Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality - Celebrities (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality (58488 Views)

Desmond Elliot And Uche Jombo's Throwback Photo / Uche Jombo And Her Son At Vegas Poolside Birthday Party [PICS] / Baba Dee Lends Support To Olori Wuraola's Over Her Speech On Gender Equality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 19, 2016
xx
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by yettidear(f): 4:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
My point is that gender equality should be shoved up the anus of its proponents. That's my point.

Can you use that against me? grin

Yeah, whatever makes you sleep well at night.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
yettidear:

Yeah, whatever makes you sleep well at night.
gringringrin
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2016
sukkot:
brah you pulled that number out of yo ass. watch this

Lol, you pulled out census from 2011 of those who still carry US passports and were born in the US without the ones born in the UK. And that even showed almost 200,000. A lot of people don't even fill census forms lol. If what you posted had been from the US embassy in London, then you'll have an argument. That was even before Boris started building those affluent high rise residential buildings all over London and a lot of the developers and buyers are Americans.

Also, from the data about foreign nationals who became British citizens last year, the number of Americans should be about four times the number of Nigerians. And there are gazillion of Nigerians in the UK - so that's another another to show you how big the American population in the UK is. Outside of Poles, I think yanks are the biggest immigrant population in the UK.

Anyway, I work in the city and I meet loads of them. And I go to the coastal cities a lot, especially Kent and Hastings/Eastbourne. So I know what I'm talking about. If census for 2011 could show 200,000 - their actual population including new immigrants and those born here should be 3/4 times that number.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by yettidear(f): 5:01pm On Jun 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
gringringrin

When you have daughters you will understand that gender 'roles' is not the same as gender 'equality'. Until then enjoy and relax my broda. wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by sukkot: 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
Shym3xx:

Lol, you pulled out census from 2011 of those who still carry US passports and were born in the US without the ones born in the UK. And that even showed almost 200,000 . A lot of people don't even fill census forms lol. If what you posted had been from the US embassy in London, then you'll have an argument. That was even before Boris started building those affluent high rise residential buildings all over London and a lot of the developers and buyers are Americans.

Also, from the data about foreign nationals who became British citizens last year, the number of Americans should be about four times the number of Nigerians. And there are gazillion of Nigerians in the UK - so that's another another to show you how big the American population in the UK is. Outside of Poles, I think yanks are the biggest immigrant population in the UK.

Anyway, I work in the city and I meet loads of them. And I go to the coastal cities a lot, especially Kent and Hastings/Eastbourne. So I know what I'm talking about. If census for 2011 could show 200,000 - their actual population including new immigrants and those born here should be 3/4 times that number.
so between 2011 and now 800,000 more americans moved and settled in britain ? GTFOH.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by sarahade(f): 5:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
well, blame that on your parents instead of making it seem as if that is how it happens in the whole of Nigeria. For the raped girl, I think it was a family thing and they didn't want to bring shame to the family so they settled it amicably. I don't think they killed the matter cos they wanted to favour the man.
You think!!! Oga go rest.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by sarahade(f): 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
well, blame that on your parents instead of making it seem as if that is how it happens in the whole of Nigeria. For the raped girl, I think it was a family thing and they didn't want to bring shame to the family so they settled it amicably. I don't think they killed the matter cos they wanted to favour the man.
You think!!! Oga go rest. Ignorance is a disease I don't blame the likes of you.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
Shym3xx:

Lol, you pulled out census from 2011 of those who still carry US passports and were born in the US without the ones born in the UK. And that even showed almost 200,000. A lot of people don't even fill census forms lol. If what you posted had been from the US embassy in London, then you'll have an argument. That was even before Boris started building those affluent high rise residential buildings all over London and a lot of the developers and buyers are Americans.

Big Shym3xx, how are you voting come thursday? IN or OUT
I think the right wing/ conservatives have a good argument on this.. The EU has lot of restrictions and limitations,not letting countries harness their full potentials. Not being able to negotiate your own deal..
Perhaps, aside Germany and France, I don't think any other country(in the EU) is really benefiting a lot from this union.. Others are just too timid/scared to voice out their opinion..

Not a good news for some eastern European immigrants who have been claiming benefits in the UK.. lol grin grin
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Eke40seven(m): 6:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ogbeche77:
I think the right wing/ conservatives have a good argument on this.. The EU has lot of restrictions and limitations,not letting countries harness their full potentials. Not being able to negotiate your own deal..
Perhaps, aside Germany and France, I don't think any other country(in the EU) is really benefiting a lot from this union.. Others are just too timid/scared to voice out their opinion..

Not a good news for some eastern European immigrants who have been claiming benefits in the UK.. lol grin grin
Apart from the UK, German and France are actually the only other countries tha t have given more than they have gained. I believe UK will stay.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by RedCapChief(m): 6:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
MissGdope:
I see people chanting men are the head of this and that. Nobody is saying they're not the head of the family. Gender equality is important for one of the scenarios she stated - equal pay. Why should a man get more salary than a woman for the same job? it is wrong. Gender equality doesn't be little men, it empowers women to be more confident. There are many women/girls out there who will not even bother with education because they know a guy will be picked over them. This legislation will make girls more interested in Education, have higher aspirations in life because they know they will be treated equally in a work/education environment. My 2 pence.

P.S. I'm not a feminist, just someone who thinks equality is important no matter the age, gender, race, tribe etc

Men and women get paid equally for the same job. The "wage-gap difference" is due to the higher percentage of men in higher paying jobs.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by sukkot: 6:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
Shym3xx:

bro you want to put money on this game tonight ? no bit-ch move this time around. if you not willing to pay up just say NO. we too grown to be playing kiddie games out here. is you down brah ?
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by RedCapChief(m): 6:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
Gbyte:
I am still finding it hard to understand what people are saying about gender equality. In Nigeria where I am and grew up. The only place where females don't have same right to education is in the north, and if you ask me, it's not even what a bill can do, because if a bill is passed for this purpose, is the bill going to fund the child's fees and cost of living ? If a father has said, 'I am not educating my female child'. Is it not better to educate the man to see reasons as to why his child needs education instead of passing a bill? And as per Job opportunities, women are heading very powerful ministries in Nigeria, Deputy governors inclusive. We have great examples like Late Dora Akunyuli, Dieziani, Stella Oduah, Anne Ene-Ita and many more. If these women are heading powerful positions, then what are we fighting for about gender equality. Lastly, marriage, the role of a woman and a man in marriage is different and it can only be so. The only aspect where I think you women are fighting for is to be the custodian of a children and property automatically immediately the man dies, but this aspect is why we have a will, if a man has a will, I think all of these would be very simple, but we should also look at a point whereby a man dies when the woman is very young, in this situation, the woman would most likely marry another man, are you saying it's right for the woman to take everything the man has acquired and go marry another man? If I'm asked, I would say no, so if that is the case, the woman should get a certain percentage of the property and the rest be given to the kids. So I don't know what these people are talking about o, someone should enlighten me more. @uchejombo please explain to me what I don't understand here.

Very well said.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 19, 2016
RedCapChief:

Men and women get paid equally for the same job. The "wage-gap difference" is due to the higher percentage of men in higher paying jobs.
That's my point exactly. why are there less women in these higher paying jobs?
2 reasons:

1. Gender discrimination on the part of the employer - a lot of people are ignorant as they think that women are not intelligent enough ad so men should get the jobs instead. Also, some have a backwards mentality, thinking that a woman's "place" is in the kitchen and not a work place.

2. Not enough girls getting the qualifications - this is as a result of girls not being optimistic about education because they know that a an would most likely be picked over them.

That's why I think the bill is useful as it will make such discriminations illegal and therefore give victims the right to report to authority hence reducing or putting a stop to it

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
MissGdope:

That's my point exactly. why are there less women in these higher paying jobs?
2 reasons:

1. Gender discrimination on the part of the employer - a lot of people are ignorant as they think that women are not intelligent enough ad so men should get the jobs instead. Also, some have a backwards mentality, thinking that a woman's "place" is in the kitchen and not a work place.

2. Not enough girls getting the qualifications - this is as a result of girls not being optimistic about education because they know that a an would most likely be picked over them.

That's why I think the bill is useful as it will make such discriminations illegal and therefore give victims the right to report to authority hence reducing or putting a stop to it
and you think an employer will employ a female simply because a law permits it? As of the law added a dime to the starting of his company.

If a company feels they don't want to employ a female, nobody can query them. They have their reasons even if it is to put down the females. But we can all complain only if such happens in a civil service.

pls mention 10 companies that don't allow females to aspire to the pinnacle?
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by rachiwise(f): 9:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
and you think an employer will employ a female simply because a law permits it? As of the law added a dime to the starting of his company.

If a company feels they don't want to employ a female, nobody can query them. They have their reasons even if it is to put down the females. But we can all complain only if such happens in a civil service.

pls mention 10 companies that don't allow females to aspire to the pinnacle?

There are ten ways women are discriminated against in the work place. If it can be happening in the US, it is such as hell happening under your nose in Nigeria. So don't say it is not in Naija. See the 10 ways by Collegetimes;

10 Surprising Statistics on Women in the Workplace
BY COLLEGETIMES | FEBRUARY 15, 2010
Flickr
While there is no doubt that women have come a long way from the discrimination and struggles they faced in the previous century when it came to getting an education and finding a job, the sad reality is that when you look at the hard facts, there is still a fair amount of inequality when it comes to women’s role in the working world. Whether you’re a working woman yourself or just want to help support the rights of women, these facts are a surefire wake-up call that women still don’t always get a fair shake when it comes to getting paid, attaining promotions, or entering certain fields. Take a moment to read through these ten eye-opening stats to see where women really are in the working world and get some inspiration to see where changes need to be made and where advancements can be lauded for this generation and the next.

1. Women comprise 46% of the total U.S. labor force. With almost half of the workforce being women, female employees aren’t exactly a rarity. For most women today, getting a job is an expected part of life. This is a big change from past decades. In 1900, fewer than 20% of women participated in the labor market while today the number is around 75% and growing.

2. Women make only 77.5 cents for every dollar that men earn. This figure comes from data on the 2003 census. Despite this gap, many economists feel that the gap between pay for men and women is due to different personal choices men and women make about personal fulfillment, child rearing and hours at work. Whichever you choose to believe, the reality is that the gap is slowly but surely closing as women become increasingly educated and dual income families become the norm, but this isn’t much consolation to those who feel discriminated against today.

3. The more education a woman has, the greater the disparity in her wages. This certainly doesn’t mean women should shy away from professional positions, but they should be aware that they may have to battle harder for equal pay. Women in professional specialty occupations were found to earn just 72.7% of what men in the same position earned, and women in upper level executive, administrative and managerial occupations earned even less at 72.3%. If you compare this against the average of 77.5%, the numbers speak for themselves, and this graphic from the New York Times makes it even easier to see.

4. Women may work longer to receive the promotions that provide access to higher pay. One example provided by the National Center for Education Statistics shows that women often have to work three years longer in a teaching position to be promoted to a principal than their male counterparts. Some studies suggest that this is because women and men adapt different strategies when it comes to management and pursuing promotions, yet other studies connect it less to work and more to gender-based biases.

5. Women business owners employ 35% more people than all the Fortune 500 companies combined. If you’re like most people, you don’t picture a woman when you think about a business owner. Yet there are about 9.1 million women-owned businesses in the U.S., a number that comprises nearly 40% of all businesses. The idea that women don’t make good managers just doesn’t hold up when you look at these kinds of numbers, with women managing a large number of employees and making healthy profits while doing so.

6. Women account for 46% of the labor force, but 59% of workers making less than $8 an hour. What does it mean? It means that many women are taking on jobs that pay well under a living wage. With nearly 16% of U.S. households having women who are divorced, widowed or never married as the sole providers, this leaves many women at a distinct disadvantage and struggling to make ends meet as they dominate jobs in low paying fields.

7. Only 53% of employers provide at least some replacement pay during periods of maternity leave. Despite the fact that the arrival of a child means extra bills and expenses, many employers don’t provide women with any benefits if they to leave work temporarily to have a child. While there is no law requiring companies to offer paid maternity leave, considering it is an issue that primarily affects women, it’s certainly a blow to their income potential and ability to care for their families and themselves.

8. Four in ten businesses worldwide have no women in senior management. This shouldn’t be a surprise given the way many countries feel about women in the workplace. Here in the United States, however, women still feel the stress of trying to break into upper management, with 93% of the 439 senior women executives surveyed by Korn/Ferry International in 1992 feeling that a glass ceiling for women still existed. Yet new studies report that women outnumber men as managers in fields like human resources, health administration and education–perhaps stemming from reports that many businesses have seen a direct financial impact from hiring women.

9. Women earned less than men in 99% of all occupations. In virtually every field that women choose to enter, they can expect to earn less over their lifetime than their male counterparts. This means that over 47 years of full-time work, this gap amounts to an estimated loss in wages for women of $700,000 for high school graduates, $1.2 million for college grads, and $2 million for professional school grads–a staggering amount.

10. Minority women fare the worst when it comes to equal pay. African-American women earn 64 cents to every dollar earned by white men and Hispanic women just 52 cents per dollar. Whether it’s attitudes about race or gender that are at play, it’s clear that something needs to be done to level the playing field.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by mickeymimi: 9:49pm On Jun 19, 2016
Gender equality is not a womans issue , it a human issue,, it affects us all......It means the views of both men and women should receive same treatment and to stop violence and discrimination against women .

Today women compete with men to take on jobs, However they must take care of their household needs before doing so.. Women are personification of courage and determination...............although I've seen some good men dropping their children off at the minder , schools , feeding them, cooking even washing dishes while their wives are at work .. or if they have to work long hours.

In terms of employment discrimination....Gendered arrangement of work , care and plan........ just cus a woman is pregnant , nursing a baby or starting a family does not mean she has to loose her job or cannot apply for some jobs she is qualified for....The worst is not being allowed to have kids while in some employment......while in some part of the world you will see a 7 month pregnant lady on TV interviewing people , reading the news and doing it so well...not by limiting them cus of this or that.

in terms of work place..as in ideal worker or committed worker....a man can work fulltime for 40 years straight .. while most women are not able to conform to the ideal worker role cus they are expected to fulfil their caretaker role and take time off for domestic reasons ..pregnancy, ill family member etc. Gender equality is also trying to change that for women so they are allowed to have time off and to understand and work round them... that will encourage a lot of nursing women to work.

to stop harmful practises to girls and women .. to let them have a say......such Female Genital mutilations , forced feeding, forced abortions, forced marriages...bride price and marital power.. is included because some men feel they own the women and subject them to all kinds of abuse ( marital rape, Domestic violence, abuse on requirement to bear children, society stigma and preventing them from leaving abusive marriages..........because they paid their bride price.....
women being unable to ask hubby to use condom .. rather than her taking pills due to her health conditions.....reproduction decisions .. etc

to stop dominance over women... men should not be allowed to molest women in any way or form either at home , work and in public .. just cus a woman dresses certain way or drunk does not give men the right to touch her.... beating women...s3x without consent or forced s3x, to encourage abused women to speak out ... law and protection for them. .. employers to stop using women as s3x tools to promote their businesses.. to stop sexual advances towards women at work.... women trafficking.... baby factory etc

Women want to be well represented in their parliaments and in decision making of the country...not that they want to take over... as in political participation.

The Gender equality bill is needed to enable women contribute more to development of a nation without any form limitation , fear or discrimination, and to stop exploitation of women by making them aware of their rights..

Most men already encourage Gender equality without even realising it ... smiley e.g 1* A couple working ,the man sharing chores and running of their home so that wifey could go to work............No 2 is where the problem lies >Wifey working without the fear of discrimination, exploitation, abuse, unable to reduce her hours to see more of hers kids or start a family , unable to run her home properly, advances from male bosses , fear of losing her job, argument with hubby cos of work and money problems .... should also be the hubbys worry too etc.

3( Most modern day men will never allow their daughter to be subjected to the above.. some even train their daughters like sons

This is not about disobeying your hubby or being the head of your family.... It might not be happening where you are but it is still happening indirectly or directly in some part of the country.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 10:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ogbeche77:

I think we're better in the EU, than out. Then again folks will always cite jobs and how these folks have dragged wages down. You also have issues of housing, stress on NHS, crime etc.. But at the end of the day, there are gazillion of Brits all over Europe as well. There might even be more Brits moving to other countries in Europe than those moving here. And these ethnic Brits commit crime as well all over Europe...they're notorious for getting drunk and shagging all kinds of prostitutes everywhere, while disturbing the peace. Even the drug trafficking market - British mobs run Western Europe. So it's a two way street and a lot of jobs EU nationals do, most Brits can't do these jobs.

I'm voting to stay in the EU...fvck their emotions. It's kind of mad if you go all over Essex and deep in Kent with big posters everywhere for "Vote to Leave". Heck, some even have "Vote to Leave" posters in front of their houses lool.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 10:18pm On Jun 19, 2016
sukkot:
bro you want to put money on this game tonight ? no bit-ch move this time around. if you not willing to pay up just say NO. we too grown to be playing kiddie games out here. is you down brah ?

Lol, we've a bill on it already.

Or are you looking for a side bet on just game 7, big bredrin? grin
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
Shym3xx:

I think we're better in the EU, than out. Then again folks will always cite jobs and how these folks have dragged wages down. You also have issues of housing, stress on NHS, crime etc.. But at the end of the day, there are gazillion of Brits all over Europe as well. There might even be more Brits moving to other countries in Europe than those moving here. And these ethnic Brits commit crime as well all over Europe...they're notorious for getting drunk and shagging all kinds of prostitutes everywhere, while disturbing the peace. Even the drug trafficking market - British mobs run Western Europe. So it's a two way street and a lot of jobs EU nationals do, most Brits can't do these jobs.

I'm voting to stay in the EU...fvck their emotions. It's kind of mad if you go all over Essex and deep in Kent with big posters everywhere for "Vote to Leave". Heck, some even have "Vote to Leave" posters in front of their houses lool.
I know quite a number of brits who either have start up tech company in Berlin or working for one. Most are disgusted a referendum is even holding.. They can't imagine the load of paperwork, govt bureaucracy, visa issues, work permit, tax remittance et.al they may get involved with if Britain votes out..

And the powers that be may also be spiteful if the UK leaves.. lol
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 10:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ogbeche77:
I know quite a number of brits who either have start up tech company in Berlin or working for one. Most are disgusted a referendum is even holding.. They can't imagine the load of paperwork, govt bureaucracy, visa issues, work permit, tax remittance et.al they may get involved with if Britain votes out..

And the powers that be may also be spiteful if the UK leaves.. lol

Lol, you're even talking about Berlin. Go to Southern Spain, Portugal, and Cyprus where they own thousands of houses and have massive communities. They love those three countries.

More concessions to protect London and perhaps a few restrictions on NHS and benefits. That's about it. The UK will crash on its own - foreigners are the ones bringing all the money into London and doing the jobs most won't do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 19, 2016
rachiwise:

There are ten ways women are discriminated against in the work place. If it can be happening in the US, it is such as hell happening under your nose in Nigeria. So don't say it is not in Naija. See the 10 ways by Collegetimes;

10 Surprising Statistics on Women in the Workplace
BY COLLEGETIMES | FEBRUARY 15, 2010
Flickr
While there is no doubt that women have come a long way from the discrimination and struggles they faced in the previous century when it came to getting an education and finding a job, the sad reality is that when you look at the hard facts, there is still a fair amount of inequality when it comes to women’s role in the working world. Whether you’re a working woman yourself or just want to help support the rights of women, these facts are a surefire wake-up call that women still don’t always get a fair shake when it comes to getting paid, attaining promotions, or entering certain fields. Take a moment to read through these ten eye-opening stats to see where women really are in the working world and get some inspiration to see where changes need to be made and where advancements can be lauded for this generation and the next.

1. Women comprise 46% of the total U.S. labor force. With almost half of the workforce being women, female employees aren’t exactly a rarity. For most women today, getting a job is an expected part of life. This is a big change from past decades. In 1900, fewer than 20% of women participated in the labor market while today the number is around 75% and growing.

2. Women make only 77.5 cents for every dollar that men earn. This figure comes from data on the 2003 census. Despite this gap, many economists feel that the gap between pay for men and women is due to different personal choices men and women make about personal fulfillment, child rearing and hours at work. Whichever you choose to believe, the reality is that the gap is slowly but surely closing as women become increasingly educated and dual income families become the norm, but this isn’t much consolation to those who feel discriminated against today.

3. The more education a woman has, the greater the disparity in her wages. This certainly doesn’t mean women should shy away from professional positions, but they should be aware that they may have to battle harder for equal pay. Women in professional specialty occupations were found to earn just 72.7% of what men in the same position earned, and women in upper level executive, administrative and managerial occupations earned even less at 72.3%. If you compare this against the average of 77.5%, the numbers speak for themselves, and this graphic from the New York Times makes it even easier to see.

4. Women may work longer to receive the promotions that provide access to higher pay. One example provided by the National Center for Education Statistics shows that women often have to work three years longer in a teaching position to be promoted to a principal than their male counterparts. Some studies suggest that this is because women and men adapt different strategies when it comes to management and pursuing promotions, yet other studies connect it less to work and more to gender-based biases.

5. Women business owners employ 35% more people than all the Fortune 500 companies combined. If you’re like most people, you don’t picture a woman when you think about a business owner. Yet there are about 9.1 million women-owned businesses in the U.S., a number that comprises nearly 40% of all businesses. The idea that women don’t make good managers just doesn’t hold up when you look at these kinds of numbers, with women managing a large number of employees and making healthy profits while doing so.

6. Women account for 46% of the labor force, but 59% of workers making less than $8 an hour. What does it mean? It means that many women are taking on jobs that pay well under a living wage. With nearly 16% of U.S. households having women who are divorced, widowed or never married as the sole providers, this leaves many women at a distinct disadvantage and struggling to make ends meet as they dominate jobs in low paying fields.

7. Only 53% of employers provide at least some replacement pay during periods of maternity leave. Despite the fact that the arrival of a child means extra bills and expenses, many employers don’t provide women with any benefits if they to leave work temporarily to have a child. While there is no law requiring companies to offer paid maternity leave, considering it is an issue that primarily affects women, it’s certainly a blow to their income potential and ability to care for their families and themselves.

8. Four in ten businesses worldwide have no women in senior management. This shouldn’t be a surprise given the way many countries feel about women in the workplace. Here in the United States, however, women still feel the stress of trying to break into upper management, with 93% of the 439 senior women executives surveyed by Korn/Ferry International in 1992 feeling that a glass ceiling for women still existed. Yet new studies report that women outnumber men as managers in fields like human resources, health administration and education–perhaps stemming from reports that many businesses have seen a direct financial impact from hiring women.

9. Women earned less than men in 99% of all occupations. In virtually every field that women choose to enter, they can expect to earn less over their lifetime than their male counterparts. This means that over 47 years of full-time work, this gap amounts to an estimated loss in wages for women of $700,000 for high school graduates, $1.2 million for college grads, and $2 million for professional school grads–a staggering amount.

10. Minority women fare the worst when it comes to equal pay. African-American women earn 64 cents to every dollar earned by white men and Hispanic women just 52 cents per dollar. Whether it’s attitudes about race or gender that are at play, it’s clear that something needs to be done to level the playing field.

who is this one giving me statistics from America?

I said give me 10 ways women are deprived in Nigeria. What's our business with what happens in the rest of the world?
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by yettidear(f): 12:26am On Jun 20, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
who is this one giving me statistics from America?

I said give me 10 ways women are deprived in Nigeria. What's our business with what happens in the rest of the world?

Read what she said "There are ten ways women are discriminated against in the work place. If it can be happening in the US, it is such as hell happening under your nose in Nigeria. So don't say it is not in Naija."

Understand English much?! tongue
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 12:29am On Jun 20, 2016
Sukkot

Where are you at?

Stay awake, my nyggah.

Game is about to start lol.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by RaeMystix: 1:41am On Jun 20, 2016
Opiletool:

A lot has happened between 4months ago and now. Keep dwelling on history my dear. None of those in that her cycle can stand before her now. Olajumoke was once a common bread seller, now she's more relevant than you are.

I do not care if both Olajumoke( whom I am a big fan of), and Wuraola ( a woman who is known for sleeping her way to the top), are more relevant than I am.The fact that you think a Tittle or a social elevation can change one's character, does say alot about your level of thinking.I hope you aren't an adult. If so, What a shame. Your static level of thinking is appalling.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Shym3xx: 3:41am On Jun 20, 2016
Sukkot Sukkot Sukkot Sukkot Sukkot Sukkot

Where are you?

THE CAVS ARE CHAMPS!!!!

WHERE IS MY £100?

THE CHAMP!!!!!! KING LEBRON JAMES!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 20, 2016
yettidear:

Read what she said "There are ten ways women are discriminated against in the work place. If it can be happening in the US, it is such as hell happening under your nose in Nigeria. So don't say it is not in Naija."

Understand English much?! tongue
list the 10 ways it happens in Nigeria and stop giving me American statistics. At least we all live here, not in America. If you can't just it then it doesn't happen
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Opiletool(m): 8:52am On Jun 20, 2016
RaeMystix:

I do not care if both Olajumoke( whom I am a big fan of), and Wuraola ( a woman who is known for sleeping her way to the top), are more relevant than I am.The fact that you think a Tittle or a social elevation can change one's character, does say alot about your level of thinking.I hope you aren't an adult. If so, What a shame. Your static level of thinking is appalling.

You've done things in the past you wish you haven't done right? Are you now saying you're capable of repeating such a mistake? And the fact that you've chosen to swallow the friend's story hook line and sinker speaks volume of your own ridiculous level of reasoning. You chose to believe the friend because wuraola chose not to reply the jealous bittch? Because a good friend wouldn't have done such a despicable thing.
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by edwife(f): 9:42am On Jun 20, 2016
fredoooooo:
Edwife better wife and pikin, what's your opinion on this gender equality wahala. ..

People need to educate themselves and know the difference between gender roles and gender equality.

2 Likes

Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by rachiwise(f): 10:28am On Jun 20, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
list the 10 ways it happens in Nigeria and stop giving me American statistics. At least we all live here, not in America. If you can't just it then it doesn't happen

Your ignorance is really appalling. "If you can't just it then it doesn't happen". Really??! Just continue to tell yourself that. It will make you sleep better at night. You are living in Naija but you are just existing, you don't know what is going on. Pele o.

You give me 10 companies that do treat women fairly in Nigeria and in 10 ways they do. If you can not list them, then they do not exist. grin shocked
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 20, 2016
rachiwise:

Your ignorance is really appalling. "If you can't just it then it doesn't happen". Really??! Just continue to tell yourself that. It will make you sleep better at night. You are living in Naija but you are just existing, you don't know what is going on. Pele o.

You give me 10 companies that do treat women fairly in Nigeria and in 10 ways they do. If you can not list them, then they do not exist. grin shocked
the space you occupied up there would have been enough to list the 10 ways women are deprived in Nigeria, but instead you wasted it by replying me with a question.

Why would any company treat a woman fairly? Are the male counterparts not treated in whatever rude manner too? Oh, you want preferential treatment cos you have Pvssy, or what?
Re: Uche Jombo Blasts Wuraola Ogunwusi Over Her Speech On Gender Equality by sukkot: 11:24am On Jun 20, 2016
Shym3xx:
Sukkot

Where are you at?

Stay awake, my nyggah.

Game is about to start lol.

man i slept halfway through the game. thats how boring the game was. NBA aint what it used to be mayne undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Violence, Sex Mar Mayorkun’s Concert In Ibadan, Davido Bouncer Beats Journalist / Leo Dasilva Reacts To Cee-C's Look To 2018 AMVCA / Jim Iyke's Multi-Million Naira Burgeon Global Company In Abuja(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.