Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Delta Igbos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbos (39245 Views)

I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude / Delta Igbos In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta Igbos by Afrobeau: 6:59pm On Jun 16, 2016
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo and also has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their Igbo ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo surname unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it but they are both Igbos. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based. I don't have this issue with my boyfriend though, I was just researching on his origin and culture of his people and came across many delta-igbos claiming they are not Igbo. If your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Thunderlicious: 7:07pm On Jun 16, 2016
because they don't want to have bad names.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2016
Delta igbo as you called it, cant even make them to claim they are part of you.

Similar situation for the Yoruba speaking people living in delta that were descendants of yoruba from ondo state don't even claim they are yoruba yet they speak yoruba, likewise edo people especially okada people who speak yoruba.

Let the igbo people put their house in order and you will see that many would want to claim igbo.
_just saying _

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
It's goes the same with my tribe KWERRE they say we are Igbos my question is how?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by ofonike: 6:23am On Jun 17, 2016
We were made to believe that we r not igbo. Though we bear igbo names.

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Highbhee(m): 7:02am On Jun 17, 2016
2kaybiel:
Delta igbo as you called it, cant even make them to claim they are part of you.

Similar situation for the Yoruba speaking people living in delta that were descendants of yoruba from ondo state don't even claim they are yoruba yet they speak yoruba, likewise edo people especially okada people who speak yoruba.

Let the igbo people put their house in order and you will see that many would want to claim igbo.
_just saying _

Yes,dis s Bkus No tribe in Nigeria has get her bearings....if S.east nd S,west are fully developed.....Delta igbo nd co,Kogi,edo,ilorin,delta(warri side).....respectively will Associate....We were all divided like ds bkus of Awo nd Zik,dey tribalised us...divided us....Awo unseated Zik in western Houuse,Zik unseated Non igbo/non Eastern from Eastern region

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Highbhee(m): 7:07am On Jun 17, 2016
This Is bkus Igbo Excluded Dem out of their politics....
also,Bekus Eastern hasnt Really lost deir bearings....relating with ijaw,neglecting their Brothers nd sister outside of Deir region.... Treat dem as outcast

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 7:31am On Jun 17, 2016
We don't have Delta Igbo what we have is igbos that are native of Delta state just like we Igbo that are native of IMO state and we have Igbo that are native of rivers state

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by smileysmiley(f): 8:04am On Jun 17, 2016
my mum is delta Igbo and my dad is Igbo, the language is so similar and I wonder why they like to dissociate themselves from Igbos.... I claim Delta in school though cause of bursary

6 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Rocktation(f): 8:07am On Jun 17, 2016
I think the real question should be why d'you want them to be Igbos, if they insist they are not?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by joseph1832(m): 8:12am On Jun 17, 2016
Rocktation:
I think the real question should be why d'you want them to be Igbos, if they insist they are not?
Oh rockie, wondered off the beating path, have we? grin

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Lezzlie(m): 8:37am On Jun 17, 2016
Afrobeau:
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo and also has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their Igbo ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo surname unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it but they are both Igbos. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based. I don't have this issue with my boyfriend though, I was just researching on his origin and culture of his people and came across many delta-igbos claiming they are not Igbo. If your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?

Firstly, there is nothing as Delta Igbo officially. That being said, it's only few percentage of Western Igbos that deny their Igbo roots.

I usually put the blame on the poor reorientation after the civil war. Remember the Asaba massacre? ( genocide?) The federal troops couldn't cross over to the East after the Onitsha bridge was blown off.

The federal troops stationed and garrisoned in Asaba for the massacre. That was the beginning of the denial.

It was not only limited to Delta state. In Rivers state, the fear of loosing properties and estates made alot of Igbos there deny their roots to hold onto their investments in real estate and more.

But I think the east lost an opportunity in regaining a strong foothold into the south south when Anioma state was proposed with Onitsha as the headquarters. They kicked out the idea. That would have merged the east and Western Igbo into one and spread their tentacles into the Niger-delta.

And.....Eastern Igbos often have the annoying condescending manner of saying your diluted or fake Igbo when most Western Igbo dialect is more intelligible than some parts of Ebonyi state and Enugu State.

My opinion

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by MasterofNL: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2016
Re: Delta Igbos by Nomswag: 9:01am On Jun 17, 2016
grin proundly an ukwuani boy.......i cant imagine my self being called an igbo man.

15 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 9:02am On Jun 17, 2016
Rocktation:

But they insist that they are Igbo ..ask ugomba

Why do you enjoy it when brothers are in enmity and I know you are a Yoruba

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 9:04am On Jun 17, 2016
Nomswag:
grin proundly an ukwuani boy.......i cant imagine my self being called an igbo man.

Who even cares about ukwuani ? What are you coming to the table with
Population...nowhere
Ego....no where
Resources...mbanu

Onye ka IBU? the

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Know2020: 9:10am On Jun 17, 2016
Afrobeau:
[s] Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo and also has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their Igbo ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo surname unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it but they are both Igbos. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based. I don't have this issue with my boyfriend though, I was just researching on his origin and culture of his people and came across many delta-igbos claiming they are not Igbo. If your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that? [/s]

Yoruba man...SMH

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 9:33am On Jun 17, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Population...nowhere
Ego....no where
Resources...mbanu

Onye ka IBU? the

There are many proud Igbos of Ukwuani decent, don't let an efuluefu you met online make you insult them.

Ali Chukwuma, one of the most Popular Igbo highlife music legend was an Ukwuani, and he was a proud Igbo man.

Here on this forum, we have a proud Igbo man of Ukwuani origin, by the moniker Oweniwe, I have seen him battle anti Igbo posts on this forum.

There is a degree of Igbo denial in Ukwuani, but it has not gotten to the level of Ikwerre, which had since evolved from Igbo denial to Igbophobia.

If you want to meet real Ukwuani people proud of their Igbo identity in number, join us at Proudly Igbo, proudly Anioma facebook page, the admin of the group is an Ukwuani person.

And by the way, Ukwuaniland is rich in Hydrocarbon and they have the biggest land mass in Anioma area, their land is fertile too. So yes, they have alot to bring to the table.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 9:52am On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

There are many proud Igbos of Ukwuani decent, don't let an efuluefu you met unlike make you insult.

Ali Chukwuma, one of the most Popular Igbo highlife music legend was an Ukwuani, and he was a proud Igbo man.

Here on this forum, we have a proud Igbo man of Ukwuani origin, by the moniker Oweniwe, I have seen him battle anti Igbo posts on this forum.

There is a degree of Igbo denial in Ukwuani, but it has not gotten to the level of Ikwerre, which had since evolved from Igbo denial to Igbophobia.

If you want to meet real Ukwuani people proud of their Igbo identity in number, join us at Proudly Igbo, proudly Anioma facebook page, the admin of the group is an Ukwuani person.

And by the way, Ukwuaniland is rich in Hydrocarbon and they have the biggest land mass in Anioma area, their land is fertile too. So yes, they have alot to bring to the table.
Dalu

Just that some times they sound as if they are one special breed

Igbo still got oil but don't best with oil...igbo brag with their intelligence

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 10:10am On Jun 17, 2016
By the way, the mod that transferred this topic from the culture section where it was as of yesterday to political section is being mischievous.

Moreover, this topic had been comprehensively trashed in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/458875/delta-igbo-bendel-igbo-what
And here: https://www.nairaland.com/1362294/abohs-delta-state-not-igbos/4
And laid to bed.

If not for the sake of driving traffic,cos any topic that has the magic word "Igbo" attached to it in nairaland is a traffic generator, I don't see why this topic should be re visited again.
Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 10:20am On Jun 17, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Dalu

Just that some times they sound as if they are one special breed

Igbo still got oil but don't best with oil...igbo brag with their intelligence

True! Same with Ukwuani. I only listed those things because you asked of what they will bring to the table.

Fertile land like we already have in SE, crude oil like we already have, and a non islamicized, Igbo dialect speaking people will always make a good addition to the Igbo nation.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by SlayerSupreme: 11:25am On Jun 17, 2016
My sister as soon as you mentioned denial,I instantly knew it was an Ika issue. My sister they're not Delta Igbos. Delta Igbo is different from Ika/Kwale. Don't taint the Igbo nation. Delta Igbos are predominantly in Oshimili and Aniocha LGA. The ones who are Ika,Ukwuani,Ndokwa are descendants of Benin outlaws/slaves who have mingled and bred with unfortunate Igbos. Hence,the product cannot be said to be Igbo. Thanks.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Omudia11: 11:37am On Jun 17, 2016
Same way Isokos bear urhobo names and i still wonder how they aren't urhobos.
Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 12:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

True! Same with Ukwuani. I only listed those things because you asked of what they will bring to the table.

Fertile land like we already have in SE, crude oil like we already have, and a non islamicized, Igbo dialect speaking people will always make a good addition to the Igbo nation.

Buy we are not begging them ...we have decent ones but these identity crisis ones should go
Re: Delta Igbos by IkpuMmadu: 12:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
Omudia11:
Same way Isokos bear urhobo names and i still wonder how they aren't urhobos.

Isoko and urhobo are called Sobos

Esan and Benin are some same people

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by cyril10(m): 12:18pm On Jun 17, 2016
I am Igbo man from Delta, Oshimili North to be precise. What is Oshimili in Ibo is not river, so I wonder why some of my people deny they are Ibos when they have names like Oliseh, Chukwudi, Emeka.

My surname is Igbo, my children have Ibo names, so I am proudly Igbo, even though some Igbos doesn't see us as part of them.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Nomswag: 12:20pm On Jun 17, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Population...nowhere
Ego....no where
Resources...mbanu

Onye ka IBU? the
Lol...
luk who is talking about resources....... ukwuani has more oil than the south east combing together.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by cocoduck: 12:49pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nomswag:

Lol...
luk who is talking about resources....... ukwuani has more oil than the south east combing together.
please be sensible, just take a look at his moniker, I am an igbo man, and they put me in nnewi.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by naijacampu(m): 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nomswag:
And I can't also imagine efulefu BOY like you calling himself Igbo MAN.

6 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:12pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lezzlie:

Firstly, there is nothing as Delta Igbo officially. That being said, it's only few percentage of Western Igbos that deny their Igbo roots.

I usually put the blame on the poor reorientation after the civil war. Remember the Asaba massacre? ( genocide?) The federal troops couldn't cross over to the East after the Onitsha bridge was blown off.

The federal troops stationed and garrisoned in Asaba for the massacre. That was the beginning of the denial.

It was not only limited to Delta state. In Rivers state, the fear of loosing properties and estates made alot of Igbos there deny their roots to hold onto their investments in real estate and more.

But I think the east lost an opportunity in regaining a strong foothold into the south south when Anioma state was proposed with Onitsha as the headquarters. They kicked out the idea. That would have merged the east and Western Igbo into one and spread their tentacles into the Niger-delta.

And.....Eastern Igbos often have the annoying condescending manner of saying your diluted or fake Igbo when most Western Igbo dialect is more intelligible than some parts of Ebonyi state and Enugu State.

My opinion
Why must onitsha be the capital? can't they use asaba?
igbos have never been against anioma state.
If we cede onitdha to them and they maintain their non igbo stance, what happens to our onitsha?

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by meccuno: 1:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igbos are one.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo’s Wife Matriculates (Photos) / The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.