Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. (40511 Views)

Tasha Cobbs’ #heartpassionpursuit Album Hits No.1 On Billboard Charts / Davido's "IF" Finally Debuts On Billboard / D'banj Was The First Nigerian Artist To Be Featured On The Billboard Charts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by naptu2: 11:29am On Jun 19, 2016
[size=14pt]List of some nigerians that have been ranked on Billboard charts.[/size]

Billboard Magazine is a popular music magazine. It (along with Right On Magazine) was very popular in Nigeria in the 1980s and '90s. Billboard is also well known for its popular music charts, the most famous of which are the Hot 100 Chart and the 200 Album Chart.

Quite a few nigerians have appeared on Billboard charts over the years and they include:

1) Babatunde Olatunji's album, Drums Of Passion, was number 13 on the charts in 1960 (Babatunde Olatunji also won a Grammy Award).

Babatunde Olatunji also featured on the album Planet Drum, which was number 1 on the Billboard World Music Album Chart in 1991 and won a Grammy Award for best world music album (also in 1991).

2) Sikiru Adepoju was the second nigerian that featured on the album, Planet Drum which was number 1 on the Billboard World Music Album Chart in 1991 and won a Grammy Award for best world music album (also in 1991).

3) Sunny Ade's Synchro System was number 91 on the Billboard Pop Album Chart in 1983.

4) Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's album, Live In Detroit, was number 9 Billboard World Music Album Chart in 1986.

[img]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0003/349/MI0003349044.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/img]

5) Dr Alban's It's My Life was number 3 on the Billboard Hot Dance Music Club Play chart, number 4 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales chart, number 28 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart and number 88 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1992. (This song was also used in adverts and soap operas in the UK, Germany and India).

6) Lagbaja's We Before Me was number 15 on the Billboard World Music Album Chart in 2001.

7) Femi Kuti's album, Africa For Africa was number 12 on the Billboard World Music Album Chart in 2011.

Femi's album, No Place For My Dream was number 7 on the Billboard World Music Chart in 2013.

[img]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0003/556/MI0003556351.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/img]

8 ) Asa's Beautiful Imperfection album was number 3 on the Billboard World Album chart in 2011.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/327566_59397_110463132347225_107355562657982_81276_4082127_n_jpgedde2a6cdc18a2edf22b75c515d8517b

9) D'Banj's Oliver Twist was number 9 on the Billboard's UK Official Single's Chart in 2012.

10) 2face Idibia's The Ascension album was number 12 on the Billboard World Album chart in 2014.

11) Wizkid was number 97 on the Billboard 100 Artists Chart in May 2016.

Wizkid also featured with Kyla on Drake's song titled One Dance, which got to number 1 on the Billboard Twitter Last 24 Hours Chart on April 12, 2016. The Billboard Twitter Last 24 Hours Chart is a relatively new chart and Wizkid is the first nigerian to feature on this specific chart. The song also got to number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Faremisodeeq(m): 11:41am On Jun 19, 2016
. COLO MENTALITY. I mean says you be colonial man but you never release yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by HardMirror(m): 12:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Very informative. Don't know why everyone is hyping wizkid, he is trying but he aint a legend yet. Being featured by american acts is fantastic for his career, but it's not a statement that he would be a music icon of academic or historical relevance.
Sunny ade,
Fela,
Sikiru adepoju,
Victor owiafo,
Raskimo,
Onyeka owenu
And maybe Tu face, are the real Nigerian icons.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by CzarRex: 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
op tell 'em ooh, tell those wizkid fans that are already calling him a legend for being featured by drake,salivating,gallivanting up and down claiming he's the best, 9ja ever producedtongue

until wizkid lands a no. 1 or atleast a top40 hit by himself as a lead artist on the Billboards Hot 100 will i acknowledge that he is on his way to legendary status.but as for now he's one of the best but not the best 9ja ever produced

and also more info on d'banj's own

the oliver twist song made it to number 2 on the billboard UK pop songs making dbanj the first and only 9ja/african artist to rank that high on the chart

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by TeamSimple(m): 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why nairaland boring today like this?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by chinoify: 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Iamlordgee(m): 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
K
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by metrosexual: 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Really?
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by wizyhuma(f): 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
We are great people am not surprised

1 Like

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Almost all are Yorubas! Only one biafrauud. We lead, others follow.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by chinoify: 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Incomplete... My name isn't among

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by teekrackz(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Coming soon
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by orimsamsam(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
80% are Yoruba. It not an understatement to say yorubas lead other follows. A ju ara wa lo
Ijakadi ko

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by bqlekan(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
seeing Lady gaga's picture up there, I was like shocked shuuuuu shocked Gaga na Nigerian?

Abeg, that 'one dance' who heard wizkid's voice on it? i downloaded over 20 versions of that track, hoping to hear wizkid say something, even his trademark, 'yaga' will suffice. I even downloaded African China cover of the song too, hoping to hear his part. If you have Wizkid's park, kindly cut the part and send it to my mail.
Eshey pupo.

Modified

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by englishmart(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
what of Buhari?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Dandeson1(m): 2:05pm On Jun 19, 2016
The person above me is a matured ipodian fooool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by bolt000(m): 2:05pm On Jun 19, 2016
HardMirror:
Very informative. Don't know why everyone is hyping wizkid, he is trying but he aint a legend yet. Being featured by american acts is fantastic for his career, but it's not a statement that he would be a music icon of academic or historical relevance.
Sunny ade,
Fela,
Sikiru adepoju,
Victor owiafo,
Raskimo,
Onyeka owenu
And maybe Tu face, are the real Nigerian icons.
Style Style Hating!

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Pavore9: 2:06pm On Jun 19, 2016
While some kids with no sense of history were claiming wizkid as the best ever was. I don't blame them as they are of the indomie generation!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Beehshorp(m): 2:06pm On Jun 19, 2016
And one indomie generation op opened a thread to be saying rubbish!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by ALAYORMII: 2:06pm On Jun 19, 2016
Educate them Indomie gen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by bright007(f): 2:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
This list is a beautiful nonsense and incomplete if Seun's ex Tonto Dike is not there..... I repeat Tonto Dike should be there.

Storms outta thread

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Ferdinandu(m): 2:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
I doff my hat for my Brethrens from Ewedu and Amala Republic. They just populated the list. grin grin grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by MrCow(m): 2:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
The poster above Me is high on Osogbo weed

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by bbulldog(m): 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
Thank God, I don't like the hype for kidwiz
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by MyParadise(m): 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
Thats good one
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by koladebrainiac(m): 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
Yoruba representing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by tolexy111: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Yoruba repping us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by NCP: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Luvly. From only one part of the Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by neolboy(m): 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
And someone opened a thread that wizkid was the best Nigerian artist because he was featured on billboard chart not even knowing that he was number 10

1 Like

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Yorubas run Nigerian music.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by MoneyGreen(m): 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
I keep hearing vote for refiner, vote for refiner, vote for refiner.. Then I checked her pics and saw she's not even half as fine as rihana.. The thing come tire me got me feeling down like a miner.. Her face so white like the rice up in china.. Thou she likes rocking designers like dolce and gabbanas.. Omo no mind me I just dey whine her, if I get the chance omo I fit dine her.. And I no be rhymer. angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
But non of them smeelled the nyash of foreign artists for long... They kept on giving o
Us old shiis..

But guess what, only whizkid gives us new stuffs,faces, voices everyday in the name of collaboration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 16 Nigerian Music Videos With The Highest Views On Youtube In 2020 / MP3 Download: Davido – Sweet In The Middle Ft. Naira Marley, Zlatan Ibile, Wurld / R.kelly Mind Blowing Performance At The Voice Surprise Blind Audition Gone Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.