Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary (3687 Views)

The Longest Word In The English Dictionary / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016 / Some New Words Has Been Added To The Oxford English Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by nedufantasy(m): 1:53pm On Jun 10, 2016
The Oxford English Dictionary has revealed the menu of new words added to its monumental collection. Now you can call someone bruh without fear of contradiction or error. Among the new list you will find numerous shocking and funny entries.
Check out the new words below and tell us which one is your favourite in the comment box.

 Awesomesauce, adj. : (U.S. Informal) extremely good; excellent

 Bants (also bantz), pl. n.: (Brit. Informal) playfully teasing or mocking remarks exchanged with another person or group; banter

 Beer o’clock, n.: an appropriate time of day for starting to drink beer

 Blockchain, n.: a digital ledger in which transactions made in bit coin or another cryptocurrency are recorded chronologically and publicly

 Brain fart, n.: (Informal) a temporary mental lapse or failure to reason correctly

 Brexit, n.: a term for the potential or hypothetical departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union

 Bruh, n.: (U.S. Informal) a male friend (often used as a form of address)

 Buttdial, v.: (U.S. Informal) inadvertently call (someone) on a mobile phone in one’s rear trouser pocket

 Butthurt, adj.: (U.S. Informal) overly or unjustifiably offended or resentful

 Cakeage, n.: (Informal) a charge made by a restaurant for serving a cake they have not supplied themselves

 Cat café, n.: a café or similar establishment where people pay to interact with cats housed on the premises

 Fast-casual, adj.: denoting or relating to a type of high quality self service restaurant offering dishes that are prepared to order and more expensive than those available in a typical fast food restaurant

 Fatberg, n.: a very large mass of solid waste in a sewerage system, consisting especially of congealed fat and personal hygiene product that has been flushed down the toilets

 Fat-shame, v.: cause (someone judged to be fat or overweight) to feel humiliated by making mocking or critical comments about their size

 Grexit, n.: a term for the potential withdrawal of Greece from the Eurozone (the economic region formed by those countries in European Union that use the Euro as their national currency)

 Hangry, adj.: (Informal) bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger

 MacGyver, v.: (U.S. Informal) make or repair (an object) in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items that are at hand

 Manspreading, n.: the practice whereby a man especially one travelling on public transport adopts a sitting position with his legs wide apart, in such a way as to encroach on an adjacent seat or seats

 Mic drop, n.: (Informal, chiefly U.S.) an instance of deliberately dropping or tossing aside ones microphone at the end of a performance or speech one considers to have been particularly impressive

 Mx, n.: a title used before a persons surname or full name by those who wish to avoid specifying their gender or by those who prefer not to identify themselves as male or female

 Rage-quit, v.: (Informal) angrily abandon an activity or pursuit that has become frustrating especially the playing of a video game

 Skippable, adj. : (of a part or feature of something) able to be omitted or passed over so as to get to the next part or feature

 Wine o’clock, n.: an appropriate time of day for starting to drink wine

Credit: Oxford Words Blog

SOURCE: http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/06/see-new-words-added-to-oxford-english.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Kondomatic(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
Great
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Rukkydelta(f): 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2016
Fp material
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by IRserveMyComent(f): 2:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
But the word "banter" has existed in the dictionary befor now.

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Inioluwa01(m): 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2016
I just love the English Language...it maybe a little complicated but easy to 'invent'. That 'Beer o' clock' got me sha. Simple, yet Genius!

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by musaajebor(m): 4:08pm On Jun 10, 2016
lots and loads of peeps on nland dey suffer from brain fart

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by ademiD(f): 4:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
good to know
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by ademiD(f): 4:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
good to know
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by ExplicitContent: 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
Cool. What is the criteria for inventing a word and having it recognised as to be in a dictionary?
Like dis Time suppose dun reach wey atleast one pidgin word go dae dictionary grin

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Davidovinci(m): 5:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
Beer o'clock and wine o'clock Though...I expect naija peeps to abuse these words...

Niggaz gonna be like: Bruh! It's beer f*cking o'clock..Let's get turned up in this motherf*cker! grin

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Michellla(f): 5:39pm On Jun 10, 2016
 Rage-quit, v.: (Informal) angrily abandon an activity or pursuit that has become frustrating
especially the playing of a video game

love this grin

3 Likes

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by dynamo77(m): 6:19pm On Jun 10, 2016
Can we please adopt pidgin as our lingua Franca.....
I tire for this English language joor
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by herkeym001(m): 6:58pm On Jun 10, 2016
dynamo77:
I'm tire for this English language joor
seconded
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by RealAdewole(m): 7:17pm On Jun 10, 2016
Y All US words over there informal
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by RealAdewole(m): 7:22pm On Jun 10, 2016
herkeym001:

seconded
thirded

dynamo77:
I'm tire for this English language joor
you suppose write dis post for pidgin now

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by tobex23(m): 7:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
Na only UK and US dey this world ni

And if a Briton leaving his country is "Brexit", then if a Nigerian is leaving what is it called embarassed
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Babsopey(m): 8:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
I've always been trying to see how I can make those involve with languages to improve our languages.

Yoruba for example needs much improvement. I am a Yoruba guy and I tried to interpret physics terminologies to some of my students who couldn't comprehend the big grammars and scientific jargons.

Let's improve our own languages. Just like Holy Bible. Translate major subjects in schools to our language. Let's teach these courses in our language and see how much students will understand and invent.

China, India, Koreans all uses their local language to teach and as official. Yet most, especially India and China can speak very good English.

Have you ever see somebody making jest of you for speaking wrong Yoruba or your own language? Yet we do everyday.

God bless us.

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by AprokoNaija: 8:45pm On Jun 10, 2016
I love this part....
 Beer o’clock, n.: an appropriate time of day for starting to drink beer 
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Dfinex(f): 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2016
the only interesting invention there is "Beer o'clock "
and it's my pleasure to add a synonym to it .."17:24"...lolss...thank God it's Friday
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Peacetemi: 9:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
My favourite word is 'brain fart' cant wait to use that on some stuuupid somebori. Our politicians are brain farting. tongue
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by CaptainEColeJnr: 9:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
I really find it a senile ideology of using just British and American Englishes as the yardstick for drafting acceptable words into the English vocabulary.

I for one believe that words from the Nigerian English and even Pidgin English which happens to be widely spoken across West Africa and beyond deserve to be drafted into the English vocabulary.

Examples:
Wetin—a diminutive for "What"
Dey— a diminutive for"Is" or "are"

Sabi—a diminutive for "know"

Now don't laugh at me.. because most of those words recently added to the dictionary are American street colloquials which are definitely not acceptable in conventional Standard English .. so why can't Nigerian English words be given some recognition.

Must America or Britain always be the standard of measurement? Nigeria has more English speakers than Britain, West Africa has more English Speakers than the USA.

I have said enough!

2 Likes

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by ojayfrancis(m): 9:45pm On Jun 10, 2016
Henglis and deirz fafala
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by daveyjay(m): 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2016
Bants...I'm in the know of that alwdi! But hanqry??! Hehehhe...bruh, I'm hanqry... grin
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by MAbdulsamod(m): 10:05pm On Jun 10, 2016
awesome sauce don dey dictionary he don tey
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 10, 2016
butthurt finally. lol
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by deco22(m): 11:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
lol seriously...*bruh*[quote]
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by dmola(m): 9:06am On Jun 11, 2016
Bruh! I use tht wrd too often ....
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by stinggy(m): 1:11pm On Jun 11, 2016
Brexit and Grexit appear needless to me though. Not like words that will find their usage in many conversation.

1 Like

Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by DrayZee: 2:27pm On Jun 11, 2016
IRserveMyComent:

And "bruh" and "awesome sauce" too.
Re: See The New 23 Words Added To The Oxford English Dictionary by tuk2ato(m): 7:42am On Jun 12, 2016
The new word is bants/bantz not banter!
IRserveMyComent:

(1) (Reply)

A Student Did Her Assignment Correctly But The Teacher Scored Her Zero / Read this before you apply for 2010 JAMB UTME online / Caution Notice ! (educational Consulting Firm In 9ja)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.