Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,069 members, 7,807,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech (29140 Views)

Video Of Abacha's Speech After Shonekan's Resignation Shared By Gumsu Abacha / The Last Outing Of Abacha With Yasir Arafat - In Picture / The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by harbdulrasaq88(m): 10:46am On Jun 08, 2016
Today marks the 18th year of the death of General Sani Abacha, former Nigerian military Head of State.

Abacha was born on September 20, 1943 and lived an eventful life until June 8, 1998 when he died in power.

The first administration of Muhammadu Buhari as Military Head of State was carefully planned and executed by General Sani Abacha who alongside other officers, overthrew the democratically elected government of Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983.

Upon the success of the coup, Sani Abacha announced the institution of a Federal Military Government in a nationwide broadcast, while explaining his reasons for toppling the government of the day.

Read a copy of the speech below.

PRESIDENT SHAGARI IS OVERTHROWN: SPEECH OF

BRIGADIER SANI ABACHA, DECEMBER 1, 1984 – RETURN OF

MILITARY RULE

Fellow countrymen and women, I, Brigadier Sani Abacha, of the Nigerian army address you this morning on behalf of the Nigerian armed forces.

You are all living witnesses to the great economic predicament and uncertainty, which an inept and corrupt leadership hasnimposed on our beloved nation for the past four years. I am referring to the harsh, intolerable conditions under which we are now living. Our economy has been hopelessly mismanaged. We have become a debtor and beggar nation. There is inadequacy of food at reasonable prices for our people who are now fed up with endless announcements of importation of foodstuffs. Health services are in shambles as our hospitals are reduced to mere consulting clinics without drugs, water and equipment. Our educational system is deteriorating at an alarming rate. Unemployment figures including the undergraduates have reached embarrassing and unacceptable proportions. In some states, workers are being owed salary arrears of eight to twelve months and in others there are threats of salary cuts.

Yet our leaders revel in squandermania, corruption and indiscipline, and continue to proliferate public appointments in complete disregard of our stark economic realities. After due consultations over these deplorable conditions, I and my colleagues in the armed forces have in the discharge of our national role as promoters and protectors of our national interest decided to effect a change in the leadership of the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and form a Federal Military Government. This task has just been completed.

The Federal Military Government hereby decrees the suspension of the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1979 relating to all elective and appointive offices and representative institutions including the office of the President, state governors, federal and state executive councils, special advisers, special assistants, the establishment of the National Assembly and the Houses of Assembly including the formation of political parties.

Accordingly, Alhaji Shehu Usman Shagari ceases forthwith to be the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria . All the incumbents of the above named offices shall, if they have not already done so, vacate their formal official residences, surrender all government property in their possession and report to the nearest police station in their constituencies within seven days.

The clerk of the National Assembly, the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, within two weeks, render account of all the properties of the National Assembly. All the political parties are banned; the bank account of FEDECO and all the political parties are frozen with immediate effect. All foreigners living in any part of the country are assured of their safety and will be adequately protected.

Henceforth, workers not on essential duties are advised to keep off the streets. All categories of workers on essential duties will, however, report at their places of work immediately. With effect from today, a dusk to dawn curfew will be imposed between 7pm and 6am each day until further notice. All airways flights have been suspended forthwith and all airports, seaports, and border posts closed. External communications have been cut. The Customs and Excise, Immigration and the Police will maintain vigilance and ensure watertight security at the borders. The area administrators or commanders will have themselves to blame if any of the wanted people escape.

Fellow countrymen and women, the change in government has been a bloodless and painstaking operation and we do not want anyone to lose his or her life. People are warned in their own interest to be law abiding and to give the Federal Military Government maximum cooperation. Anyone caught disturbing public order will be summarily dealt with. For avoidance of doubt, you are forewarned that we shall not hesitate to declare martial law in any area or state of the federation in which disturbances occur.

Fellow countrymen and women and comrades at arms, I will like to assure you that the Armed Forces of Nigeria is ready to lay its life for our dear nation but not for the present irresponsible leadership of the past civilian administration. You are to await further announcements, 1 NIGERIA!

http://www.newshelm.com/2016/06/full-text-abachas-coup-speech.html

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by mccoy47(m): 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
The Saint!

According to Mr Intergrity undecided

By the way FTC grin

Mehn this airtel is 6G shocked

15 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
His death was one of the best things to have happened to this country. It's just a pity that we have a little to show for it.

Even your returned loots were relooted and misappropriated under the supervision of someone who never had shoes.

What a pity!!!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by FREEDON: 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
First oo
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by MandateofGod(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Longevo(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
Mr. Abacha, we are still recovering your loots. Thanks

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Fineboi2(m): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2016
You guyz should free this man now he is long dead

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by EmmyUrch: 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2016
He was a useless man just like the general ruling us now...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2016
His death was one of the best things to have happened to this country. It's just a pity that we have a little to show for it.

Even your returned loots were relooted and misappropriated under the supervision of someone who never had shoes.

What a pity!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Challas(m): 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
You are all living witnesses to the great economic predicament and uncertainty, which an inept and corrupt leadership hasnimposed on our beloved nation for the past four years. I am referring to the harsh, intolerable conditions under which we are now living. Our economy has been hopelessly mismanaged. We have become a debtor and beggar nation. There is inadequacy of food at reasonable prices for our people who are now fed up with endless announcements of importation of foodstuffs. Health services are in shambles as our hospitals are reduced to mere consulting clinics without drugs, water and equipment. Our educational system is deteriorating at an alarming rate. Unemployment figures including the undergraduates have reached embarrassing and unacceptable proportions. In some states, workers are being owed salary arrears of eight to twelve months and in others there are threats of salary cuts.

Yet our leaders revel in squandermania, corruption and indiscipline, and continue to proliferate public appointments in complete disregard of our stark economic realities. After due consultations over these deplorable conditions, I and my colleagues in the armed forces have in the discharge of our national role as promoters and protectors of our national interest decided to effect a change in the leadership of the government of the. SAME STORY TILL TODAY...lol

12 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by mccoy47(m): 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
Fineboi2:
You guyz should free this man now he is long dead
Yes he is long dead but his deeds still affects us and our unborn children!

2 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by mygee2(m): 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
Abacha I only wonder if he is the only evil among the Nigerian elite or iz just the way these elites want us to paint him as evil....

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2016
You accuse erstwhile civilian government of corruption and after you topped their government you happened to become the most corrupt Nigerian head of state, beating Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Innobee99(m): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
One of the most terrible tyran of our time. But one thing is sure, nobody is above God.

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by glitteraty(f): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Qyubee(m): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
Legend.!
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by tropaz(m): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
when is buhari dying?

osibanjo my president!!!

2 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by apholaryn: 1:57pm On Jun 08, 2016
see mouth like pussy

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by CARLOSZ: 1:58pm On Jun 08, 2016
[size=18pt]I remember how my dad danced and kissed my mum the day it was announced that this cannibal is dead.

The radio was a Trident1409
That was the first time my dad kissed my mum before my young eyes.

And yet, Buhari is calling him a saint.

He should continue[/size]

20 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by AreaFada2: 1:59pm On Jun 08, 2016
And Buhari introduced this generation of political military thieves into government.

It cost us a lot of goodwill and we surrendered our leadership position in Africa.

Abacha's loot are still being recovered 18 years on.

5 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 2:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by kasheemawo(m): 2:04pm On Jun 08, 2016
the legend

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Ranchhoddas: 2:07pm On Jun 08, 2016
I am confused. Did Abacha overthrow Shagari?

3 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Jimbadly: 2:10pm On Jun 08, 2016
Good riddance. The man would have been a sit-tight head of state. God dispatched him to hell with alacrity.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Phonefanatic: 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Am I the only that hears the voice of Buhari reading this speech?

1 Like

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by EWAagoyin(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Jimbadly: 2:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I am confused. Did Abacha overthrow Shagari?

Yes, he executed the coup but allowed Buhari to ascend to power as the head of state with the understanding that he'll be allowed to rule years later.
Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by Afritop(m): 2:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
THE LAST NIGERIAN PRESIDENT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by ALLPISHON: 2:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
This guy was very mean. May His soul not rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha's 18th Year Of Death: Full Text Of Abacha’s Coup Speech by acorntree(m): 2:15pm On Jun 08, 2016
if one look critically at the content of this speech one should be able to see that, the same problems affecting Nigerian economy in 80s is still plaguing the giant of Africa in 20th century. why is everything getting worse from military to civilian government,from civilian to civilian?
Nigeria economy is crumbling daily, no hope for the citizen. I think this is beyond APC or PDP.

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mohammed Barkindo & Family Visit Buhari In London (Photos) / Kwankwaso: Why I’m So Proud Of Jonathan – Fani-kayode / Judge’s Absence Stalls Trial Of Kanu, Radio Biafra Director - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.