Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement (13768 Views)

#EndSARS: Senate Backs Call For Police SARS Scrapping / "Form A Political Party And Push Your Agenda" - APC Tells IPOB, MASSOB / Buhari's Ambassadorial Nominees And Their State Of Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by naijastory: 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2016
Unity: Sen. Melaye wants state-of-origin replaced with state-of-residence

Sen. Dino Melaye, Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Capital Territory, has suggested the replacement of state of-origin with state-of-residence, to enthrone oneness among Nigerians.

Melaye made the call on Friday in Abuja, at a ceremony to unveil the logo/medal of the Peace Corps of Nigeria (PCN) to mark PCN’s 18th year of existence.

According to him, the step will cement relationships among the people and minimise ethnicity.

“Ethnic bigotry should be shunned; there should be a replacement of the state-of-origin to unite the country.
“Any responsible person that has lived in a particular place for a certain number of years can aspire to any political position including that state’s governor seat,” he said.

He, however, called for the `rebirth’ of the country, and challenged youths to guard against moral decadence.

Melaye also charged Nigerian youths to maximise their talents so as to contribute to national growth.

The senator called for re-orientation and attitudinal change that would revive Nigeria’s value system, and stressed the need to imbibe a culture of volunteerism.

“There is also the need for the review of the educational system so as to teach more morals, values and culture with a view to building falling walls,’’ Melaye said.

He assured the PCN that the bill for its ratification would pass the third reading at the National Assembly.

The PCN Commandant, Mr Dickson Akoh, commended the House of Representatives for recently passing the bill for an Act to establish the PCN.

“This all-important achievement alone calls for celebration as the PCN reaches 18.

“It is in view of that remarkable stride that we resolved to commemorate this year’s anniversary.

“This may be the last anniversary we will be celebrating as a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) as we are in the process of transforming into a government establishment,’’ Akoh said.

The Director-General, National Orientation Agency, Mr Garba Abari, also acknowledged that PCN had worked and toiled toward resolving conflicts, peace building and engaging youths to divert their attention from violence.

Abari called on Nigerians to believe in the aims and objectives of PCN as the body had remained consistent in the training, educating and re-orientation of Nigerian youths on the ideals of good leadership and what was expected of them.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/unity-sen-melaye-wants-state-of-origin-replaced-with-state-of-residence/

8 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
I hear!

So that people like you will finish in your state and jump to another to rule abi?

There's always a selfish reason behind your movements. angry angry angry

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by ybalogs(m): 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
I really don't trust Dino Melaye for anything but I'm totally in support of the scrapping know guys who are not from my town but spent their whole life in it . they should have that right to be voted for then.

17 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2016
This will be the worst thing that will eva happen to nigeria. imagine 1 ova 3% population frm kanu relocate to bayelsa. Frm governor to d least political office go b alhaji. Them for even request for d removal of country of origin... Note; removing state of origin is nt removing names of individuals or the religion. I smell sentiments, hate and, war just like in the cases of nassarawa and pleatue states respectively.
Also note that some person in Nigeria do not practice birth control while others practice. they both will tell u it is against there religion.
I will urge everyone to think ova it... I see WAR, I mean WAR in respect to this issue if implemented.

5 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by mrvitalis(m): 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And this is also the best for my igbo brothers

37 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by nosypat(m): 7:32am On Jun 18, 2016
I see
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by justicejay(m): 7:32am On Jun 18, 2016
Scrapping!
Well not bad sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by LieDetector(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2016
This was among the campaign promises of PMB and was applauded by all and sundry.... Will go a long way in forestalling the seemingly intractable disease of tribal bigotry which our politicians leverage upon while canvassing for votes..... I don't see them scrapping it though...

6 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by jargonzboi(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2016
I support him on this one.

Say NO to ethnic discrimination in Nigeria.

It is long overdue.

That is the geography of the Earth's surface.

13 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by IllegalMoney: 7:33am On Jun 18, 2016
Fulani herds men will become Governors in Lagos and South West States

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by industrious: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Good and bad

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by OCTAVO: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Ok
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by opalu: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
One Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Earth2Metahuman: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Another chaos looming

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
This can never be the solution to naija's problem, our politicians are funny set of people, please tell melaye to think more for a proper solution ..Pls vote for lanicky

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Zico5(m): 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Selfish man, its better to maintain the state of origin cos Nigeria has never been divided like this. What we need is resource control and how to find solution to ethnic bigotry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by bigtalla(m): 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Long overdue.... This is the major problem in Nigeria...Not oil

2 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
nice idea, Place of Birth instead

3 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Earth2Metahuman: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
IllegalMoney:
Fulani herds men will become Governors in Lagos and South West States
and finally turn south east to cattle ranch grin

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by demarc001: 7:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Which region Except minority will accept? I hope he is not speaking now cos of oil

Yoruba man will always want to cling to his omonile status, Igbo man will never allow another tribe to rule him in his land an Housa man will not consider some other religion person (infidel) a place in his land.

3 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by izzou(m): 7:35am On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And this is also the best for my igbo brothers

And you believe all what you just wrote??

Its not just the name that makes us all different. We are different naturally.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 18, 2016
Motion supported.....We all need to start seeing ourselves as ONE. Discrimination, Tribalism and Corruption are the main problems killing us as a Nation.

According to the "Commonsense" Senator Ben B, America is great today because the principle of oneness.

2 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by engrjosefz(m): 7:35am On Jun 18, 2016
But y
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nkem4040: 7:36am On Jun 18, 2016
We all know this will benefit Igbos more since they are scattered in all states. As usual Hausa-Fulani and yoruba will cry wolf to stop it when they see Igbos are benefiting

4 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by code11(m): 7:37am On Jun 18, 2016
This will be a welcome development. But our senators from the north will not vote for that. Imagine what will happen in admission and civil service employment? Imagine everyone has an equal chance of employment... How many northerners will be in good Universities, civil service and the army?

Removal of state of origin means removal of catchment area. I remember when I took federal common entrance exam... I scored 456 over 600 still I was not invited to the interview because I was from Anambra state. People from Sokoto, Adamawa and some other state were invited with scores as low as 100. How fair is this.?

When I wrote jamb for uni... I had 297 to be admitted. But my fellow students from some of these catchment state just need to score 180. How fair is this..?

I support the removal but the issue has lingered for a long time. State of origin creates uneven and unequal opportunity

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by EbukaLive(m): 7:37am On Jun 18, 2016
Today is my Birthday. Just like this comment for no good reason at all...

6 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Gkemz: 7:37am On Jun 18, 2016
Good version of Rochas
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by DExplorer1: 7:38am On Jun 18, 2016
Dino is confused here!
What has ethnic bigotry got to do with relating and identifying with your source?
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by mrvitalis(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2016
izzou:

And you believe all what you just wrote??

Its not just the name that makes us all different. We are different naturally.
I grew up among different tribes and we are brothers till this day

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by code11(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2016
Maybe Malaye is just trying to redeem is dented image by coming up with a good agenda grin. Let him sponsor the bill and I will know he is serious.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Sylvaxxl1(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2016
This decision is just like a coin standing on neither head nor tail

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Police Handcuffed My Hands To A Car Seat" - Moses Motoni Narrates Experience / Presidential Appeal Panel: CUPP Alleges Plot By APC, CJN To Jettison Seniority / 2023: No Manipulations Of Any Form Will Be Allowed, Buhari Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.