Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission (3406 Views)

Cheap Gsm Or Landline Package For Companies And Their Staff / Nepa/phcn Website / NEPA/PHCN: Cheap and unreliable vs. Expensive and reliable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by babagana(m): 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2009
For most jobs in Nigeria people get paid at the end of the month their salary in full irrespective of the input they make during the course of providing the service they applied to render. One thing that strikes is how poorly these services are rendered. people hardly care if it is rendered to the best and or in the good faith. Reason? they get paid anyway,  So i wonder what if they receive their pay based on commission. For instance NEPA. If the staff know that their salary is dependant on how many units of electricity they sell or provide will they still be this non-chalant as to whether there is light or not? Take for instance each NEPA district office has to sell a certain number of units to be able to break even, pay salaries and declare profits, will they care less if this is achieved? I am sure they will fight to get light from the distirbution plants tooth and nail in order to give us light whether vandalisation or not, old installations or not, gas available or not, rainy season or not! Should this be applicable to all other aspects of service oriented government and non government sectors Nigeria will change. By the way this is different from privatization.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by Dungren(m): 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2009
The PHCN staff cannot give what is not available. Mind you, we have 3 seperate sections of PHCN - Generation, Transmittion & Distribution. The Distribution Staff I believe you are referring to can only distribute the amount of energy they get from Transmittion.

I know a bit of how the Distribution section operates and believe me, they don't mind giving you 100% of energy availalabe to them just to make enough money. (whether for the company or to embezzle). Every District is being given a monthly target to meet.

So paying the staff on commission would not solve the problem at hand.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by babagana(m): 12:02pm On Sep 03, 2009
Ok. you have a point here but when NEPA takes light most times just becos it is raining or when its about to, does not indicate to me they genuinely want to provide this light or need the money. once they have enough to embezzle they create and depict a worse scenario so more will come through our suffering.

Again, note very well that most times our bills do not reflect our proper consumption because they give you a bill whether you have light or not anyway. So believe me they have enough to embezzle by virtue of our misery. I syill think they should be paid on commission basis.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by Nezan(m): 3:17pm On Sep 03, 2009
Dont we all depend on generators?
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by kayalcomp: 3:42pm On Sep 03, 2009
The problem of PHCN can be solve thus:

1. Let them identify all the things causing power outages
2. Look for solutions to each ofl these problems
3. The solutions should be made practical not on paper (theory)
4. And the leaders there (power sectors) should be tactful about the money meant to improve power generation.
5. Let them get well qualified staff who can handle the jobs well or give good training to their staffs
6. We can even borrow ideas from country like Ghana on how they make success in their power generation
system.

Sincerely, it is possible to be without power outage throughout Nigeria. If all our leaders in power sectors are serious about it.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by ikhideman(m): 5:17pm On Sep 03, 2009
As regards the PHCN situation, I believe one of the first steps is Privatisation which will lead to improvement in PHCN infrastructure all round the country & in the long run stable power supply.

With privatisation, we don't have to rely on only PHCN to provide electricity, because it would give room for other electricity companies to compete among themselves in providing the best service to Nigerians

Its is my opinion that when we get the NEPA (abi na PHCN) problem solved - Generation, transmission & Distribution, we would have had solutions to more than 60% of the Nigerian problem. Think about it - electricity affects virtually everything thing we do as well as every sector.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by chidyke77(m): 7:43pm On Sep 03, 2009
D problem of power in Nigeria is corruption frm d head and nt ordinary staff of PHCN. u ar nw talking abt paying them on commission bt u didnt mention d same for ASUU,POLICE,DOCTORS and co. U shuld first of all talk abt increasing their salaries inorder to decrease d intention of fraud among d innocent ones. Am nt a staff of PHCN bt truth most b spoken irrespective of whom it concern.
We knw dat billions of naira is been budgeted every year for power bt those in power at Abuja wl always share it among themselves couple wt d one d generate by themselves(PHCN)
I rather heap d blame on FG dan ordinary low salary earner of PHCN dat cn hardly feeds his family. Monkey dey chop baboon dey wok.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 9:41pm On Sep 03, 2009
if they work based on commission then be ready to see more illegal disconnections
in the near future! grin
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by otokx(m): 3:56am On Sep 04, 2009
This suggestion is coming from an uninformed person. Those NEPA chaps are really trying; you just cannot give what you do not have.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by justfash50: 4:55am On Sep 04, 2009
As regards the PHCN situation, I believe one of the first steps is Privatisation which will lead to improvement in PHCN infrastructure all round the country & in the long run stable power supply.

With privatisation, we don't have to rely on only PHCN to provide electricity, because it would give room for other electricity companies to compete among themselves in providing the best service to Nigerians

Its is my opinion that when we get the NEPA (abi na PHCN) problem solved - Generation, transmission & Distribution, we would have had solutions to more than 60% of the Nigerian problem. Think about it - electricity affects virtually everything thing we do as well as every sector.
QUOTE Ikhideman

To me Privatization is not the solution to most of our problem, take for instance NEPA/PHCN, This Corporation is of National security and any sensible country would not like to place it in the hands of mere private hands who might become cabals as we have seen in those other sectors i.e Telecommunication.

For commision to be paid to Staffs of PHCN, Well to me this should apply to Marketing staffs alone, this is when we start having alternative source of energy being used i.e solar energy, but for the core staffs i dont think this is justifiable as in its what u have u will give.

Finally, i still place blame on the National Assembly for not taking their duties seriously, really they should be the ones on Commission based on the performance especially when allocation is given to a particular sector, they should make sure its fully implemented and not squandered as it has been the order of the day.

Corruption is the bases of all these our problems.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by captured(f): 7:27am On Sep 04, 2009
Ol boy, u dey mean gan. Those in places like akute might as well forget getting paid. the area is 100% no gen equals no light
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by okokoinfo: 11:53am On Sep 04, 2009
Thank you for this
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by babagana(m): 1:45pm On Sep 04, 2009
otokx

This suggestion is coming from an uninformed person. Those NEPA chaps are really trying; you just cannot give what you do not have.

Ok my friend, lets say I am an uninformed person like you said and that you cannot give what you do not have, I will like to ask one question, to remain in business do you not go out to look for what you do not have so that you may get paid in return? It is amazing how people believe that NEPA has nothing to give us yet some places have more or less constant light or better provision of electricity.

''Commission'' removes the issue of reaping where you do not sow. Electricity will be generated and efficiently distributed if they only earn from what they provide. Government offices and Residences that do not pay their bill will not have power while the rest of us that pay will be serviced. we all know Government is the highest debtor to NEPA. We all know if they pay NEPA will be better off and can function better. Meanwhile those of us owing 5K monthly get cut off while 10m monthly enjoys light, what sort of efficiency do you espect here?

I agree corruption is the bane of Nigerias survival and NEPA is no exception but prepaid meters and commission payments will ensure efficiency. Most countries around the world go on pay as you go, Nigeria can work towards this too,
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by ayobase(m): 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2009
@babagana

Try to achieve a comprehensive research
about an organisation before u crucify!

This is one of our problems here!

@dungren

thank u man.

I bet some nairalander that babbles
cant even stand the rate at which NEPA/PHCN
works averyday.

U wanna try it?
call 08069589131 for hooking up.

Just a week contract,
and u will never curse/abuse
NEPA, NEVER again!

#Nairalanders!
U better start praying for a better government!

Nigeria IS Blessed!
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2009
never expect power at all pls light your candle! grin
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by babagana(m): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
ayobase

@babagana

Try to achieve a comprehensive research
about an organisation before u crucify!

NOTE HERE MAN!!! NO ONE IS CRUCIFYING BUT SUGGESTING, YOU ARE GETTING IT ALL WRONG.

This is one of our problems here!

I bet some nairalander that babbles [ SHOCKING!! U MUST BE HARSH I AM HERE FOR FUN, NOT CONFRONTATION]
cant even stand the rate at which NEPA/PHCN
works averyday.

U wanna try it?
call 08069589131 for hooking up. [ NO TIME FOR ARROGANCE-WILL NOT HOOK UP- SORRY]

Just a week contract,
and u will never curse/abuse
NEPA, NEVER again!

JUST MIND RUBBING THOUGHTS NOTHING ELSE, TAKE IT EASY, MORE SO LEARN TO BE POLITE. YOU WILL HEAR NO MORE FROM ME IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW ALL ITS OK, ONCE IN WHILE WE COME ACCROSS PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN LIFE. CIAO.
Is it not ironic that
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 6:49pm On Sep 04, 2009
forget the crap my friend. nepa/phcn is an embodiment of corruption.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by sley4life(m): 9:02pm On Sep 04, 2009
Lets 4get abt PHCN. It was formerly NEPA and they privatized some part and named it PHCN. Even now its worse. All parts of the country are not enjoying power including abuja. All we have to do is call expatriate to handle the issue of power. Lets pump in N20billion into power. It must be supervised. Call the japanese or the G8 country to help us in having stable power supply. We can generate power through lots of means either solar, wind farm, hep, nuclear etc. But its because some corrupt officials up there have stake in the importation of generating set so their business wont crumble thats one of the reason govt cant give us stable power and also to boost the consumption of petroleum.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 3:54pm On Sep 05, 2009
many citizens are finding alternatives to nepa/phcn now. and they're
not turning to diesel or petrol generators either!
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by odek001(m): 4:39pm On Sep 05, 2009
both the officers and the members are mad, crazy, collecting money for nothing.
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 6:35pm On Sep 05, 2009
no light now for three weeks here
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by thithi(f): 8:04pm On Sep 05, 2009
that is not fair for the NEPA boys at all.
There is no map to help them move from one location to the next.
The traffic on the road is unimaginable, hence you want them pain on commission? wont work.
The electricity aint there, so how can they give it?
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 12:06pm On Sep 06, 2009
so, so excuses! abi you be nepa man? grin
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by Oluti(m): 1:21am On Sep 07, 2009
Personally, I think the solution to PHCN a.k.a almighty NEPA is not privatization as someone rightly pointed out. The solution is to decentralize the organization. Generating electricity for the country is too big for NEPA and the federal government to handle. Ghana which we all use as reference point generates a little over 2000 megawatts of electricity which the whole country cannot even exhaust. If each state is allowed to generate their electricity, I think this problem would be solved. Any state that cannot afford to go it alone can connect to PHCN. The hype about the 6000 megawatts of electricity by December will amount to nothing at the end of the day when and if it is achieved. Bola Tinubu with all his shortcomings (who doesn’t have his own) came up with a workable solution but because of politics the effort was frustrated. Heard from the grapevine that after Obasanjo gave Tinubu the go ahead to commence business with Eron, Bode George rushed to baba and prostrated that baba should rescind his decision because if Bola succeed in the project, PDP should kiss Lagos goodbye. Baba said, “ah I never looked at it like that o. No problem, I’ll tell the bugger to connect whatever is generated to the national grid. This will frustrate whatever success that would be achieved by his independence power project.” The rest as they say is history
Re: NEPA/PHCN Should Pay Their Staff On Commission by GeorgeD1(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2009
it's the same problem plaguing the country, my friend. others generate for
a few priviledged ones to use. go to abuja. where does that 24hrs light
come from? yet even the states that generate the power don't get to use
it. same thing what's happening in the ND. angry

(1) (Reply)

Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd / How To Check If 100 Naira Centenary Note Is Original With Phone / What Is The Maximum Amount I Can Have In My Gtcrea8 Account??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.