Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,895 members, 7,806,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad (25117 Views)

Boy Who Lost His Hands After Teacher's Brutality Gets New Artificial Hands. Pics / Tiantian: Chinese Baby Born 4 Years After The Death Of The Parents / Fire Accident Victim Rejected By General Hospitals In Lagos Dies (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by redsun(m): 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2016
Nigeria is a planet of apes,nothing works,except for rogues. People just run around like zombie flesh eaters with no sense of rationality or directions.The toxicity in the air is alarming and i wonder how those that do their business everyday in that horrific traffics survives.

The country is a death trap.Child birth for women is as dangerous today in nigeria as it could have been in the stone age.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Jacko01: 7:24pm On Jun 14, 2016
Op so sorry.... I can relate to ur loss

Nigeria health system is so messed up

The only thing we know how to do is child delivery and we suck at that as well

Many ppl have lost ppl over such 18th century processes

Nurses and matrons are gods

The hellfire waiting for nurses is doing press up

Resident doctors have saved countless lives cos they are the ones alongside registrars that actually work

Nigeria need changes

Govt is not our problem..... We ourself arr problems

Tomoro hospitals will strike asking for this and that

Wen dey get demands does it trickle down to you and me

No wonder cough big man don enta plane go UK

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
May God grant u the fortitude to bear ur loss. But the lesson is that never be poor old and sick in Nigeria. The country is a savage one.

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Baroba(m): 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2016
duduade:
So let the doctors and nurses come here to defend themselves.. Rubbish set of humans...

I say it's better to die in your house on your bed in the midst of your loved ones than to die in the midst of people who won't try their best to save you...

Bros, there are good doctors and nurses, like in every profession you will always get bad eggs.. I am a Dr in UK and I work with a lot of amazing Nigerian colleagues, I know there is deep rot in our healthcare system just like in every other institution in Nigeria.. Its totally uncalled for to call Medics and Nurses nonsense human beings, some of these people dedicate their lives working long graveyard shifts just to keep people alive, unfortunately it news like OP's you will always hear ( which he has every right to voice) but not countless lives that have been saved... One thing I strongly advocate is to have a system whereby bad health care staff are weeded out completely..

5 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by donifez(m): 7:28pm On Jun 14, 2016
After reading this right up, anger shook me to the marrow. They pay you salary yet you decide to be lackadaisical with your job. Human life is very important, They need to be replaced with people that have sympathy, how can you be working in an hospital with a concrete heart?

Sorry Sir for your loss, Things will only get better when we act.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by donifez(m): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2016
After reading this right up, anger shook me to the marrow. They pay you salary yet you decide to be lackadaisical with your job. Human life is very important, They need to be replaced with people that have sympathy, how can you be working in an hospital with a concrete heart?

Sorry Sir for your loss, Things will only get better when we act.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by femo86(m): 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2016
[quote author=armadeo post=46573990] I have gotten 3 bottles of wine and a package which contains imported tomatoes and other stuff from walk in patients.

This is what I live for.

gat me laughing...Keep up the good work doctor...God will surely reward you more..

3 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2016
Was reading about how the owner of Luna hospital was investigated for, 2 years for no licence even when he delivered siamese twins but to hold medics accountable for their negligence is an alien concept to the Nigerian medical board. Sad sums it up

2 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Jacko01: 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2016
armadeo:
Dude. Sorry about your loss. I completely understand how You feel.

Medical personnel don't understand that people who come to you comemfoe help and they are lackadaisical when it comes to doing thier JOBS!!

I feel sad whenever I read such, in my experience many are guilty fromnDrs to nurses to every other staff.

Let me say an experience I had that till shocks me till date. ( I am a doctor).

We had a patient who bled a lot following a surgery and was rushed back some days adyer discharge after he collapsed. I was rushing and grabbing everything in reach to resuscitate this man while doing all this the junior Dr attached to me told me it was after 4 that traffic would build up to her house that she wanted to know how long we would stay.

Believe me I was shocked into complete paralysis. I looked at the man I was managing thinking maybe I was hallucinating the entire episode and a gasping man wasn't under my hands. But There he was.

I ensured the severest punishment for her attitude was given to her ( not complete disqualification) but even my HOD who had never heard my voice above a certain pitch heard me scream when I was reporting the case.

I asked for her dismissal but was said to be too angry on that issue. Well the man survived. I know what I went through, how many times I ran from home to the hospital at night because of him, because that is what I am paid to do.

I think it a thing of pride were patients ask to see me personally just because of the attention I give to them. I am not blowing my trumpet. Just today alone I have gotten 3 bottles of wine and a package which contains imported tomatoes and other stuff from walk in patients.

This is what I live for.

We need to know why we are doing what we do. I always assume my patient to be my relative, some can be annoying but nobody goes to a mechanic to check a well functioning car.

God bless you

My bro is a medical doctor as well.... Though looking for residency.... I knw he has a heart like urs

God will bless you.... We need medical ppl dat actually have empathy

Our doctors will lose licences if they tried this overseas

Wat baffles me is that wen dese useless nurses and doctors go overseas they completely cjange.... But in nigeria they hav heart of stone

We need cjanges cos wat iv seeb is that no family wit a relative on brink of death ever acts up.... They humbled cos they just want a live saved n will literally lick ur shoe just to save their relativ life.... But our nurses dont see that.... They see dem as nuisances

4 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by slowbreeze(f): 7:32pm On Jun 14, 2016
My brother just take heart and leave the judgement for God.I feel ur pain as someone that has been in such situation.I just detest teaching hospitals..Imagine someone being booked for surgery and dey keep on postponing it week after week for one month,until the person gaveup.
I keep saying that there are so many deaths that can be avoided if a person is not in a Nigerian govt hospital..from lack of power,medications,oxygen,even the dirty environment can cause serious infection and death.Not to mention some of our health practitioners attitude to their jobs.
Dats y our politicians run abroad even to treat headache.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Jacko01: 7:35pm On Jun 14, 2016
Baroba:

Bros, there are good doctors and nurses, like in every profession you will always get bad eggs.. I am a Dr in UK and I work with a lot of amazing Nigerian colleagues, I know there is deep rot in our healthcare system just like in every other institution in Nigeria.. Its totally uncalled for to call Medics and Nurses nonsense human beings, some of these people dedicate their lives working long graveyard shifts just to keep people alive, unfortunately it news like OP's you will always hear ( which he has every right to voice) but not countless lives that have been saved... One thing I strongly advocate is to have a system whereby bad health care staff are weeded out completely..

Do not support ir colleagues here in nigeria
Ppl die of most silly ailments here
Becuase of buy rhis buy that
If u come to nigeria and practice ul do one of two things
Be sacking ur staff everyday for lackadisical attitude.... Or turn to them as well filled wif pride hangin all ur uk certificates on the wall

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by veave(f): 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2016
My brother, I sympathise with you. After my experience some years back when I went to do an apendisectomy... I have begged God to always keep me and everyone I know healthy...
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Jacko01: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
Hmmm

Like I always say, the problem with Nigerian hospitals is not the lack of infrastructures or equipments... It the assholes medical practitioners who lack human feelings

Only chose the carrier because of the prestige and not because they are humanists like they should be.

Op we shared the same story but mine is worse cos I lost my brother and my mum is not over it till today to these ediotic medical practitioners we have in Nigeria.

That's why I will never advice anyone to visit Nigerian hospitals or doctors, if they didnt kill you, they will add to your problem with their lackadaisical attitude especially at the general hospitals.
If you have small headache and you have a chance of traveling out to sane societies where doctors see humans as humans and not just another chicken for their next paycheck, please do.

You said the truth
Only ppl dat have not lost som1 to the syatem will come and defend doctors and nurses
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Emmaesty(f): 7:38pm On Jun 14, 2016
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
I had a Pretty terrible experience, this time it was my mom, she had a burst appendix and had to go for surgery, they kept tossing her about, and the rude nurses were just nothing to write about, in fact every staff of Gbagada General Hospital will rot in hell for premeditated Murder. We finally moved her to a private hospital and she got the best treatment , for which I was thankful for. GOVERMENT HOSPITALS AR USELESS!!.. I REPEAT GOVERNMENT HOSPITALS ARE USELESS. CC lagusta come and defend your useless colleagues
Gbagada general Hospital is the worst ever. Their doctors and nurses all need to be sacked
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2016
dear nairalander, I commiserate with you on the demise of your beloved father. May his gentle soul rest in peace. And may the almighty God gives you the fortitude to bear the irepairable loss.Yes your expectation was to get sympathy from healthcare workers, nope they emphatise .It's dangerous and unprofessional for them to show sympathy, not just in Nigeria but in advance countries. lot of differences between sympathy and empathy, yes you could complain bitterly cos you are at the receiving end.Drs follow a lot of protocols even in emergency set up. The dr dt referred your dad to oshodi might have his reason for doing so.May be he wanted a 3Ds or a spiral CT scan to aid his diagnosis. Most of the CT scan around the hospital might be the outdated one.In Nigeria, the drs are frustrated by the system, A terrible system that will never function until we practice a true fiscal federalism. This problem of negligence of duty is not limited to the hospitals, it stares at us in all the public institutions.
Let us keep praying for divine intervention for our nation.We will definitely overcome when the leaders of the nation begin to see the interest of the people as their own, not the other way as it's being practiced at the moment where the selfish politicians see their selfish interest as that of the people. May God see the people of Nigeria through. Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
Emmaesty:
Gbagada general Hospital is the worst ever. Their doctors and nurses all need to be sacked
If this was America, I would have walked into a store, purchase a semi automatic weapon and fire fatal shots at all the staff and then claim mental illnesses. Those people especially one young female doctor there deserve to grilled on a human suya making machine.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by adegeye38(m): 7:44pm On Jun 14, 2016
Those tests you were asked to carry out are just a way for the nurses and the doctors to make money most of them are unnecessary, but its a pity, i really feel for you , but thats the situation with Nigerian health system today, its in shambles and its ruined, even worse than the power sector, i also lost my dad to similar circumstances, i mean the sickened health system.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by prettymina(f): 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
So sorry abt ur dad...if only some health personnel could value people's life jst the way they value their degrees to earn buoyant salaries this life wld have been a better place in terms of health care..

My patient's health and wellbeing is my first priority...

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Emmaesty(f): 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
If this was America, I would have walked into a store, purchase a semi automatic weapon and fire fatal shots at all the staff and then claim mental illnesses. Those people especially one young female doctor there deserve to grilled on a human suya making machine.
Hardcore. There's also a particular young female doctor in Gopd that misdiagnosed me yesterday. All doctors there are lazy mofos. Once it's 1 o'clock, they pack their bags.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by thesicilian: 7:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
Androidvillaz:

We are yet to wake up to reality
Nigeria is still a long way to be called a developing country as far am concern
our growth is just not encouraging at all compared to the resource we have

I Pray For Nigeria
you're right. We are an underdeveloped, not a developing, country.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
Emmaesty:
Hardcore. There's also a particular young female doctor in Gopd that misdiagnosed me yesterday. All doctors there are lazy mofos. Once it's 1 o'clock, they pack their bags.
I wholly agree; But in all, I Pray to never ever ever ever have a Medical Emergency in Nigeria.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Ochinex(m): 7:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
People, dying any how.

Five prominent Nigerians who have died in the last 3weeks

https://chinnex..com.ng/2016/06/five-prominent-nigerians-who-have-died.html?m=1
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by delishpot: 7:55pm On Jun 14, 2016
Nurses and a stupid doctor killed my mom too. Those same nurses also killed another lady in the Ward. Most of them are Very wicked set of people.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 14, 2016
twoondei:
sorry about your loss.
A few things I'd like to point out.
LASUTH is probably one of the most efficient government hospitals around if you know your way around. probably the only teaching hospital in Nigeria where power hasn't gone off in about four years.
The very worst cases in Lagos end up in LASUTH, you were referred from ikorodu, there are 25 other general hospitals, with about a thousand private hospitals in Lagos that refer when they can no longer manage these cases.
It is unarguably the busiest too. Check data on Google.
Down to your suggestions
1. The nurses and doctors you see in that compound value lives so much but there's only so much they can do. The medical emergency has three to four nurses on every shift with at least 45 critically ill patients. They MUST write reports on whatever they do and the state of their patients on every shift so when litigation comes, like this one might head, something shows your hard work.

2. There is indeed a quality assurance unit in that hospital, there's even a "complain to me" unit that make sure you get prompt services when due. The ambulance problem should have been relayed to them. That's one of the things they help out with.
LASUTH has more than five functional ambulances and I also know some diagnostic centres bring their vans inside.
The doctor who asked for a CT from a particular place has his reasons; MECURE probably has the best machine and gives the clearest view around LASUTH.

3. on investigation of deaths in the hospital; Lagos government passed a law mandating hospitals to carry out autopsies on "coroner's cases". Simply put, anyone who's cause of death hasn't been medically established before death should be autopsied, this also includes any patient who dies within 24hours of admission in LASUTH. I know this rule is still in place but again,people get waivers from all sorts of places fir religious reasons and this has been a major cog in the wheels of this rule.
Deaths are discussed at departmental levels every week and doctors are scolded when found culpable. You can ask any LASUTH doctor you know.

4. A lot of policies should indeed be reviewed. More professionals need to be employed, a good number of times, doctors and nurses have collapsed on duty. Theres presently a restriction on employment at most levels of government now, so you see a doctor do a 36hr shift twice a week. Meanwhile, he has family members at home.

5. Monitoring has been addressed.

6. Interdepartmental collaboration does exist but the communication channels are not as effective. You have to drop a consult, or call the registrar over the phone who probably is in the theatre or attending to another surgical patient. There's no one assigned to see consults in particular.

7. Oversight functions: I also know that there's a health facility monitoring agency in Lagos and I know the chairman house committee on health, Hon. Olulade visits LASUTH from time to time without prior notification.

Overall, the goal is to make things work in Lagos.
Again, sorry about your loss. May God give you the fortitude to bear the loss.

And yes, I support your cause. #valuenigerians

Very insightful comment. You obviously work, or have worked in the system.

Very sorry about the needless loss of life and extend my condolences to the man concerned in this case.

I beg to disagree on your point about the CT scan. It is an absolute shame and arguably criminal that a doctor should have to refer a patient from a TEACHING HOSPITAL to a PRIVATE setup for any scan. In a country like Nigeria I just cannot fathom that it is the tertiary hospitals/institutions that have the best doctors but not the best investigative facilities. You do not have to be a dog to smell the rot inherent in this unfortunate reality. I was completely and totally lost when this happened to a relative who saw a specialist at the National Hospital, Abuja and she was referred to an outside lab for an Echocardiogram - from what is supposed to be the best hospital in our NATIONAL CAPITAL!

There is still a lot of hard work to do before we improve things. The problem is that there are many people (and counting) who are too uneducated, too religious and too tribalistic. Lagos seems to be forging ahead compared to the rest of the country mostly because your leaders are the most educated and most practically exposed to how other countries, especially Britain, maintain their health sectors.

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by jordinsparkles(f): 8:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
Hospitals in Nigeria especially the government ones, they are all useless. Sorry brother! This is sad.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Joskid25: 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2016
chiedu7:
[size=14pt]Under Buhari Nigeria is [/size]
..........what does this have to do with buhari.......
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by mrjojo: 8:39pm On Jun 14, 2016
It so difficult to be a Nigerian. God pls grant me and my family perfect health abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by ochiq(m): 8:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
That's the story of Nigeria! From health sector to transportation(aviation, road, n water), roads, agriculture, edution, etc!!! Its is the same story of Neglect, corruption and crass incompetence, with very little or no feelings for human lives that's always at the receiving end! Who will save NIGERIA
drered:

Source: http://valuenigerians.org/?p=1

2 Likes

Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by osinachi82: 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2016
This is really sad. Op sorry for your loss. The attitude of our public health workers is really a thing to worry about and i think the government needs to declare an emergency in that sector also people should be held acccountable for avoidable deaths like this.

There are some public health professionals though that stand out and do the job for the love rather than money. Worthy of note is a fine orthopaedician i once encountered at the igbobi hospital.......Dr Osagie. I think he now practices in abeokuta. God bless doctors like him.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Prettiepearlz(f): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
armadeo:

Medical personnel don't understand that people who come to you comemfoe help and they are lackadaisical when it comes to doing thier JOBS!!

I feel sad whenever I read such, in my experience many are guilty fromnDrs to nurses to every other staff.

We had a patient who bled a lot following a surgery and was rushed back some days adyer discharge after he collapsed. I was rushing and grabbing everything in reach to resuscitate this man while doing all this the junior Dr attached to me told me it was after 4 that traffic would build up to her house that she wanted to know how long we would stay.

Believe me I was shocked into complete paralysis. I looked at the man I was managing thinking maybe I was hallucinating the entire episode and a gasping man wasn't under my hands. But There he was.

I ensured the severest punishment for her attitude was given to her ( not complete disqualification) but even my HOD who had never heard my voice above a certain pitch heard me scream when I was reporting the case.

I asked for her dismissal but was said to be too angry on that issue. Well the man survived. I know what I went through, how many times I ran from home to the hospital at night because of him, because that is what I am paid to do.

I think it a thing of pride were patients ask to see me personally just because of the attention I give to them. I am not blowing my trumpet. Just today alone I have gotten 3 bottles of wine and a package which contains imported tomatoes and other stuff from walk in patients.

This is what I live for.

We need to know why we are doing what we do. I always assume my patient to be my relative, some can be annoying but nobody goes to a mechanic to check a well functioning car.
God bless you sir. The sky isn't just your limits, you will go higher in your profession and expect more gifts because you deserve it and more. Don't stop doing good.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by chival(f): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
thorpido:
Sorry o,Op.We all have to improve as a nation and healthcare workers can do more.
There are bottlenecks that delay services in government hospitals which should be removed.A case in point is not allowing patients to be taken out without government hospital ambulance when they are not enough.
I would have advised you go to a private hospital in your situation.

Those are not a lot different. The truth is health care in Nigeria is really poor. My dad went through something similar to the OP's narration, if not worse, and in the same hospital ironically. We eventually lost him due to negligence and wrong diagnosis, so I understand the pain the OP is going through.

Well, like we always say, may God comfort you and all those he left behind. I really wish something more could be done. We are a rather placid and complacent people and therein lies the problem.
Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by Prettiepearlz(f): 8:51pm On Jun 14, 2016
armadeo:

This is what I live for.

God bless you sir. The sky isn't just your limits, you will go higher in your profession and expect more gifts because you deserve it and more. Don't stop doing good. Your reward is coming and don't worry baba God will pick up your call soon like you prayed for. Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings / Drunk Naval Officer Shoots 3 People In Lagos / LASG Raises Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Run-Away COVID-19 Positive Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.