Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

How To Steer Your Car (Images) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Steer Your Car (Images) (20553 Views)

₦70m: Amazing Images Of Land Rover Discovery Converted Into A Mobile Kitchen / 2013 C300 4matic Benz Steering Hard To Steer... / See Why You Should Mind What You Keep In Your Car Especially In Hot Weather (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
Do you know how to steer your own car? There are many sorts of steering techniques to use. This article will demonstrate the combination of techniques which will prove easiest and most efficient.

6 Likes

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 4:55pm On Jun 14, 2016
When driving in a straight line, keep your hands at the 9:15 position: Both sides of the wheel, in the center. This will allow for optimal control, safety, "steerability" and access to controls (such as lights, signals, even a stick shift). On the road, keep the thumbs hooked inside the wheel, in their designated location, over the cross brace of the wheel or under the little "bumps" in the 10 and 2 hour positions. If you go off road, put the thumbs on the rim.
Note that the grip should be just tight enough the keep the wheel under control; a relaxed grip gives less fatigue and more feedback. This relaxed but firm grip should be maintained even during sharp corners.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 4:57pm On Jun 14, 2016
When driving in a generally straight line, or through small, flat and fast curves, hold the wheel at 9:15, and turn it gently sideways as necessary. Do the same in emergencies when the wheel must be turned quickly; this should provide you with enough leverage. Note you can put in 270 degrees of steering, not just 190. Practice this.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2016
When steering through most corners, though, it is preferable that you pull the wheel, with the hand in the direction of the corner, without pushing it. For most city corners, turning can be done by moving the wheel about 180 degrees in most cars. For this maneuver, you will have to place the pulling hand just above the opposite hand, while that hand remains stationary. Then, pull with the leading hand until it returns to where it came from at the 9 or 3 hour position accordingly. The opposite hand allows the rim to slide under it in a controlled manner. To bring it back straight, the opposite hand goes over,and then pulls back. Steering in this case should be carried out quite quickly (without turning it excessively).

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 4:59pm On Jun 14, 2016
For sharper corners, or in cars with a greater lock-to-lock ratio (like trucks), the pulling hand goes on the bottom of the wheel, upside down, gripping it. It then pulls under the stationary hand, back to the 9 and 3 position while turning. Two such pulls allow you to negotiate a tight U-Turn.

1 Like

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by AutosBay(m): 5:00pm On Jun 14, 2016
When making slow-speed parking maneuvering, press the palm of the pulling hand against the wheel to steer it round and round. If the car has no power steering, do the same maneuvering by shuffling your hands: pull down with one hand, push up with the other hand on the other side of the wheel, while sliding the other hand back up, ready to pull down again.
http://m.wikihow.com/Steer-Your-Car

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by OlujobaSamuel: 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
autosbay, abeg how about we wey love to dey show off on top wheel, how should we hold the steering? me no too like the 2hands jare, the thing no dey quick turn but 1hand fit make me turn Transporter for DREAMLAND.

3 Likes

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by shaddi(m): 3:40am On Jun 15, 2016
[size=22pt]tell that to a Furious danfo driver while he uses his thumb to steer while holding a bottle of orijin bitters at the other hand [/size]

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by lonelydora: 4:11am On Jun 15, 2016
What of those bus/taxi drivers that use only one hand to hold the steering while bringing out one hand from the window?

Or how do you explain this to those bus/taxi drivers that fix steering wheel handle.

1 Like

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Jimadey(f): 6:54am On Jun 15, 2016
This clearly not for me, am another James bond on the loose

7 Likes

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Aviero: 6:55am On Jun 15, 2016
Na one hand o. Whether the corner sharp or e no sharp, or pothole or no pothole, my one hand will do the thing.

Two hands Na stress.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by lonelydora: 6:55am On Jun 15, 2016
Jimadey:
This clearly not for me, am another James bond on the loose

Put your pix let's confirm. grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by wengerjay(m): 6:56am On Jun 15, 2016
Good
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 15, 2016
Believe me, i don't even like driving.cool
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by simplemach(m): 6:56am On Jun 15, 2016
for personal wen get car na abi?

1 Like

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Nutase: 6:56am On Jun 15, 2016
shocked
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Qmerit(m): 6:58am On Jun 15, 2016
Educative!!! Thanks Op
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Innodon(m): 6:58am On Jun 15, 2016
Before nko
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by tdayof(m): 6:59am On Jun 15, 2016
Haha nice post. When I was home early this year, I was learning but my dad was complaining about how I steer the car and to me I was like so there is a particular way to handle the steering angry
Nice post op.

1 Like

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by moscobabs(m): 6:59am On Jun 15, 2016
StillBrandnew:
bro driving is fun ...after sex then its driving o.

maybe u don't have car sa

1 Like

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Houseofglam7(f): 6:59am On Jun 15, 2016
Issorait

Fuq dah shiii
I dey go office angry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Funjosh(m): 7:00am On Jun 15, 2016
lonelydora:
What of those bus/taxi drivers that use only one hand to hold the steering while bringing out one hand from the window?

Or how do you explain this to those bus/taxi drivers that fix steering wheel handle.

This is meant for responsible drivers and not those guys cool

4 Likes

Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 15, 2016
moscobabs:
bro driving is fun ...after sex then its driving o.
maybe u don't have car sa
I crashed too many cars in my hay days.
I tend to loose concentration when my mind wanders away.
Got it?
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Iammelvin(m): 7:03am On Jun 15, 2016
Nice one op
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by seyema(m): 7:06am On Jun 15, 2016
Nice one but I hate driving with two hands
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Evidence1000(m): 7:08am On Jun 15, 2016
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b]Informative smiley
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Paddy247: 7:09am On Jun 15, 2016
StillBrandnew:

yeah??
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Obinna53: 7:10am On Jun 15, 2016
Cool,it really helped
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by Israellb(m): 7:14am On Jun 15, 2016
Nice on OP, nice one
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by tolexy111: 7:15am On Jun 15, 2016
Lol
Re: How To Steer Your Car (Images) by jotax(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2016
Na learners and old people dey drive with two hands na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advised Against Honda Accord.... / Advice On First Car To Buy / Must Car Tires Be Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.