Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States (21644 Views)

Statutory Allocations For States From January To June 2017 / Magu: Senate Plans Fresh Showdown With Presidency / FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by fsb(m): 7:24pm On Jun 11, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
Till when will this continue for?

We need to restructure the country along regional lines asap. Regions will be able to harness their resources, muster their strengths and complement their weakness, for them to build a strong and sustainable regional economy.

I agree but the reason our government decided to do away with regions was that ethnic minorities were being marginalized. Creation of states also allowed for rapid development of hundreds of towns and new cities which have brought economic prosperity to locals. The problem however was that the leadership of states of the Nigerian federation were comfortable with monthly manna from Abuja with no thought about how they could boost IGR.

Aside the over-reliance on oil and gas revenues, several states were poorly managed from misplaced priorities - including construction of non-viable airports to overt embezzlement of public funds. The syndrome of "na where man dey work na im dey chop" has been responsible for corruption at all levels - to the extent that it has become part of living in or doing business in Nigeria.

You just can't squander resources under the delusion that your country is a rich country when in fact it's resources are not sufficient to guarantee provision of good and well-maintained roads, quality healthcare services, provision of safe water, good schools etc.

Our predicament is the result of years of bad management and not because Buhari does not have a PhD in Public Policy or Macroeconomics.

In any case, our problems are beyond the number of states in existence. Serious constitutional and policy reforms are needed - from how states control their resources, to stringent fiscal and policy reforms to prevent wastage at federal, state and local government levels.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by SuperS1Panther: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2016
fsb:

I agree but the reason our government decided to do away with regions was that ethnic minorities were being marginalized. Creation of states also allowed for rapid development of hundreds of towns and new cities which have brought economic prosperity to locals. The problem however was that the leadership of states of the Nigerian federation were comfortable with monthly manna from Abuja with no thought about how they could boost IGR.

Aside the over-reliance on oil and gas revenues, several states were poorly managed from misplaced priorities - including construction of non-viable airports to overt embezzlement of public funds. The syndrome of "na where man dey work na im dey chop" has been responsible for corruption at all levels - to the extent that it has become part of living in or doing business in Nigeria.

You just can't squander resources under the delusion that your country is a rich country when in fact it's resources are not sufficient to guarantee provision of good and well-maintained roads, quality healthcare services, provision of safe water, good schools etc.

Our predicament is the result of years of bad management and not because Buhari does not have a PhD in Public Policy or Macroeconomics.

In any case, our problems are beyond the number of states in existence. Serious constitutional and policy reforms are needed - from how states control their resources, to stringent fiscal and policy reforms to prevent wastage at federal, state and local government levels.

I agree with your submission on creation of states being instrumental to development. If Nigeria had been running on regional government structure till date, probably we may just have had 6-8 super developed cities while other area will be mere mushroom villages. It all depend on the philosophy and the developmental growth plan of each region.

However, different times call for different strategies. We can still have our regional governments now, with the power to create as many states as they want. This will even propel development faster than we have now because the regions can harness their strengths collectively, while covering up for the weaknesses of the constituent states.

Corruption in this country was encouraged by too much power at the Centre. Let there be devolution of power to the Regions with resource control, regional police, regional educational and health systems etc we will see more development and better quality of lives of people. To be candid, nothing is guaranteed. But, we have tried this madness for too long, we need to tinker with the structure.

The healthy rivalry that might develop from such structure will ensure all regions are result oriented. At the same time, the allegiance of the people might be with there regions and they can still enjoy the benefit of being part of the larger Nigeria population, when it comes to international politicking.

I believe we do not have anything to lose by trying out a new system. This has not worked in anyway. Only a mad man keeps doing the same thing over and over again and will be expecting a different result.

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by amaechi1: 8:38pm On Jun 11, 2016
What fascinate me most was the stringent measure to qualify for the bail out:

1. Publish an audited report of their financial obligations;
2. Enhance or develop system to improve their IGR;
3. Institute an efficiency units to reduce cost of governance and avoid duplication of expenditures;

These three items will improve accountability and make the governor more responsible. The ball is in the court of the governors.

Nigeria is matching forward.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by bettercreature(m): 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
--- yeah nice alliteration The IPOB States, Massob States and all Bia'Fraud entities from the south east
You mean those criminals?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by macino1(m): 9:17pm On Jun 11, 2016
This is a clear indication that governance at the state levels are total nonsense. No plans, direction or creativity to be self dependence.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 11, 2016
modath:

This is beyond funny... how long will we continue on this road to nowhereville?

They should kuku appoint administrators for the states!! Uhhm! smiley
The subtle convertion of lady Modath. When did you obtain your Wailers Form O1? Last month?

According to the Finance Ministry, the FSP encompasses a framework of reform measures including the requirement for the states to publish audited financial statements and budgets, biometric and Bank Verification Number (BVN) payroll review exercises to sanitise payroll costs, as well as limits on recurrent expenditure levels
@bolded, no wonder these dudes have been hurrying us to submit our BVN and PSN numbers like they didn't have it before. Anyways, whatever brings money to the common man as due reward for his labour is a welcome development.
If they like they should be giving bailout every 6months till 2019, wetin concern anyborry?
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by chuose: 9:19pm On Jun 11, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
--- yeah nice alliteration The IPOB States, Massob States and all Bia'Fraud entities from the south east

Na them dey try fix ur economy wey u no fit run angry

Since dem be all these things why una dey fear make dem waka

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Raypawer(m): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2016
thats not the case, the bandwidth nairaland bought is low, some times i try to comment and i get an error that nairaland server is busy or some story like that concerning nairaland, Seun should either get a dedicated server or subscribe for a better package!

Jirate:
Seun should come to the aid of Thousands of Nairalanders who can't Comment on post, like or Create new Topics right now due to no fault of theirs. For some days now, you will a good post having almost 30 000 views but less than 100 comments . cool
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Montaque(m): 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2016
Imagine 30>able bodied men gloating over monthly allowance by their benevolent dad. Bail oout fund again? Governors shud be ashamed

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by fsb(m): 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

I agree with your submission on creation of states being instrumental to development. If Nigeria had been running on regional government structure till date, probably we may just have 6-8 super developed cities while other area will be mere mushroom villages. It all depend on the philosophy and the developmental growth pland of each region.

However, different times calls for different strategies. We can still have our regional governments now, with the power to create as many states as they want. This will even propel development faster than we have now because the regions can harness their strengths collectively, while covering up for the weaknesses of the constituent states.

Corruption in this country was encouraged by too much power at the Centre. Let there be devolution of power to the Regions with resource control, regional police, regional educational and health systems etc we will see more development and better quality of lives of people. To be candid, nothing is guaranteed. But, we have tried this madness for too long, we need to tinker with the structure.

The healthy rivalry that might develop from such structure will ensure all regions are result oriented. At the same time, the allegiance of the people might be with there regions and they can still enjoy the benefit of being part of the larger Nigeria population, when it comes to international politicking.

I believe we do not have anything to lose by trying out a new system. This has not worked in anyway. Only a mad man keeps doing the same thing over and over again and will be expecting a different result.

Well said. A lot of work is needed to move from where we are to where we want to be. I hope the Buhari administration can infect the political class and civil servants with the needed enthusiasm.

Most Nigerians see themselves first as Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa and a house divided against itself cannot stand. It's just simple fact. The change starts here on Nairaland with you and me.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Emekamex(m): 9:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
I don't even understand the present economic policy, everything is muddling and opaque.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by chimoskyg(m): 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
Nice move
Fayose that only make noise without making any impact in his state can now settle all his debt and continue his kpomo buying at market place grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by SuperS1Panther: 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
fsb:

Well said. A lot of work is needed to move from where we are to where we want to be. I hope the Buhari administration can infect the political class and civil servants with the needed enthusiasm.

Most Nigerians see themselves first as Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa and a house divided against itself cannot stand. It's just simple fact. The change starts here on Nairaland with you and me.

Seeing myself as a yoruba before a Nigeria is not a crime. That is simply who i see myself as before seeing myself as the lunatic creation of Lord Lugard, because that is the ethnicity God sent me to.

We can still harness the seemingly weakness in this by having our regions , where i see my region as a yoruba region when i am within the country and I see myself as a Nigerian immediately I take a step out of Nigeria.

My only fear about regionalism is its tendency to create tribal lords and masters.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Olamipapa(m): 9:30pm On Jun 11, 2016
Ofunaofu:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/650621/

By privatization of state owned resources! It means what? I don't understand.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Ready4watever: 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
What is this yo'robber talking about,yorubbers can never be hot like Igbo even if they boil them!

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by belloabdulrazaq(m): 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
MoneyGreen:
awon eyan Benjamin Netanyanhu grin
awon oloju kokoro shocked

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Ready4watever: 9:36pm On Jun 11, 2016
This is the worst government ever since Nigeria was created...AnD YOU CAN DIG THAT!!!,,,,ready for whatever meh!
Nigeria as a country is at its worst shape,imagine,I came back from Germany yesternight,at the Frankfurt mien flughafen,a German
Accosted me and started telling me chize!! I was so embarrassed by this,how could this monotonous govt make Nigeria image
Outside world look so dawning,I am ashamed to be a Nigerian for the first time because of miscarriage of information,do they
Not know that news emanating from ones country needed to be managed,instead I saw echezona today on algae era talking trash
I am not finding it funny,,,,ready4watever,,,,u can dig dat!!
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by hmuhammad(m): 9:40pm On Jun 11, 2016
MoneyGreen:
awon eyan Benjamin Netanyanhu grin
guy no burst my belle with lafta, you mean Idi Amin brothers?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by tempest01(m): 9:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
This is not about APC or PDP, this is about the failure of past governments. Why take on huge debt when the allocation coming in is more than enough.

Three nothing on ground to show for these debt incurred, and we keep repaying. Or future is now mortgaged even if we have bright minds running the affairs of the state's, they are limited by funding.

Nigeria is doomed.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by micrep3030(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
The truth is federal government is just trying to make us believe that they are caring of which it's just wickedness they reduce every state allocation now trying to sell them self's to US that they want to bale states out Kai bailingmyfoot
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Dotman2210(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
FG is not helping these states,though I understand they feel the workers...most of these governors just lack initiative,they receive security vote every month+IGR just irrespinsible lot
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by MoneyGreen(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
hmuhammad:
guy no burst my belle with lafts, you mean Idi Amin brothers?
maybe they are from Uganda but they're forming Jews of Isreal for we.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Sunmolar(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
United States of Nigeria
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 11, 2016
MoneyGreen:
The pessimist are the 5%ers.. The Wailers of the Wailing Wall.
on top our oil money? Hahahaha you goats are funny. Una go begin chop cocoa powder very soon

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by onatisi(m): 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
Dotman2210:
FG is not helping these states,though I understand they feel the workers...most of these governors just lack initiative,they receive security vote every month+IGR just irrespinsible lot
it is a matter of time before this government start printing more naira notes . Just wait and see
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by CyerSeries: 9:52pm On Jun 11, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
Myndd44 and Seun, you guys are just watching as this focks insult SE but if we unleash hell on them, you ban us for months.. Its Ok sad

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by MoneyGreen(m): 9:53pm On Jun 11, 2016
googlepikin:
on top our oil money? Hahahaha you goats are funny. Una go begin chop cocoa powder very soon
grin Oya sorry bros, na beg we dey beg una please...... No, worry, very soon Army go rain fire on you like Hiroshima angry
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by gebest: 9:58pm On Jun 11, 2016
MoneyGreen:
Abeg don't give Fayose anything.. That loudmouth tout.
it is the grass that will sufer if they did't give him not him, he knows dats y he is blabbing like dat he does't care about his people. He is just an hypocrate.
Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by CyerSeries: 10:01pm On Jun 11, 2016
To think that some people are celebrating this shows that blacks are cursed beyond redemption. Its a pity angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by banmee(m): 10:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
Till when will this continue for?

We need to restructure the country along regional lines asap. Regions will be able to harness their resources, muster their strengths and complement their weakness, for them to build a strong and sustainable regional economy.

Please explain to me why the states, as they are now, can't "harness their resources, master their strengths and complement their weakness, for them to build a strong and sustainable state. I don't think you understand what is going on in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Fresh Financial Relief Package For States by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
MoneyGreen:
grin Oya sorry bros, na beg we dey beg una please...... No, worry, very soon Army go rain fire on you like Hiroshima angry
OK o. That will be another 3 years fight in the creeks. This is not land Forest.i hope they will all kiss their wives goodbye before coming. Cos there won't be Fisher men to save them from drowning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Files Fresh Charges Against Fani-kayode / 2019 Elections: We Will Be Stoned To Death If We Present Buhari – APC Group / Why South East APC Leaders Rejected Governor Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.