Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls (37719 Views)

JAMB To Enforce Provision Of O-Level Results Before Admission / Secondary School Girls Twerk Infront Of Teachers And Parents (PICS) / Gang Leader Sleeps With Secondary School Girls To Initiate Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by kayodekb: 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
okuneddie:

continue reading the post bro....u will soon see it and besides that's my state

lol... osogbo's population alone carry almost half of the villages u just mention nah... beside, there is nothing like religion session during the last census or do you go about asking everybody passing along the road their religion(am very sure u are not a mad man)?
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by talljohn: 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
oya gwazie ndi yard unu cheesy smiley
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by sweetjohn(m): 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
In as much as I dnt like the way this governor is bringing religion into schools, the yoruba christains should deal with it. After all, it is a government school, anybody can dress the way s/he want.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by mrteee: 2:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
blackbartee:

and they could have been used as front liners as well

Hahaha. Back to square one. Please refer to my post of 10.20 am.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by mikki123(m): 2:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
[quote author=mrteee post=46779796]

Unfortunately for you, I have little time for obstinate bigots who refuse to be educated.

Ignorance is bliss.
Enjoy your bliss.
Stupid Aregbesola
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by sweetgala(m): 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
Johnnyessence:
Hijab is your right, and the school also has a right on who dey admit or enforce uniforms they want...This is ST. CHARLES...Not St. Secular school or woreva.Who is sponsoring this? Your plans would fail!

St Charles is a government owned school and not a private mission school and therefore is a public secular entity not subject to the peculiar requirements of any certain religious practice where such impedes the right of another or disrupts scholar activities.

It has been concluded by a competent court that the use of hijab by any individual (be they Muslim or otherwise) is a choice that can not be declined by any public school authority and is acceptable as part of public first and second level school uniform.

I knew this story would be adequately modified to suite the gullible individuals on social media. I have read a credible account of the occurrence and it goes as such.

“ A number of representatives of the state chapter of the Muslim society went to a public school “st charles” to protest the insistence of the school authority to deny certain students their civil rights as ensured by Justice Falola that they could use a short hijab as appropriate; the school authority rebuffed their protest as the state government is yet to gazette the new code of dressing to public education institutions which the commissioner of education is expected to do in the coming days.”

The Muslim representatives are obviously not happy with the delay but left satisfied, while it is stupid for the school authority to deny knowledge of the judgement in court, however the lack of a directive from the ministry of education is adequate for now.

I am a very conservative Christian but would not stay idle while illiterate , prejudiced individuals make a mockery of the constitution and civil liberty to justify their islamophobia , this new trend within the ranks of CAN is the consequence of it's infiltration and redirection by radical evangelical/ pentecostal christian members who are hostile to all forms of divergent faiths including the Orthodox christian practice.

The fact remains the constitution of the federal republic of nigeria guarantees the freedom to practice of religious believes where such does not impede the rights of another, if a christian pupil so chooses to wear a head scarf as practised by devout christians or use of a beret such can not be denied, what is imperative now is the state education board and community leadership to constitute a committee to design a code of dressing to cover the appropriate use of hijabs, berets, head gears, scarfs and hats as is required for conformity as part of public school uniform, to address such issues as colour of head wear and such accessories acceptable, dimensions and other such maters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by manie(m): 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
Kassidy90:

I can't remember any school in the US owned by a Muslim or Islamic group but the Muslim students puts on hijab though am against the act of storming the school premises, just as the principal said they should wait till the Ministry of Education give directives then if the school now prevent the students then they can challenge the Principal but u saying they can't use hijab in the school is wrong because the last time I checked its the state govt that are paying the school teachers not CAN or any Christian body..
The solution is to ban the use of uniforms in all schools in Osun state, students can come to school in any clothing they are comfortable in.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Johnnyessence(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2016
cekhoe:
Why am I not surprised?,chaos is what you get when you mix equal dose of sentiment and religion into serious aspects like education and politics.If we were all to exercise our rights fully, we will scramble on each other because where your rights stops is where mine starts.What happened to scarf or short hijabs?,a school should be treated as a school not a mosque or church.if they must wear hijab,then let it be short and not cover their uniform, simple.
i totally disagree with ur reply here ok. osun schools are not religious schools it's a secular schools CAN av went to court to appeal d case. but for now hijab should be resisted in all d government schools.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Dainikel(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2016
What is really happening? The matter is getting out of place

1 Like

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Johnnyessence(m): 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
sweetgala:

ST Charles is a government owned school and not a private mission school and therefore is a public secular entity not subject to the peculiar requirements of a certainreligious enity or another.

It has been ajudged by a competent court that the use of human by any individual be they Muslim or otherwise is a choice that can not be declined by any public school authority and is acceptable as part of public schooling uniform.

I knew this story would be adequately modified to suite the gullible individuals on FB. I have read a credible account of the occurence and it goes as such.

“ A number of representatives of the state chapter of the Muslim society went to a public school “st charles” to protest the insistence of the school authority to deny certain students their civil rights as ensured by Justice Falola that they could use a short hijab as appropriate; the school authority rebuffed their protest as the state government is yet to gazette the new code of dressing to public education institutions which the commissioner of education is expected to do in the coming days.”

The Muslim representatives are obviously not happy with the delay but left satisfied .

I am a very conservative Christian but would not stay idle while illiterate , prejudiced individuals make a mockery of the constitution and civil liberty to justify their islamophobia
good one love ur reply here ooo. keep it up ok. osun school is not a muslim, christian and traditional schools but a secular schools oo.hijab should be resisted oo.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Erukulele(m): 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
what has wearing of hijab to school by muslim girls got to do with the Economy of the state of Osun or the faith of their colleagues that are non muslims, these kids are friends in schools and careless about the religion of one another. Why is CAN taking issues that affect govt school personal as if they are the owner, for God's sake these schools belong to the govt irrespective of the name its been called, if muslim girls wear hijab to avoid opening their hair CAN should encourage christian girls to put on berets to cover their heads also. CAN Osun should not confuse the state education with religion and politics, if they are not satisfy with the court judgement they can appeal.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by todman(m): 3:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
I'm still wondering how Christians are affected by this rule. Does wearing hijab stop the other students from carrying out the other activities. I believe this issue should be between the school authorities and the government. CAN is making a mistake by being involved in this. This goes against one of the things christainity stands for. Tolerating other religions should not be a problem. This just brings about religious conflict for no good reasons. the Christians wearing robes are really funny, is the robe part of our day to day lives? We should just stop deceiving ourselves. Christainity is becoming a title not a way of life if we use little things like this to start religious conflict. CAN should focus on better things than supporting baseless conflicts. ..

My own opinion
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
Eberex:

If you have nothing better to say, shut up!

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by adimsmt: 4:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Johnnyessence:
this is st Charles Christian school not Muslim school, please if d issue has risen to enforcing religion on people it should be checked.the Muslims student should go to their various schools been created by their clerics.let them Carry their hijab to Muslim schools. wearing should be banned in all d government schools cos' osun state schools are secular schools not religious school.

Until Nigerian government find it fit to enact law of separation of church and state this problem will persist .
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by alaskido(m): 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
Aregbesola has shot himself on the foot. Useless governor.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Dakad: 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
murmee:
You probably need to check your dictionary for the meaning of Uniform. As long as there is a uniform for students to wear, there should be no variation.

OK sir, if that will calm your narves. But I maintain my stand that we need to tolorate and respect each other's religion. I have a younger friend who attended a christian private university, she was totally denied of engaging in anything that have to do with her religion. To me that's totally unfair. All we need is peace and unity.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Johnnyessence(m): 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
MKO4ever:

The true followers of Jesus always dress in Hijab
If Jesus christ himself was a woman, he would certainly dress in hijab, because his mother always dresses in Hijab.
Paul said in the book of Corinthian chapter 11 verse 5 that "Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering."

i disagree with ur view here ok.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Johnnyessence(m): 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
Afritop:

I AM A CHRISTIAN AND EVEN A PENTECOSTAL. WHETHER THE SCHOOL IS ST CHARLES OR NOT DOESN'T MATTER IN THIS ISSUE. THE SIGNIFICANT ASPECT IS AS A STUDENT WHAT DO YOU LEARN FROM THAT SCHOOL, WHAT KIND OF KNOWLEDGE WAS TRANSFERRED TO YOU WHEN YOU WERE A STUDENT IN THAT SCHOOL. SADLY RELIGION HAS BLINDED US AND THE INSTITUTION IN PARTICULAR ARE NOT DOING WELL. IF PARENTS AND GUARDIANS CAN ADDRESS THAT KIND OF QUESTION TO THEMSELVES AND RELATE THE PRESENT SITUATION TO THE TIME WHEN THEY WERE PUPILS IN THEIR DAYS THEY WILL KNOW BETTER.
DENYING PEOPLE EDUCATION BECAUSE OF RELIGIOUS BELIEFS IS NOT SEEN AS BEING ZEALOUS. Understanding religious beliefs other than one’s own is a key element of tolerance, since faith traditions often define a significant part of a person’s identity.
hmm all is well ooo.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by masqot(m): 4:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
I hate it when minors (children) are played like pawns to achieve selfish ends. Who designed those banners for those children? Who's indoctrinating them along religious bigotry? Those young boys and girls should be encouraged to face the most important phase of their lives – education.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by sweetgala(m): 4:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
Johnnyessence:
good one love ur reply here ooo. keep it up ok. osun school is not a muslim, christian and traditional schools but a secular schools oo.hijab should be resisted oo.

note I had some typos in my comment maybe that is why you mis-understood my post, because I am in support of the right to wear a government characterised type of hijab, i.e a short hijab as part of school uniform not just in osun state but any other state in Nigeria give such a school is under state control as a public school. This also applies to christian students in any state in Nigeria who may choose in the future to wear a beret or head-scarf due to religious beliefs.

Male students of jewish/muslim extraction may also wear a scalp-cap if they so choose. The limitation of the rights of any Nigerian is injustice to the nation.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by MKO4ever(m): 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
Johnnyessence:
i disagree with ur view here ok.
Just like that? bros you can disagree with anything oo, including your own bible

1 Like

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by MamaletASO: 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
The act of the muslim cleric are Barbaric and irresponsible and uncalled for. Aregbesola Ogbeni should call his agents to order before is too late. B*llshit!
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Kestolovee95(f): 5:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
warrah:
There is something that amuses me about this hijab issue. I ve been seeing pictures of prominent Muslim women in Nigeria like Buhari's daughter, I have never sighted one wearing a hijab, does it mean that this hijab is for selected Muslim women.

hijab is only for the talakawas, the commoners in Islam. The feudal lords and ruling class do not wear them. I know a former governor of a northern state that introduced sharia but still drinks beer and dry gin. Muslims are funny clowns! grin

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by stplusone(m): 7:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
Hijab wearing is Muslims right no doubt about that, but hijab should be wore in Muslims school not in St Charles Christians school, let them go to Ansarudeen or Muslims Grammar schools to wear hijab. Very soon the Muslims we start enforcing their rights of assembly and rights of freedom of movement in oder start wearing hijab in churches Muslims are known world wide to be fomenting troubles, that is why the yorubas refers to them as imole, a Muslims friend of my once told me ah you are not suppose to be a christian, so what suggested to him that I am suppose to be a Muslim I stopped our relationship immediately, why trying converting xtian by force.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by okuneddie(m): 7:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
kayodekb:

lol... osogbo's population alone carry almost half of the villages u just mention nah... beside, there is nothing like religion session during the last census or do you go about asking everybody passing along the road their religion(am very sure u are not a mad man)?

bros the ratio of Muslims to Christian in Osogbo is 55:45.....I know all this areas and they are not villages but towns....if u know ur Geography well then u will know they aren't villages sir.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by bashsani(m): 7:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
cekhoe:
Why am I not surprised?,chaos is what you get when you mix equal dose of sentiment and religion into serious aspects like education and politics.If we were all to exercise our rights fully, we will scramble on each other because where your rights stops is where mine starts.What happened to scarf or short hijabs?,a school should be treated as a school not a mosque or church.if they must wear hijab,then let it be short and not cover their uniform, simple.
it's a short hijab
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Diademk07: 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
babz11:
I.guess this school are operated by goverment, so whats d religion issue, when wil Nigeria stop all this.religion racism and segregation, this a school in u.s.a they dnt care about ur dressinng check below
The school in question made provision for Muslim student's uniform.
This is quite different from what we have here. The school here already has a uniform that depict it as a catholic school. That's no gonna change!
I can't imagine Saint Louis secondary school taking that rubbish in the first place. The said person would be withdrawn as soon as possible.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Coolgent(m): 8:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
Sai Hijab!
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Ekaka1(m): 8:57pm On Jun 21, 2016
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by maasoap(m): 9:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
I don't understand our Christian brothers and sisters at all. You said Muslim ladies shouldn't wear hijab despite the fact that it is their constitutional rights. Now, court of law has ruled in their favour, you still won't abide by it, why? How has Muslim girls wearing hijabs affect you, your academic, your life and your religion?
Assuming the court ruled against the use of hijab and muslims decided to wear it, all of you, the hypocrites would have been calling muslims different bad names that they don't respect court judgement.
Government schools are government schools irrespective of the whatever names they are been called.
Let's do away with hatred, let's do away with intolerance. Allow Muslim girls to cover their heads and attend government owned schools.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by maasoap(m): 9:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
MamaletASO:
The act of the muslim cleric are Barbaric and irresponsible and uncalled for. Aregbesola Ogbeni should call his agents to order before is too late. B*llshit!
Barbaric and irresponsible just because they visited the school to make enquiry as to why the principal is refusing the students to wear hijab even after the court judgement? You are a moorron.
Re: Muslim Clerics At Osun School To Enforce Hijab On School Girls by Ladanboso: 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Have you signed up for campus market? We're up and running!!! Visit www.campusmarket.ng Register to buy and sell your goods and service at various tertiary institutions nationwide. Like and follow us via www.facebook.com/campusmarketngr www.twitter.com/campusmarketngr www.instagram.com/campusmarketngr

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abdulkadir Islamiyat Oluwatoyin Passes Nigerian Licensing Exam With Distinction / University Status: Alvan Ikoku "University" Of Education Is Boiling (photo) / 188 Students Bag First Class Honours At Covenant University's 12th Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.