Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP (3290 Views)

[Tutorial Post] How To Integrate Paystack Payment System With PHP / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP / Cost Of Building An App With More Features Than Uber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:40am On Jun 23, 2016
Good morning ProgramLanders.
I would like to know if its possible to develop simple android apps with PHP as backend, HTML and CSS, JAVASCRIPT as front end?.
It will be a non-server side app but the app will make use of XAMPP in the local host just like PC to interact with PHP.
I want to develop the app for my Computer Science department in school and i dont code in Java or C++ yet
cc: dhtml18 fulaman198 sonofLucifer javanian guru01 nmeri17
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 23, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:
I would like to know if its possible to develop simple android apps with PHP as backend, HTML and CSS, JAVASCRIPT as front end?.
It will be a non-server side app but the app will make use of XAMPP in the local host just like PC.
I want to develop the app for my Computer Science department in school and i dont code in Java or C++ yet
cc: dhtml8 fulaman98 sonofLucifer javanian guru02
Not dived fully into mobile app development yet, but I think cordova/ionic can be used to create apps with web technologies.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:46am On Jun 23, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Not dived fully into mobile app development yet, but I think cordova/ionic can be used to create apps with web technologies.
if so can you enlighten me?
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by tosinhtml: 10:06am On Jun 23, 2016
No, you can't develop it with PHP, since you already know HTML and Javascript, Just use Ionic

Learn Ionic here
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ionic/

https://thinkster.io/ionic-framework-tutorial

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by guru01(m): 3:23pm On Jun 23, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:
It will be a non-server side app but the app will make use of XAMPP in the local host just like PC to interact with PHP.
You can build you android am with java which is the official way.
Or use Javascript with other frameworks such as ionic, cordova, telerek, intelxdk, Mosync, AppGyver, jqmobile .....

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 23, 2016
android studio with xml or qt with qml designer . Android studio is the official android IDE . Actually qt is for expert programmer.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:24pm On Jun 23, 2016
guru01:

Or use Javascript with other frameworks such as ionic, cordova, telerek, intelxdk, Mosync, AppGyver, jqmobile .....
okay thank you
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nmeri17: 8:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
guru01:

In addition to these, you might wanno look into NativeScript too smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 23, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:
Yes it is possible. But in reality, I work with android xml/java as my frontend and php as my backend.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by francollimasso: 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2016
Sorry for derailing d thread, went for a software developer interview, all the question asked
was on python and js. but am into c#(.net developer). pls advice
me, should I dive into python? professional advice
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2016
dhtml18:

Yes it is possible. But in reality, I work with android xml/java as my frontend and php as my backend.
hmmm...i dont code in xml at least not yet.
how do u use php as backend in android development like xampp in d localhost not server?
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Fulaman198(m): 4:41am On Jun 24, 2016
I advise having a strong foundation in Java to do Android development. Knowing some XML as well to create objects in your code when calling them with the R class. But overall, know Java
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 4:58am On Jun 24, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:

hmmm...i dont code in xml at least not yet.
how do u use php as backend in android development like xampp in d localhost not server?
To create a JSON API, or a websocket client if i am building a chat. Note i prefer to use NODE.JS for this, but if it is PHP that is available, i use it as well.

see some of my related threads:
https://www.nairaland.com/3142123/how-build-one-on-one-chat-im
https://www.nairaland.com/3136801/chat-engine-html-android-client
https://www.nairaland.com/3136801/chat-engine-html-android-client
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by hexy40: 8:03am On Jun 24, 2016
dhtml18:

there is no escaping java shocked
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 24, 2016
hexy40:
how? Php can only be used on server. What if the app doesn't connect to an online server?
I was simply answering a question. If your app does not need to connect to a server, then you dont need PHP at all.

But if you build an app like a chat messenger, facebook app, gmail app, nairaland app ---- it must connect to a server, and such an app will require an API to connect to - which can be in any language at all whether PHP, C++, JSP, NODE.JS etc
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by hexy40: 8:15am On Jun 24, 2016
dhtml18:

I was simply answering a question. If your app does not need to connect to a server, then you dont need PHP at all.

But if you build an app like a chat messenger, facebook app, gmail app, nairaland app ---- it must connect to a server, and such an app will require an API to connect to - which can be in any language at all whether PHP, C++, JSP, NODE.JS etc
thanks
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:37am On Jun 24, 2016
dhtml18:

thanks
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 8:48am On Jun 24, 2016
But you should keep in mind that android apps can have an embedded database - sqlite right inside the application that does not need an external server.
So, if you build an app like a notepad, jotter, event calendar marker, address book etc you can store the data locally into your app using sqlite.
But most real-life app normally have a local database as well, that is why applications like whatsapp can show you past chats even when you are offline. The information is read from a local database most of the time.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:54am On Jun 24, 2016
dhtml18:
But you should keep in mind that android apps can have an embedded database - sqlite right inside the application that does not need an external server.
So, if you build an app like a notepad, jotter, event calendar marker, address book etc you can store the data locally into your app using sqlite.
But most real-life app normally have a local database as well, that is why applications like whatsapp can show you past chats even when you are offline. The information is read from a local database most of the time.
yeah, thank you
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Raypawer(m): 9:10am On Jun 24, 2016
bro better go learn c#, java or golang as you will be able to develop native android with any of them, deliver youself from the shakel of php, this and many more will happen in the future if you still dwell only on php.

ClintonNzedimma:
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 24, 2016
Raypawer:
bro better go learn c#, java or golang as you will be able to develop native android with any of them, deliver youself from the shakel of php, this and many more will happen in the future if you still dwell only on php.

Exactly, there are so many things out there. I wonder why you guys stick only with PHP.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by greatgbolla(m): 11:21am On Jun 24, 2016
Since you know javascript and html, phonegap is your solution
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 24, 2016
greatgbolla:
Since you know javascript and html, phonegap is your solution
That can work, with PHP being used as the backend like i stated earlier.
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:20pm On Jun 24, 2016
Raypawer:

yeah i will, just dat php is d most powerful programming language i know.... will learn c++ and java soon

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2016
I will rather you learn JAVA or C# than C++ (preferably JAVA/Android).
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by FincoApps(m): 7:24am On Jun 25, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:

Yes you definitely can. You can build nice Android apps with HTML5, CSS and Javascript... then use a wrapper like Cordova. That's what I do
You might face performance issues at first, but trust me you'll get better as you move on...

Here are some good apps that were designed this way:

Access bank App
Diamond bank App
GT Bank app (I have used only the BlackBerry10 version and it is indeed an HTML5 app not sure of the Android own)
BlackBerry10 Browser
BlackBerry10 brick breaker game (This one is particularly amazing)

You can contact me for further help using NL PM. I won't bill you unless you want me o design something for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 25, 2016
^^^Keep up the good work bro, mister OP you have better follow this advice. Trollin' into JAVA is not exactly easy at all.
Even with my vast experience in programming, it still took me over a year (almost 2 years) to really master android programming with JAVA.
Maybe I am getting old sha, or my brain is dull. . . . . .
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by FincoApps(m): 7:51am On Jun 25, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^Keep up the good work bro, mister OP you have better follow this advice. Trollin' into JAVA is not exactly easy at all.
Even with my vast experience in programming, it still took me over a year (almost 2 years) to really master android programming with JAVA.
Maybe I am getting old sha, or my brain is dull. . . . . .

LOL thanks DHTML. It took me more than that to master BlackBerry Java too o. I guess that's the reason I find it hard to let go cry lol.

Although OP I forgot to mention you should consider learning some Java because HTML5 might have some limitations. For example,

1. You want to create a fairly graphics intensive app and you want low end devices to run it with little or no issues
2. You need to use Libraries like OpenCV, Tesseract etc
3. You need your app to run in background

You can actually do some of them with HTML5 but native development would be better
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by aiyzikilomz: 9:34am On Jun 25, 2016
Clinton contact me now urgently 08160357570 therez a job for u been trying to call u buy cant get to u... soon as u gt call me
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:34am On Jun 25, 2016
aiyzikilomz:
Clinton contact me now urgently 08160357570 therez a job for u been trying to call u buy cant get to u... soon as u gt call me
call me on 08093801333
Re: Is It Possible To Devlop An Android App With PHP by Kyymz: 12:46pm On Sep 28, 2018
You can build Android app with CSS HTML JavaScript php for back end I ave some app contact me @09036199523 to guide u

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Programmers(coderz) The Smartest Type Of People On The Planet? / PHP Editor: also supports other languages / Please, I Need Sharepoint Vendors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.