Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,780 members, 7,806,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat (4135 Views)

University Of Ibadan Expels 80 Students / Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / 2013 F G C Cutoffs: Anambra 139, Imo 138, Yobe 2! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by ndelta1(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2009
Kwara Poly expels 212 students, 139 to repeat
By Demola Akinyemi
Friday, August 28, 2009

Ilorin – Tension, yesterday, enveloped Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, as the governing council announced the expulsion of 212 students who were found guilty of alleged involvement in examination malpractices in the last first semester examination while 139 others were asked to rewrite the examination in the 2009/2010 academic session. Already, fully armed stern looking policemen were on ground to avert possible break down of law and order by the affected students, while visitors to the polytechnic were thoroughly screened by the private security guards stationed at the gate.

The chairman governing council of the polytechnic, Engineer Ayinla Musa Yeketi, flanked by the newly appointed Rector, Alhaji Masud Elelu and other members of the governing council, told journalists at a press briefing that two of the five lecturers who faced the panel were found to be involved in the examination scandal and have been sacked by the governing council while the remaining three were exonerated

According to him, “the academic board recommended different levels of punishment for the students, depending on the degree of involvement. For instance, 139 students are to have the courses affected carried over to the 2009/2010 session.

“On the other hand, out of the five academic staff mentioned in connection with the infractions, three were found to be innocent, hence were recommended to be exonerated and recalled to the polytechnic and their official positions. However, two were found guilty, hence were recommended to be punished in accordance with the level of their involvements,” Yeketi explained.

“While one was recommended for dismissal, the other was to be warned and have his promotion deferred for 6 months,” he added.

Yeketi added that some ex-students were the key players in the examination fraud based on the outcome of the report of the committee that was forwarded to the academic board of the institution for consideration and later approved by the governing council of the polytechnic.

Consequently, he said one of such ex-students of the institution, who are key players in the act, had his HND certificate withdrawn, another barred from seeking admission to the polytechnic for his HND progamme, while the remaining two students involved in the act would be handed over to the police for further investigation on the matter.

Yeketi stressed that the governing council was committed to the academic excellence of the institution, noting that all measures that will enhance the academic programmes of the polytechnic would be put in place.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by SkyBlue1: 12:15pm On Aug 29, 2009
If the allegations are in fact true then this is a good and welcome development (to me anyway). I hope other institutions follow suit and I would be interested in learning how the two members of staff found guilty of wrong doing are punished.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by aaidel(m): 12:53pm On Aug 29, 2009
One was sacked abi u no see that one?
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by chosen04(f): 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2009

What are those students doing in that "SCHOOL", I Prefer not to go to school rather than go to SUCH YORUBA SCHOOL.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by Outstrip(f): 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
What has yoruba got to do with this. If you do not have anything sensible to say then just move along.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by broder: 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2009
watin those guymen go find 4 dat kind of village school self .

all dose village skool way boiz dey go base on admission wahala still dey form .

my broders dis na opportunity 4 orna to find way enter laspotech.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by ichommy(m): 6:41pm On Aug 29, 2009
i pray make my bro no dey among oooo
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by sjeezy8: 3:31am On Aug 30, 2009
chosen04:

What are those students doing in that "SCHOOL", I Prefer not to go to school rather than go to SUCH YORUBA SCHOOL.

you are very ignorant and stupid

build a school where ever you live cause right now unis are in yorubaland
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by Izunwa(m): 8:02am On Aug 30, 2009
Very shocking but definitely serves as deterrent to others, especially the one that has his certificate WITHDRAWN. Wetin u go tell ur PAPA now?
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by 3kay945(m): 11:36am On Aug 30, 2009
dey go about doing BIG BOIZ nd CHICK wit empty head, magomago enter, exam tyme is my favorite cos its the JUDGEMENT DAY, TERMINATOR IV for d blck+heads
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by qblaze(m): 11:52am On Aug 30, 2009
I met a pretty girl during my National Youth Service misadventure. I lost interest when she spelt detergent as [b]"ditajent." [/b]Our schools have to buckle up.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 31, 2009
Wao!This is the begining of good things to come in our tertiary institutions.Many of our so called graduates are bunch of dunce.I comended the governing council for taking that giant stride;our educational sector needs an urgent reformation.
Eh!i get one cousin for d poly o.i pray she no dey among.I'm out to hala her! 1 luv.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by princedam(m): 11:19am On Aug 31, 2009

well i don't need to blame her/he for saying dat becos if u look to dis person it's out of is mine and dis can of person dey will not school in there igboland, then dey be fake person grin
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by Nezan(m): 11:20am On Aug 31, 2009
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by Bee4real: 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2009
Insert Quote
Quote from: chosen04 on August 29, 2009, 03:37 PM

Naw o, so dis kind of pple stil dey 4 dis forum, I beg nairalanders are not meant 4 pple like u, just imagine wot u av just said, in Nigeria as today, d best higher institution n off course in Southwest, which is sit of yorubas, ui, unilag oau ibadan poly laspotech etc woptb do u mean, get away.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by ayobase(m): 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2009
Wetin concerns tribalism with this?

Nigeria Is Blessed!
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by OtunbaGm: 1:25am On Sep 01, 2009
This is a welcome idea.bringing back sanity to our education system. i hope all othe institution of higher learning will emulate this. I waz there some years back, i see,saw and conquered.

Say what, say what anything can happen, Sofi '98. Gone are the days when men were boys! Thank God for my dear KP!
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by funmeme(f): 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2009
I respect this school so much, cos if not for KP, i wud not be where i am today. UP KWARA POLY u guys re blessed. advice to all present student, learn with ur brains open, u will understand more when u get 2 labour market.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by festogift: 5:19pm On Sep 01, 2009
Am sure before the school authority can take these steps, that shows that they have got a standard evidence that can back up the aligation . this is a good ideal and welcome development . I hope other institutions follow suit and I would be interested in learning how the two members of staff found guilty of wrong doing are punished.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by RichyBlacK(m): 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
Moved from Politics to Education.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by bidemi12(m): 3:49pm On Sep 02, 2009
you people have not seen anything yet. I am a graduate of Public administration from Kwara state polytechnic. At that time P.A was a college diploma, it was not accredited so it was believed we who studied the course would find it difficult getting jobs. I and my fellow course mates were constantly ridiculed by other students from established departments. But alas as fate and chance would have it i spent only 6 months at home after graduation i got a very good job at an advertising firm and i even changed jobs like 6 times since then, as fate would have it again there was one particular chap who used to bug me as well in kwara poly that i even interviewed for a position in one of the companies i worked for. Come and see begging. It used to baffle me that most of my fellow students back then were struggling to get jobs until i started realising that most people are confused about the true reasons we go to college. We forget to to let the institution pass through us but instead pass through the institution. No matter how brilliant you are academicaly or how good you are in craming will not save you in the real world when faced with a panel in an interview room. The reason these guys cheat is that they have their priorities confused. You think because you had an upper or dinstinction it will be smooth sailing, well newsflash, you must defend that degree in the real world. As far as i am concerned let them cheat and get the degree. The way to deal with them is to focus on employers to look for applicative skills in individuals other than paper qualification. I am presently a soldier in the us army, this is the fastest way to get your citinzenship in less than 8 months and also get a good education with stupendous financial benefits. Many Nigeriangraduates from Nigeria here want to join but there is a high school (secondary school) exam called an asvab test you must pass. All of the graduates i have recomended have 10% overall scores, can you imagine? that is ten over one hundred. GOD HELP US.

P.s the new ps3 is out and the advertisers here in the US are ridiculing Nigeria to push the product on TV. it is so embarrasing, you need to see it to understanding it.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by angelhumy: 8:46am On Sep 03, 2009
hmmmm! atlast the wind has blow and we have seen the chicken bombom grin
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by akino(m): 7:37pm On Sep 03, 2009
This is not about tribal sentiment or educational sentiment but a true reflection of standard practice in educational institution.
I attended Kwarapoly and i am always proud to be a product of the institution.The act is good to sanitize our educational sector.
212 gone,139 to repeat.That is cool.certificate is not cheap you must merit it.

I thank God .I can always defend my certificate anywhere i find myself. KWARAPOLY, I REPRESENT U VERY WELL.
Re: Kwara Poly Expels 212 Students, 139 To Repeat by sidiqat: 2:29pm On Sep 05, 2009
i think chosen4 is one the students talking about. what yoruba got to with expelling and repeating indecent students. better check yourself.

(1) (Reply)

Unifecs - Oau, A Business Centre Or Resource Centre? / Amazing Exam Malpractice Technique (JAMB) / jjjjj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.