Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. (1059 Views)

KASU P-UTME 2017/2018 Admission Screening Form Out / The Cancellation Of Post Utme, A Blessing To Our Educational System. / How To Calculate Your Aggregate Score Now That P.utme Has Been Scrapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Medley(m): 5:15am On Jun 08, 2016
It's no longer news that the government has stopped tertiary institutions from organizing P-UTME for students that wish to seek for admission in their institution. Inasmuch as there are a lots of merits to this decision which include and perhaps not limited to the fact that students' who want to seek admission will no longer spend on exhorbitant fees charged by this various institutions that ranges from 2500-10000(Nigerian Naira) and the hassles and stress of travelling to sometimes very far places to write their exams-which is another cost on it's own and the burdening task of applicants looking for how to be accommodated.

I think the cancellation was hurriedly made by the government and should have been announced before JAMB conducted this years UTME. This are my corroborating points:

1. The Government is Tongue Twisting on The decision to fully scrap P-UTME
The Public Relations officer of the Nigerian Universities Commission, Ibrahim Yakasai, as an addendum said the institutions can go along with screening of candidates who wish to be admitted but shouldn't conduct post-UTME. I then ask myself what other meaning is screening?! Do you expect the institution to use their resources to screen students while On the other hand JAMB which is set up by law have already done a screening of which student paid 5000-6000(to register), and what medium will this screening be done? are they going to wirte the answers on the board for the student and how many days will this take?. considering how the screening was done before the advent of P-UTME-some schools tell student to go to their various department applied for and in some instance they are asked 3-5 oral questions that may be logic, general knowledge or P-UTME Subject combinations. Will this be a fair or standard way to select the best? what if the question asked are the areas the applicant is not too good at but has excellent grade on other subject? are we doing experimental probability on the future of our youths. What the scrapping of p-UTME should be seen to be is that the cut-off mark of the departments will be announced and after the submission of the supporting document, the list of admitted candidates announced.

2.The Institutions are yet to announce their cut-off mark for each department and i'm sure(80% chance) that when they do, they will be protest by applicants. The institutions before now will allow for people with scores above 180 or 200 to right their post-UTME(though they do this to make money) but most times some of the people with the not-so-high come with lots of fight and even do far better than those that scored very high in JAMB and when the average of JAMB and P-UTME are added they get admission sometimes on merit(probably may be they were not well graded in the first place by JAMB or they were tested on the wrong subject combination-may be by programming error).

3. The Institutions Were not informed of the decision of the government to do away with P-UTME as seen in the case of Ekiti state University that announced their P-UTME and cancelled it after the announcement of the stoppage of conducting P-UTME by the government. what this imply is that there was a communication gap with the major stakeholders and this is not a good approach of making decisions on issues of national importance. I am not speaking in support of the institutions but they ought to have been informed and it shouldn't have been the other way round of them hearing it when the minister was being interviewed. Majority of the institutions have invested a large sum of their internally generated revenue in buying more computers and other installations so that student can write CBT based Exams(Which they most times do better than JAMB).

4. JAMB should ensure that they provide more exam centers so that student will not be faced with the hassles of traveling too far because center to write the UTME in their closest location is filled to capacity. also, JAMB should make sure student are well tested and graded which can make the result written against any name free from wrong score allocation or poor marking due to errors. if all this is put to place then the result of the student stand alone for the admission process. This years UTME Exams cannot be said to have met this specification, if next year(2016/2017) could be worked upon then we can reach the points were p-UTME Can be cancelled and everybody is happy.

5. The process of registering for p-UTME has made the announcement of admitted candidate by various institutions very fast. Most of the candidate know the school cut-off mark after writing their p-UTME and this has reduced corruption in that regards. The fact that applicants also fill bio-data form and upload their supporting document has also made admission process faster.
written by me.

This is my opinion, what's yours?

1 Like

Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by brunofarad(m): 5:49am On Jun 08, 2016
Following
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by xender(m): 7:42am On Jun 08, 2016
Correct.
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Medley(m): 9:30am On Jun 09, 2016
OAU Public relations officer just announced that they won't conduct p-UTME, does that mean there aren't gonna screen their applicants?
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Drdonzeez(m): 12:55pm On Jun 09, 2016
Medley:
It's no longer news that the government has stopped tertiary institutions from organizing P-UTME for students that wish to seek for admission in their institution. Inasmuch as there are a lots of merits to this decision which include and perhaps not limited to the fact that students' who want to seek admission will no longer spend on exhorbitant fees charged by this various institutions that ranges from 2500-10000(Nigerian Naira) and the hassles and stress of travelling to sometimes very far places to write their exams-which is another cost on it's own and the burdening task of applicants looking for how to be accommodated.

I think the cancellation was hurriedly made by the government and should have been announced before JAMB conducted this years UTME. This are my corroborating points:

1. The Government is Tongue Twisting on The decision to fully scrap P-UTME
The Public Relations officer of the Nigerian Universities Commission, Ibrahim Yakasai, as an addendum said the institutions can go along with screening of candidates who wish to be admitted but shouldn't conduct post-UTME. I then ask myself what other meaning is screening?! Do you expect the institution to use their resources to screen students while On the other hand JAMB which is set up by law have already done a screening of which student paid 5000-6000(to register), and what medium will this screening be done? are they going to wirte the answers on the board for the student and how many days will this take?. considering how the screening was done before the advent of P-UTME-some schools tell student to go to their various department applied for and in some instance they are asked 3-5 oral questions that may be logic, general knowledge or P-UTME Subject combinations. Will this be a fair or standard way to select the best? what if the question asked are the areas the applicant is not too good at but has excellent grade on other subject? are we doing experimental probability on the future of our youths. What the scrapping of p-UTME should be seen to be is that the cut-off mark of the departments will be announced and after the submission of the supporting document, the list of admitted candidates announced.

2.The Institutions are yet to announce their cut-off mark for each department and i'm sure(80% chance) that when they do, they will be protest by applicants. The institutions before now will allow for people with scores above 180 or 200 to right their post-UTME(though they do this to make money) but most times some of the people with the not-so-high come with lots of fight and even do far better than those that scored very high in JAMB and when the average of JAMB and P-UTME are added they get admission sometimes on merit(probably may be they were not well graded in the first place by JAMB or they were tested on the wrong subject combination-may be by programming error).

3. The Institutions Were not informed of the decision of the government to do away with P-UTME as seen in the case of Ekiti state University that announced their P-UTME and cancelled it after the announcement of the stoppage of conducting P-UTME by the government. what this imply is that there was a communication gap with the major stakeholders and this is not a good approach of making decisions on issues of national importance. I am not speaking in support of the institutions but they ought to have been informed and it shouldn't have been the other way round of them hearing it when the minister was being interviewed. Majority of the institutions have invested a large sum of their internally generated revenue in buying more computers and other installations so that student can write CBT based Exams(Which they most times do better than JAMB).

4. JAMB should ensure that they provide more exam centers so that student will not be faced with the hassles of traveling too far because center to write the UTME in their closest location is filled to capacity. also, JAMB should make sure student are well tested and graded which can make the result written against any name free from wrong score allocation or poor marking due to errors. if all this is put to place then the result of the student stand alone for the admission process. This years UTME Exams cannot be said to have met this specification, if next year(2016/2017) could be worked upon then we can reach the points were p-UTME Can be cancelled and everybody is happy.

5. The process of registering for p-UTME has made the announcement of admitted candidate by various institutions very fast. Most of the candidate know the school cut-off mark after writing their p-UTME and this has reduced corruption in that regards. The fact that applicants also fill bio-data form and upload their supporting has also made admission process faster.
written by me.

This is my opinion, what's yours?
This man called mallam Adamu is only seeking attention. he wants to be noticed and he has achieved that with no qualm.All those supporting this bizarre initiative may end being at the receiving end.This policy will not only amount to frustration among admission seekers but will also culminate to tension among parents.Now the question is,Is jamb going to send all the names of those that beat the stipulated 180 -200 cut off points to the respective institution? Just imagine a scenario where 20 thousands plus beat the 200 mark for schools like uniben,ui et all,How will they achieve the maximum of 5 thousands that an average institution can accommodate. The children of the rich will always have their way.come to think of it,Is jamb even credible enough?It actually exposed its flaws this year by adding 40 marks to some candidates'.My uncle actually got medicine the first time pume was introduced after 7 good attempts,which he had one of his lowest jamb scores. I don't know why some people think with their anus.

1 Like

Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by haryomikun(m): 1:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
True... It was hurried and can be counter productive... But still, we can't deny that it will go a long way in helping JAMB applicants gain admission even if it's not their choice university. Forget the frustration fallacy everyone is bringing up. Your number four doesnt hold water though. Exactly how does JAMB need to provide more exam centres. undecided Those who travel far distances do so because they choose to

After JAMB ‘jams’ you, what next?
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Medley(m): 8:43am On Jun 10, 2016
Drdonzeez:
This man called mallam Adamu is only seeking attention. he wants to be noticed and he has achieved that with no qualm.All those supporting this bizarre initiative may end being at the receiving end.This policy will not only amount to frustration among admission seekers but will also culminate to tension among parents.Now the question is,Is jamb going to send all the names of those that beat the stipulated 180 -200 cut off points to the respective institution? Just imagine a scenario where 20 thousands plus beat the 200 mark for schools like uniben,ui et all,How will they achieve the maximum of 5 thousands that an average institution can accommodate. The children of the rich will always have their way.come to think of it,Is jamb even credible enough?It actually exposed its flaws this year by adding 40 marks to some candidates'.My uncle actually got medicine the first time pume was introduced after 7 good attempts,which he had one of his lowest jamb scores. I don't know why some people think with their anus.
I think he was trying to be seen doing something to add to his achievement. This will surely bring back corruption in admission process!
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Medley(m): 9:24am On Jun 13, 2016
Can you imagaine River state University of science and technology just announced the registration for their post-UTME though this time subtly called 'screening test' and applicants asked pay 7,000 Naira. Thought it has been scrapped? Let's watch and see what the govt. Will do
Re: Cancellation Of P-UTME-A Hurriedly Made Decision Which Can Be Counterproductive. by Medley(m): 12:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
UNIPORT, Umidike and others have released their post UTME form and we have a governemnt that declared it's cancellation. They are still discussing on the modalities. What a joke!

(1) (Reply)

For Uniben, Delsu And Ekpoma Post-utme Aspirant. / Osun State Leads In Cowbellpedia Contest / CONFIRMED: Pharm. D degree Approved In Nigeria by NUC-PSN President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.