Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed (9872 Views)

5 Important Information Every Car Owner In Nigeria Must Know / The Best Car For A First Time Car User / 5 Mechanical Practices Every Car Owner Must Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by princemillla(m): 1:50pm On Jun 19, 2016
I was chatting with someone who travels alot. along our discussions, he mentioned something about custom stops vehicle and ask for custom papers.

I want to ask these questions

1. There are many cars either bought( may be 4th user) as used vehicle and probably didn't have custom papers or couldn't locate it. WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO

2. Do custom stops vehicle that have exceeded 10 years in Nigeria without custom paper

Pls help road user expecially those who travels alot from West to South etc
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2016
princemillla:
I was chatting with someone who travels alot. along our discussions, he mentioned something about custom stops vehicle and ask for custom papers.

1. There are many cars either bought( may be 4th user) as used vehicle and probably didn't have custom papers or couldn't locate it. WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO

2. Do custom stops vehicle that have exceeded 10 years in Nigeria without custom paper

[b]7years from first registration(ensure you carry all relevant proof to show car is 7years.)

If your vehicle has no custom duty, do not leave the current state you are in for 7years grin or go and pay custom duty/b]

4 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by wilcox(m): 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
You only have business with custom 3 months after you purchase your car be it tokunbo or new, after which you are not expected to carry your custom duty papers around.
But if you a novice the will always want to toss you around and extort money from you.

3 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by princemillla(m): 3:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

[b]7years from first registration(ensure you carry all relevant proof to show car is 7years.)

If your vehicle has no custom duty, do not leave the current state you are in for 7years grin or go and pay custom duty/b]

Thank you sir, My car has exceed 7 years and still counting. Will I av any issue with custom
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:34pm On Jun 19, 2016
princemillla:

Thank you sir, My car has exceed 7 years and still counting. Will I av any issue with custom

you do not need custom duty, just carry a copy of your certificate of ownership.

4 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by sultaan(m): 4:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
How logical is it in any society for government agency to ask for a document 7 years after it was initially issued.

Every agency has people on the road arresting indiscriminately to extort money when all they have to do is verify its paid before a license plate is issued plus yearly tax of about N500 which guarantees people always come back to be verified.

The problem with this duty thing is that only southerners are being extorted those who drive knows that once you get to certain parts of the country police and customs disappear from the roads

12 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
sultaan:
How logical is it in any society for government agency to ask for a document 7 years after it was initially issued.

Every agency has people on the road arresting indiscriminately to extort money when all they have to do is verify its paid before a license plate is issued plus yearly tax of about N500 which guarantees people always come back to be verified.

The problem with this duty thing is that only southerners are being extorted those who drive knows that once you get to certain parts of the country police and customs disappear from the roads

correct grin

9 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by princemillla(m): 5:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you do not need custom duty, just carry a copy of your certificate of ownership.

Thank you sir.... Appreciate this bro
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 11:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
wilcox:
You only have business with custom 3 months after you purchase your car be it tokunbo or new, after which you are not expected to carry your custom duty papers around.
But if you a novice the will always want to toss you around and extort money from you.

WHOEVER THAT HAS GIVEN YOU THIS INFO IS A BLOODY NOVICE. CUSTOM DOCUMENTS ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF NIGERIA EXPIRES AFTER SEVEN YEARS BUT YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE BEYOND DOUBT THAT YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN IN NIGERIA FOR SEVEN YEARS OR MORE....

IF YOU VEHICLE STILL FALLS WITHIN THE SEVEN YEAR GAP, JUST STAY IN YOUR STATE COS IN AREAS LIKE AKURE, BENIN-ORE, SAGAMU, ABEOKUTA - IBADAN AND LOKOJA, CUSTOM OFFICERS ARE EVEN IMPOUNDING VEHICLES WITH FAKE PAPERS, ZERO PAPERS OR SHORTPAYMENT. THE BEST BET IS TO ALWAYS HAVE YOUR PHOTOCOPIES NEAR YOU OR KNOW YOUR C-NUMBER OFFHAND.

MANY DEALERS ARE NOW FOUND OF TELLING CUSTOMERS THAT DUTY PAPERS WERE LOST INSTEAD OF TELLING THEM THAT THE VEHICLES WERE SMUGGLED INTO NIGERIA, MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR PAPERS PROCESSED EVEN IF YOU'RE BUYING USED CARS COS IF NCS MANAGES TO PROVE THAT EVEN AFTER SEVEN YEARS, YOUR VEHICLE CAN STILL BE IMPOUNDED IF IT WAS SMUGLED INTO NIGERIA....

THANKS.

6 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by sultaan(m): 1:47am On Jun 20, 2016
This impound word is used to scare people into extortion.

Good thing the economy of the country is going south now people will learn to fight back rather than let go of easy money of the past.

Those who benefit from this system have a habit of dropping the impound word in their posts like the topic about car insurance, registration check online, and speed limiter.

I believe there are individuals in whose interest it is for car owners pay for some bogus papers

1 Like

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 7:38am On Jun 20, 2016
sultaan:
This impound word is used to scare people into extortion.

Good thing the economy of the country is going south now people will learn to fight back rather than let go of easy money of the past.

Those who benefit from this system have a habit of dropping the impound word in their posts like the topic about car insurance, registration check online, and speed limiter.

I believe there are individuals in whose interest it is for car owners pay for some bogus papers

what is is bogus in paying import duty for freight and vehicles coming into your country, so are you saying that people should just import into anything they wish into NIGERIA free of charge or are you in support of smuggling vehicles into NIGERIA,kindly educate us and let is know any country in this world that doesn't charge import duty/tax...

Republic of Benin that isn't even up to two states in Nigeria charges custom duties even for bikes and you see the custom officers stop bikes ad cars on the road, what some cars even pay for duty and registration is up to N350,000..So what's bogus in paying customs duty?.... So a smuggled car should be allowed to go scotfree just because you see the process of paying duty as bogus?

Why would custom officers extort a vehicle owner when he has original duty papers with him/her. I had an instance where I processed duty papers for a client travelling down to bayelsa and when he got to patani,he was stopped and the papers where checked, the officer told him to pay N50,000 or the bus will be towed down to their office and the man had to call me, the first question I asked the officer was if he papers were fake and he said he checked from the assycuda unit and they were original but shortpaid. I was like, are you a valuation officer or what, call your valuation office and check from them and I told my client not to give them money but insist that the tow the vehicle into their office, to cut the long story short, they started begging him to at least drop something for them and even told me over the phone that Oga should wash the for them, the man later gave them N1,000 and left...

It's just like a policeman trying to extort you and if you give him/her the opportunity,he'll get away with it. If you've original duty papers with you and they value wasn't shirtwaist, you don't need to be scared of extortion or impound...

3 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by richkol(m): 2:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
saintjoel:

what is is bogus in paying import duty for freight and vehicles coming into your country, so are you saying that people should just import into anything they wish into NIGERIA free of charge or are you in support of smuggling vehicles into NIGERIA,kindly educate us and let is know any country in this world that doesn't charge import duty/tax...

Republic of Benin that isn't even up to two states in Nigeria charges custom duties even for bikes and you see the custom officers stop bikes ad cars on the road, what some cars even pay for duty and registration is up to N350,000..So what's bogus in paying customs duty?.... So a smuggled car should be allowed to go scotfree just because you see the process of paying duty as bogus?

Why would custom officers extort a vehicle owner when he has original duty papers with him/her. I had an instance where I processed duty papers for a client travelling down to bayelsa and when he got to patani,he was stopped and the papers where checked, the officer told him to pay N50,000 or the bus will be towed down to their office and the man had to call me, the first question I asked the officer was if he papers were fake and he said he checked from the assycuda unit and they were original but shortpaid. I was like, are you a valuation officer or what, call your valuation office and check from them and I told my client not to give them money but insist that the tow the vehicle into their office, to cut the long story short, they started begging him to at least drop something for them and even told me over the phone that Oga should wash the for them, the man later gave them N1,000 and left...

It's just like a policeman trying to extort you and if you give him/her the opportunity,he'll get away with it. If you've original duty papers with you and they value wasn't shirtwaist, you don't need to be scared of extortion or impound...

Pls I need advice on this your explanation. I bought a 2008 Honda Accord this year. I confirmed d customs paper to be genuine. I travelled with d car to Benin recently and I was stopped by customs along d Benin - Ore road and at Benin bye pass junction. The issue now is while d ones on d Benin Ore road checked d papers and asked me to give them something to " wash" d car which I give them 1k, d ones at d bye pass at Benin impounded d vehicle claiming d duty was short paid. I called d dealer who spoke with them that d car was accidented ( which I am aware of and it also reflected in price of d car) and that d duty paid was correct. After a lot of argument, delay and begging I parted with 20k before d car was released to me. The amount paid on d duty is about 160k. My question is this: is d 160k duty paid on d car small considering that d car was accidented or was I just ripped off by d customs and also what is d correct duty that is supposed to be paid on d car incase d duty paid is small. The car was through d land borders. Place I await your response
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2016
richkol:

Pls I need advice on this your explanation. I bought a 2008 Honda Accord this year. I confirmed d customs paper to be genuine. I travelled with d car to Benin recently and I was stopped by customs along d Benin - Ore road and at Benin bye pass junction. The issue now is while d ones on d Benin Ore road checked d papers and asked me to give them something to " wash" d car which I give them 1k, d ones at d bye pass at Benin impounded d vehicle claiming d duty was short paid. I called d dealer who spoke with them that d car was accidented ( which I am aware of and it also reflected in price of d car) and that d duty paid was correct. After a lot of argument, delay and begging I parted with 20k before d car was released to me. The amount paid on d duty is about 160k. My question is this: is d 160k duty paid on d car small considering that d car was accidented or was I just ripped off by d customs and also what is d correct duty that is supposed to be paid on d car incase d duty paid is small. The car was through d land borders. Place I await your response

your car was not impounded, it was abuse of power.

2 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2016
richkol:

ir, my first advice that will be offered is this,CHECK THE AUTHENTICITY OF YOUR PAPERS AND MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO LAPSES. You didn't state when the car was shipped into NIGERIA and when the papers were processed or where it was bought from. Also,accidents are rated as "salvage airbags deployed" or "chassis affected" and it's always stated in the bill of lading which means the BOL that was used to bring the car into Nigeria didn't state that or the original BOL wasn't used for declaration which makes it a false declaration,you can't meet custom officers and say dealer XYZ sold the car for N500,000 because it was accidented, they will certainly ask for proof and the only way to proove is with the papers that were used to ship the car into Nigeria..

Two,the papers you've with you were shortpaid and coming from a dealer, I'm not sure if there was no hanky-panky, he'll have called his agent to help you out or even told you to stand your ground... Bank charges for 08 accord is around N200,000 - N220,000,they saw the payment and decided to prey on you,your dealer could've done you a great deed if he has an agent that can defend that payment,a good agent wouldve looked for says of defending the N160,000 payment but MAKE SURE YOU RUN CHECKS ON YOUR DOCUMENTS...
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
princemillla:

let me chip in with my 2 cents

in zimbabwe for you to get the number plate of your car and owners book of a car that was imported you have to got the CVR in harare, there you show them the clearance papers (aka customs clearance certificate, police clearance, bill of entry release order) from the border, of which you would have paid your duty

with all your paperwork in order you get your number place and the owner's book

no customs duty officer on the road will question you about duty you paid

unless if your car is being investigated

so i dont know how your system works in nigeria but it seems like there is a loop that the customs duty officers are using to cash on ignorant motorist

then

if you are selling a car and want to change the ownership paper you still have to go to the CVR (Central Vehicle Registry) there are documents they require form both seller and buyer and these are

The following are required for the change of ownership to be processed:

1 Original vehicle registration book
2 valid police clearance (Validity period is 14 days from date of stamping)
3 proof of residence for both buyer and seller
4 National Identity Cards for both buyer and seller
5 Original agreement of sale with the following details
6 Details of buyer and seller i.e. full names, addresses and id numbers
7 Details of the vehicles sold i.e. make, model and year of manufacture, engine and chassis numbers.
8 Full sale price
9 Signature of both the buyer and the seller
10 An affidavit, signed and stamped by a Commissioner of Oaths will be required where the original agreement of sale has been lost.
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 10:08pm On Jun 20, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

let me chip in with my 2 cents

in zimbabwe for you to get the number plate of your car and owners book of a car that was imported you have to got the CVR in harare, there you show them the clearance papers (aka customs clearance certificate, police clearance, bill of entry release order) from the border, of which you would have paid your duty

with all your paperwork in order you get your number place and the owner's book

no customs duty officer on the road will question you about duty you paid

unless if your car is being investigated

so i dont know how your system works in nigeria but it seems like there is a loop that the customs duty officers are using to cash on ignorant motorist

then

if you are selling a car and want to change the ownership paper you still have to go to the CVR (Central Vehicle Registry) there are documents they require form both seller and buyer and these are

The following are required for the change of ownership to be processed:

1 Original vehicle registration book
2 valid police clearance (Validity period is 14 days from date of stamping)
3 proof of residence for both buyer and seller
4 National Identity Cards for both buyer and seller
5 Original agreement of sale with the following details
6 Details of buyer and seller i.e. full names, addresses and id numbers
7 Details of the vehicles sold i.e. make, model and year of manufacture, engine and chassis numbers.
8 Full sale price
9 Signature of both the buyer and the seller
10 An affidavit, signed and stamped by a Commissioner of Oaths will be required where the original agreement of sale has been lost.

Bro, that'll only work in a system that's almost 75% corruption free, the reason customs started stopping vehicles on the road was just because of smuggling, hundreds of vehicles are been smuggled into Nigeria daily with/without the knowledge of custom officers and the only way to curb smuggling was just to come to patrol major highways. Fraudulent agents, dealers and end users are also short paying the government daily by making false declarations every now and then,another major reason why officers are out on major highways but many of them have turned it into ways of extorting innocent commuters..
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by sultaan(m): 1:18am On Jun 21, 2016
Even Zimbabweans know the right thing to do but our people think it will take God himself to change things when they are the root of all evil.
There are 3 main actors to this ridiculous drama the car owner, the necessary middleman clearing agent , and custom officers.

The agent makes the payment to customs who signs documents that duty paid and owners are later being extort for money from custom for short duty. So 2 of the parties are the source of all these problems

It should not be possible to register a car whose duty has not been paid.

If not for the Zimbabwean some would have said it only works in oyinbo land

2 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 1:36am On Jun 21, 2016
sultaan:
Even Zimbabweans know the right thing to do but our people think it will take God himself to change things when they are the root of all evil.
There are 3 main actors to this ridiculous drama the car owner, the necessary middleman clearing agent , and custom officers.

The agent makes the payment to customs who signs documents that duty paid and owners are later being extort for money from custom for short duty. So 2 of the parties are the source of all these problems

It should not be possible to register a car whose duty has not been paid.

If not for the Zimbabwean some would have said it only works in oyinbo land

And where do you place the car owner that also knows what to pay but at the end of the day, decides to also use the agent as an accessory to short-changing the government. Do you think agents just act on their own, so many times have I heard car owners or dealers tell me as agent to just pay anything as bank charges and they'll take care of the rest.Do you care to know how many jobs I've lost just because I've stuck to my guns when it comes to payment of duty but these car owners will suddenly turn around and handover the jobs to agents with lesser quotes without caring how he/she does the job. THE AGENTS AND CUSTOM OFFICERS ARE ARE JUST A TINY FRACTION OF WHAT YHE LARGER NIGERIAN SOCIETY IS.CORRUPTION SPTEADS FROM THE CAR OWNERS TO THE AGENTS.85% of car owners know about SHORTPAYMENT and also encourage it, just because it lessens the money paid to government.
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by richkol(m): 10:57am On Jun 21, 2016
saintjoel:

ir, my first advice that will be offered is this,CHECK THE AUTHENTICITY OF YOUR PAPERS AND MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO LAPSES. You didn't state when the car was shipped into NIGERIA and when the papers were processed or where it was bought from. Also,accidents are rated as "salvage airbags deployed" or "chassis affected" and it's always stated in the bill of lading which means the BOL that was used to bring the car into Nigeria didn't state that or the original BOL wasn't used for declaration which makes it a false declaration,you can't meet custom officers and say dealer XYZ sold the car for N500,000 because it was accidented, they will certainly ask for proof and the only way to proove is with the papers that were used to ship the car into Nigeria..

Two,the papers you've with you were shortpaid and coming from a dealer, I'm not sure if there was no hanky-panky, he'll have called his agent to help you out or even told you to stand your ground... Bank charges for 08 accord is around N200,000 - N220,000,they saw the payment and decided to prey on you,your dealer could've done you a great deed if he has an agent that can defend that payment,a good agent wouldve looked for says of defending the N160,000 payment but MAKE SURE YOU RUN CHECKS ON YOUR DOCUMENTS...
I have checked the customs papers and confirmed it to be genuine. The car was brought to d country sometime in March through d seme boarder. The BOL clearly states that the car was salvaged but I am not sure if the BOL was used for d declaration because I didn't see anything like that on d customs papers. Also there seems to be a gap of about one month between when d car was cleared out of Cotonue and when d Nigerian customs duty was paid.
As it stands now, what do you suggest I do. Do I continue to use d customs papers like that even if I can't prove to them ( customs ) that the car is salvaged?
Two, is there anyway to make up d payment to about d 200k - 220k actual duty for d car as stated in your post. I am a frequent traveler and I don't want a situation that I will be constantly harassed by customs because of this short payment issue. Thanks.
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 11:30am On Jun 21, 2016
richkol:

I have checked the customs papers and confirmed it to be genuine. The car was brought to d country sometime in March through d seme boarder. The BOL clearly states that the car was salvaged but I am not sure if the BOL was used for d declaration because I didn't see anything like that on d customs papers. Also there seems to be a gap of about one month between when d car was cleared out of Cotonue and when d Nigerian customs duty was paid.
As it stands now, what do you suggest I do. Do I continue to use d customs papers like that even if I can't prove to them ( customs ) that the car is salvaged?
Two, is there anyway to make up d payment to about d 200k - 220k actual duty for d car as stated in your post. I am a frequent traveler and I don't want a situation that I will be constantly harassed by customs because of this short payment issue. Thanks.

Sir, there's no way you won't spend almost N150,000 to raise your bank charges, so my advice is that you leave it the way it is. If the BOL indicates that it was accidented,does it reflect in the BOL amongst the custom documents?

As long as the documents are genuine like you stated, tell your dealer to send his agent's mobile contacts and let him defend his job whenever you're stopped on the highway,if he/she is good in what they do and anytime you're stopped, be confident and don't flinch even under the threat of impound, stand in between politeness and aggressiveness but dont overdo the agressive part, it works most times....

2 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by princemillla(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Am learning seriously, kudos guys
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by richkol(m): 1:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
saintjoel:

Sir, there's no way you won't spend almost N150,000 to raise your bank charges, so my advice is that you leave it the way it is. If the BOL indicates that it was accidented,does it reflect in the BOL amongst the custom documents?

As long as the documents are genuine like you stated, tell your dealer to send his agent's mobile contacts and let him defend his job whenever you're stopped on the highway,if he/she is good in what they do and anytime you're stopped, be confident and don't flinch even under the threat of impound, stand in between politeness and aggressiveness but dont overdo the agressive part, it works most times....
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by richkol(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
saintjoel:

Thanks sir for your response. I think I will just stick to your advice and I hope I will not be intimidated by their "shakara ". I was also thinking d make up payment will be around d 100k mark and below, never knew it will be that high.
I have also tried calling my dealer for d agent's number but his line is switch off. I want relate all you have written to him and analyze his response for me to have a clearer picture of where I stand.

1 Like

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
richkol:

Thanks sir for your response. I think I will just stick to your advice and I hope I will not be intimidated by their "shakara ". I was also thinking d make up payment will be around d 100k mark and below, never knew it will be that high.
I have also tried calling my dealer for d agent's number but his line is switch off. I want relate all you have written to him and analyze his response for me to have a clearer picture of where I stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcVUqWv5Rs8
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by biggiyke(m): 10:06am On Jun 22, 2016
let me share my experience.

i bought my car, 2012 bmw x3, from cotonou last december. the agent charged me 650k to clear it. in january, i travelled to the east for a burial with my wife and son. i was stopped at benin by customs. they told me that my papers were genuine, but grossly underpaid. it was there that they showed me the actual duty paid was 160k!!! for a 2012 bmw x3!!! me sef i shock o. cos that is way toooooo small.

my saving grace that day was my wife and crying baby. they let me go, after 5k. if i was travelling alone, my car would definitely have been impounded there and then.

when i got back to lagos, i got in touch with a custom officer at zone A, ikeja. i wrote a letter explaining my case and requesting for duty reevaluation of my car. they charged me 2.4m duty and 560k penalty. well, after days and days of negotiation (i made it clear to them that my car was not impounded, rather i reported myself as a law abiding citizen of nigeria), they reduced my duty to 1m and removed the penalty. but i was to bring 200k cash for office boys grin cheesy.

so, a new duty was generated for my car, and i paid 1m at the bank and 200k for boys. the same day, i got my duty papers.

i have travelled twice since then and i have been stopped at shagamu and benin without any issues. they will just ask me to do weekend for boys, normal 1k.

i called the agent that cleared the car and he was giving silly excuses, i just hung up on him and didnt bother calling him ever again.

4 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
biggiyke:

i bought my car, 2012 bmw x3, from cotonou last december. the agent charged me 650k to clear it. in january, i travelled to the east for a burial with my wife and son. i was stopped at benin by customs. they told me that my papers were genuine, but grossly underpaid. it was there that they showed me the actual duty paid was 160k!!! for a 2012 bmw x3!!! me sef i shock o. cos that is way toooooo small.

my saving grace that day was my wife and crying baby. they let me go, after 5k. if i was travelling alone, my car would definitely have been impounded there and then.

when i got back to lagos, i got in touch with a custom officer at zone A, ikeja. i wrote a letter explaining my case and requesting for duty reevaluation of my car. they charged me 2.4m duty and 560k penalty. well, after days and days of negotiation (i made it clear to them that my car was not impounded, rather i reported myself as a law abiding citizen of nigeria), they reduced my duty to 1m and removed the penalty. but i was to bring 200k cash for office boys grin cheesy.

so, a new duty was generated for my car, and i paid 1m at the bank and 200k for boys. the same day, i got my duty papers.

i have travelled twice since then and i have been stopped at shagamu and benin without any issues. they will just ask me to do weekend for boys, normal 1k.

i called the agent that cleared the car and he was giving silly excuses, i just hung up on him and didnt bother calling him ever again.
biggiyke:

Haa,that agent na correct thief and you should've sort a second opinion before payment. Also paying the fine would've been cheaper if you had gone back to a land border, bank charges alone for a 2012 x3 should've been between 1,000,000 - 1,200,000. I don't have a copy of the new tariff at hand but a copy of the old tariff is shown below, 2012 minus four or five years will be 2007/2008,what he should've done was to pay around N1m+..

I guess his fear was borne out of the fear every agent has, if I tell that they will need to pay XYZ amount,won't they give the job to another agent that has charged lower. Many dealers/end users,friends or relatives will cut corners and handover peanuts for the agents to work with and the poor agent with mouths to feed at home will run the papers with what he has been given. Most jobs that I've lost since January have been because of bank charges,you tell customers to pay N450,000 as bank charges and before you know it, another agent has got the job less than what you charge but the gullible importer has forgotten that NCS boys are now on the prowl and are doing what we call "eye service" for PMB and ALLI, they seriously need scape goats..

A client once brought a job and I charged him N1.3m for a 2013 Venza,he went back to anambra to collect the money,came back to tell me that the owner gave him N850,000 and was even saying that if I refused to do the job, that he was ready to fly the venza across the border and give another agent N450,000 to shortpay,making me also believe that it was the owners decision too. His lies were exposed when the venza was later seized by customs and the owner later told us that the idiot collected N1.3m from him, the venza is still with customs till date....

Thank God that you were able to cross the obstacle and God bless you for sharing this story. When next you decide to use your former agent or another, always make sure he is sure of whatever he wants to pay as bank charges...

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2016
saintjoel:

There was something I forgot to add sir, never let them know that it was bought from a Nigerian dealer,since it's a car from Cotonou, alarm bells start ringing in their skulls once you tell that you've bought a car from a dealer that sources his cars from Cotonou. They know there's no way a car will be bought from Cotonou and the dealer will not SHORTPAY to meet his profit margin...
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by saintjoel(m): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2016
richkol:

There was something I forgot to add sir, never let them know that it was bought from a Nigerian dealer,since it's a car from Cotonou, alarm bells start ringing in their skulls once you tell that you've bought a car from a dealer that sources his cars from Cotonou. They know there's no way a car will be bought from Cotonou and the dealer will not SHORTPAY to meet his profit margin...
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2016
i dont know why most of you guys use an agent

these what zimababwean uk resident do when they send a car two zim

if you are loaded you can use an agent to clear it all the way into zimbabwe

but most people do this, the car is sent to zim by ship it takes 2 or 3 weeks and the few days before arrival you follow (fly to zimabwean or nambia ) and you pick up the car in nambia (if you use that route) you clear it yourself at the nambian port then you either drive it through nambia or get transported to zimbabwe

when you get to the zimbabwean border you clear your car paying all the duties etc, that way you save money and no hussle eg being told that your car is stolen import or you paid less duty

even if a customs officer tell me today you paid less duty i will tell him/her to bring a court order since i would have known what i paid and that what duty officer charge me therefore it aint my problem. it becomes there problem to investigate why i paid less and solving the problem shouldnt start from impounding my car but from the duty officer who charged the less duty on my car

i think you guys should start challenging these duty officers to saying there office is the one which should sort out the there mess before impounding your car

and also learn to do it yourself learn the process 90% of zimbabwean to send car to zimbabwe clear the themselves by either him being physically there and clearing or having family or friends doing it on there behalf.

2 Likes

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:45pm On Jun 22, 2016
few weeks ago we had case in zim that involved a car owner and clearing agent, if he had done it himself he wouldnt have been in such mess

this is what happened, the car owner is top management in the customs office, a car was bought on his behalf (used a agent) the was handed the paperwork etc and the paperwork looked in order

then he got involved in accident, the police phoned the CVR (Central Vehicle Registry) just to check the paperwork of the car and the car had been registered as nissan micra when the car is actually a nissan pajero so automatically the car paid less duty and agent pocket some money

if he had done it himself he would have not got into such mess

1 Like

Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by sultaan(m): 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2016
ZIMDRILL:
fews ago we had case in zim that involved a car owner and clearing agent, if he had done it himself he wouldnt have been in such mess

this is what happened, the car owner is top management in the customs office, a car was bought on his behalf (used a agent) the was handed the paperwork etc and the paperwork looked in order

then he got involved in accident, the police phoned the CVR (Central Vehicle Registry) just to check the paperwork of the car and the car had been registered as nissan micra when the car is actually a nissan pajero so automatically the car paid less duty and agent pocket some money

if he had done it himself he would have not got into such mess

Well in Nigeria, there is a format that allows you to clear your goods yourself, but since the custom officers get kickback by acting inept, the agents come in to "help" navigate through the "highly" sophisticated process of clearing a CAR.

It seems the more complicated this process it the more money made on the side.

Remember there is no law that establishes agents, not part of the government, there access to the port should be the same as everyone else, but in Nigeria you have to go through them for anything dealing with the customs.It is a relationship that only benefits both parties.

Any car smuggled to Nigeria has had duty paid in another country because Nigeria is dysfunctional.
Re: Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2016
sultaan:

Well in Nigeria, there is a format that allows you to clear your goods yourself, but since the custom officers get kickback by acting inept, the agents come in to "help" navigate through the "highly" sophisticated process of clearing a CAR.

It seems the more complicated this process it the more money made on the side.

Remember there is no law that establishes agents, not part of the government, there access to the port should be the same as everyone else, but in Nigeria you have to go through them for anything dealing with the customs.It is a relationship that only benefits both parties.

Any car smuggled to Nigeria has had duty paid in another country because Nigeria is dysfunctional.

i get what you are saying but the relationship benefits one side the clearing agent, all you need is patiences clear it yourself it makes your life easier and you save yourself lots of money

clearing agents have sort of gave everyone a picture that its not easy to do it yourself when it is easy, just remember a clearing agent adds his/her fee on put what you pay, so why save yoursel those pennies and also get to know the procedure and every paperwork. An then customs officers on the road wont say sh--it about paying less duty etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying Or Getting ECU (brainbox)? Read This! / When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? / Common Spark Plug Conditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.