Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,444 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) (53169 Views)

Ogenyi Onazi & Raheem Lawal Step Out For Ahmed Musa's Traditional Wedding (Pics) / BBNaija: Ogenyi Onazi Talks About Efe & His Supporters / Ogenyi Onazi Survives Accident In Oyo State Ahead Of Saturday Wedding (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:36am On Jun 18, 2016
Enahi:

You all disgust me when with your baseless stories, what evidence do you have to show that former heads of bini were buried in Ile Ife in the past? Show me evidence and stop spreading rumors.

You also don't 've evidence to show that the Word Oba originated from Yoruba, we have bini names that start with the Word Oba e.g. Obasuyi, Obahagbon etc.

Don't type what you don't know it only shows your stupidity!

There was never a time Yoruba was ever the official language spoken in Benin stop been daft ok, if you must know all Southern Nigerian Languages are similar but still different to a large extent.

Your inability to engage people in a decent discourse without resorting to name calling and insults will continue to put you in perpetual darkness. You have been bashed more than enough already on this thread ; it's needless compounding your frustration.

My dear Bini girl, seek the truth and you shall be set free. Ile-Ife is less than three hours from Benin. You definitely need to visit that ancient town to get the evidence you seek and to liberate your mind. What you will find there will shock you to your marrow.

There are hundreds of shrines and other sacred places in Ile-Ife. One of these sacred places is named 'Ori oba Edo' -Heads of dead Bini kings ! It exists and that is where several heads of late Benin oba were buried. It is a fact; I have seen it.

'Oba ba nile, Oba ba loko, Kabiesi Alase ekeji Orisa. Oba a to, Oba ape. Oba lo nile, lo lara oko'. The word Oba has nothing to do with language similarity; it's rooted deeply in Yoruba language. It is a Yoruba word wholly.

So many facts were distorted,especially during the reign of immediate past Oba of Benin. Otherwise Yoruba culture and influence was quite visible even at your Oba's palace.

You can't know Benin more than I do. I grew up there and my maternal grandmother is from a royal family there. My nick name is ' Omo Iya Bini'. The truth is that Yoruba culture and tradition has greatly influenced Bini People to some extent.

Drop your empty pride. Edo people need Yoruba people more than Yoruba people do need you guys. That's another reality dear !
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:23am On Jun 18, 2016
Asiwaju9ja:

Nobody is fighting over which tribe is superior, Just educating the young and uneducated in this forum. For your information read about the Bini Kingdom, that stretched from the present day Benin City to Dahomey(Benin Republic) meaning that Lagos was under Benin at that time.

At least now you know about the Edo People.

Really? Interesting! But the truth is that Bini culture and influence is not visible in any form in Dahomey ( Benin republic).Rather,what is visible even to the Blind, is the influence of Yoruba culture and tradition among the people of Dahomey. Are you not aware that there are traditional Yoruba rulers (Oba) in Benin republic and Togo- Onisabe of Sabe, Onipopo of Popo and Alaketu of Ketu ? Ajase is predominantly a Yoruba town in Benin. You will never find any 'osas' in Dahomey but there are millions of 'Akandes', 'Bamideles','Adiguns' etc. The famous singer from Benin republic,Angelique Khidjo is a Yoruba woman!

These are the people who acknowledge their Ile-Ife ancestral root and they do visit Ooni from time to time.

Lagos was never at any time in history under your 'Bini kingdom'. Your futile attempt at rewriting history is not only laughable but quite pitiable as well!

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 7:48am On Jun 18, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

Your inability to engage people in a decent discourse without resorting to name calling and insults will continue to put you in perpetual darkness. You have been bashed more than enough already on this thread ; it's needless compounding your frustration.

My dear Bini girl, seek the truth and you shall be set free. Ile-Ife is less than three hours from Benin. You definitely need to visit that ancient town to get the evidence you seek and to liberate your mind. What you will find there will shock you to your marrow.

There are hundreds of shrines and other sacred places in Ile-Ife. One of these sacred places is named 'Ori oba Edo' -Heads of dead Bini kings ! It exists and that is where several heads of late Benin oba were buried. It is a fact; I have seen it.

'Oba ba nile, Oba ba loko, Kabiesi Alase ekeji Orisa. Oba a to, Oba ape. Oba lo nile, lo lara oko'. The word Oba has nothing to do with language similarity; it's rooted deeply in Yoruba language. It is a Yoruba word wholly.

So many facts were distorted,especially during the reign of immediate past Oba of Benin. Otherwise Yoruba culture and influence was quite visible even at your Oba's palace.

You can't know Benin more than I do. I grew up there and my maternal grandmother is from a royal family there. My nick name is ' Omo Iya Bini'. The truth is that Yoruba culture and tradition has greatly influenced Bini People to some extent.

Drop your empty pride. Edo people need Yoruba people more than Yoruba people do need you guys. That's another reality dear !

I repeat there is absolutely nothing like Ori Oba Edo in Ile Ife.
Yorubas definitely made that up to boost their ego. You ain't replying a dunce I know what I am talking about. There is no part in Edo history and even your twisted Yoruba history that ever wrote about Ori Oba Edo.
Trust me I know how to deal with your likes,I guess you don't even know the meaning of Artifacts and excavation in History. You have to go dig up the heads of the Obas that you claimed were buried in your Ile Ife and carry out DNA to ascertain if truly there were the heads of dead bini Obas.
You dont type nonsense here, you ain't dealing with a novice.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 7:52am On Jun 18, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

Really? Interesting! But the truth is that Bini culture and influence is not visible in any form in Dahomey ( Benin republic).Rather,what is visible even to the Blind, is the influence of Yoruba culture and tradition among the people of Dahomey. Are you not aware that there are traditional Yoruba rulers (Oba) in Benin republic and Togo- Onisabe of Sabe, Onipopo of Popo and Alaketu of Ketu ? Ajase is predominantly a Yoruba town in Benin. You will never find any 'osas' in Dahomey but there are millions of 'Akandes', 'Bamideles','Adiguns' etc. The famous singer from Benin republic,Angelique Khidjo is a Yoruba woman!

These are the people who acknowledge their Ile-Ife ancestral root and they do visit Ooni from time to time.

Lagos was never at any time in history under your 'Bini kingdom'. Your futile attempt at rewriting history is not only laughable but quite pitiable as well!

Lol you all make me laugh, gosh I actually thought you were intelligent I just realized you are not. The whole world knows Lagos was under the bini empire for a long time, I guess you haven't even read Lagos History.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 8:19am On Jun 18, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

Lol Mr. Omo Iya Edo I repeat the Word Oba didn't originate from the Yoruba, What evidence or facts do you have to back up your claim? Do you know Oba also means wow or yeah in Portuguese?

Edos( binis and Ishans) have the Word Oba attached to their names than the Yorubas. I will keep disputing the origin of the Word Oba as long as there are no verifiable facts to back up its Origin. I believe in facts not Oral history that Yorubas rely on and use to distort their history. Confused people!
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by oshiokpu(m): 8:56am On Jun 18, 2016
Good
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 9:33am On Jun 18, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

I reiterate, i am not fighting over supremacy with you. I am not even Bini. I am stating the obvious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 10:04am On Jun 18, 2016
Enahi:

Lol you all make me laugh, gosh I actually thought you were intelligent I just realized you are not. The whole world knows Lagos was under the bini empire for a long time, I guess you haven't even read Lagos History.

It's again difficult for you to exhibit simple and acceptable social behaviour otherwise called decorum when making your point. I know that's not part of Bini culture. So who are you? The bolded part is quite wrong girl.

You obviously lack intellectual capability to make this a decent discourse by resorting to insult every now and then. Why should I continue allowing you to pour your frustration on me?

My regards to Omo n'oba, bye.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 10:44am On Jun 18, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

[/b]

It's again difficult for you to exhibit simple and acceptable social behaviour otherwise called decorum when making your point. I know that's not part of Bini culture. So who are you? The bolded part is quite wrong girl.

You obviously lack intellectual capability to make this a decent discourse by resorting to insult every now and then. Why should I continue allowing you to pour your frustration on me?

My regards to Omo n'oba, bye.

Lol I never insulted you in my comment I only stated the fact that you disappointed me with your comment about Lagos not been under the bini empire. You dont need to convince me with your lies, it is what I studied in school. I insist go and read about the history of Lagos and stop disgracing yourself on Nairaland!
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
lamdec:

First, Ogunsuyi is a Yoruba name....but that doesn'tmean it is not an Edo name also. But as a fact, It is a Yoruba name. Ekiti and Ijebu people always turn their 'I' to 'U' for example Isu in normal yoruba is 'Usu' in Ekiti dialet or Ijebu dialet, My name starts with 'Iyi' which means honour but I had my secondary school in Ekiti and I was called 'Uyi' throughout my secondary school. So please get your facts right Edo people before you start bashing the whole of Yoruba race.

Lol, I thought of ignoring you, but your response was mature enough, plus I assume you're female.

I have some questions for you.

If a name is maybe similar to what you know in your tribe, you go ahead and conclude that that person is your tribal person?

2. You claim ogunsuyi is an ijebu name and not benin. What does it mean?

3. Do you claim not to have heard of your people's erroneous and annoying claim that Edo is Yorubaland?

4. If you say ogunsuyi is ijebu or yoruba, then osasuyi is yoruba too? Because I hear "osa" in your language means river or so

To be honest, I do not care what you people claim, I personally am used to the antics of people from your tribe.

I look forward to discussions with people who have traveled wide and know a thing or two about Nigeria, it's people and culture, not a tribe who form the habit of insulting and disrespecting the culture and tradition of other tribes, which many yoruba on Nairaland enjoy doing. They are either making derogatory remarks about ibos today or casting aspersions at hausas tomorrow or the niger deltans.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
eyinjuege:

There's no local govt in Lagos bearing etinosa. Its Eti- osa which means "river bank". Just to clarify.
Both languages do have similarities though.
However, I wonder why a thread on someone's wedding became a tribal issue.
That's the case always on NL

Yes my friend, you are correct. It is etiosa and not etinosa. Even at that, it still carries with it the history between the benin empire and Eko (lagos). So there are similarities.

The bolded is what has become a norm for one tribe on nairaland. A despeakable behaviour. They have formed the habit of insulting the sensibilities of other tribes.
Every single thread that celebrates a different tradition, culture, tribe you will find them derailing the thread and making it about them

I have never seen a thread on the success of another tribe, where you see yoruba folks saying congratulations. It is always the reverse you expect from them
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
Asiwaju9ja:

Edo people bear yoruba names my friend. Seankay just educated you and u refused to be teachable. Ogunsuyi can be from edo as Obasuyi, Omoruyi , Osawonyi etc. Balogun, Akerele, Adedeji, ojo etc are names answered in edo including all the names mentioned by Seankay.

Actually it is people like you and the other fellow, who in their arrogance refuse to learn, because you assume the world revolves around your tribe alone.

Very soon, you will tell me Europeans are descendants of yorubas.

You people are despeakable. I cannot believe the level of arrogance you possess.

No Edo person bears akerele, adedeji. You must be mad to say such a thing.

I am Edo, and I am past my teenage, and you dare to assume I do not know my culture or names?

May your history and that of your tribe be distorted the way you yoruba people attempt to distort that of others. Ise
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by eyinjuege: 3:32pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

Yes my friend, you are correct. It is etiosa and not etinosa. Even at that, it still carries with it the history between the benin empire and Eko (lagos). So there are similarities.

The bolded is what has become a norm for one tribe on nairaland. A despeakable behaviour. They have formed the habit of insulting the sensibilities of other tribes.
Every single thread that celebrates a different tradition, culture, tribe you will find them derailing the thread and making it about them

I have never seen a thread on the success of another tribe, where you see yoruba folks saying congratulations. It is always the reverse you expect from them

This thread was never about any tribe but just two people getting married. Its shameful as it was turned to one and the couple not celebrated.

I understand Etinosa means God is my strength, and that really has no correlation with etiosa- riverbank. Most of the cdas covered by that local govt are places surrounded by water bodies such as victoria island, lagos island.
In as much as there are a lot of similarities and a shared history between the two tribes, the example of etiosa is simply not one.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:35pm On Jun 18, 2016
AuroraB:
You are spreading fallacy actually. So, an Edo friend whose Surname is Ajayi is not Edo just because you so think not Y'all better stop these baseless arguments spurred by tribalism sad

Actually you are the one spreading your naivety and exhibiting ignorance, which has become a trait with you people.

So because he answers Ajayi. Did you bother to trace his genealogy?

Yorubas answer Mohammed, Ahmed, Nasir, Mustapha, etc Are those not hausa names?

I know you will come back and tell me they are Arabic names.

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by AuroraB(f): 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

Actually you are the one spreading your naivety and exhibiting ignorance, which has become a trait with you people.

So because he answers Ajayi. Did you bother to trace his genealogy?

Yorubas answer Mohammed, Ahmed, Nasir, Mustapha, etc Are those not hausa names?

I know you will come back and tell me they are Arabic names.

Nonsense
pelee ti e shocked
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:43pm On Jun 18, 2016
eyinjuege:

This thread was never about any tribe but just two people getting married. Its shameful as it was turned to one and the couple not celebrated.

I understand Etinosa means God is my strength, and that really has no correlation with etiosa- riverbank. Most of the cdas covered by that local govt are places surrounded by water bodies such as victoria island, lagos island.
In as much as there are a lot of similarities and a shared history between the two tribes, the example of etiosa is simply not one.

I understand you're trying to hide what is glaring. the bride is an Edo girl or wasn't that stated there? Was it convenient for people from your tribe to happily derail the thread, with such brazen lies and display of ignorance?

The history between Eko (lagos) and benin empire is widely known, and I will not bother saying anything of it, as I am unsure of what version you know of it.

From your definition of what etiosa means, I take it that osa means river.

Osa in my language means God. Do you then conclude that Edo is yoruba land?

Such disrespect for other tribes as is customary of your folks is what irritates me.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by eyinjuege: 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

I understand you're trying to hide what is glaring. the bride is an Edo girl or wasn't that stated there? Was it convenient for people from your tribe to happily derail the thread, with such brazen lies and display of ignorance?

The history between Eko (lagos) and benin empire is widely known, and I will not bother saying anything of it, as I am unsure of what version you know of it.

Such disrespect for other tribes as is customary of your folks is what irritates me.

Now, let me educate you a little about the Yoruba language.
The signs on top of the words make all the difference. Words spelt the same, could equally mean twenty different things when you put the signs- ami ohun-phonology or tune signs on the top of the letters. Òsà- river, òrìsà shortened to òòsà means god, o sá- you ran, oò sa- you didn't run etc.
Now regarding what you think of Yorubas, it is really of no importance to me. I've never really been one to lose sleep over the opinion of others.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by omofunaab(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

Really, I wouldn't have joined this topic had it being my mom maiden name is not miss ogunsuyi , my mum is from akoko edo in edo state, she is yoruba likewise dele momodu is also from edo state and he is also yoruba. ..I don't like the fact that you said edo state people don't bear yoruba names.. ..that is a big lie Bro. ..my cousins in edo state all bear yoruba names. ...besides that ogenyi onazi and the lady wore agbada and aso oke.. ..that's what they call aso ebi in yoruba culture.. .my brother that lady is yoruba.. ..argue with your gods

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by rexbuton: 6:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
omofunaab:

Really, I wouldn't have joined this topic had it being my mom maiden name is not miss ogunsuyi , my mum is from akoko edo in edo state, she is yoruba likewise dele momodu is also from edo state and he is also yoruba. ..I don't like the fact that you said edo state people don't bear yoruba names.. ..that is a big lie Bro. ..my cousins in edo state all bear yoruba names. ...besides that ogenyi onazi and the lady wore agbada and aso oke.. ..that's what they call aso ebi in yoruba culture.. .my brother that lady is yoruba.. ..argue with your gods

I'm moved by your post.. One would expect that as someone who's mother's from akoko-edo you would be able to teach your Yoruba kin the difference between edo and Bini.. The argument is not that edo people do not bear yoruboid names but that Bini people bear Yoruba names which is almost totally incorrect. The girl's full name is Sandra Osagioduwa Ogunsuyi that's a Bini girl's name.
I'd expected more from you
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:40pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

Actually it is people like you and the other fellow, who in their arrogance refuse to learn, because you assume the world revolves around your tribe alone.

Very soon, you will tell me Europeans are descendants of yorubas.

You people are despeakable. I cannot believe the level of arrogance you possess.

No Edo person bears akerele, adedeji. You must be mad to say such a thing.

I am Edo, and I am past my teenage, and you dare to assume I do not know my culture or names?

May your history and that of your tribe be distorted the way you yoruba people attempt to distort that of others. Ise

You just washed your ignorance and hung it to dry on the world stage.

1. I am Edo and I do bear Yoruba names, so also are some bini families I know.

2. You are a very small boy and do not know anything in life.

3. Your attitude of insulting your elders(me) shows that your parents did two things (a) wasted their money if ever you went to school (b) Failed at their duty in Parenting as obviously you do not have home training.

4. I will attempt to Educate you one last time maybe you will see how stupid and senseless you and your utterances are.

Hon. Simon Bamidele Oloruntoba is a a legislator in the Edo State House of Assembly representing Akoko-Edo II

See: http://www.whoiswhonigeria.net/member_detail2.php?p=members&member_id=MTM5#tab1

Oladele Bankole Balogun see: http://wikibin.org/articles/oladele-bankole-balogun.html

Ambrose Folorunsho Alli : I know say you fit nor know who e be. Na the former Governor of Bendel State(Edo+Delta) He was from Ekpoma.

Dr Odion Ohiorenua Ojo see: http://allafrica.com/stories/200211110531.html

Hon. Asein Ojo Victor Member EDO STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY see: http://www.edha.gov.ng/?q=content/hon-asein-ojo-victor

I hope you go bury your head in Shame now if you get any. JUST LEARN, IF NOT YOU BE FULL MUMU WHEN NO KNOW SAY HIM BE MUMU. which makes you a very serious mumu case.

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 6:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
Asiwaju9ja:

You just washed your ignorance and hung it to dry on the world stage.

1. I am Edo and I do bear Yoruba names, so also are some bini families I know.

2. You are a very small boy and do not know anything in life.

3. Your attitude of insulting your elders(me) shows that your parents did two things (a) wasted their money if ever you went to school (b) Failed at their duty in Parenting as obviously you do not have home training.

4. I will attempt to Educate you one last time maybe you will see how stupid and senseless you and your utterances are.

Hon. Simon Bamidele Oloruntoba is a a legislator in the Edo State House of Assembly representing Akoko-Edo II

See: http://www.whoiswhonigeria.net/member_detail2.php?p=members&member_id=MTM5#tab1

Oladele Bankole Balogun see: http://wikibin.org/articles/oladele-bankole-balogun.html

Ambrose Folorunsho Alli : I know say you fit nor know who e be. Na the former Governor of Bendel State(Edo+Delta) He was from Ekpoma.

Dr Odion Ohiorenua Ojo see: http://allafrica.com/stories/200211110531.html

Hon. Asein Ojo Victor Member EDO STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY see: http://www.edha.gov.ng/?q=content/hon-asein-ojo-victor

I hope you go bury your head in Shame now if you get any. JUST LEARN, IF NOT YOU BE FULL MUMU WHEN NO SAY HIM BE MUMU. which makes you a very serious mumu case.

I laugh at how you continously humiliate yourself, thinking you want to prove a point.

I repeat, no Edo person bears a yoruba name.

And you my friend are an alien. In claiming that you are benin, makes you more of an alien, because you do not know where you are from. As much as I am concerned, you are a misguided yoruba boy who doesn't know his left from his right.

in your foolishness, you failed to mention a native Edo name, because you don't know any.

Ohiorenua is not a native Edo name. Ohiorenua is Esan origin.

And for your information, akoko Edo does not speak the Edo language neither are they yorubas.

You are a very ignorant fool who will never learn

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 7:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
Etinosajay:

I laugh at how you continously humiliate yourself, thinking you want to prove a point.

I repeat, no Edo person bears a yoruba name.

And you my friend are an alien. In claiming that you are benin, makes you more of an alien, because you do not know where you are from. As much as I am concerned, you are a misguided yoruba boy who doesn't know his left from his right.

in your foolishness, you failed to mention a native Edo name, because you don't know any.

Ohiorenua is not a native Edo name. Ohiorenua is Esan origin.

And for your information, akoko Edo does not speak the Edo language neither are they yorubas.

You are a very ignorant fool who will never learn

Orobosa Omo-Ojo: Edo State Commissioner for Transport(Google is your friend)

Orobosa No be REAL BINI NAME?

Who is Ignorant and Who is a Fool now?

2 Likes

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
When I say Edo People, I do not mean only BINI speaking people of Edo State. I mean the entire EDO STATE comprising the BINIS, Afemai and Owan as explained by wikipedia o Odeh!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_people

Benin Edo or Benin is the name for the place, people and language of an ethnic group in Nigeria. Similar languages are spoken from the following ethnic groups that include the Esan, the Afemai, the Owan among others. The Edo are also referred to as "Bini" or as the "Benin ethnic group", though currently the people themselves prefer to be simply called "Edo". The Edo are the descendants of the people who founded the former Benin Empire, which was located in South/Mid-Western Nigeria, encompassing what is now the Edo State of Nigeria, as well as surrounding areas.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 10:42am On Jun 19, 2016
omofunaab:

Hello I would like you to ask your mum the meaning of her surname. Yorubas bear Ogunsuyi but it doesn't have the same meaning with that of bini Ogunsuyi. Globally there are names that are spelt same way but have different meanings.
Your mum might be from the Yoruba part that share boundary with Edo State that doesn't make them pure Edo, it's same way we have few Igbos in Edos.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by lamdec(f): 2:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Etinosajay:

Lol, I thought of ignoring you, but your response was mature enough, plus I assume you're female.

I have some questions for you.

If a name is maybe similar to what you know in your tribe, you go ahead and conclude that that person is your tribal person?

2. You claim ogunsuyi is an ijebu name and not benin. What does it mean?

3. Do you claim not to have heard of your people's erroneous and annoying claim that Edo is Yorubaland?

4. If you say ogunsuyi is ijebu or yoruba, then osasuyi is yoruba too? Because I hear "osa" in your language means river or so

To be honest, I do not care what you people claim, I personally am used to the antics of people from your tribe.

I look forward to discussions with people who have traveled wide and know a thing or two about Nigeria, it's people and culture, not a tribe who form the habit of insulting and disrespecting the culture and tradition of other tribes, which many yoruba on Nairaland enjoy doing. They are either making derogatory remarks about ibos today or casting aspersions at hausas tomorrow or the niger deltans.

I did not claim ogunsuyi is an Ijebu name, anybody from yoruba can be named ogunsuyi because it is a yoruba name. Ogun is a god.....'Iyi' is honour, Ogun-se-iyi, merged together to form Ogunsuyi...what we call 'iparoje' in Yoruba, means Ogun has brought honour.

Secondly, Edo is not yoruba land but we have more similarities than any other two tribes in Nigeria...probably in the world. We share names, we share history, we even share gods.

I have not heard osasuyi in yoruba but I have heard osasona, but I can guess osasuyi means the god 'osa' brings honour....'oosa' in yorubaland means oracle or a god, as usual in yoruba language, the firat 'o' is merged so 'osasona' means 'the oracle has made a way'.

My problem with Edo people is why you are finding it difficult to believe that yorubas bear Ogunsuyi as if it is not possible. You want your claims to be right at all cost and ours to be wrong no matter the proof we bring. We grew up in yorubaland, we are yorubas so we should know if a name is yoruba or not.
Yours is to let us know that Edos also bear that name and not abuse or call us names for stating a fact

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Asiwaju9ja(m): 3:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
lamdec:

I did not claim ogunsuyi is an Ijebu name, anybody from yoruba can be named ogunsuyi because it is a yoruba name. Ogun is a god.....'Iyi' is honour, Ogun-se-iyi, merged together to form Ogunsuyi...what we call 'iparoje' in Yoruba, means Ogun has brought honour.

Secondly, Edo is not yoruba land but we have more similarities than any other two tribes in Nigeria...probably in the world. We share names, we share history, we even share gods.

I have not heard osasuyi in yoruba but I have heard osasona, but I can guess osasuyi means the god 'osa' brings honour....'oosa' in yorubaland means oracle or a god, as usual in yoruba language, the firat 'o' is merged so 'osasona' means 'the oracle has made a way'.

My problem with Edo people is why you are finding it difficult to believe that yorubas bear Ogunsuyi as if it is not possible. You want your claims to be right at all cost and ours to be wrong no matter the proof we bring. We grew up in yorubaland, we are yorubas so we should know if a name is yoruba or not.
Yours is to let us know that Edos also bear that name and not abuse or call us names for stating a fact

My Dear Do not mind the illiterate, He is stupidly arrogant. Please read my posts on the issue. We Edo (State) People Bear Yoruba Names Period.

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2016
lamdec:

For the umpteenth time, the name in question is ogunsuyi, which is a benin coined name.

I don't know why you're delving into ogun se-iyi or whatever.

Ogun represents a deity (God of iron) or does it mean anything else.

This deity yes was widely worshipped in yoruba land, but yet found its way to Benin and south of Nigeria, just like Islam and christianity, budhism etc came to Nigeria.

Like I explained earlier, worshippers of ogun in benin were the ones who coined the name ogunsuyi (not ogun-se-iyi that you're bandying about) meaning ogun deserves honour, which is merely singing the praise of the god ogun, out of what they (worshippers) may have enjoyed from it.

Till this minute, you're yet to tell me what ogunsuyi means in yoruba. Instead you claim it is ogun-se-iyi. So because ogun is a deity synonymous with yoruba, any name associated with it becomes yoruba?

You've failed to recognise that Ogun (god of iron) was and is still worshipped across the south of Nigeria.

You personally have continously missed the point in the argument you're making. This argument was not whether the name is answered by yoruba. If that had been the case, I'd have long dropped it, but your argument is that the name is yoruba and can never be Edo. Some even went further to declare Edo as yoruba land. Such brazen disrespect for other culture, that makes me sympathize with folks who call for disintegration. If one particular tribe forms the habit of disrespecting and casting aspersions at others with the notion that they are one and only, and the world revolves around them only. It does nothing but create resentment.

The name "owen" is an Edo name meaning"sun". It is also an English name for the brits and Americans, where it may mean something different.

The name imade, davido's baby answers is another name popular in benin. It means "I didn't fall" this may mean something else in yoruba.

I have used different examples here to better buttress my point.

For the other knuckle head claiming anyone who answers ojo is yoruba. A certain ojo madueke is ibo of abia origin.

2 Likes

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Enahi(f): 6:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
Etinosajay:

For the umpteenth time, the name in question is ogunsuyi, which is a benin coined name.

This deity yes was widely worshipped in yoruba land, but yet found its way to Benin and south of Nigeria, just like Islam and christianity, budhism etc came to Nigeria.

Like I explained earlier, worshippers of ogun in benin were the ones who coined the name ogunsuyi (not ogun-se-iyi that you're bandying about) meaning ogun deserves honour, which is merely singing the praise of the god ogun, out of what they (worshippers) may have enjoyed from it.

Till this minute, you're yet to tell me what ogunsuyi means in yoruba. Instead you claim it is ogun-se-iyi. So because ogun is a deity synonymous with yoruba, any name associated with it becomes yoruba?

You've failed to recognise that Ogun (god of iron) was and is still worshipped across the south of Nigeria.

You personally have continously missed the point in the argument you're making. This argument was not whether the name is answered by yoruba. If that had been the case, I'd have long dropped it, but your argument is that the name is yoruba and can never be Edo. Some even went further to declare Edo as yoruba land. Such brazen disrespect for other culture, that makes me sympathize with folks who call for disintegration. If one particular tribe forms the habit of disrespecting and casting aspersions at others with the notion that they are one and only, and the world revolves around them only. It does nothing but create resentment.

The name "owen" is an Edo name meaning"sun". It is also an English name for the brits and Americans, where it may mean something different.

The name imade, davido's baby answers is another name popular in benin. It means "I didn't fall" this may mean something else in yoruba.

For the other knuckle head claiming anyone who answers ojo is yoruba. A certain ojo madueke is ibo of abia origin.

You are truly educated, good analysis!

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by lamdec(f): 10:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
Etinosajay:

Since you have no respect for other people's culture and you want to be right at all cost I will leave you to it. In yoruba language, we merge a lot of our words even the popular ones...
E kaaro is actualy E ku aro
Bolanle is actually Bolanile
Yinka is actually Yimika
Taiwo is actually Tun ile aye wo
Adeleke is Ade o leke
I can go on and on, that is how we merge our names and that is how derive our language, if you can not accept that, then please continue to wallow in your ignorance.
Edo people who get into this kind of argument never want to accept that the yorubas are right and funny in this case the name means the same thing both on yoruba and Edo.

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Idris1571: 5:13pm On Aug 25, 2016
The problem with most Nigerians is that they don't much about the the nation and ignorance is not an excuse. Some people don't even knw the number of tribes that are indigenous to their state of origin not to think of its demography or other states. they are always the most vocal on matters concerning tribes, faiths and geographical settlements.
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Idris1571: 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2016
[quote author=baby124 post=46642708]
They can't explain that one because it's a bone that will hook them in their throat. Ogunsuyi is by all accounts an original Yoruba name. Let them ask those people well where their ancestors came from.[U guysare digging deep, some families in present edo state are of yoruba descent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Real Madrid Players Arrive Cardiff For UCL Final (Photos) / My Father Destroyed My Super Eagles Dream — Saka / Cristiano Ronaldo Relaxing With His Family (Lovely Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.