Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,065 members, 7,807,194 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? (6372 Views)

Femi Gbajabiamila Gives Keke, Motorcycles To Members Of His Constituency / Reps Query N250,000 Per Sitting Allowance Of SWA Board Members / Of What Benefit Is Signing Of The 2016 Budget To The Common Man On The Street? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by kinibigdeal(m): 12:00am On Jun 15, 2016
I think it is high time we start asking questions. Every community have their own representatives, the function of each representative is to collate the problems of the people and table it to the chambers (In a lay man language please). Also the person who is elected by the public has got a duty to move from place to place in his constituency, enquire the difficulties of the people in order to recommend the necessary help or benefits to be done to the public in his constituency, to the Government. In this process, he had to incur lot of expenditure on account of moving from one place to another and also speaking with various important village heads, Government officers in this constituency. On such account some allowance are set aside for such representatives. The question is what are they doing with the allowance?

The constituency allowance is 200% of the basic salary of the representative. Are they using it for the said purpose?

5 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by mikolo80: 12:48am On Jun 15, 2016
kinibigdeal:
I think it is high time we start asking questions. Every community have their own representatives, the function of each representative is to collate the problems of the people and table it to the chambers (In a lay man language please). Also the person who is elected by the public has got a duty to move from place to place in his constituency, enquire the difficulties of the people in order to recommend the necessary help or benefits to be done to the public in his constituency, to the Government. In this process, he had to incur lot of expenditure on account of moving from one place to another and also speaking with various important village heads, Government officers in this constituency. On such account some allowance are set aside for such representatives. The question is what are they doing with the allowance?

The constituency allowance is 200% of the basic salary of the representative. Are they using it for the said purpose?
for sharing rice na or in my case tractors or fertiliser

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by mikolo80: 12:49am On Jun 15, 2016
kinibigdeal:

for sharing rice na or in my case tractors or fertiliser

Not their fault their ppl prefer rice to real development

2 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by TPAND(f): 5:00am On Jun 15, 2016
Of course they are. All the Christmas rice and branded shirts you get, the billboards you see wishing you merry Christmas or sending you appreciation messages. That's where it goes grin grin

Constituency allowance ko, constituency egunje ni.

I still say this, there is something constitutionally wrong with our constitution. Nigeria doesn't only need restructuring but also overhauling

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by horlabiyi(m): 5:12am On Jun 15, 2016
I think this is the money they use for empowerment like sharing tractors, motorcycle, grounding machines etc but I'm sure they get more than what they give out.

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by NigerDeltan(m): 8:32am On Jun 15, 2016
Constituency Allowance is as useless as the letter "P" in psychology

As useless as the premium times published Buhari's SSCE result

As useless as PDP currently

As useless as Aisha Alhassan(Mama Taraba) in Buhari's cabinet

3 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by biggz82: 8:33am On Jun 15, 2016
I jux say make i stroll pass
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Proffdada: 8:33am On Jun 15, 2016
In my early years, my maths teacher taught me allowance is calculated from earnings but this politicians seem to have derived a new formula undecided

5 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Jimadey(f): 8:34am On Jun 15, 2016
horlabiyi:
That's where money is
It's for the law makers
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by rose54321: 8:34am On Jun 15, 2016
Until We start holding individuals in ELECTED offices accountable, they will keep taking us on a ride.

When last have we, or rather have we ever, individually or collectively, held a peaceful protest against a senator or house of representative member...I know I haven't....

Majority don't attend plenary, does our media say anything NO - TV stations, newsletters and other public voices do nothing. Such platforms should be used to display their lackadaisical attitude to work.

We tolerate them and so they continue to ignore us.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by saintfaculty(m): 8:35am On Jun 15, 2016
[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Akosxxx(m): 8:36am On Jun 15, 2016
Nigerian Lawmakers and politicians generally are one of the highest paid in the Nation as at now. Politics & affiliated offices should be made less lucrative and political office holders hold accountable.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Respect55(m): 8:37am On Jun 15, 2016
Giving out bikes on 'hire-purchase' basis to the youths

Insensitive reps. Blood suckers
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by davibid: 8:37am On Jun 15, 2016
cry

I swear, I dey weep for 9ja...

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by apesinola001: 8:37am On Jun 15, 2016
money for capital projects in various places(constituencies) where they were elected from.
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Segadem(m): 8:38am On Jun 15, 2016
Benefit to their own family only
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Amanwulu1(m): 8:38am On Jun 15, 2016
It is supposed to bring d dividend of democracy closer to their constituents but greediness and selfishness won't let it happen.
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by modath(f): 8:38am On Jun 15, 2016
See this OP oo

1. It's used to settle bank loans (sometimes godfathers' funds) taken by aspirants to "settle" party delegates before tickets to run were given to them.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/06/06/lawmakers-trapped-bank-debt-used-2015-elections/

https://www.naij.com/851033-banks-harass-lawmakers-funds-borrowed-2015-elections.html

2. It's also used to keep the party stalwarts happy so they don't snatch their seat and offer to the next highest bidder... cheesy

Nigeria I hail thee. cool

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Pavore9: 8:39am On Jun 15, 2016
Who holds them accountable for it? That allowance is subject to their conscience.

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by nancybrown(f): 8:39am On Jun 15, 2016
Is dat what dis country needs nw?. pls dey should tink of ways 2 hlp dis great country 2 grow big nd beta. by the way, who the allowances EPP?
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by hatersgodie: 8:40am On Jun 15, 2016
NigerDeltan:
Constituency Allowance is as useless as the letter "P" in psychology

As useless as the premium times published Buhari's SSCE result

As useless as PDP currently

As useless as Aisha Alhassan(Mama Taraba) in Buhari's cabinet
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by lightheart(m): 8:42am On Jun 15, 2016
Sad.

Am I the only who thinks the word 'masses' is derogatory? 'Citizens' got more honour. angry
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Infinitikoncept(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2016
All those calling on the head of FG and state governors. Its time for us to look into our immediate zone and make these guys accountable. They are easier reached but the truth is most of the money allocated even for constituency project hidden in our secret cult budget are mostly shared by party chieftains and kingpins. The rest goes into youth empowerment program that cost less than 1M annually for party members affiliate, sharing rice and spraying in functions

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by babamoha(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2016
Since the government is aware that they cant touch every consistuency accordingly that is why they gave the people representing those area the right to provide their citizens what they are in need of so by that they gave them money to use for tangible project but reverse is the case instead of using the money for meaniful things the pockets 90% of the fund and spend the rest on their community.
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by youngalex(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2016
Am happy Nigerians are beginning to hold their leaders accountable not singing praises like when it is obvious they are suffering,...This administration budgeted #100m for Constitiency Project for the Lower Chamber (House of Reps) and #200m for Senate...These people will come back and share motorcycles and sewing machine that will spoil within 1 year and tag it "Community Empowerment Programme"....So So Pathetic
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Anijay1212(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2016
Politician's pocket money.
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Firefire(m): 8:44am On Jun 15, 2016
Very Good Questions (VGQ)
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by jammyunn(m): 8:45am On Jun 15, 2016
they dig borehole, no? though it stops after a few weeks of flamboyant commissioning.
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by hpk(m): 8:45am On Jun 15, 2016
It is for "Senior Man Your Boy Loyal" #RiversState
Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Firefire(m): 8:45am On Jun 15, 2016
kinibigdeal:

It's high time we removed all the fraudulent means of enriching few people at the expense of the masses.

The constituency allowance paid to law makers in Nigeria is fraudulent and high level corruption practice.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion - Lawmaker's Constituency Allowance, Of What Benefit To The Masses? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 15, 2016
That allowance is a grand scam! Nig. Urgently needs surgery!

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Photos Of President Buhari With Wife Arriving Beijing China / Aggrieved senators may demand probe of N264bn budget hike / Jackson Ude Of Pointblanknews Is My Member - Nigeria Gay Pastor Rev Rowland Jide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.