Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:22 AM

Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance (37221 Views)

Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) / Protest In Newyork, Washington As Trump Bans Transgender In U.S.Military(Photos) / South Africa Clashes At Anti-foreigner Protest In Pretoria - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by nsiazu: 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
The decision by some alleged witches in the Gushegu District in the Northern Region to demand their right has paid off as they would begin to receive their allowances under the Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty programme (LEAP) by the end of this month. The alleged witches were registered for the LEAP programme two years ago but have not been paid any allowance since.

Protest
A protest march by the 163 to the Gushegu District Assembly last Monday was to demand their share of the LEAP allowance “‘We registered these alleged witches about two years ago but they are yet to receive their allowances and when they came here to demand the payment of their allowances I called Accra and I was told their registration forms are being processed and they would start paying them their allowances by the end of this month (June), the Gushegu District Social Welfare Officer, Mr Tia S. Dokurugu told The Mirror in an interview. The alleged witches, who have been ostracised from their communities, are being camped at the three witches’ camps in the Gushegu districts namely the Leli-tabari, Kpatinga and Nabuli witches camps. Their action at the District Assembly last Monday, earned them their right and those in charge had no alternative than to act to meet their demand. The spokesperson for the women, Alimatu Sadia said life had become difficult for them since they were chased out of their communities based on the accusation of witchcraft and the only way they could get the government to listen to them was to march to the district assembly to demand their share as beneficiaries of the LEAP programme. The action Mr Dokurugu told The Mirror that the action of the 168 alleged witches was necessitated by the payment of allowances to 31 inmates of the Leli-tabari witches camp through the Bidizaa Rural Bank. He said the 31 inmates of the Leli-tabari witches’ camp, were registered in 2009 and they had been receiving their allowances but the 168 persons who marched to the assembly to demand theirs were registered two years ago and their forms were being processed in Accrato enable them to benefit.“They accused me of spending their money but I told them that I have sent their registration forms to Accra for them to be processed and I have been assured by the ministry that by the end of this month they would begin to receive their allowances.Mr Dokurugu said the allowances paid under the LEAP programme varies with the lowest being GH¢67 and the highest GH¢106.

The LEAP programme
The LEAP programme is a social cash transfer programme that provides cash and health insurance to the extremely poor households across the country.The main aim is to alleviate short-term poverty and encourage long-term human capital development. It was launched in 2008 as Ghana’s flagship programme of the National Social Protection Strategy and it is being implemented by the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection.

Abolishing of witches camp
The Ministry of Gender and its partners in 2014 launched a project to abolish witches camps in the Northern Region but two years after the initiation of the project,the ministry has been able to close down only one out of the six witch camps in the Northern Region at Bonyase in the Central Gonja District. Currently, there are five witch camps in the Northern Region with the Gambaga witches camp in the West Mamprusi District being the oldest, which is believed to have been in existence for about a century.

http://www.graphic.com.gh/news/general-news/witches-hold-protest-march-for-leap-allowances.html

5 Shares

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by MoneyGreen(m): 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
Witches!

E no easy oh!

4 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by rummeh: 2:28pm On Jun 19, 2016
Witches even take picture.. I was checking if I would see my ex girlfriend.. Sadly she no dy..

156 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by bolt000(m): 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
rummeh:
Witches even take picture.. I was checking if I would see my ex girlfriend.. Sadly she no dy..
Lmao..

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by nsiazu: 2:32pm On Jun 19, 2016
Lalasticlala, front page pls
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Smellymouth: 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2016
Hahahahah
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by ANIEXTY(m): 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
Waiting for nigerian witches to show

13 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by ErnieSmallzz(f): 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
shocked

17 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by rummeh: 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
Lalasticlala front page abeg
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by RandomVic(m): 2:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
Equal rights for all grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by taiwokyle(m): 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2016
Eyan maami Abeni. You people also deserve life pension

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
Witches camps? Hian!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by wasco24: 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
cool
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by orimsamsam(m): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
Shuuuuu. Omo witches self dey get association. Una no feel fly for night go government house go ask for ur right. By dat time president go triple ur alloweee

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by amiibaby(f): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
Hmmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by bqlekan(m): 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
Toooor.. We are Africans

5 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
Nonsense !!!! Make I go Fire some Tear Gas on :- dis Women !!! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by olarhtunji(m): 6:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
I don't know why they are protesting when they can just call a rich man out insyd a bowl of water and telling him to b giving them money...

6 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by samsam2019: 6:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
And their witchcraft can't even make them money?

5 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Aremu01(m): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
My God!
When the bible clearly said.... Suffer not a witch to live!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by ThePeacemaker(m): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Omg......
Lmao

2 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by igwegeorgiano(m): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
omo see o. any witch or witches wey try dat dat nonsense for naija eehhn na rip for d witch o i swear

2 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Edum13656: 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
rummeh:

u funny die

3 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by johnkay1(m): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by gen2briz(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
Something is seriously happening
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Lucasbalo(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
samsam2019:
And their witchcraft can't even make them money?
Gbam. Their witchcraft doesn't change the fortune of Ghana either.

2 Likes

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Hassanjj(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
Mammmiii. Eleyei. Mofiru yoyint o.
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 19, 2016
Buhari is back in the country o, why has it not appear on front page?
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by merits(m): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
grin

Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by Edum13656: 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
una de here de talk about innocent Ghana witches and wizards not knowing that Oga Bubu don come back
Re: Witches Protest In Ghana Over Leap Allowance by centboy123456(m): 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2016
Na wow did can happen in nigeria only gh god help us

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thousands Flee Syria To Turkey As Idlib Conflict Escalates (Photos) / Abbas Ahmed: Grandson Of Hezbollah Chief Nasrallah Killed In Israeli Airstrike / He Was A Talented Person: Putin mourns former caterer, Prigozhin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.