 8:08am On Jun 07, 2016
Is this man case still been delayed, are they planing to kill the old man. Well this will teach him lesson not to touch what is not his again in his life. But hope he will still chop undone beans for kirikiri, if not

1 Like

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Saintbonnie(m): 8:12am On Jun 07, 2016
But the delay tactic eventually worked.

1 Like

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by jahsharon: 8:13am On Jun 07, 2016
abuayman:
Reminds me of a book; "The Incorruptible Judge".

More elbow to yhur grease judge. Dasuki most vomit our yam dan gidan su

You read the book also? You should be approaching 40 years then. How are you planning your 40th birthday? Remember that 'Life begins at 40'.

5 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by 8BitGee(m): 8:15am On Jun 07, 2016
What is the role of the NBA and NJC in whipping in place all these debased lawyers we have out there these days? The judge is absolutely right. Joseph Daudu is famous for filing frivolous motions, while Riki Tafa is known for bribing judges.

BTW, VP Osinbajo and Itse Sagay, we need special courts to try corruption related offences now!!! The regular courts already have too much on their hands!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Pavore9: 8:19am On Jun 07, 2016
The Dasuki some are wailing over is becoming comfortable in his present setting thus delaying his case?

1 Like

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by x9ja1960: 8:20am On Jun 07, 2016
I am not a lawyer but from a layman's perspective Mr. Joseph Dauda's request is not unreasonable. Why charge a man on same issues in two different courts? What is wrong in consolidating them into one, wouldn't it in fact save us the time and resources Justice Yusuf is complaining about? Except there is something else behind this whole drama...I don't see what the fuss is all about especially if the prosecutors are certain of their facts to nail the guy! In my opinion, having two identical cases running at the same time is fishy.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by hottathanfire(m): 8:23am On Jun 07, 2016
This
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by olaremint(m): 8:25am On Jun 07, 2016
In as much as I hate Dasukis guts, his lawyer is however right, trying a man for the same offence in different courts is an abuse of court, the matters should be consolidated and tried in a court once and for all.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by hardywaltz(m): 8:27am On Jun 07, 2016
Dasuki
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by anwe: 8:28am On Jun 07, 2016
Why should they be same charges in three different courts ? Is this proper ? Lawyers in the house please advise. Is this not abuse of court process by extension corruption ?
Me think the charges should be consolidated since they are one and the same thing. Again why pass through the pain of trail on the same matter over and over again.
Will the judgement be different ? Just like the bail that was met and the keep arresting him ?
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Alexk2(m): 8:33am On Jun 07, 2016
This is why I have issue with our judiciary system. If it's not a delay tactics, it'll be bribery and corruption or lawyers disrespecting judges and court processes..... But if it's a case involving the poor, you'll see how fast they'll rush to judgement and measure endless jail terms.
Election tribunal judgements, corruption cases, false asset declaration cases..... All follow same stead. Kogi election tribunal judgement is still fresh in our memory.

Can we ever get it right with our judiciary? embarassed undecided
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by jahsharon: 8:33am On Jun 07, 2016
anwe:
Why should they be same charges in three different courts ? Is this proper ? Lawyers in the house please advise.
Me think the charges should be consolidated since they are one and the same thing. Again why pass through the pain of trail on the same matter over and over again.

The monies were shared at different time, used to buy different properties, used to buy different cars, given to different traditional rulers and politicians, used to fvck different Aristos and kept in different accounts in different countries and in different continents of the world.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by bonechamberlain(m): 8:34am On Jun 07, 2016
A judge should not speak this way nah. Even if the judge is biased. The tone of the judge is suspicious. Why trying a case in three different courts. This man isn't fit to be a judge on this case cause with the way he spoke, no sane person should expect a fair trial from this court. Unless Mr daudu is changed or the judge is changed.

1 Like

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by goodforsomthing: 8:36am On Jun 07, 2016
Money the root of evil,may GOD have mercy on our country o.
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Burger01(m): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2016
Sentence this Dasuki goat make we have rest abeg angry

1 Like

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Alexk2(m): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2016
olaremint; In as much as I hate Dasukis guts, his lawyer is however right, trying a man for the same offence in different courts is an abuse of court, the matters should be consolidated and tried in a court once and for all.

Your comment shows you're not following the case. It's Dasuki's lawyer that keep running to different court to stall the trial... He even took the case to ecowas court.

6 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by Infinitikoncept(m): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2016
I really don't support same case tried in two different courts. It's like getting the answers from court A to counter me in court B which is corruption and cheating. Let them consolidate it into one and come attack him together. Even the FG aren't serious with the way they are handling this cases with kids glove. Its one year gone and not one high profile case has been won or lost na draw them still dey yet if na yahoo yahoo boy or matter of person steal 50k him go don enter kirikiri they cool AC
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by anwe: 8:38am On Jun 07, 2016
jahsharon:

The monies were shared at different time, used to buy different properties, used to buy different cars, given to different traditional rulers and politicians, used to fvck different Aristos and kept in different accounts in different countries and in different continents of the world.

But it is one and the same thing, misappropriation of funds, which should be charged as such and the expenses should then becomes evidence.
Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by omolola15(m): 8:40am On Jun 07, 2016
jahsharon:

You read the book also? You should be approaching 40 years then. How are you planning your 40th birthday? Remember that 'Life begins at 40'.

Haba the book don old reach like that? I played the role of the police officer years back in my secondary school drama group. I think his name is agbalowomeri. It was fun back then.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Lambasts Dasuki’s Lawyer, Accuses Him Of Employing Delay Tactics by bonechamberlain(m): 8:40am On Jun 07, 2016
kahal29:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/06/07/judge-lambasts-dasukis-lawyer-accuses-him-of-employing-delay-tactics/
look at how a judge is vitupirating. The only reason why the federal govt is trying this case in different court is to get conflicting judgement and create confusion. If not I don't see the reason why three different court would precide on the same case.

And for this judge it is obvious that dasuki cannot get a fair trial from him. Even danladi umar didn't make noise this way. This man isn't fit to be a judge on this case.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Electricity Grid Rises To 4,133mw / Communities Protest Exclusion Of Anambra From Oil-producing States / Tribunal Requested Us To Withdraw From Kano Guber Appeal – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.