Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,468 members, 7,781,360 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:08 PM

Regionalism Better Than True Federalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regionalism Better Than True Federalism (7865 Views)

Let Us Have Regionalism With FCT & Former Capitals Under The FG / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Only True Federalism Can Resolve Nigeria’s Problems – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 10:39pm On Jun 13, 2016
With the recent spate of calls for true federalism from several quarters of the country, I took it pertinent to research its implication for the south west and I was not impressed.
There was one thing it required which should never be allowed to see the light of day; namely State of residency.
Federalism requires state of residency over the state of origin now used, as a Yoruba man this is tantamount to us committing suicide, imagining the massive immigration(invasion) into our region send shivers down my spine; seeing as it will most likely be far better than all other regions.
To this end I feel that regionalism will favour us south westerners seeing as it allows border control to a large extent, abi ki le ro (or what do you guys think).
cc: lalasticlala

8 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by LoveMachine(m): 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
This is interesting. Would you mind going more in depth on border control?

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Blizzy9ja: 11:04pm On Jun 13, 2016
You are just for the south westerners... what about the other regions?
Carry ur selfishness go chop sh!t

4 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 11:05pm On Jun 13, 2016
Thank you OP.

The State of Residence is a fraud, that some people from gully eroded land want to use to run away from their land. SAY NO STATE OF RESIDENCE. The same people will not even allow others to own a shop on their own land, talk less of land for building. This is the reason why SS people do not give C of O.

Accepting State of Residence is as good as committing cultural and political suicide. Out of all the other regions, SW will be the greatest loser if the nonsense State of Residence is adopted.

We must insist on Regionalism and not Federalism with the existing states. The region can even create more states -- Ibadan State, Oke ogun State, Ijebu State, Igbomina State etc.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:12pm On Jun 13, 2016
LoveMachine:
This is interesting. Would you mind going more in depth on border control?
Well its simple there is more border control between regions than states take for instance Ghana, its regions have their own police force and all other security forces without interference from the centre due to the large absence of a federal force, this grants them greater leeway and larger berth to enact regional laws to the regions interest; laws like loitering, ownership of properties, eligibility to contest for office, workers pass, etc of course the laws of freedom of movement can not be nullified but laws can be enacted to make it excruciatingly difficult to misuse/overuse it.
But in federalism with the federal force; which the Hausa-fulani will fill by themselves by the way, and the executive power of the president, the laws of the states can be overturned to suit the centres whims and wishes, for instance USA.

6 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:14pm On Jun 13, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
Thank you OP.

The State of Residence is a fraud, that some people from gully eroded land want to use to run away from their land. SAY NO STATE OF RESIDENCE. The same people will not even allow others to own a shop on their own land, talk less of land for building. This is the reason why SS people do not give C of O.

Accepting State of Residence is as good as committing cultural and political suicide. Out of all the other regions, SW will be the greatest loser if the nonsense State of Residence is adopted.

We must insist on Regionalism and not Federalism with the existing states.
exactly my thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by lionshare: 11:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
Lets be objective. If you were the Governor of say...Lagos State. Which would you prefer?

The one that gives you enough data so you can plan, make assumptions and projections or the one that gives almost zilch to work with?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 11:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
I dont think regionalism will remove indigenship, so state by state can be more flexible on it.

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
lionshare:
Lets be objective. If you were the Governor of say...Lagos State. Which would you prefer?

The one that gives you enough data so you can plan, make assumptions and projections or the one that gives almost zilch to work with?
I will prefer regionalism as it will actually give Lagos and and Ogun state a chance to help other states in the region.

6 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
Can you pls explain how state of residency will be detrimental to the Southwest in a true federalism?

And on what basis did you deduced that the Southwestern region will ''be FAR better'' (in ur words) than other regions if true federalism is in play?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:25pm On Jun 13, 2016
Kingspin:
I dont think regionalism will remove indigenship, so state by state can be more flexible on it.
did you mean federalism?
if that is what you meant, then perhaps they do live it but there are still other issues to it like the federal police and the executive powers of the President.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 11:34pm On Jun 13, 2016
Thebachelor:
Can you pls explain how state of residency will be detrimental to the Southwest in a true federalism?

And on what basis did you deduced that the Southwestern region will ''be FAR better'' (in ur words) than other regions if true federalism is in play?

SW has the highest in flock of migrants from other regions.

SW will be better because the region will be able to develop at it's own exponential rate.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:36pm On Jun 13, 2016
Thebachelor:

Any jack and Jill can up and leave his region and tomorrow become a south westerner, this in itself isn't the problem, the problem comes about when you take into account that the south west has more chance of being better than other regions and hence numerous jacks and Jill up and leave their region to ours
On what basis; statistics and history and well statistics again, what stats you might be wondering, well look up the economic index, economic viability, economic diversification and GDP per capital, human development index, poverty rate, anarchy level, literacy rate, ease of doing business, religious tolerance, and etcetera

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

Any jack and Jill can up and leave his region and tomorrow become a south westerner, this in itself isn't the problem, the problem comes about when you take into account that the south west has more chance of being better than other regions and hence numerous jacks and Jill up and leave their region to ours
On what basis; statistics and history and well statistics again, what stats you might be wondering, well look up the economic index, economic viability, economic diversification and GDP per capital, human development index, poverty rate, anarchy level, literacy rate, ease of doing business, religious tolerance, and etcetera

l see your point. But have you looked at it from this perspective,that with true federalism - allowing each state to exploit its own potentials - there will be a higher propensity for every ''Jack and Jill'' to migrate back to their state of origin.

Say,for example,Nasarawa state (home of solid minerals) decides to establish solid minerals industries that will engage in the extraction of these minerals and transforming them into finished goods. These industries will attract Nasarawa state indigenes back home as they will be better off offering their services to their states than rendering it else where.

The same thing is applicable to other states because every ''Jack and Jill'' will most likely run to their states and seek out the available opportunities. So contrary to what you assumed,fiscal federalism will reduce the number of non-indigenes flocking to the southwest in general and Lagos in particular.

9 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 12:32am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

l see your point. But have you looked at it from this perspective,that with true federalism - allowing each state to exploit its own potentials - there will be a higher propensity for every ''Jack and Jill'' to migrate back to their state of origin.

Say,for example,Nasarawa state (home of solid minerals) decides to establish solid minerals industries that will engage in the extraction of these minerals and transforming them into finished goods. These industries will attract Nasarawa state indigenes back home as they will be better off offering their services to their states than rendering it else where.

The same thing is applicable to other states because every ''Jack and Jill'' will most likely run to their states and seek out the available opportunities. So contrary to what you assumed,fiscal federalism will reduce the number of non-indigenes flocking to the southwest in general and Lagos in particular.
wow to be frank I never saw it that way and yeah you do have a point.
but how are you sure other states will even make an effort?.

5 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by blackmatter007: 12:57am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

Every state will make an effort sir, simply because they are now closer to the people with more powers and decisions vested upon them, so it is a must that they perform because they No longer have the federal government to blame for non performance.

13 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

That's the problem. Unfortunately,none of us have crystal balls. We'd never know until we try. But hey,we can be optimistic.

8 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 1:02am On Jun 14, 2016
blackmatter007:

Every state will make an effort sir, simply because they are now closer to the people with more powers and decisions vested upon them, so it is a must that they perform because they No longer have the federal government to blame for non performance.

That was a salient point you made up there. They will have no choice but to make efforts because they will be held directly responsible for the failure or otherwise of their respective states.

7 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by blackmatter007: 1:15am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

That was a salient point you made up there. They will have no choice but to make efforts because they will be held directly responsible for the failure or otherwise of their respective states.

Exactly bro but I'm in support of the op, regionalism is the way to go although it will be a bit of a stretch since we already have states, but then! Regionalism will bring bigger development, massive infrastructural projects, far better than most states can but most importantly it spreads development to other areas with little or no resources.

For example, enugu has massive oil and gas meanwhile ebonyi, the closest to enugu has nothing, the proceeds from the sales of oil and gas in enugu, after much agreed deductions can be used to fund infrastructural works, and developmental plans in ebonyi because they are in the same region.

But if it were states practicing true federalism, funds from enugu cannot be shared with ebonyi rather after much agreed deductions, the rest goes to the FG leaving ebonyi to her faith. Thereby making some states super richer than the others and also limiting development to some part of the country.

Now can you see the disadvantage of "state true federalism"

Regionalism is the way to go so I'm with the op, tho not because of his stated concerns.

Edit

Ebonyi and enugu was only used as examples.
A user attacked me for saying ebonyi has no resources so i had to make this disclaimer.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 1:36am On Jun 14, 2016
blackmatter007:

Exactly bro but I'm in support of the op, regionalism is the way to go although it will be a bit of a stretch since we already have states, but then! Regionalism will bring bigger development, massive infrastructural projects, far better than most states can but most importantly it spreads development to other areas with little or no resources.

For example, enugu has massive oil and gas meanwhile ebonyi, the closest to enugu has nothing, the proceeds from the sales of oil and gas in enugu, after much agreed deductions can be used to fund infrastructural works, and developmental plans in ebonyi because they are in the same region.

But if it were states practicing true federalism, funds from enugu cannot be shared with ebonyi rather after much agreed deductions, the rest goes to the FG leaving ebonyi to her faith. Thereby making some states super richer than the others and also limiting development to some part of the country.

Now can you see the disadvantage of "state true federalism"

Regionalism is the way to go so I'm with the op, tho not because of his stated concerns.

Truth be told,you've just opened my eyes to one of the benefits of regionalism and an apparent disadvantage of true fiscal federalism. It's almost like a middle ground to what we are practicing now and true fiscal federalism.

Although,it has it's own disadvantage.

3 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by blackmatter007: 1:44am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

Truth be told,you've just opened my eyes to one of the benefits of regionalism and an apparent disadvantage of true fiscal federalism. It's almost like a middle ground to what we are practicing now and true fiscal federalism.

Yes it does have disadvantages but its advantages far exceeds its disadvantages.

I will choose regionalism anyday, anytime.

It will benefit nigeria and put her on the path of development, peace and progress because there will be less agitations, and this brings more development and most importantly, patriotism!

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by LoveMachine(m): 2:03am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

Well its simple there is more border control between regions than states take for instance Ghana, its regions have their own police force and all other security forces without interference from the centre due to the large absence of a federal force, this grants them greater leeway and larger berth to enact regional laws to the regions interest; laws like loitering, ownership of properties, eligibility to contest for office, workers pass, etc of course the laws of freedom of movement can not be nullified but laws can be enacted to make it excruciatingly difficult to misuse/overuse it.
But in federalism with the federal force; which the Hausa-fulani will fill by themselves by the way, and the executive power of the president, the laws of the states can be overturned to suit the centres whims and wishes, for instance USA.

This is a topic I'm not qualified to comment on but I will say it is a very intriguing concept. Props for the explanation.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 14, 2016
u see it, my betrayal brothers have started again, so out of 420 elders none of them can come up with this ...but after we agree on fiscal federalism u now go to the back and reject it...u see Yorouba never change.....1967 playing itself here

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by LoveMachine(m): 2:10am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

Not arguing just asking out interest. What are the drawbacks of regionalism?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Nobody: 2:18am On Jun 14, 2016
LoveMachine:

Not arguing just asking out interest. What are the drawbacks of regionalism?

With regionalism it will be easier for the country to disintegrate.

4 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by LoveMachine(m): 3:33am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

Gotcha. That's definitely a "drawback."

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by kenny987(f): 4:54am On Jun 14, 2016
I have a problem with this phrase 'True Federalism'. There is federalism, simple and short! Nigeria just succeeded in bastardising her own by enforcing unitary norms in a supposed fedral structure and that is the most prominent cause of majority of the issues we face today.

3 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by kenny987(f): 4:57am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

In a properly operated regional system of government, secession doesn't just happen, there are conditions which must be met even before getting to the stage of a referendum. I do not think there should be a reason or need to fear disintegration because no tribe or region or ethnic group must belong to Nigeria to survive or for Nigeria to survive.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Caseless: 6:35am On Jun 14, 2016
Keep this regionalism garbage off my face . I prefer state of residence to state of origin.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Caseless: 6:36am On Jun 14, 2016
kenny987:
[s]

In a properly operated regional system of government, secession doesn't just happen, there are conditions which must be met even before getting to the stage of a referendum. I do not think there should be a reason or need to fear disintegration because no tribe or region or ethnic group must belong to Nigeria to survive or for Nigeria to survive.[/s]
balderdash!
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 6:42am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

That's the problem. Unfortunately,none of us have crystal balls. We'd never know until we try. But hey,we can be optimistic.
quite true and rightly so
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 6:43am On Jun 14, 2016
Caseless:
Keep this regionalism garbage off my face . I prefer state of residence to state of origin.
cause you think it will favour you more.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Super Eagles Line-up Against Cameroon If President Buhari Were The Chief Coach / The First African To Attain The Post Of Field Marshal In The Army-photo / Bayelsa 2023 Governorship Election Live Monitoring, Updates, And Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.