Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,444 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 (9857 Views)

LandRover Unveils Its Most Expensive Model Ever,£177k RangeRover SVAutobiograhy / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) / Guy Crushes Audi All Road And Kia Spectra With A Landrover Defender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 9:05am On Jun 15, 2016
Goodday all,
Please need advise on purchase of the above mentioned vehicle.
It is a 1996 model previously used by a white man before he left the countr. Price is N1.7 million.

Do you think it is a good buy based on the attached pictures? Gurus and Need your candid opinions,pleas.

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 9:11am On Jun 15, 2016
More pictures

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 9:16am On Jun 15, 2016
More pics

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Ofemmanu1: 9:23am On Jun 15, 2016
1.7m for this?! A toyota rav4 2010 would be a better deal.

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 9:41am On Jun 15, 2016
Ofemmanu1:
1.7m for this?!
A toyota rav4 2010 would be a better deal.
grin

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by chris81964(m): 9:58am On Jun 15, 2016
DUNKA:
Goodday all,
It is a 1996 model previously used by a white man before he left the countr. Price is N1.7 million.

Do you think it is a good buy based on the attached pictures? Gurus and Need your candid opinions,pleas.
I try not to usually make social commentary. What does used by a white man imply?

4 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 15, 2016
Ofemmanu1:
1.7m for this?!

Urmm, no. A better deal in terms of what? You don't simply dismiss the choice of a poster, without giving reasons. You're posting based upon what you like, which is not what this thread is all about. A RAV4 is very different to a Defender, the average person looking at a Defender would not be interested in a RAV4.

A Toyota RAV4 is not a proper off-roader. It's a soft reader in AWD guise, and just a regular car with a raised platform as a FWD. A RAV4 will not cope with the roads the Landrover Defender would, even if it's switched to 2WD.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 15, 2016
chris81964:

I try not to usually make social commentary. What does used by a white man imply?

The thread starter stressing that this Landrover Defender was previously used by a Caucasian is pretty valid.

You may not wish to hear this, but it's a fact the average Nigerian has rubbish maintenance culture. They will run a good car into the ground in less than a year. Why do you think a 2013 BMW 535D imported from Germany to Nigeria suddenly "goes wrong" less than a year later? Or the interior of a 2010 Nigerian used Toyota Corolla looks like a wild dog has been sleeping in it?

This is without even starting on the short cuts the average Nigerian vehicle owner has taken, leaving the car a ruin.

The Landrover Defender in discussion here is a 1996 model, so it's almost 21-years-old. Look at the exterior, and the interior, with its light grey cloth seats! If this truck was used by a Nigerian, the chances are you wouldn't even be able to discern what colour the seats originally were, they would be that filthy, and ripped. Bearing in mind, a Defender's main purpose is mud-plugging, where even the carpets would be shot, this one is pretty clean. A quick wash and detail, and it would look like it rolled off the production line 2 years ago.

I would rather buy a 10-year-old vehicle, with 100,000 miles which had previously been owned and used by a Caucasian, than a similar 3-year-old one with 30,000 miles that had been beat on by a Nigerian owner.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by ivoryhouse(m): 11:40am On Jun 15, 2016
BUY IT! If he has a second one please let me know via private message. Good one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Ofemmanu1: 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2016
Siena:

Urmm, no. A better deal in terms of what? You don't simply dismiss the choice of a poster, without giving reasons. You're posting based upon what you like, which is not what this thread is all about. A RAV4 is very different to a Defender, the average person looking at a Defender would not be interested in a RAV4.

A Toyota RAV4 is not a proper off-roader. It's a soft reader in AWD guise, and just a regular car with a raised platform as a FWD. A RAV4 will not cope with the roads the Landrover Defender would, even if it's switched to 2WD.
I give it to you,
You won.
Buh, considering other factors such as Luxury, maintenance, fuel economy etc. with N1.7m, one can get a used modern SUV that is better than the poor old defender.
Perhaps the op is from the red-mud godforsaken eroded SE of Niger.
The defender has got no place in a mega city like Lagos City.
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
ivoryhouse:
BUY IT! If he has a second one please let me know via private message. Good one

I was waiting for you, Ivory, at the mention of Landrover Defender, you'd be here like a shot, like a shark tasking blood in the ocean 8 kilometres away. wink

How is life treating you?
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Ofemmanu1:

I give it to you,
You won.
Buh, considering other factors such as Luxury, maintenance, fuel economy etc. with N1.7m, one can get a used modern SUV that is better than the poor old defender.
with the way you type, am not sure u are upto.... Well lets leave it. Am pretty sure if a Nigerian purchased Tupac's Hummer H1 Alpha, you will say that person is stupid for not spending the money on a Venza, that's if you wont tag the person as being poor.

3 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Ofemmanu1: 12:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
Bossforeva:
with the way you type, am not sure u are upto.... Well lets leave it. Am pretty sure if a Nigerian purchased Tupac's Hummer H1 Alpha, you will say that person is stupid for not spending the money on a Venza, if you wont tag the person as poor.
With the way you reason, i'm sure you're over..
How will a sane human compare a Tupac's hummer H1 worth over $350k with a lowly Toyota Venza of $15k?!
Where's the logic in that as regard this thread?
You're entitled to your opinion tho.
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
Ofemmanu1:

I give it to you,
You won.

Come on, bro!

The Defender has no place in Lagos? This makes you sound elitist, which I hope you're not.

Luxury, fuel economy etc wouldn't pull you out of a muddy bog. Light-weight, solid axles, high ground clearance and a torquey Diesel engine. The Defender is a vehicle with a purpose. The more modern RAV4 is a glorified Corolla on steroids, and poor off road.

And maintenance is so easy on the Defender. It's a pretty basic vehicle, with the majority of components easily accessible without the need to pull the engine out. It also has very rudimentary and basic electricals, with no more than 3 ECU's - engine, airbag and ABS. The 1996 models had ABS as an option, so it wasn't standard, leaving 2 likely ECU's. If you've never driven a Defender, you wouldn't really understand the appeal it has as a rugged, no-nonsense or frills Utility Vehicle.

Talk to Ivory, he'll fill you in. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 15, 2016
Bossforeva:
with the way you type, am not sure u are upto.... Well lets leave it. Am pretty sure if a Nigerian purchased Tupac's Hummer H1 Alpha, you will say that person is stupid for not spending the money on a Venza, that's if you wont tag the person as being poor.

Boss, this post of yours really cracked me up. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Ofemmanu1: 1:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
Siena:

Come on, bro!

The Defender has no place in Lagos? This makes you sound elitist, which I hope you're not.

Luxury, fuel economy etc wouldn't pull you out of a muddy bog. Light-weight, solid axles, high ground clearance and a torquey Diesel engine. The Defender is a vehicle with a purpose. The more modern RAV4 is a glorified Corolla on steroids, and poor off road.

And maintenance is so easy on the Defender. It's a pretty basic vehicle, with the majority of components easily accessible without the need to pull the engine out. It also has very rudimentary and basic electricals, with no more than 3 ECU's - engine, airbag and ABS. The 1996 models had ABS as an option, so it wasn't standard, leaving 2 likely ECU's. If you've never driven a Defender, you wouldn't really understand the appeal it has as a rugged, no-nonsense or frills Utility Vehicle.

Talk to Ivory, he'll fill you in. wink
Never driven a defender tho.
Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 3:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
chris81964:

just to give the background to show that it was well maintained

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by chris81964(m): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
Siena:

The thread starter stressing that this Landrover Defender was previously used by a Caucasian is pretty valid.

You may not wish to hear this, but it's a fact the average Nigerian has rubbish maintenance culture. They will run a good car into the ground in less than a year. Why do you think a 2013 BMW 535D imported from Germany to Nigeria suddenly "goes wrong" less than a year later? Or the interior of a 2010 Nigerian used Toyota Corolla looks like a wild dog has been sleeping in it?

This is without even starting on the short cuts the average Nigerian vehicle owner has taken, leaving the car a ruin.

The Landrover Defender in discussion here is a 1996 model, so it's almost 21-years-old. Look at the exterior, and the interior, with its light grey cloth seats! If this truck was used by a Nigerian, the chances are you wouldn't even be able to discern what colour the seats originally were, they would be that filthy, and ripped. Bearing in mind, a Defender's main purpose is mud-plugging, where even the carpets would be shot, this one is pretty clean. A quick wash and detail, and it would look like it rolled off the production line 2 years ago.

I would rather buy a 10-year-old vehicle, with 100,000 miles which had previously been owned and used by a Caucasian, than a similar 3-year-old one with 30,000 miles that had been beat on by a Nigerian owner.

WOW. Very sad comment.A poor person white or black does not maintain their cars. The expatriates you have here are not poor. By the same token they have no real reason to go beyond basic maintenance because they will be leaving that car behind.
Put comments in proper context. Nigeria does not need external sources to put her down. We do a phenomenal job at that.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
chris81964:
WOW. Very sad comment.A poor person white or black does not maintain their cars. The expatriates you have here are not poor. By the same token they have no real reason to go beyond basic maintenance because they will be leaving that car behind.
Put comments in proper context. Nigeria does not need external sources to put her down. We do a phenomenal job at that.

Sad or not, that is my take on things. The averge Nigerian vehicle operator or owner doesn't even bother with the basic maintenance, and when they can be bothered, they use rubbish parts, and persons not qualified to work on a wheelbarrow.

The same applies to Nigerians outside Nigeria. They destroy their cars by cutting corners with maintenance. They generally have this "manage it", driving a car with the dash all lit up, just because it still drives. I work on cars here driven by Nigerians and Caucasians, and there's a marked difference.

My comments are in context, the 20-year-old Landrover Defender is testament to that. If you put emotion aside, and put this sense of patriotism aside, you too will see exactly where I'm coming from.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by chris81964(m): 8:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
Siena:

Sad or not, that is my take on things. The averge Nigerian vehicle operator or owner doesn't even bother with the basic maintenance, and when they can be bothered, they use rubbish parts, and persons not qualified to work on a wheelbarrow.

The same applies to Nigerians outside Nigeria. They destroy their cars by cutting corners with maintenance. They generally have this "manage it", driving a car with the dash all lit up, just because it still drives. I work on cars here driven by Nigerians and Caucasians, and there's a marked difference.

My comments are in context, the 20-year-old Landrover Defender is testament to that. If you put emotion aside, and put this sense of patriotism aside, you too will see exactly where I'm coming from.

No sentiments or patrotisim involved and I can't see where you are coming from.
You must hang out with some poor Nigerians.
The Nigerians I know here and in the US where I live take their cars to the dealer or a reputable mechanic. Your personal experience can't be a barometer by which you judge Nigerians or your so called caucasians.
I do work on cars as a hobby and I have a full compliment of tools , hydraulic jack and stands. However I know my limits. Major repairs go to an ASE certified shop or the dealer. I also sold cars in my past life at a Multi manufacturer dealership in Clifton NJ. I can tell you that my experience is very different from yours.
Poor people have poor habits. It does not matter what color they are.

5 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
chris81964:

No sentiments or patrotisim involved and I can't see where you are coming from.
You must hang out with some poor Nigerians.
The Nigerians I know here and in the US where I live take their cars to the dealer or a reputable mechanic. Your personal experience can't be a barometer by which you judge Nigerians or your so called caucasians.
I do work on cars as a hobby and I have a full compliment of tools , hydraulic jack and stands. However I know my limits. Major repairs go to an ASE certified shop or the dealer. I also sold cars in my past life at a Multi manufacturer dealership in Clifton NJ. I can tell you that my experience is very different from yours.
Poor people have poor habits. It does not matter what color they are.

Great. I guess every Nigerian I know must be poor.

My opinion still stands - the average Nigerian's vehicle maintenance culture is poor. This is my opinion, which I'm entitled to, the same way you're entitled to yours.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by chris81964(m): 8:30pm On Jun 15, 2016
DUNKA:
Goodday all,

Where I live they command a high resale because of their rarity. However the Australians swear by the Landcruiser. They say if you see a person under a Landrover it is a mechanic. If you see a person under a Landcruiser he has been run over.
When you see your rebels in the middle east or any theater of war in Africa, the vehicle of choice is a Landcruiser or a Hilux. Those folks are on to something. You almost never see a Defender.
My 2 cents
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by LeJeun3: 12:22am On Jun 16, 2016
OP, I can see that you have checked out the LANDROVERs close to the National Library in Jos (opposite 93.7 FM). grin

The one in particular was owned by an SIM missionary who maintained it well till he left in 2009 or so, I cannot give you any more details as to the conditions of use after they left.

But I can tell you, the 110 is one of the most modifiable vehicles he can find on the roads anywhere in the world.

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by LeJeun3: 12:25am On Jun 16, 2016
chris81964:

Where I live they command a high resale because of their rarity. However the Australians swear by the Landcruiser. They say if you see a person under a Landrover it is a mechanic. If you see a person under a Landcruiser he has been run over.
When you see your rebels in the middle east or any theater of war in Africa, the vehicle of choice is a Landcruiser or a Hilux. Those folks are on to something. You almost never see a Defender.
My 2 cents

And what do the British use on the war fronts?? Land Rovers have more off roading capabilities that any other Off Roader.
Without modifications.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 2:52am On Jun 16, 2016
Ofemmanu1:
1.7m for this?!

I don't even know where to start from so I'll just let it go.

3 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 5:15am On Jun 16, 2016
LeJeun3:
OP, I can see that you have checked out the LANDROVERs close to the National Library in Jos (opposite 93.7 FM). grin

The one in particular was owned by an SIM missionary who maintained it well till he left in 2009 or so, I cannot give you any more details as to the conditions of use after they left.

But I can tell you, the 110 is one of the most modifiable vehicles he can find on the roads anywhere in the world.

Cheers

Absolutely on point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by chris81964(m): 9:42am On Jun 16, 2016
LeJeun3:

And what do the British use on the war fronts?? Land Rovers have more off roading capabilities that any other Off Roader.
Without modifications.
The British are obligated to use home manufactured vehicles. And the Brit's are not really that formidable a fighting force. How did they di in Afghanistan. They could barely do Libya America and France had to come to the rescue If you want to use pure off roading capabilities I am not sure the Defender is a match for a G wagon. For what Dunka is looking to do there are many vehicles that meet the test and are more comfortable and reliable.
A range rover is just as capable so is an LR3 or Disco. Most jeeps will do the job. The Landcruiser in LWB and SWB form will do
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by nurey(m): 11:04am On Jun 16, 2016
chris81964:

The British are obligated to use home manufactured vehicles. And the Brit's are not really that formidable a fighting force. How did they di in Afghanistan. They could barely do Libya America and France had to come to the rescue If you want to use pure off roading capabilities I am not sure the Defender is a match for a G wagon. For what Dunka is looking to do there are many vehicles that meet the test and are more comfortable and reliable.
A range rover is just as capable so is an LR3 or Disco. Most jeeps will do the job. The Landcruiser in LWB and SWB form will do

The best and strongest offroader is still this discovery, no car comes close to it. Go to ajah and remote villages in kano and see what those defenders are used for.

Next inline is the land cruisers, very capable beast.

After that we pick the mitsubishi montero or the Jeep wranglers which ever you fancy.

The G wagon is a good off roader but remember off road isn't only about capable, reliability, ease of maintenance and cost should be factored in.

Why will I carry a RR or G wagon worth millions of naira and with air shocks that cost a fortune to repair and a poor fuel economy and decide to use it as an everyday offroader am I insane.

Also the op saw all this cars before he decided to acquire the defender.

There are more tough recent off road vehicles that are cheaper, luxurious and good both in suv and truck form
Defender = I am tough and hardy
G-wagon = I have so much money
RR = I got swags

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by LeJeun3: 11:27pm On Jun 16, 2016
chris81964:

Boss let's not start arguing offroaders...... RRS, LRs, Discos have off road capabilities no doubt but lemme say this loud and clear Nothing beats a Land Rover 110, 90, TDi, Defender!

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by sultaan(m): 12:15am On Jun 17, 2016
GRAND CHEROKEE IS NO 1

Will post source soon
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Readonee35L(m): 1:18am On Jun 17, 2016
sultaan:
GRAND CHEROKEE IS NO 1

Will post source soon
Sultaan they find Trouble . At the Mention On Jeep grin grin

JEEP SRT8 475HP smiley wink
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by ivoryhouse(m): 3:08am On Jun 17, 2016
Siena:

I was waiting for you, Ivory, at the mention of Landrover Defender, you'd be here like a shot, like a shark tasking blood in the ocean 8 kilometres away. wink

How is life treating you?
Great my brother. How is the family doing?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear / How Was Your First Car Bashing Experience? / Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.