Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,898 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans (1600 Views)

Lagos Police Armourer Sells Arms To Militants, Attempts Suicide / "On My Way To Surrender My Arms To Okorocha In Owerri" - Man (Photos) / Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by mile12crises: 1:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
Contrary to the reports from many angles that Mandela fought the apartheid government in South Africa with a non-violence approach, findings have shown that the reverse is the case.

Nelson Mandela set up the African National Congress' armed wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation), in 1961 when he lost hope that passive and non-violent resistance to the apartheid government would bear fruit.
It was launched on December 16, the same day as the Afrikaners defeated the Zulus at the Battle of the Blood River 100 years earlier, not long after the massacre in Sharpeville of 69 unarmed protesters by the security police.
With no military training himself, and in hiding from the government, Mr Mandela travelled abroad where he was offered financial and practical help by countries including Ethiopia and Algeria.

Mr Mandela was adamant that MK, as the armed unit was called, would not kill people but its tactics would be aimed at sabotage. In his own words, the aim was to "hit back by all means within our power in defence of our people, our future and our freedom".
On his return to South Africa, Mr Mandela and his colleagues set up regional command units and set about training their army in bomb making and clandestine operations.

MK carried out numerous bombings during the next 20 years and the pledge not to kill became redundant – in the whole campaign, at least 63 people died and 483 people were injured.
It was subsequently classified as a terrorist organisation by the South African government and the United States, and banned.
The armed struggle would also have a very personal consequence for Mr Mandela: he was arrested for sabotage a year after MK's formation, and would spend the next 27 years in prison.

Operations continued in his absence and among MK commanders was Jacob Zuma, now the South African president, but were suspended in August 1990 in preparation for the dismantling of apartheid and the birth of the Rainbow Nation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/8304153/Nelson-Mandelas-Spear-of-the-Nation-the-ANCs-armed-resistance.html

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by mile12crises: 2:07pm On Jun 20, 2016
I created this post for those hypocrites that will quickly hail Nelson Mandela but will not waste time in condemning Nnamdi Kanu.

They accuse Kanu of soliciting for arms to fight the government while exonerating Mandela of any violence agitation in South africa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by allaboutobed(m): 2:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
mile12crises:
I created this post for those hypocrites that will quickly hail Nelson Mandela but will not waste time in condemning Nnamdi Kanu.

They accuse Kanu of soliciting for arms to fight the government while exonerating Mandela of any violence agitation in South africa.
OK. good or bad i still believe in one Nigeria sha. if u people decide to go just go peacefully.......
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by mile12crises: 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
allaboutobed:
OK. good or bad i still believe in one Nigeria sha. if u people decide to go just go peacefully.......

Why then are the authorities detaining an unarmed freedom fighter

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by mile12crises: 2:30pm On Jun 20, 2016
Like Mandela, like Nnamdi Kanu.......

Dont listen to the hypocritical Nigerian press that will call Mandela a hero but turn around to condemn our own Kanu.

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 20, 2016
It seems you're forgetting a vital point .....
Mandela fought to unite his country not divide it, hence the overwhelming support from Nigeria. Maybe we'll hail Kanu when he drops his dream of a divided Nigeria and fight for a better Nigeria fairer federalism

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by pharmagba: 3:15pm On Jun 20, 2016
We know. We also know He got wiser when detained for 27years.
Ask Nnamdi if he is willing to stay 27years?
Please don't answer for him as it is a personal question.

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by crazymommy(f): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2016
mile12crises:

You are comparing jollof and fried rice with garri...Mandela fought for "unity" Kanu is fighting for "Disunity"....take it or leave it...
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by idensko(m): 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
Cyph98:
It seems you're forgetting a vital point .....
Mandela fought to unite his country not divide it, hence the overwhelming support from Nigeria. Maybe we'll hail Kanu when he drops his dream of a divided Nigeria and fight for a better Nigeria fairer federalism

On the contrary

Mandela fought for freedom

KANU is fighting for freedom too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 20, 2016
idensko:

On the contrary

Mandela fought for freedom

KANU is fighting for freedom too
From who if I may ask undecided

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by cokoduck: 6:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
Cyph98:

From who if I may ask undecided
freedom is freedom, slavery and bondage is slavery and bondage, no mater how you want to twist it, from the British and their puppets the Mohammedan emirate of Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
cokoduck:
freedom is freedom, slavery and bondage is slavery and bondage, no mater how you want to twist it, from the British and their puppets the Mohammedan emirate of Nigeria

Chill dude
No point being uncivil; now back to what you're implying, let me make it very clear to you no country in the world would willfully allow a succession at a critical stage of development without putting up a fight. You can do yourself some good by looking at the archives of the American civil war. Besides what's your stance for breaking away;
Underdevelopment? hell no, no part of Nigeria is developed
Under-representation? how does this elitists idea affect the man on the street

I think when you guys get yourself together and present a reasonable course the world might actually take you serious.

For now all I see y'all doing is cheap propaganda which brings us back to 1966

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Victorvexz(m): 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2016
Nonsense post, next time don't even dare to compare The great Mandela and Kanu. Mandela fought for freedom in a United South Africa, while Kanu is thinking of breaking up Nigeria because he think it will be right for the igbos. OP, have ever wondered why the world does not celebrate sessessionist leaders? Tell me which person that breaks up his country that the world celebrate? Why is the world not celebrating the so called South Sudan freedom fighters after breaking up from Sudan? The people the world celebrate are people who fought for freedom in their United country, for example, Mandela, Martin Luther King, Che guavera, etc
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by cokoduck: 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2016
Cyph98:

Chill dude
No point being uncivil; now back to what you're implying, let me make it very clear to you no country in the world would willfully allow a succession at a critical stage of development without putting up a fight. You can do yourself some good by looking at the archives of the American civil war. Besides what's your stance for breaking away;
Underdevelopment? hell no, no part of Nigeria is developed
Under-representation? how does this elitists idea affect the man on the street

I think when you guys get yourself together and present a reasonable course the world might actually take you serious.

For now all I see y'all doing is cheap propaganda which brings us back to 1966
I don't expect you to say to me, "oh yes! You are right, you are right, I mean, do I expect a pig to fly? Those who do not want Biafra to be are the very ones benefitting (or thinks that they are) from Nigeria, Do you know of the Aburi agreement? Was it not you children of the devil that started the war? So who is doing propaganda? or who did propaganda? The British are using you people to pin us down, okay, after the genocide, how many federal things can anybody point to in Biafra? Especially the Igbo speaking side, only military barracks, doesn't that tell you something? Btw, did that son of the devil called Lugard tell my great grand dad that he wanted them to be Nigerians and they agreed? If not for that ID10t, would you and I be arguing back and forth as we are doing now? For your information anybody holding another man down is equally holding down himself, that is exactly why this hell hole called Niggar area remains the laughing butt of the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 21, 2016
cokoduck:
I don't expect you to say to me, "oh yes! You are right, you are right, I mean, do I expect a pig to fly? Those who do not want Biafra to be are the very ones benefitting (or thinks that they are) from Nigeria, Do you know of the Aburi agreement? Was it not you children of the devil that started the war? So who is doing propaganda? or who did propaganda? The British are using you people to pin us down, okay, after the genocide, how many federal things can anybody point to in Biafra? Especially the Igbo speaking side, only military barracks, doesn't that tell you something? Btw, did that son of the devil called Lugard tell my great grand dad that he wanted them to be Nigerians and they agreed? If not for that ID10t, would you and I be arguing back and forth as we are doing now? For your information anybody holding another man down is equally holding down himself, that is exactly why this hell hole called Niggar area remains the laughing butt of the world.

Like I said before, present a reasonable course else you'll keep revolving around 1966.

PS : we'll have a discussion when you choose to stop name calling
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by weyab: 11:14am On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

Like I said before, present a reasonable course else you'll keep revolving around 1966.

i love that part he said anyone holding someone down is also holding himself down. Thats d truth. Believe u me, nigeria can be lik dubai once they allow biafrans go. No need holding success cos u re holding ur own success also. Thanks
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 21, 2016
weyab:
i love that part he said anyone holding someone down is also holding himself down. Thats d truth. Believe u me, nigeria can be lik dubai once they allow biafrans go. No need holding success cos u re holding ur own success also. Thanks

Can you kindly tell me who is holding Togo undecided
Secondly if you dont mind, Is Togo a Dubai ?
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by cokoduck: 11:20am On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

Hahahahhahahafafafafafa, the STFU and quit mixing your sorry self in our affairs, if we break away, will it stop your sorry country from existing? GTFOH mofo
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 21, 2016
cokoduck:
Hahahahhahahafafafafafa, the STFU and quit mixing your sorry self in our affairs, if we break away, will it stop your sorry country from existing? GTFOH mofo
Grow up Man undecided
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by weyab: 11:34am On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

Can you kindly tell me who is holding Togo undecided
Secondly if you dont mind, Is Togo a Dubai ?
for me togo is even more better than nigeria. Dey may not be dubai but dey seems stable nd growing also. Are we suppose to be lik this at this age. Answer me
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 21, 2016
weyab:
for me togo is even more better than nigeria. Dey may not be dubai but dey seems stable nd growing also. Are we suppose to be lik this at this age. Answer me
No , we are under developed and there's no excuse for that, but what I don't seem to get is how splitting up will solve this problem. We speak as if after splitting Biafra will suddenly move out of the Africa.

BTW If you think Togo is better then its high time you started researching other than assimulating every hearsay
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by weyab: 12:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

No , we are under developed and there's no excuse for that, but what I don't seem to get is how splitting up will solve this problem. We speak as if after splitting Biafra will suddenly move out of the Africa.

BTW If you think Togo is better then its high time you started researching other than assimulating every hearsay
not about hear say, i know even much if togo. Development will also be view from statistical angle. Re we suppose to be lik this today n0! Even our 80ths seems to be more better than today. Are we progressing? When many hands are involve in pot soup then the result will be the worst soup ever. We need to split for progress sake. Believe me the kind govt that will work for south will never work for north and conversely. Ss ans se rule independently north rule dependently. South dont need kings nd govt for success especially ss nd se while north can neva do without monarch form of govt. I dont knw where to start to educate some one dat can see. U re not blind bro, u can see , we knw the truth. The only thing holding this fraud called Nigeria is oil. I wish the while oil will jus dry off so north can go in peace. But believe me man cry so his God wil see his tears so once he start fighting , he will fight without looking back.

Best advice we youth can go for now is division not even federalism but total decision.

Imagin Scottish will hold another referendum after 2years of failed one. British holding moving out from EU.

Thats people that can reason. Must we stay together? Even in families we prefare having different house then one family house. Staying together in this country nigeria wen we are not even one is total distraction and bombardment.

I dnt see how you can convince me that one nigeria will ever work. Not on this earth, not when the creation is man made, nor even when the domain of the very existence of nigeria is not defined.

Bro evertin is set for division in this country even the blind can feel it. Even you can see it.
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
weyab:
not about hear say, i know even much if togo. Development will also be view from statistical angle. Re we suppose to be lik this today n0! Even our 80ths seems to be more better than today. Are we progressing? When many hands are involve in pot soup then the result will be the worst soup ever. We need to split for progress sake. Believe me the kind govt that will work for south will never work for north and conversely. Ss ans se rule independently north rule dependently. South dont need kings nd govt for success especially ss nd se while north can neva do without monarch form of govt. I dont knw where to start to educate some one dat can see. U re not blind bro, u can see , we knw the truth. The only thing holding this fraud called Nigeria is oil. I wish the while oil will jus dry off so north can go in peace. But believe me man cry so his God wil see his tears so once he start fighting , he will fight without looking back.

Best advice we youth can go for now is division not even federalism but total decision.

Imagin Scottish will hold another referendum after 2years of failed one. British holding moving out from EU.

Thats people that can reason. Must we stay together? Even in families we prefare having different house then one family house. Staying together in this country nigeria wen we are not even one is total distraction and bombardment.

I dnt see how you can convince me that one nigeria will ever work. Not on this earth, not when the creation is man made, nor even when the domain of the very existence of nigeria is not defined.

Bro evertin is set for division in this country even the blind can feel it. Even you can see it.
I really hope you don't regret your decisions afterards but on a positive note; I pray we'll be able to look back and say "you guys were right" when we eventually split

Trade cautiously tho, we can't split peacefully by planting hate via propaganda wink
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by NgeneUkwuewu: 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

I really hope we don't regret our decisions afterards but on a positive note; I pray we'll be able to look back and say "you guys were right" when we eventually split

Trade cautiously tho, we can't split peacefully by planting hate via propaganda wink

What hate and propaganda are you talking about

Are the Nigerian government not killing and maltreating the Igbos??

How can you beat someone and still order him not to cry undecided
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by weyab: 12:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Cyph98:

I really hope we don't regret our decisions afterards but on a positive note; I pray we'll be able to look back and say "you guys were right" when we eventually split

lol. Welcome bro. Wish everything ends in peace. Divorce never the best approach but of the best for peace sake and safryy6 of life and properties.
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by allaboutobed(m): 10:54pm On Sep 28, 2016
mile12crises:

Why then are the authorities detaining an unarmed freedom fighter
yeahhh. u know one man's freedom fighter is anoda man's terrorist.
Re: Nelson Mandela Actually Took Up Arms To Liberate South Africans by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 29, 2016
It was was an armed struggle against a system they considered unjust. Nnamdi Kanu was campaigning to kill other Nigerians who contributed nothing to his state of madness.
Kanu lost the struggle because it is based on hatred of other tribes.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu, Betrayals, Large-heartedness By Akinola Dhikrullah Debo Oranmiyan Ii / Buhari's Ministers Paschal Dozie, Oyebode, Others Fingered In $13.9b Forex Scam / ONDO Election Result Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.