Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? (39673 Views)

Is This America Or A 3rd World Country / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Malakh: 9:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
Good advice,you came a year after me,you know what's up
abike12:
@ OP, I see that you studied industrial chemistry, I hope your MSc is in Chemical Engineering, if not abeg change it to that when you get here. Since you are in STEM, I strongly advise you to come here. The health insurance works through your student account so you can still owe it till the end of the semester. You will use your stipend to pay it small small. When you get here, share room or squat with people. Eat ramen noodles or pack noodles plenty from naija. Go to where they sell second hand clothes in naija and buy clothes for winter as well, I will never forget my mum and I did this about 13 years ago because there was no extra 1 dollar for shopping. Also pack antibiotics, malaria and typhoid medicine on your way because sickness dey cost for here.

I know you won't like to be told what to study but remember the opportunity cost of you leaving naija for 2 years to come and do adult education here. If you go and study one kain major and you don't see who to file H1B for you after graduation, then you will either end up in naija back in square 1 (your mates would have moved on), work at african store or have to marry someone that will make you miserable on top papers. It's not worth it. Based on your background just do ChemE and tell your parents to be praying for you. You will see a good job by God's Grace and all this will be worth it.

Definitely pack your kaya and start coming here. Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Adesolomon2014(m): 9:46pm On Jun 09, 2016
Dont eva alter that dream of yours cus i know if it weren't for God, you won't get near the scholarship....God that did the 1st stage will surely finish to the last stage...hope for the best nd pray.God be with you bro.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Flashh: 9:48pm On Jun 09, 2016
Trini45:
oga please tell him the truth! achieve anywhere ke? With the way nigeria is going......as for the OP, you might end up using your BSC to open a kiosk!...RUN MY BROTHER!!! RUN O!!!
I know the situation in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. But that doesn't mean one can't achieve his/her goals in life.

Those who aren't opportuned to travel abroad can't commit suicide and say it's the end of it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by swaggprofessor(m): 9:55pm On Jun 09, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
Hmmm nairalanders should i apply for buhari meager 23,000 graduate teacher's job or i keep my Bachelor Of Engineering Degree at home? If i think of the money i will earn & how i suffered to get that degree, i can't control tears rolling down my eyes. Honest response please!
guy staying at home kills your thoughts. I hv a Bsc with an upper credit but I am currently teaching and for just 18k per month. it's an added advantage to your CV don't let the pride get into your head just get sumtin doing.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Seeeeeeee: 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
swaggprofessor:
guy staying at home kills your thoughts. I hv a Bsc with an upper credit but I am currently teaching and for just 18k per month. it's an added advantage to your CV don't let the pride get into your head just get sumtin doing.
But i think you have HND?
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by swaggprofessor(m): 10:00pm On Jun 09, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
But i think you have HND?
cos that all u could achieve.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by InvertedHammer: 10:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I need your advice and help on what to do because I am totally confused.
I am 23, holds a Bsc from a Nigerian university.
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
I can huzzle and get my flight fee because I still have 2 months to resumption.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
School resumes August 14, what should I do?
Tried taking up loan from the bank but didn't work out.
I am confused at the moment.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Or should I just forget about my America dream
I have exhausted all my options, God help me.
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

I am at a crucial point in my life.
Thanks
/
How are you going to spend $2000 in your first month.
You need:
1. Bus pass to get around ($70/month)
2. Food is cheap and readily available
3. 99 cents stores are there for your daily needs.
4. No health insurance. If you get sick, walk to the ER of any community hospital or any hospital....they must treat you.

So what will be taking your $2k the first month?
Do you have accommodation?
\
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Cchuks27(m): 10:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
Bro, please go. Don't even think of staying here when you have such opportunity. It won't be easy but you'll definitely pull through.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Obiwannn: 10:06pm On Jun 09, 2016
sleek82:
My friend i see only one option here and just one....which is to take your chances, since staying back wont guaranty anything either why not just give going to the states a try... I understand all you said about hustling but you still need to give it a try....lemme share my experience with you, maybe that would motivate you a lil
When i got my PR visa in December 2014...i had all i needed to travel since my brother were willing to support me but i had to think deeply if to get married and file for my wife or just travel and then come back after i have really settled down in Canada( this could take between 1 to 2 years or more) because i can only cater for myself alone....after much thoughts, i decided to face life head-on...i got married (registry) and in 3months got my wife's visa too....usually a single PR( permanent resident) applicant should travel with 11k canadian dollars and two would be about 15k dollars but all i had was just 5k US dollars for the two of us and the money for ticket is still there ooo....just one day i told myself i am leaving naija....i dont care whatever happens at the border( becos not having enough for the two of us is enough reason to send us back to naija) i bought our tickets (looked for the cheapest "maroc airline"wink and came through one of the tightest security airports in canada (Montreal) but i made sure i got loans from people to put in my naija account and had my ATM card with me just incase they ask at the airport for the remaining money.....i declared the correct amount i had on me (5k US dollars) and they just asked if we had where to stay and we said "yes" and that was it.
Not that everything is now very easy but i can say i save myself a good two years of waste because if i had come here without her, it would have been more time wasting!
So please just give the best try and God will do the rest for you. The main problem is already solved and that is your tuition....please proceed!

Niko hw u take apply for this PR Visa
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
valencia25:
Don't give up on that dream, get out of Nigeria while you can... Awa ti sign, we dn turn Mario for the situation.

Na here we go dy when $1 = N1 cool

weyrey ni bobo yi sha.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by dasparrow: 10:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
@Post

OP, go to America. You have been blessed with scholarship and stipend and here you are asking whether you should go. Dem swear for you? Can't you see where Nigeria is headed? So you enjoy the constant power outages that leave many Nigerians in perpetual darkness? or the rising cost of food, goods and services while salary remains stagnant? don't ruin this golden opportunity God has blessed you with. He that has started a good thing in your life will complete it.

Go!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
SmartMugu:

Great question.
Another question I'd like to add is what website or organisation promised that stipend and tuition-free education in the US for an international student?
Many things may sound rosy until one gets under the heat. Lets hope OP is on the right path.
Sir, most American schools give graduate assistantship that covers tuition waiver and monthly stipend to graduate students.
I got into 3 universities and I decided to go to University of Rhode Island.
I still have offers from University of Tennessee Knoxville and Michigan Tech university all with graduate assistantship

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
juntod:

Which State and City? Did you get free dorm as well? If yes, you do not need even $100 to survive in a month if you are determined. Otherwise, the only issue will be rent. I still have suggestions for you. In any case, come to America. You will not regret it.
I didn't get free dorm.
The issue I'm having is rent exactly.
Also the $600 I'm to pay and other fees.
This exchange rate no be here o.
I'm heading to university of Rhode island
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by IRserveMyComent(f): 10:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
Dont let all the effort you have put into this to go to waste. Think of the money you have spent so far to get to this level. And the exams you took many people failed it. My dear do all you can to Live Your Dream.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:47pm On Jun 09, 2016
Chukwumeremeze:
1. microfinance banks offer certain soft credit facilities to business people, kindly identify with them for funds aid, you could get something out.
2. your parents should have either a land or valuable asset which they could sell to raise you support funds.
3. your parents can equally spead the info to well meaning family members, kinsmem or village circles, someone or some persons may be touched to assist either as loan or by free will. Igbos don't joke about a promising young chap who is heading to obodo ndi oyibo!
4. the house of GOD is a potent place where help could also be gotten, kindly communicate with your head pastor, elders, congregation and church welfare teams, forgo the shame, because this opportunity is sure solved when effectively shared.
5. talk to God about your case, for His divine intervention to urgently raise fund helpers.

i see the bright light of victory before the deadline month.

shine on bro,
congrats in advance!

Thanks bro.
I appreciate it
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:51pm On Jun 09, 2016
Sanchase:
Bro one guy just saw this thread and he asked if it possible to remove your face on the passport and visa then add his own face. In addition he will pay you 700K lol.
Lool
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:53pm On Jun 09, 2016
princeonx:

Good advise but my questions are how did he qualify for financial aid in the first place? He's coming on an F1 student visa which means he will be paying international tuition fees. Which government will pay that and still hand him $1,500 a month? Nigeria? Cux am sure u guys are not talking about US cux he must prove that he can afford the tuition and living expenses before they grant him admission as F1 student.
Sir, I didn't even submit bank statement cos my tuition waiver plus stipend is more than the total cost of attendance. They sent me my i-20 without paying a dime. I was given the award because of my academic profile. GRE toefl and cgpa

4 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Seeeeeeee: 10:53pm On Jun 09, 2016
swaggprofessor:
cos that all u could achieve.
Not really bro, you said B.sc Upper Credit... Nothing like that bro! We have B.sc Upper Class.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
princeonx:

Please tell me the school that gave you admission for masters in the US with tuition waiver? Nothing is free here oga! Somebody somehow will have to pay it so are you on some scholarship from Nigeria? Or being sponsored by a company or something? Even people that get financial aid pay school fees (government pay it for them) so please explain more cux you seem to have more benefits than some US citizens! Pls kowaciate!
Sir, the schools in America give financial aid to graduate students( esp those in SCIENCE TECH MATHS ENGINEERING). That's how I got it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:59pm On Jun 09, 2016
kpolli:

Na mansion you wan rent in your first month.... Bro you don't need that much, in my first month I spent less than 500.... Plus most schools allow you pay instalmentally for fees including insurance.... You have 3 months to hustle your ticket and $1,000.00.

Bro you can make it if you're serious
Seriously
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 09, 2016
Come and look for Nigerians in the city. Some may even house you for the 1st few months. Also, Nigerians own a lot of nursing homes and you could get a small under-d-table hustle for ur 1st few months. Bet me depending on d state u are, u would easily see Nigerians that are very happy to help. Ur better off outta Nigeria than in Naija at this time.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
Y2244:

With a 324 GRE score and 3.82/4.00 CGPA (converted from a scale of 5.00) I only got into one out of the 6 top grad schools for Petroleum Engineering in the USA, albeit without funding. Coupled with your good profile, I'd say you're very lucky.

You're in a very good condition. I really don't see why you're confused. Trust me, you don't even need any loan from any bank.

If I am in your shoes, I'll go to LinkedIn and look for Nigerians in that same school or even in the department you were admitted to. How'd you do that? Type the name of the school with Nigeria in front of it in the search query box. For example, "University of Texas at Austin Nigeria." That will come up with a result of those that have had contact with the school and Nigeria, of course including those who aren't Nigerians. From this result, you can use their profiles to filter Nigerians who are currently studying in the School. To extend the search to the department, you just have to add the name of the department to the previous search text.

Now, you can add them up and explain your situation to them. I'm sure you'd surely get someone that can even allow you stay with him/her pending when you get your own place. And since they're sure you'll be receiving stipend, they should be able to borrow you money.

We might have our troubles here due to religious and ethnic differences, but in an Oyinbo land, a Nigerian will most likely than not help a fellow Nigerian regardless of his or her tribe or religion.

Goodluck Prof!
Thanks bro.
Would take your advice

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
heroshark:

3.3/4 a polytechnic or university? I don't know university use a 4.00 scale
I converted it to 4.0 scale using WES

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
Phlegmwash:
I need some clarifications before I give my opinion. Does the package include insurance or not? If no, does the university give the flexibility to select insurance company of your choosing? To the fellow who said you don't need insurance to be a grad student: Don't mislead OP, that's so not true. Congratulations OP for getting a tuition waiver and stipend, do everything to get here as soon as you can.

The package doesn't include health insurance.
I'm not sure about the flexibility of selecting insurance company but the health insurance is $600/yr.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
GboyegaD:
It's all about you and your long term plans. My little advice to you is to go do the masters program if you really have the interest in it and thereafter, you can know what your next decision is. As it is right now, you do not have a better paying job thus, improving yourself academically wouldn't be a bad idea. More so, all you need for now is to raise enough money to pay your rent for the first month and also, the little fees you have to pay and I can assure you if you manage your stipends well enough, you will be able to live a comfortable and decent life in school. Many youths have taken this step and in my opinion, it has always paid off. I am a testimony to this.
Thanks sir.
I've read your contributions on the visa thread.
God bless you real good
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 09, 2016
But you did not post your own experience there lipsrsealed.
Imagine if gboyegaD did the same thing, what would you have read? angry
At times, our self-centered attitude is the bane of our problems. GIVE BACK, PLEASE smiley
CProf:

Thanks sir.
I've read your contributions on the visa thread.
God bless you real good

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Malakh:
Good advice,you came a year after me,you know what's up
abike12, thanks
You guys are wonderful

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:24pm On Jun 09, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
How are you going to spend $2000 in your first month.
You need:
1. Bus pass to get around ($70/month)
2. Food is cheap and readily available
3. 99 cents stores are there for your daily needs.
4. No health insurance. If you get sick, walk to the ER of any community hospital or any hospital....they must treat you.

So what will be taking your $2k the first month?
Do you have accommodation?
\
No accommodation sir
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by ugonna1054(m): 11:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
OnWebTech:
you have gone this far..

Turning back will be foolish...
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
sirRiddy:
But you did not post your own experience there lipsrsealed.
Imagine if gboyegaD did the same thing, what would you have read? angry
At times, our self-centered attitude is the bane of our problems. GIVE BACK, PLEASE smiley
Sir, a friend has been helping me.
I believe you know holudarey01 on that thread.
I've been a guest all these while, he told me to join NL. I would post my transcript when I get my visa
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by ugonna1054(m): 11:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
Mhen. ........I advise u to go o,opportunity lik this is rare

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Container Falls Off Trailer On Ojuelegba Bridge, Lagos / Plane Crashes Into Car While Trying To Take-off On The Street In Russia (Video) / Aerial View Of The Abuja City Gate And The National Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.