Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,025 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:38 AM

DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker (1327 Views)

Job Seeker Turns Entrepreneur... If You Wait!!! You Waste / Diary Of A Jobless But Not Hopeless Job Seeker / What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by UfuomaUN(m): 11:22pm On Jun 08, 2016
The idea of unemployment and idleness never quite dawned on me until one month after my NYSC. I left my PPA a big boy; a healthy account from my numerous saving schemes during my service year and the extra one month allowance paid to all Corpers just before passing out. With my small savings I matched out like proud Roman centurion, paid visits to my numerous girlfriends I hadn't seen in a while and booked appointments at the tailors to boast my new statuesque as full graduate.

It wasn't long before I realised I was heading towards an economic quagmire. My expenses were on the rise and I hadn't found a new source of income yet. I began to panic.

Before this time, I set a target of three job applications a week. Now I had to raise the bar to 10 minimum. I applied for virtually everything I came across: engineering, marketer, sales rep, ICT, office secretary and even managerial vacancies. I thought with my impressive academic result, charming cover letters I would win even the heart of Aphrodite.

Two months later, the only interview I had managed get invited to was a graduate engineer training scheme in Ikeja. WTF! After all the data and time I spent Job hunting only one interview to show? I felt like a mess.

I began to meet uncles and Aunties who had promised me instant jobs on graduation. Anyone familiar with uncles and aunties promises would be familiar with the line, 'just graduate with a 2.1 and I'll fix you somewhere '. Lies from the pit of hell. I remember a line from a TV Africa drama series I used to watch as a kid, "never believe anyone, not even your father."

As the days wore on, the situation began to have a sort of psychological effect on me. I began to think I heard whispers each time I strolled in the neighborhood.

"See as e jus sit don 4 house dey chop mummy tank u. E no go go find work. Na to dey press phone dey form swag"

I didn't know what to make of this taunts. Don't this people realise that this "wind of change" is really having an adverse effect on the economy. Didn't they know? If only they realised how hard I've worked in search of a job in the last few months. If only they knew....

It didn't get any easier with my colleagues either. I once complained to a friend I met during my NYSC who is still serving about how frustrating the job search had been. She said, "why don't u apply for jobs in Europe, middle East etc. Why limit your scope here?" Mbok, if I had the money to travel and lodge in the middle East in search  of a job, I'd instead channel it into a worthy business here.

Finally, I made up my mind to find a teaching job in any local secondary school in my neighborhood. At first, my search looked promising. I was well received in everyplace I went to with the promise that I would be contacted within the week. Well, true to their promises I was contacted by two of them who called to ask if I would be available for the new school session in September.

September? At the rate my saving is depleting, I'd hard done even before the end of August.

Finally, I received a call from one of the schools I had earlier applied to. They were requesting for an interview that morning. I literally jumped out of bed with a sprang that could have shocked even a leopard. I hurried down to the venue dressed like an Oxford professor about to decipher the last of Fermat's century old mathematical puzzles.

The interview was successful and the principal promised to reach me the following day pending an approval by his boss the school proprietor. The following day became three days, and three days ran into a week.  Was I cursed? I wondered who I had offended unwittingly.

Now as I type this on my ragged bed, alone save for the company of Achilles my pet cat, I wonder if my 5 years in school would have been in fact better spent elsewhere in a more promising pursuit.

It turns out university education in Nigeria is in fact not the answer to a better life.

Phomer
http://lonelysingle23..com.ng/2016/06/dairy-of-broken-job-seeker.html?m=1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by Donald3d(m): 11:26pm On Jun 08, 2016
all is well

1 Like

Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by truthalways(m): 11:36pm On Jun 08, 2016
I am currently in the same shoes as you.

I promised to only rant on nairaland after securing a job.

I think you should consider becoming a writer or a comedian because you are quite funny.
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by emmanuelbrown26: 1:14am On Jun 09, 2016
mehnn welcome to naija where life is survival of the fittest, i hv been searching and searching all to no avail. I need loan of 100k to start a very lucrative business no way to find
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by ifymagik(m): 2:21am On Jun 09, 2016
One Day All our Troubles would be Over
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by UEDIBO: 6:12am On Jun 09, 2016
emmanuelbrown26:
mehnn welcome to naija where life is survival of the fittest, i hv been searching and searching all to no avail. I need loan of 100k to start a very lucrative business no way to find
lucrative with hundred?
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 09, 2016
my guy, I'm in the same shoe as you. finished serving oct 2015 and hurried back home to start applying for jobs but bro, there is ds deafening silence that greets my every application. i don edit cv tire, now i'm like a cv expert. i included my impressive CGPA of 4.07 but who GP don help undecided
would have loved to start a small business for myself but where will i get capital? i dare not ask my parents not coz dey will kill me if i do but coz dey dont have. it's a miracle dat they managed to pay for my uni education, cant wait to repay d favour.
i base my job hunt in kaduna and abuja but these places are dry. i think lagos has more prospects.
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by emmanuelbrown26: 9:27am On Jun 09, 2016
UEDIBO:
lucrative with hundred?
Yes boss, i can vividly break it down here or whatsapp, its a business i hv taken the feasibility study, if God should provide me wit help of dat amount, i will even create job for people. I swear to God and its NOT AN ONLINE BIZ
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by adebayal(m): 11:07am On Jun 09, 2016
Plz Am intrested in this biz of urs what's the way forward
emmanuelbrown26:

Yes boss, i can vividly break it down here or whatsapp, its a business i hv taken the feasibility study, if God should provide me wit help of dat amount, i will even create job for people. I swear to God and its NOT AN ONLINE BIZ
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by UEDIBO: 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2016
emmanuelbrown26:

lets meet here 07064636966 with whatapp
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by Loonyy(m): 6:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Choi! Thought I was alone on this charade ooooooooo? Well soon God will turn the Tide Amen
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by TourismMan(m): 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2018
UfuomaUN:
The idea of unemployment and idleness never quite dawned on me until one month after my NYSC. I left my PPA a big boy; a healthy account from my numerous saving schemes during my service year and the extra one month allowance paid to all Corpers just before passing out. With my small savings I matched out like proud Roman centurion, paid visits to my numerous girlfriends I hadn't seen in a while and booked appointments at the tailors to boast my new statuesque as full graduate.

It wasn't long before I realised I was heading towards an economic quagmire. My expenses were on the rise and I hadn't found a new source of income yet. I began to panic.

Before this time, I set a target of three job applications a week. Now I had to raise the bar to 10 minimum. I applied for virtually everything I came across: engineering, marketer, sales rep, ICT, office secretary and even managerial vacancies. I thought with my impressive academic result, charming cover letters I would win even the heart of Aphrodite.

Two months later, the only interview I had managed get invited to was a graduate engineer training scheme in Ikeja. WTF! After all the data and time I spent Job hunting only one interview to show? I felt like a mess.

I began to meet uncles and Aunties who had promised me instant jobs on graduation. Anyone familiar with uncles and aunties promises would be familiar with the line, 'just graduate with a 2.1 and I'll fix you somewhere '. Lies from the pit of hell. I remember a line from a TV Africa drama series I used to watch as a kid, "never believe anyone, not even your father."

As the days wore on, the situation began to have a sort of psychological effect on me. I began to think I heard whispers each time I strolled in the neighborhood.

"See as e jus sit don 4 house dey chop mummy tank u. E no go go find work. Na to dey press phone dey form swag"

I didn't know what to make of this taunts. Don't this people realise that this "wind of change" is really having an adverse effect on the economy. Didn't they know? If only they realised how hard I've worked in search of a job in the last few months. If only they knew....

It didn't get any easier with my colleagues either. I once complained to a friend I met during my NYSC who is still serving about how frustrating the job search had been. She said, "why don't u apply for jobs in Europe, middle East etc. Why limit your scope here?" Mbok, if I had the money to travel and lodge in the middle East in search  of a job, I'd instead channel it into a worthy business here.

Finally, I made up my mind to find a teaching job in any local secondary school in my neighborhood. At first, my search looked promising. I was well received in everyplace I went to with the promise that I would be contacted within the week. Well, true to their promises I was contacted by two of them who called to ask if I would be available for the new school session in September.

September? At the rate my saving is depleting, I'd hard done even before the end of August.

Finally, I received a call from one of the schools I had earlier applied to. They were requesting for an interview that morning. I literally jumped out of bed with a sprang that could have shocked even a leopard. I hurried down to the venue dressed like an Oxford professor about to decipher the last of Fermat's century old mathematical puzzles.

The interview was successful and the principal promised to reach me the following day pending an approval by his boss the school proprietor. The following day became three days, and three days ran into a week.  Was I cursed? I wondered who I had offended unwittingly.

Now as I type this on my ragged bed, alone save for the company of Achilles my pet cat, I wonder if my 5 years in school would have been in fact better spent elsewhere in a more promising pursuit.

It turns out university education in Nigeria is in fact not the answer to a better life.

Phomer
http://lonelysingle23..com.ng/2016/06/dairy-of-broken-job-seeker.html?m=1

Those lines/words are super cool and funny as used in the write up.
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by TourismMan(m): 1:03pm On Feb 16, 2018
ifymagik:
One Day All our Troubles would be Over

That one day is probably the day you will die because troubles end in life only when one gives up the ghost.

1 Like

Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by ajoyeleke(m): 1:39pm On Feb 16, 2018
emmanuelbrown26:

Bro pls wat business do u av in mind
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by UfuomaUN(m): 6:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
TourismMan:

Those lines/words are super cool and funny as used in the write up.
Thanks man!
Re: DAIRY Of A Broken Job Seeker by temb: 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2018
okay this post is more than 2 years.. any luck with the job hunt yet at op

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apprenticeship Opportunity Program On: Construction, Plant & Heavy Equipment / Tokunbo Orimobi Lp Pre-interview Chat / Lagos State Graduate Internship Interview Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.