Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? (11234 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 80% (90 votes)
No: 19% (22 votes)
This poll has ended

Disclose Your ATM Password To Your Family. / Can You Disclose Your Exact Monthly Income To Your Partner / Would You Disclose Your Income To Ur Parents/inlaws? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by biggaboy: 1:50pm On Sep 02, 2009
Consider family setting , is it ideal to disclose the actual salary you earning to your spouse?
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by MyPeace(f): 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2009
my hubby knows exactly how much l earn.  He even knows my ATM pin and l know his.  We operate joint and separate accounts.   He is into private business, l might not know exactly how much he makes a month but l have idea, as long as he contributes his quota to the joint account and fulfills his obligations at home, no qualms.   

Theres no need to hide your earnings.   People hide when they feel their spouse will take advantage of it.   l think if u have a financial plan for your home, there wont be need for 'financial hide and seek game'
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by r231(m): 2:21pm On Sep 02, 2009
MyPeace:

my hubby knows exactly how much l earn. He even knows my ATM pin and l know his. We operate joint and separate accounts. He is into private business, l might not know exactly how much he makes a month but l have idea, as long as he contributes his quota to the joint account and fulfills his obligations at home, no qualms.

Theres no need to hide your earnings. People hide when they feel their spouse will take advantage of it. l think if u have a financial plan for your home, there will be need for 'financial hide and seek game'

You are right

@ poster

YES, it makes life easier
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Fhemmmy: 3:10pm On Sep 02, 2009
Yes, it is ideal.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by biggaboy: 3:35pm On Sep 02, 2009
thanks for the candid answer,
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by posakosa(m): 4:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
@ OP of course,

Having a joint account ? Hell naah!
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Fhemmmy: 6:37pm On Sep 02, 2009
posakosa:

@ OP of course,

Having a joint account ? Hell naah!
lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by posakosa(m): 6:41pm On Sep 02, 2009
Femi, werrin happen na ?
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Fhemmmy: 6:54pm On Sep 02, 2009
posakosa:

Femi, werrin happen na ?

Just that the joint account things is a different ball game that when i see, i get goose bumps
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by MrCrackles(m): 6:56pm On Sep 02, 2009
Yes kini big deal. . . cool
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Sep 02, 2009
MrCrackles:

Yes kini big deal. . . cool

Dont mind them jare
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by mohawkchic(f): 7:17pm On Sep 02, 2009
~I cannot begin to comprehend why people are still asking this question in this day & age of our Lord!!

~Another reasons why couples are working against each other instead of working together!
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by No2Atheism(m): 7:18pm On Sep 02, 2009
@topic

why not if not
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by chiogo(f): 4:01am On Sep 03, 2009
Of course, he should know and vice-versa.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by MrCrackles(m): 4:05am On Sep 03, 2009
chiogo:

Of course, he should know and vice-versa.
Hummm. . .That easy Chiogo shocked wink
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by chiogo(f): 4:17am On Sep 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

Hummm. . .That easy Chiogo shocked wink
I'm talking husband here not boyfriend. of course, he should know.
No joint accounts though. lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by NainaS(f): 11:26pm On Sep 03, 2009
Yes, both my partner and I are aware of exactly how much the other earns.

I plan to model my marriage finances the same way my parents did i.e. 75% of each of their salaries went into the marriage/joint account. Everything from buying a car, paying school fees, paying for the help etc all came from that account. The remaining 25% of their salaries went into their own personal accounts for them to do with as they pleased.

I think it would be somewhat unhealthy to not disclose this information in a marriage. How can you then plan, budget, invest accordingly if you don't know how much each person is bringing to the table?!?

1 Like

Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Fiona0007: 11:31pm On Sep 03, 2009
@post
Is it a question?
I thought it is a normality that both partners know how much they earn each month ( doesn't matter who works and who stays home) and work out together for the budget. Are you suggesting leaving your spouse in the dark? Does trust has a place in the marriage?
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by jamace(m): 7:05pm On Sep 05, 2009
Civilisation has spoilt the marriage institution to a greater extent, that is why the spate of divorce is very high. Too much independence of each other makes a marriage look more of boyfriend/girlfriend affair. Spouses no longer have full trust on one another because the marriage has no solid bond. That is why we have more of official houses than family homes these days.

I have seen men who feel happier when on posting away from their wife and family. I have also seen women who prefer that their working husbands stay far from home. Too bad. As far as I am concern, these are no marriages but co-habitation. That is why divorce is easy because both have no bond of love between them.

At the rate the marriage institution is going, in the nearest future there will be nothing like marriage again, but contract.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by xstdreason(f): 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
D biggest mistake i eva made in my life is to let my spouse knw hw much i earn,
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by biggaboy: 8:27am On Sep 08, 2009
xstdreason:

D biggest mistake i eva made in my life is to let my spouse knw hw much i earn,

Can you pls shed more light?
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Rogo: 8:47am On Sep 08, 2009
yes period or which family you talking about, disclose and have your happy home.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Greycells(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2009
Sure! Total disclosure in cases where the couple engage in financial planning, nothing short of it.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by diehard1: 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2009
yes oh! she even knows when i have salary increase. wetin i wan hide? if she wan make we finish de salary in one day and drink water for the remaining days of the month, na her hand e dee. i even wan make am joint account with me being the only contributor but both of us can withdraw. If i come kaput one day na other people go chop de money we i don work 4. my salary big well well oh and i wan my family to enjoy am
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by jodeci(m): 12:10pm On Sep 08, 2009
I disclose every dime i earn to my wife even when the salary is raised.It makes life a lot easier for me and helps me in planning.It also reassures her that God is answering her prayers each time my salary is raised.

1 Like

Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Donvilo(m): 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2009
Yep, sure! smiley
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by pek(m): 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2009
that is the most ideal and logical thing to do.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by ayomidej(f): 12:32pm On Sep 08, 2009
Yes of course, if you want peace and love in the house. grin
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by floriana(m): 12:33pm On Sep 08, 2009
This is like asking if I will make love to my wife during honey-moon. Of course i damn will!!!  grin
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by Oluschenco(m): 12:35pm On Sep 08, 2009
Not when my salary is increased, she will know the former one.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by utotomixxx(m): 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
It depends. You can never trust a lady when it comes to money.
Re: Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? by sandee575(f): 12:43pm On Sep 08, 2009
She should know otherwise you dont trust your wife.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? / Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? / If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.