Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,580 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? (1079 Views)

Introduction To Local Server (127.0.0.1) Tutorial For Beginners with pictures / Help I Need A Local Server To Test Some Joomla 2.5 Template On My Computer / Tool To Send Mail To Bulk Email Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 29, 2009
I am working on a rather difficult project (as usual - lazy me), that i need to send mails out.
So, here i was thinking that if i can send the emails to say a local dbase, it will be easier and faster
for test purposes! but that does not appear to be as easy as it seems! Any ideas?
The best option i seem to have is to use exim, sendmail or whatever, smtp server. . . . . . . . . . .

Is there no way i can say: mail(. . . . . .); and have it store maybe in a file or somewhere?
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by yawatide(f): 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2009
speaking for myself, I don't understand your post. Try and break it down for the slow ones like me to understand, e jo cool
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by carbony: 6:45pm On Aug 29, 2009
do you want to send mail to email address and to database or what's the prob?
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 29, 2009
During web development on my local server. I may need to send mass emails or whatever. And i need to see if the contents addresses and all
are properly formatted and all that before putting it all online.
Now what i usually do is to configure this fake sendmail or smtp server to send it, then i can retrieve with outlook express, but that only works
if i am online,
so now my question is this, is there a way to intercept the mails being sent out by the php mail function to save it to a file or database during development. Ordinarily, if you do not configure anything, the mail function will fail if you try using it in offline mode.
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Cactus(m): 8:44am On Aug 30, 2009
hm I dont see a problem here.

You know what your mail function is going to look like. So instead for now, why dont you replace the mail function with an insert function all formatted etc?
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 30, 2009
Cactus:

hm I dont see a problem here.

You know what your mail function is going to look like. So instead for now, why dont you replace the mail function with an insert function all formatted etc?
That is exactly the problem, replacing the mail function. If for instance i am using joomla, i need to tweak that or if i am using any library.
I have to keep replacing and re-replacing.
Anyway, i have solved the problem. I studied how exim and fake sendmail works. They use the technique called piping, so i created a c++ application
and configured my local server sendmail path to it. So it receives the emails and stores them in a local text file.

This works universally for joomla and all. And i do not need to replace mail function. There was a script i created earlier that checks if you are on local server so that it stores in dbase or if you are online sends normally. But with external cms and all that, it is rather difficult to implement.
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Cactus(m): 11:06am On Aug 30, 2009
ok that explains things now.

So i guess you want to create different classes (so to speak) that will be reusable.

Then that makes sense
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 30, 2009
Exactly. I will find a way to synchronize the mail to a php script and let the users decide what they want to do next with it.

Let me summarize in details:

- A php script sends out mail using the regular mail function in any php script on your local server.
- The small software i just made grabs the email and saves it to a local file (for now)

I have to switch to more serious tasks so i wont start dodging phone calls tomorow. See you folks later.
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by fundad: 4:05pm On Sep 15, 2009
need a friend calle on 08053672256
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by nitation(m): 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2009
Have you tried Mercury mail server? I think a copy is bundled with Xampp. I don't know about other web servers.

- nitation
Re: How Do I Send Mail To My Local Server Dbase? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 15, 2009
this solution i made has simplified things, because in the end, mails sent out by my php mail() function gets piped to another php script
which decides what you wish to do with the mail, in my own case, i chose to store it in dbase. In the end the program works like that piping
stuff in cpanel that newsletters and so on make use of except that this one works offline on development server.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I A Dd Free Sms Script To My Site / Facebook Launch Video Chat: First Tests Produce Buggy Results / Steps On How To Add A Wibiya Toolbar To Your Blog/website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.