Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,833 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? (18664 Views)

Commercial Driver Suffers Epilepsy On Wheel, Kills Pedestrian In Kaduna / Top 10 Most Contagious Illness. / Is There A Cure For Seizure/epilepsy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by desertboom(m): 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2006
Hi Nairaland users,

I really wish to know if epilepsy is a contagious disease or not, because alot of people are with different opinions, some said the saliva could be very dangerous and contagious while some disagree totally.

However, i wish my fellow nairaland users have also witness an epileptic occur, i mean the way they shake and how saliva float from their mouth, nobody need to tell u it's dangerious and contagious. Please Nairaland users enlighten me, i'm very eager to know if it's contagious.

Thanks.
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by lauryn(f): 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2006
Epilepsy is a chronic disorder of the brain that causes a tendency to have recurrent seizures. If you have a family history of the disease, you may be at increased risk.

So answer to your question, NO, it's not contagious!
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by sammyjl(f): 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2007
lauryn:

Epilepsy is a chronic disorder of the brain that causes a tendency to have recurrent seizures. If you have a family history of the disease, you may be at increased risk.

So answer to your question, NO, it's not contagious!

I totally agree. wink
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by batolam: 8:10pm On Jan 17, 2007
Epilepsy is not contagious. Check out the following site. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/About-Epilepsy.cfm
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by Free(f): 4:45pm On Jan 18, 2007
It's not contagious at all.
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by English1(f): 11:22am On Jan 22, 2007
People think it's contagious? shocked

No it isn't.
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by cyberangel(m): 2:28am On Jan 29, 2007
contagious definitely not

hereditary maybe (risk factor)
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by Ndipe(m): 3:28am On Jan 29, 2007
Not contagious, though, some people back home erroneously think it is contagious.
Re: Is Epilepsy A Contagious Disease? by HISTY(m): 1:09pm On Jan 29, 2007
epilepsy is not contagious. it is due to abnormal electrical discharge in the brain and are of different types.

it could though lead to discriminatory attitude among the populace.

RESEARCHES have shown it however to be hereditary.

the good news however is that it can be properly controlled with individuals living well with them.
with proper support and medicare, some individuals have been cured without having such episodes again in their lifetime

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Soft Drinks Kill 184,000 Adults Every Year - Study / Scientists Say They Can Cut HIV Out Of Cells Using Crispr Gene-editing Technolog / FG Donates Made-in-nigeria Drugs To Cameroon's Train Accident Victims (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.