Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,268 members, 7,807,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? (11201 Views)

How To Check If Your Seat Belts Are Properly Working / The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts / The Wonder Of Seat Belts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by nevilbot: 7:02am On Jun 13, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
Only two 2 people are allowed to sit at the back ..
At least that's how most cars are built
But in Nigeria, especially Nigerian taxis 5 people sits at the back, some go even lap themselves... How do you expect them to use sit belt?

Not 2, its 3. If u look at the back seats very well dia are seat belts for 3 occupants . the one in d middle is designed like a plane seat belt that crosses the waist and not the chest like the others. Every car has it. Most in Nigeria av bin removed and used as towing rope
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Earth2Metahuman: 7:04am On Jun 13, 2016
nevilbot:

Not 2, its 3. If u look at the back seats very well dia are seat belts for 3 occupants . the one in d middle is designed like a plane seat belt that crosses the waist and not the chest like the others. Every car has it. Most in Nigeria av bin removed and used as towing rope

90's cars are 2

2000 cars 3

Plus, I said most cars.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by nevilbot: 7:05am On Jun 13, 2016
GoldenJAT:
no idea!! right from when I was a kid...u rarely c those at d back seat using seat belt...seems more like a natural occurrence.

Abnormal things usually look natural in Nigeria. How many naija drivers even know traffic rules. In a country Wia u can get a drivers license even before u can differentiate BTW a hand break and a gear.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by nevilbot: 7:08am On Jun 13, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

90's cars are 2

2000 cars 3

Plus, I said most cars.

Which 90s car plz. Is it Peugeot or Benz that are even wider than present day cars that are designed for 2? Maybe u need to go check those 90s cars again. U will be in for a pleasant surprise. The only car that was designed for 2 at d back in d 90s was the Volkswagen beetle. All others are designed for 3 except the wagons Wia d middle seat is for 2
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Harrybanty(m): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2016
In a country where carrying four passengers at the back is allowed, how can they implement the rear seat belt?
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Earth2Metahuman: 7:12am On Jun 13, 2016
nevilbot:

Which 90s car plz. Is it Peugeot or Benz that are even wider than present day cars that are designed for 2? Maybe u need to go check those 90s cars again. U will be in for a pleasant surprise. The only car that was designed for 2 at d back in d 90s was the Volkswagen beetle. All others are designed for 3 except the wagons Wia d middle seat is for 2
dude I don't want meaning less argument this morning .. My car has space for 2 belts.. There was even demarcation in the middle to show the car is for 2 people.. Go away with your meaningless arguememt jare.

For the records, peugots are 80s
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 13, 2016
they are always the first to respond to accidents and rescue victims and they have witnessed so more front seat casualties.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by GoldenJAT(m): 7:20am On Jun 13, 2016
nevilbot:

Abnormal things usually look natural in Nigeria. How many naija drivers even know traffic rules. In a country Wia u can get a drivers license even before u can differentiate BTW a hand break and a gear.
lol...everything goes in this country.. u talk true sha
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by powerfulsettingz: 7:22am On Jun 13, 2016
eaglechild:

Enforcement of seatbelt use by FRSC is probably the best policy by the Corp since their inception.

Most Nigerians are now used to it and I can tell you it has saved lots of lives.
Bro am part of the 99.0.9% of road users That fake it when FRSC IS sighted on the road, and withdraw it back when they are passed....... God has always been the keeper not really the belt
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by malosky79(m): 7:28am On Jun 13, 2016
beg to disagree with you as in totally. Last year December, an African football player in Germany was flung out of the back seat of a car during a collision and he died instantly cus he was not using his belt while his two friends in d front survived. Was the seats not dia to stop him if your theory is right?
In advanced countries, all occupants either u sit in front or back must use dia seat beats. Even the cars will continue to peep in a very annoying way if those at the back refuse to comply. And ur license can be revoked as a driver if a back seater in your car is caught beltless after u are fined like 100€. Even kids below 10 av a special seat u buy separately that u put on d seat in the back. Dey seat on this and not on d car seat directly before u belt them in.
Just that in Nigeria, our law enforcers do not even know the right thing not to talk of enforcing it. Nigeria is just so messed up.

I just want you to know that FRSC officials are Nigerians and they have brothers and sisters amongst the populace,enforcement of back seat belts has commenced in earnest starting with FRSC staff themselves and am very sure that very soon it will be made public like the front seats.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Kolapo: 7:30am On Jun 13, 2016
I wear it always. It is for my safety
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by malosky79(m): 7:31am On Jun 13, 2016
malosky79:
beg to disagree with you as in totally. Last year December, an African football player in Germany was flung out of the back seat of a car during a collision and he died instantly cus he was not using his belt while his two friends in d front survived. Was the seats not dia to stop him if your theory is right?
In advanced countries, all occupants either u sit in front or back must use dia seat beats. Even the cars will continue to peep in a very annoying way if those at the back refuse to comply. And ur license can be revoked as a driver if a back seater in your car is caught beltless after u are fined like 100€. Even kids below 10 av a special seat u buy separately that u put on d seat in the back. Dey seat on this and not on d car seat directly before u belt them in.
Just that in Nigeria, our law enforcers do not even know the right thing not to talk of enforcing it. Nigeria is just so messed up.

I just want you to know that FRSC officials are Nigerians and they have brothers and sisters amongst the populace,enforcement of back seat belts has commenced in earnest starting with FRSC staff themselves and am very sure that very soon it will be made public like the front seats.
(Modify ) (Quote ) ( Report) (Share )
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by bigtt76(f): 7:41am On Jun 13, 2016
Do they know that? They are only interested in oppressing drivers upandan angry

Lezzlie:
Why do Nigerian FRSC insists on driver and front passenger seat belts only when rear seat belts are just as important.

Frontal collusion can send a rear occupant smashing through the windshield and onto the pavement without seat belts.

A somersaulting vehicle can also spill rear occupants out of windows when seatbelts are not fastened.
But the FRSC do not enforce rear seat belt application or usuage.

Is there something substantially different in vehicle regulations about the usages of front and rear seat belts?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Exponental(m): 7:43am On Jun 13, 2016
Main reason the Minister died.
I wish I was prepared to snap, saw FRSC driving their new Peugeot yesterday without using seatbelt.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by idupaul: 8:21am On Jun 13, 2016
thesicilian:
I guess its because the front passenger or driver is more at risk of death or severe injury in the case of an accident. If you're at the back you've got the seats in front of you (which are usually cushioned) to stop you from serious harm, but the front occupants can end up flying out of the vehicle if seat belts are not worn.
Its the same reason many cars have only front airbags.

But in reality during an accident back passengers not strapped are a major risk to front occupants because during a solid impact they become projectiles that have at most times killed other occupants including those wearing seatbealts
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by joseph1832(m): 8:27am On Jun 13, 2016
bigtt76:
Do they know that? They are only interested in oppressing drivers upandan angry

LOL. How can you say this? Oppress is a strong word, you know right?
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by teebell999(m): 8:45am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=Lezzlie post=46488754]Why do Nigerian FRSC insists on driver and front passenger seat belts only when rear seat belts are just as important.

Frontal collusion can send a rear occupant smashing through the windshield and onto the pavement without seat belts.

A somersaulting vehicle can also spill rear occupants out of windows when seatbelts are not fastened.
But the FRSC do not enforce rear seat belt application or usuage.

Is there something substantially different in vehicle regulations about the usages of front and rear seat belts?[/qu

Have Nigerians complied with the use of front seat belts not to talk of the rear seat belts? Drivers and passengers only wait till they see Road Safety Officers on the road before they fasten their front seat belts. If i happen to be one of them, I will just do the little i can do and leave the rest cos most road users are insane. shikena!!!
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by teebell999(m): 8:45am On Jun 13, 2016
Have Nigerians complied with the use of front seat belts not to talk of the rear seat belts? Drivers and passengers only wait till they see Road Safety Officers on the road before they fasten their front seat belts. If i happen to be one of them, I will just do the little i can do and leave the rest cos most road users are insane. shikena!!!
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Waspy(m): 9:07am On Jun 13, 2016
The same way they only advice bike riders to wear helmets and not their passengers. It just doesn't make sense. Enforcing pple to wear seatbelts for me is somehow. It's like enforcing me to shut my doors or gate at night .
FRSC, just like many other fed govt agencies shld be scrapped. I will always maintain that they are a waste of tax payers money. I wonder why we need someone whose only job is to oppress in the name of checking seat belts. Bulk of what they claim to done shld be the responsibilities of VIO and the Police.
My take tho
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by bigtt76(f): 9:11am On Jun 13, 2016
Yes keh! Den go check tire, Licence, Seat Belt, Fire Extingushier etc BUT you will never hear of them embarking on any sensitization program on the need to have those things functional ....tell me, is that not oppression?

joseph1832:
LOL. How can you say this? Oppress is a strong word, you know right?
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by joseph1832(m): 9:13am On Jun 13, 2016
bigtt76:
Yes keh! Den go check tire, Licence, Seat Belt, Fire Extingushier etc BUT you will never hear of them embarking on any sensitization program on the need to have those things functional ....tell me, is that not oppression?

That's just looking for ways to collect money from you. That's what most of these people like to do.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by ofuje94: 9:25am On Jun 13, 2016
Did i hear someone say cos they are all bunch of illiterate that didn't receive proper training... no FRSC is not like that and this person has to be cautioned cos he is going against the rules here...nairaland(server)...i hope you really go through comments cos i don't want to mention names. you guys should also know dat FRSC embarks on both front and rear seat belts, be INFORMED smiley[img][/img][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by thesicilian: 9:37am On Jun 13, 2016
idupaul:

But in reality during an accident back passengers not strapped are a major risk to front occupants because during a solid impact they become projectiles that have at most times killed other occupants including those wearing seatbealts
That is true also. Which is why there are seatbelts for every occupant of the vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by eaglechild: 9:38am On Jun 13, 2016
powerfulsettingz:

Bro am part of the 99.0.9% of road users That fake it when FRSC IS sighted on the road, and withdraw it back when they are passed....... God has always been the keeper not really the belt
God is the keeper no doubt.

But I'm pretty sure He wants you to do the right thing which is always wear your seatbelt.

You are really mistaking if you think 99. 09% of Nigerians fake it.

I routinely wear my seatbelt. All my family members and friends do the same.
I have had several friends who were better off because of it and a few who nearly lost their lives cause they shared a similar attitude with you. I know one (front passenger) whose head nearly went through the windscreen while the driver was untouched(was strapped ).

You should also know that you at greater risk of getting injured if the airbag goes off when you are not strapped.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by thesicilian: 9:41am On Jun 13, 2016
nevilbot:

I beg to disagree with you as in totally. Last year December, an African football player in Germany was flung out of the back seat of a car during a collision and he died instantly cus he was not using his belt while his two friends in d front survived. Was the seats not dia to stop him if your theory is right?

Just that in Nigeria, our law enforcers do not even know the right thing not to talk of enforcing it. Nigeria is just so messed up

You're right, no one is totally safe in a crash, even the ones wearing seatbelts, be it front or back row. However you're are also likely to agree with the fact that your example above is more of an exception rather than the norm.
Your points are very valid and we have a long way to go in Nigeria, and many believe we will get there.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by MechM(m): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2016
thesicilian:
I guess its because the front passenger or driver is more at risk of death or severe injury in the case of an accident. If you're at the back you've got the seats in front of you (which are usually cushioned) to stop you from serious harm, but the front occupants can end up flying out of the vehicle if seat belts are not worn.
Its the same reason many cars have only front airbags.

I don't total agree with your points.

Yes you may be right that the front seats may cushion the back passengers incase of any impact/collision but that is assumed if the back passengers are putting on their seat belt else they will equally be flying out the window or hitting you from the back.

The back seat passengers are required to also put on their seat belt. If there is a collision/accident and the back passengers are not putting on their seat belt, they pose more danger to you in the front seat because the force will propel them towards the front seat and you might have head to head collision with you in the front.

So I advise when you are driving your friends and family, always insist the back seat passengers put on their seat belts, because you never can tell when an accident will occur.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by teebell999(m): 10:32am On Jun 13, 2016
Since i know the importance of both the front and the rear seat belts, then i dont know need to wait for any law enforcement agent to tell me using it.

Abeg this topic is boring....

Next...
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Lezzlie(m): 10:38am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=teebell999 post=46526298][/quote] Perhaps, if the FRSC enforce it like they do the driver's and front passenger's, Nigerians will at least know it's safer and appropriate to use it.

The front seat belt enforcement has helped alot of Nigerians adapt to using it, myself inclusive.

Same should be done to rear seat belt usuage too.
Re: Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 13, 2016
Here in Australia, both those at the front and bAck make use of seat belt

(1) (2) (Reply)

Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! / Please Help Me With Info About Peugeot 406 Prestige / List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.