Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,910 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks (4336 Views)

Psychiatric Test To Be Conducted On Serving Policemen, Recruits – IGP / NAF Alpha Jets Conducted Four Airstrikes Against Boko Haram in 24hrs / Efcc To Introduce Lie Detector Tests On Corrupt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by laga(m): 10:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
PLS DIGEST THE STORY BELOW FROM VANGUARD BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[size=13pt]‘CBN never conducted special exams on banks’[/size]
Cover Stories, Headlines Aug 26, 2009 By Omoh Gabriel, Emeka Aginam, James Ezema & Tordue Salem

LAGOS—More insights into the motive for the removal of the Chief Executives of Union Bank, Intercontinental, Oceanic, Afribank and Finbank emerged, yesterday, as some top officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, opposed to the sack, provided evidence which points to the fact that no special examination of the banks was conducted either by the CBN or NDIC.

Also yesterday, some members of the House of Representatives who visited Vanguard raised query on CBN’s source of the N400 billion injected into the five banks.

This position was also corroborated by the  Managing Director of the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation, NDIC, Mr. Ganiyu Ogunleye when he appeared before the Usman Adamu_led Public Accounts Committee of the House of Representatives

No special examination as required by law

With  documentary evidence in Abuja, the CBN officials said that what was done in the banks between February and July 2009 was on AD-HOC assignment.

A CBN letter to the banks on the 18th of June said : RE Joint CBN/NDIC AD-HOC ASSIGNMENT
The letter reads in part “a team of CBN/NDIC bank examiners led by Mr X has been scheduled to carry out an Ad-Hoc Assignment in your bank. Please  provide them with the  necessary information that will enable them to promptly complete the assignment.”

The CBN officials said an ad-adoc assignment was different from a special examination. They disclosed that a special examination can only be conducted on a bank if there is a petition from within the bank to CBN, stating that there is a grave situation in the bank or that after CBN/NDIC examination, the report points to a deteriorating financial situation in the bank.

According to the officials, in that case, the CBN will write formally to the bank board, intimating it of its intention to do a special examination, detailing the areas and material facts to be provided. The  examiners will move in to carry out the assignment.

After the examination, the report is compiled and a copy sent to the bank for it to study. Thereafter the CBN will schedule a meeting with the bank board to discuss the findings of the report of the examination and out line possible solutions. If it is the erosion of capital, the board will be asked to raise capital and given time frame to do so. All of these were not carried out this time around, the CBN officials said

Besides, the banks affected complained that the figure on non-performing loans they were being asked to provide for changed with each examination which gave rise to suspicion that something was fishing.

A letter written by one ofthe banks to CBN Director, Banking Supervision titled request for report of CBN examination read: “We observed Sir, that CBN and NDIC examiners have visited our bank several times between the months of February and July this year.

However, we have not received any official report on any of these examinations. We equally noticed that the figures and details of non-performing accounts to be provided for, change with each different list given to us and also different from the various exit interviews held with our management. …we shall therefore be very grateful Sir if we can receive the full examination report with details of accounts deemed non-performing for our review and response in keeping with your normal practice.” The letter was not responded to, they said.

House of Reps query source of fund
Following the recent injection of  N400bn into five  Nigerian banks by CBN as a bail out  fund, some members of the House of Representatives, yesterday, said that  the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi  Lamido Sanusi would be made to explain the source of the  fund when the House reconvenes.

Speaking during a courtesy visit to Vanguard Newspapers in Lagos, the House stated that since they were on recess when the decision was taken, in line with due   process, the CBN governor ought not to have dolled the funds to the five banks including Oceanic Bank, Intercontinental Bank,  Fin Bank, Afribank, and Union Bank without  a recourse to the National Assembly.

“We have raised agencies that have the backing of the law to track people who do extra budgetary expenditure. When we see that the Federal government is not acting, then we act. We believe that he acted with every good intention, but it did not follow due process.

“ There from, there is communication between the various committees. I know that there from, every other thing will follow due process and those that have not followed the law would be made to comply with the law,” Chairman of Appropriations Committee, Hon. Ayo Adeseun said, adding that the CBN would be called to order and made to  explain where the bail  money came from.

“It is obvious to everybody, when you are talking about bail-out, we all saw even the voting process by virtue of improved communication, we saw the voting process on the floor of the various congresses.

“So, if one person appointed a governor who does not know the workings of government, that means the person be called to order for proper orientation on his job. And that is probably the first attempt at public life. Whereas he is pursuing good intentions but good intentions must be pursued through due process. And we are also handling a delicate times when the stock exchange has lost, in the last one week, over N600 billion in value.

“ We come from constituencies, we feel the pulse of the people. Where as you are safe-guarding the deposit of money, you also do not want them to lose out. Things must be done properly. It is wrong, it is totally wrong and the central Bank Governor must be called to order that he did not follow due process. We must call a spade a spade,” he further stated.

Similarly, Honourable Igo Agumah, representing Port Harcourt I Federal Constituency, Rivers State,  who also condemned the action of the CBN on bail-out fund, said that it was time due process was followed for a better polity.

“I’ll like to assure that this government is not running without a legislature. I think that the legislature is part of what makes this government a democracy and in addition to a few of the things that have been said, first on the bail-out money, I think that this House is going to insist that the CBN governor discloses where he got the money to give to the five banks. It is part of what we’ll do.

“I’ll like to inform that all these things had taken place while the House of Reps is on recess. And on the very first day at work, we’ll require the CBN to actually disclose the source of the money, where he got it from in order to do what they have done,” he said.

The delegation comprising chairmen of various House committees was led by House Committee Chairman on Media and Public Affairs, Hon. Esseme Eyiboh, representing the Speaker Hon. Dimeji Bankole,  Others were Hon. Ayo Adeseun (Appropriation), Hon. Bassey Otu (Petroleum), Hon. Sada Soli (Inter Parliamentary relations), Hon John Eno (Finance), Hon. Igo Agumah (Gas)

… NDIC disagrees
The Managing Director of the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation NDIC, Mr. Ganiyu Ogunleye, yesterday, faulted a N400 billion liquidity injection into the five banks whose former Managing Directors, boards of directors and Chairmen were sacked by the CBN for offering “non-performing” loans to the tune of N747billion to top businessmen in the country among other offences.

However, the NDIC gave kudos to CBN Governor for laying-off the erstwhile bank chiefs, stressing that the exercise, with the condition of the banks, was long overdue, even as the Corporation sought to be excluded from the list of agencies of government obliged by the Fiscal Responsibility Act to remit their surpluses to the Consolidated Revenue Fund.

After the sack of Mrs. Cecilia Ibru, Bartholomew Ebong, Sebastian Adigwe, Erastus Akingbola and Mr. Okey Nwosu, Former Managing Directors of Oceanic Bank, Union Bank, Afribank, Intercontinental Bank and Fin Bank, respectively, the apex bank quickly injected over N400billion into the banks while the sanitisation of the banking sector lasted.

Responding to the N400billion pumped into the defaulting financial institutions, while he appeared before the Usman Adamu-led Public Accounts Committee of the House of Representatives, Mr. Ogunleye said the NDIC was working with relevant institutions to discourage what he considered a traditional response to banks on the slide.

“This idea of liquidation till eternity is not helpful. But I can assure you sir (Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee) that we are in the process of drawing a line on that. We are in the process of doing that. We agree with you completely.

He recalled that the Expand Discount Window idea for ailing banks was first introduced by the Sani Abacha regime in the wake of an earlier banking reform for reasons that no longer obtained in the present financial sector.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/08/26/cbn-never-conducted-special-exams-on-banks/
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by danexd(m): 10:06am On Aug 27, 2009
, I know this will continue getting interesting, and laga, i hope u digested the article with open mind cos i know you and Oceanic goes way deep from your posts, lets watch and see how it all pays out, Nigeria, Everything is politics, no execptions
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 27, 2009
shocked and the saga continue shocked
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 10:39am On Aug 27, 2009
It's quite unfortunate that this issue was blown out of proportion and many of us that looked at this issue critically believed that what Malam Sanusi did was not bad but he (Malam) took a wrong approach and was just hasty in his decision.

The sector is very sensitive to the extent that is the only sector that makes few things that are working in the country presently made possible. A lot of questions have been asked which Sanusi failed to proffer solutions or rather unanswered. Such questions like:

1. Why not conclude the investigations of all 24 Banks before taken actions?
2. Why not asked the lender (banks) the modalities involved in given out the loan?
3. Where they Capital Project loan or Business loan?
4. Why not investigate the circumstances surrounded the borrower not to pay back?
5. Why not investigate the kind of business venture the borrowers undertake?
6. Why not Gives the CEOs opportunity to defend themselves before the axe?
7. During all these, why not asked all the bank to suspend lending pending the investigations will be concluded?
8. Once the CEOs are guilty, why not asked them to resign given say 20, 30, 40 minutes or an hour to resign?
9. Why declared borrower wanted knowing fully that lending or borrowing is not a crime?
10. Why Going to UK to stage rally to convinced them of your action while people back home were not convinced of your actions? And a lot of questions were raised without been answered.

However, its obvious that the chairperson of EFCC lack basic knowledge needed to be at helm of affairs of the EFCC. You cannot just asked to start running without asking them that where I am running to. She had suffered one defeat now. Those that were glaring that they embezzled public fund were nether arrested nor prosecuted. Where is the case of Ndidi Elumelu and co?

Let's wait and see the end of this and if it will not will not disappear into the air in next couple of months. I also believe that some of these CEOs and their EDs will be reinstated.

Let's be following the drama.
God Bless
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by markemmi(m): 10:49am On Aug 27, 2009
wow what a country. Why do we ahve to go back and forth. I know that this was not done with clear conscience of sanitizing, people just want people humilated
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by tunde300us(m): 11:01am On Aug 27, 2009
Sanusi will get his hands burnt this time,cos the court might re-instate this CEO's .I sense politics in all this things.Target 2011 !
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 11:03am On Aug 27, 2009
this is jus absolutely dumb angry,,,what's all this talk bout the special tests and adhoc tests,either way, they failed one test and will, both, even if both were conducted. And even if the conduct of the tests suggested somtin was fishing, is givin out public cash to friends and cronies without intentions to pay back, not good enuff reason? Frackin dead and drowned retards grabbing at straws angry angry angry
, and those goats in agbadas,they can neva hav an honest intention,i bet all that question bout where the 400Billion came from, is jus to kno where to look next when they think of looting. Probably it was a rude shock for them realising that kinda moni is somwia n they've not even caught a scent of it.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by tunde300us(m): 11:15am On Aug 27, 2009
There are so many legal dimensions that will make sanusi,efcc and the govt as a whole look like bully by the time it is established.If i borrow money, and i am defaulting in paying,arent there ways of recovery apart from asking to give me 7days to pay back,cos when this loans were given out i am so sure there were terms agreed by both parties.
Even if the president himself gives me a deadline to pay,i have an obligation not to pay cos i never agreed anything with him,so this executive powers wey dem dey use for nija to resolve legal issues wont last long at all.And worse off by the time the court start giving judgement even sanusi himself will look like a fool, Nigeria SEASON (1)
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by Spyker: 11:22am On Aug 27, 2009
I have been reading several opinions concerning this issue but to say that there is nothing fishy in the action(s) of the CBN (Sanusi) is to say that "this is not Nigeria".

It is only in Nigeria that "a man NEVER CONTESTED and election, yet becomes a Governor of a State.
it is only in Nigeria that investigations are done in part (why not investigate the 24 banks) and action taken.
It is only in Nigeria that borrowing money becomes a FINANCIAL CRIME otherwise why not the EFCC seize the collateral used in securing those loans.

What ever the case may be, this CBN issue is a way of making people forget about the BOKOM HARAM genocide (that is almost dead) and also a fall out of the Clinton hammer on the YARA"DULL" government.

NAIJA, Na wa oh. God help us
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2009
ibgreat:

It's quite unfortunate that this issue was blown out of proportion and many of us that looked at this issue critically believed that what Malam Sanusi did was not bad but he (Malam) took a wrong approach and was just hasty in his decision.

The sector is very sensitive to the extent that is the only sector that makes few things that are working in the country presently made possible. A lot of questions have been asked which Sanusi failed to proffer solutions or rather unanswered. Such questions like:

1. Why not conclude the investigations of all 24 Banks before taken actions?----when u treat an epidemic,do you wait to diagnose the whole public b4 treating the first few you have diagnosed?
2. Why not asked the lender (banks) the modalities involved in given out the loan?-----irrespective of modalities,non-performing implies that the repayment is due and is not forthcoming
3. Where they Capital Project loan or Business loan?-------this absolutely has nothing to do with an agreed repayment time frame,this issues are treated b4,mode of repayment is agreed
4. Why not investigate the circumstances surrounded the borrower not to pay back?-----Not being able to pay back is the borrowers problem,if its caused by internal mismanagement,the borrower should investigate
5. Why not investigate the kind of business venture the borrowers undertake?------[b]that should have been done by the lender.failure to do that constitutes a breach of LAID DOWN procedures on the lenders part[/b]
6. Why not Gives the CEOs opportunity to defend themselves before the axe?------they have proven that they are incapable of effectively running the banks,Obviously those kinda loans can't be approved without their consent
7. During all these, why not asked all the bank to suspend lending pending the investigations will be concluded?------that would be throwing the baby out with the bath water
8. Once the CEOs are guilty, why not asked them to resign given say 20, 30, 40 minutes or an hour to resign?----refer to number (6)
9. Why declared borrower wanted knowing fully that lending or borrowing is not a crime?------borrowing without intention to pay back or not paying back at the agreed time, constitutes a breach of contract,and that's a crime!
10. Why Going to UK to stage rally to convinced them of your action while people back home were not convinced of your actions? And a lot of questions were raised without been answered.------because irrespective of domestic variables, our image internationally is a constant that needs to managed effectively,US does that effectively

However, its obvious that the chairperson of EFCC lack basic knowledge needed to be at helm of affairs of the EFCC. You cannot just asked to start running without asking them that where I am running to. She had suffered one defeat now. Those that were glaring that they embezzled public fund were nether arrested nor prosecuted. Where is the case of Ndidi Elumelu and co?

Let's wait and see the end of this and if it will not will not disappear into the air in next couple of months. I also believe that some of these CEOs and their EDs will be reinstated.

Let's be following the drama.
God Bless
AND FOR THE RECORDS ,,,,YOUR QUESTIONS WERE JUS PLAIN DUMB LAME grin grin grin grin
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by daffidy: 11:45am On Aug 27, 2009
@awizil
Question for you
Intercontinental bank is synonymous with akingbola, Oceanic with Ibru etc . These people brought these banks from virtual obscurity and made them household names , if it were you would you let your pet project die after so many years.
The seeming truth is that we have some people looking and fishing for some ripe juicy business to take over not all of them can be a Dangote who got his break during military era!!!!!!!!!!!

They are like pests that feed on carefully cultivated crops that have been watered and nurtured over time and just when it is about to be harvested. SPOOF!!! it is all consumed by the swarm of locusts.

And in the famous words of MC Hammer <WE NEED TO PRAY TO MAKE IT TODAY>

GOD HELP US. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by sammoR: 11:48am On Aug 27, 2009
If all the CEOs had their hands clean, special examination/adhoc assignment or not and whether due process was followed or not , the CBN would have nothing to find. These people are apparently guilty. The time has come in Nigeria when people have to answer for whatever they do. The banking sector is no exception. It's not only past governors and police chieves, that should be prosecuted for crimes relating to misappropriation of funds whether it's tax payers money or shareholders money. Let us not continue to be sentimental. If the people in a society will not purge the society of evil then a time will come when the society will have to purge itself and we'd be looking at something like the french revolution which we do not desire. The purge has begun and will continue, eventually reaching even to the office of the president. Politics will be played, infact a lot but then until we attain a sane society where no one just wakes up and commits a crime because he/she will get away with it, this must continue. Nigerians all over the world should come together and fight corruption, rally round people like Sanusi and the EFCC,  fight for what is sane and right within our institutions both private and public. 50 years of Independence and nothing to show because of issues such as this. The purge has just begun. The EFCC will be used politically, that is inevitable. The CIA and FBI are also used politically nooow. I am not advocating the wrong use of organs of government like the EFCC but a spade should be called a spade. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. Kudos to Sanusi joo. To even have the guts to start something like that seeing the amount of fire he will come under. It just had to be done.  angry angry
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by tunde300us(m): 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2009
I think we should be very careful here,no one has tried this men and found them guilty.Except for the words of sanusi and the federal govt of Nigeria who is not to be trusted anyway.
Like i said only time will tell if his actions will last.We are still in season (1) of this series so please stay tuned grin
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 12:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
You are not sincere and objective in your submissions.

1. I was surprised that you are relating this issue with epidemic. Ok as a doctor you, a patient was transferred to your hospital with a complaint that he suffering from malarial and you started giving him anti malarial drugs. However, as professional doctor, don’t you think it will be wise and necessary for you to conduct a thorough diagnosis to know if his not suffering only from malarial.

2. What about the case of Notore Chemical which was classified as non-performing loan. And agreement was to be paid back within 6years.

3. Why CBN is asking other banks to separate their project finance loans from Business loans? For your info, project finance loans are classify as bad loan which could be write off or recover.

4. In the case of Ramson Engineering Company (NIPP project). FG is still the owing the company and it has asked FG to pay them while they pay back their lenders too

5. What about a long term loan?

6. Cannot be without their consent. Agreed, But considered 2,4,and 5

7. If you know this, why not complete the investigation?

8. Referred to 6

9. Referred to 6 also

10. While majority back home are criticizing his actions

Note also that in any democratic and civilized nation all what I mentioned, due process and respect to the law of the land have to be critically analyzed and looked into before taken decision on a sensitive matter like this. Nigeria is not yet a civilized nation.

Apparently you are one sided in your judgments and your arguments are baseless

We shall see the end of it embarassed
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 12:19pm On Aug 27, 2009
@awizl

1. I was surprised that you are relating this issue with epidemic. OK as a doctor you have a patient that was transferred to your hospital with a complaint that his suffering from malarial and you started giving him anti malarial drugs. However, as professional doctor, don’t you think it will be wise and necessary for you to conduct a thorough diagnosis to know if his not suffering only from malarial? Your example is not cocorrelatedith the topic.

2. What about the case of Notore Chemical which was classified as non-performing loan. And agreement was to be paid back within 6years.

3. Why CBN now asking other banks to separate their project finance loans from Business loans? For your info, project finance loans are classify as bad loan which could be write off or recover. Or you are not reading newspapers daily.

4. In the case of Ramson Engineering Company (NIPP project). FG is still owing the company and it has asked FG to pay back while they pay their lenders too.

7. If you know this, why not complete the ininvestigation|_
8. Referred to 6

9. Referred to 6 also

Note also that in any democratic and civilized nation all what I mentioned, due process and respect to the law of the land have to be critically analyzed and looked into before taken decision on a sensitive matter like this. Nigeria is not yet a civilized nation.

Apparently you are one sided in your judgments and your arguments are baseless. embarassed

We shall see the end of it
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 12:31pm On Aug 27, 2009
@awizl, please read

NOTORE Company on Wednesday regularised its accounts with the new management of Oceanic Bank Plc, saying its project finance loan from the bank was for the rehabilitation of Notore's urea fertiliser plant from which revenues were not expected to be generated until the commencement of production.

Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the company, Jite Okoloko, who made the clarification to newsmen in Port Harcourt, said: "The loan Notore received in February 2007 was a project finance facility of $222 million from a syndicate of eight Nigerian financial institutions, including Oceanic Bank.

"And after a rigorous reconciliation exercise between Oceanic Bank's new management and Notore's management, Notore's account with the bank has now been regularised and brought up to date."

Okoloko, who argued that the loan was for the rehabilitation of Notore's urea fertiliser plant from which revenues were not expected to be generated until the commencement of production, claimed that there was a stipulated period for payback of the loan.

"The project finance loan is payable over a six- year period with an 18-month moratorium. The rehabilitation project was planned to last for a period of 14 months," he said.

The Notore boss, who claimed the escalated security situation in the Niger Delta, was not anticipated at the time of project planning added: "Our staff and vendor service men (VSM) could not enter the region until their safety was assured because to us, safe working environment is significant to the company.

"The gas supply disruptions due to militant activities on pipelines led to the shortage of gas, the primary raw material for Notore's production, which contributed to the delay in refurbishment and commencement of commercial activities."

Noting that the unforeseen challenges have largely abated and the plant successfully commenced urea production in July 2009, Okoloko said: "Notore's urea fertiliser plant is the only urea production facility in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, and once production is stabilised, the company will generate over N3 billion monthly in revenues from urea sales, which will enable it meet all its obligations".

@awizl, What you can you say to this? Whose fault? Is the FG that failed to meet up or rendered their constitutional responsibility to protect the lives of citizens and properties or the Company? Please do answer these questions from your sincerity mind. A company that employed hundred of Nigerians
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
ibgreat:

@awizl

1. I was surprised that you are relating this issue with epidemic. OK as a doctor you have a patient that was transferred to your hospital with a complaint that his suffering from malarial and you started giving him anti malarial drugs. However, as professional doctor, don’t you think it will be wise and necessary for you to conduct a thorough diagnosis to know if his not suffering only from malarial? Your example is not cocorrelatedith the topic.

3. Why CBN now asking other banks to separate their project finance loans from Business loans? For your info, project finance loans are classify as bad loan which could be write off or recover. Or you are not reading newspapers daily.

4. In the case of Ramson Engineering Company (NIPP project). FG is still owing the company and it has asked FG to pay back while they pay their lenders too.

7. If you know this, why not complete the ininvestigation|_
8. Referred to 6

9. Referred to 6 also

Apparently you are one sided in your judgments and your arguments are baseless. embarassed

We shall see the end of it

-----------hiss---------go back to school! angry
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
@awizl

I always like to engage in a constructive argument and this is a forum for us to learn many things.

Do not forget that these are just opinions and we do not need to be attacking ourselves

God Bless us
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by naijaking1: 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2009
If the CBN never conducted these special tests when the governor said the result of the tests were the reasons for sacking the CEOs, maybe Sanusi himself should be the one talking to the police.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 1:33pm On Aug 27, 2009
What can we say to this? Rejoinder despite claiming thorough investigation was conducted

Culled from Tribune Newspapers

Notore Regularises Accounts With Oceanic Bank
*Iseghohi Refutes Banks' Indebtedness

By Sylvester Enoghase and Philip Oladunjoye

NOTORE Company on Wednesday regularised its accounts with the new management of Oceanic Bank Plc, saying its project finance loan from the bank was for the rehabilitation of Notore's urea fertiliser plant from which revenues were not expected to be generated until the commencement of production.

Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the company, Jite Okoloko, who made the clarification to newsmen in Port Harcourt, said: "The loan Notore received in February 2007 was a project finance facility of $222 million from a syndicate of eight Nigerian financial institutions, including Oceanic Bank.

"And after a rigorous reconciliation exercise between Oceanic Bank's new management and Notore's management, Notore's account with the bank has now been regularised and brought up to date."

Okoloko, who argued that the loan was for the rehabilitation of Notore's urea fertiliser plant from which revenues were not expected to be generated until the commencement of production, claimed that there was a stipulated period for payback of the loan.

"The project finance loan is payable over a six- year period with an 18-month moratorium. The rehabilitation project was planned to last for a period of 14 months," he said.

The Notore boss, who claimed the escalated security situation in the Niger Delta, was not anticipated at the time of project planning added: "Our staff and vendor service men (VSM) could not enter the region until their safety was assured because to us, safe working environment is significant to the company.

"The gas supply disruptions due to militant activities on pipelines led to the shortage of gas, the primary raw material for Notore's production, which contributed to the delay in refurbishment and commencement of commercial activities."

Noting that the unforeseen challenges have largely abated and the plant successfully commenced urea production in July 2009, Okoloko said: "Notore's urea fertiliser plant is the only urea production facility in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, and once production is stabilised, the company will generate over N3 billion monthly in revenues from urea sales, which will enable it meet all its obligations".

In another development, the embattled former Group Managing Director, Transnational Corporation of Nigeria, (Transcorp), Tom Iseghohi, has refuted his indebtedness to Intercontinental Bank Plc or any other Nigerian bank.

In a letter to the Governor of Central Bank, Iseghohi had through his lawyer, Barrister V.J.O. Azinge, disclosed that the loan of N6.5 billion allegedly credited to him was taken by Transcorp in 2006 and had been fully utilised for its purpose even before he joined the service of the company in 2007.

"Our client was not the Group Managing Director of Transcorp when the loan was taken from the bank, and from all records, the proceeds of the said loan were fully utilised before our client was appointed as Group Managing Director of Transcorp, and it is therefore erroneous for CBN to name him as one of the defaulters," the lawyer stated in the letter.

The letter requested that Iseghohi be immediately delisted from the CBN list of defaulter of Intercontinental Bank Plc and any other bank debtors list with regards to Transnational Corporation (Transcorp) Plc in the spirit of fairness, justice and the rule of law, noting that the action by the CBN would rather be unfair to Iseghohi, who never participated in the loan negotiation or its disbursement.

He said if the ultimatum issued by the apex bank to take legal action against defaulters were extended to his client, it would further malign his image.

"Right now, Iseghohi is not the operational GMD and therefore has no legal standing to take any action on behalf of the company," Azinge said.

He noted that Iseghohi was GMD Transcorp Plc from 2007 to 2009, before which he had put in more than 18 years of corporate business experience.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 1:35pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ibgreat
1. Why not conclude the investigations of all 24 Banks before taken actions?----when u treat an epidemic,do you wait to diagnose the whole public b4 treating the first few you have diagnosed?---- I was surprised that you are relating this issue with epidemic. OK as a doctor you have a patient that was transferred to your hospital with a complaint that his suffering from malarial  and you started giving him anti malarial drugs. However, as professional doctor, don’t you think it will be wise and necessary for you to conduct a thorough diagnosis to know if his not suffering only from malarial? Your example is not cocorrelatedith the topic.

sad sad sad sad sad sadcan u match your argument to the question and my response?  where does the transfer patient thing come in? and where did the diagnosing thing come in too? ,, relative to the question pls.Where is your constructive argument?
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by otukpo(f): 1:37pm On Aug 27, 2009
:-x
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by puskin: 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2009
I hope Sanusi is not biting more than he can chew
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by megawax8: 1:47pm On Aug 27, 2009
I have always known that there was something suspicious about this removals of bank CEO's.Due process has to be followed before doing things.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by ibgreat(m): 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2009
@awizl

It’s ok and I can see how hell-bent you are.

God Bless us
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by tinucome: 2:10pm On Aug 27, 2009
cry grin wink
we soon know where they are taking us to. government and sanusi have denied any agender, but very soon, it will come to light for all to see.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2009
wrongs were perpetrated,n are in the process of being corrected n u ppl are introducing sentiments into it.
Has any of the accused come out to say he/she hasn't breached laid down rules in giving out money?
Warped minds ! focus on the big picture and stop grabbing at straws !
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by cooldud62: 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2009
well, while i applaud Sanusi's action, i think something might indeed be fishy!
Like ibgreat rightly said, why was he in a hurry? why didnt he wait till all banks were examined/tested before the deed?
The loans that are been repaid i want to believe are only non performing loans, else the borrower shouldn't be bothered cos there was an agreement.
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by gReenmAn(m): 2:43pm On Aug 27, 2009
Is anyone surprised? undecided
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by OYBMEND: 2:46pm On Aug 27, 2009
what is going on in Nigeria is what Barrack Obama calls

"[size=18pt]Made up controversy[/size]"

The end result is premediated as Sunusi will simply sell the 5 banks to his cronies

its just shameful that we are ready to destroy this country just to determine who is up and who is down
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by tunde300us(m): 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
@awizl, cant u just say ur mind without getting abusive ? U have a different opinion nd so every1 shld just agree cos ure an harvard phD english graduate.
Pls let moderation be it man,u need some kinda control
Re: CBN Never Conducted Any Special Tests On Banks by awizl(m): 3:25pm On Aug 27, 2009
tunde300us:

I think we should be very careful here,no one has tried this men and found them guilty.Except for the words of sanusi and the federal govt of Nigeria who is not to be trusted anyway.
Like i said only time will tell if his actions will last.We are still in season (1) of this series so please stay tuned grin

Have you asked yourself, why all this ppl are running?------applying basic morals nw

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prof.Tam David-west Criticises Jonathan For Kneeling Before Pastor Adeboye / We Are Blessed With Oil And a Hard working Governor In Delta / Breaking News: Mend Claims Responsibility For The Attacked That Killed 4 Nigerian Marine Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.