Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? (1311 Views)

Fayose’s Second Coming Is Divine –former NBA Scribe / President Goodluck Said The PHCN Has Improved By 65%, / PHCN Has Not Been Sold to Private Companies; Now 18 Companies Run By FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by canuck(m): 10:32pm On Sep 02, 2009
Electronics such as phones and laptops may start shedding their power cords within a year.

That's the prediction of Eric Giler, CEO of WiTricity, a company that's able to power light bulbs using wireless electricity that travels several feet from a power socket.

WiTricity's version of wireless electricity -- which converts power into a magnetic field and sends it sailing through the air at a particular frequency -- still needs to be refined a bit, he said, but should be commercially available soon.
Giler, whose company is a spinoff of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology research group, says wireless electricity has the potential to cut the need for power cords and throw-away batteries.

"Five years from now, this will seem completely normal," he said.

One set of researchers is able to send power over long distances but in very small amounts

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/wireless.electricity/index.html
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Beaf: 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
Fear not. In these days of green energy, no such gizmo's will ever make past the drawing board into our homes. PHCN's wires are here to stay.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by canuck(m): 10:46pm On Sep 02, 2009
LOL! You think?
But the thought of wireless Internet connectivity was also laughed at in those days of dial-up - Those were the days!!! cheesy
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by oyinda3(f): 11:14pm On Sep 02, 2009
wowowoww that's crazy. will all that magnetic/electric charge n stuff affect us human beings though. since they're going through the air. lol
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Beaf: 11:30pm On Sep 02, 2009
canuck :
LOL! You think?
But the thought of wireless Internet connectivity was also laughed at in those days of dial-up - Those were the days!!! 

Yeah, it works by electromagnetic induction, the energy transerred is affected by the inverse square law. . . Ok one or two might be wanting to hang me at this moment (for being boring); but the inverse square law ensures that all such wireless devices will waste energy over any sort of distance. Thats why PHCN is still very safe.
If it wasn't a wasteful technology, we could have had electric cars zoom along roads, charging themselves from the pavement.

There are some scenarios where this will work and the technology is already used eg some electric toothbrush chargers (the type where the toothbrush sits in the crade without any visible connection to it). The catch is the distance is very small.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
How many Volts and Amperage can you transmit this way with out it being harmful to humans, do you know ppl that live under high voltage wires are prone to cancer.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Sep 02, 2009
@Poster, I am not wrong, You still need electricity to power your wireless electricity modules. So PHCN can't be waiting for this because all this does is, on the user end, do away with using of cables, while on the PHCN end, it changes nothing.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by davidif: 11:49pm On Sep 02, 2009
OgidiBoy:

How many Volts and Amperage can you transmit this way with out it being harmful to humans, do you know ppl that live under high voltage wires are prone to cancer.

Wow, you do have a point, people who live under electric transmission lines are at more risk to have cancer. But man, the way technology changes is amazing, i was reading an article on how scientists had done the impossible: they had created electrical transmission conductors [size=13pt]WHICH HAVE NO RESISTANCE TO ELECTRICITY  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[/size]. http://www.newsweek.com/id/200068/page/1

I thought this was a big deal, now i find out that they have something better wireless electrical transmission. Dang it these MIT boys are good.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by nex(m): 12:09am On Sep 03, 2009
I knew a guy in Lagos working on this 2 years ago and he sent it to some research institute in the USA for a competition. Beware of the kind of information you give out all in the name of competition.

Back to this technology, it can only produce very little electricity. It can't take away powerlines. Managing to produce only 12 volts will not get us very far. But It's something though.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by zmurda(m): 12:22am On Sep 03, 2009
contract the witricity to private companies who will rip naija pips off like mtn, celtel (i no remember their new name self) and glo

let's go there!
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 12:24am On Sep 03, 2009
nex:

I knew a guy in Lagos working on this 2 years ago and he sent it to some research institute in the USA for a competition. Beware of the kind of information you give out all in the name of competition.

Back to this technology, it can only produce very little electricity. It can't take away powerlines. Managing to produce only 12 volts will not get us very far. But It's something though.

It's really the Amp [current] that kills 0.1A is enough to stop the human heart. Volts up to 50,000 just gives you a good shock grin. It's a good technology if it is properly used, I won't trust Nigerians with it just yet.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by nex(m): 12:34am On Sep 03, 2009
For you to get a current as high as you describe, you need to attach a really large device, probably the size of a football pitch to your power outlet.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Sauron1: 12:40am On Sep 03, 2009
canuck:

Electronics such as phones and laptops may start shedding their power cords within a year.

That's the prediction of Eric Giler, CEO of WiTricity, a company that's able to power light bulbs using wireless electricity that travels several feet from a power socket.

WiTricity's version of wireless electricity -- which converts power into a magnetic field and sends it sailing through the air at a particular frequency -- still needs to be refined a bit, he said, but should be commercially available soon.
Giler, whose company is a spinoff of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology research group, says wireless electricity has the potential to cut the need for power cords and throw-away batteries.

"Five years from now, this will seem completely normal," he said.

One set of researchers is able to send power over long distances but in very small amounts

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/wireless.electricity/index.html

It cannot happen in Nigeria until 2060 even if the rest of the world start tonight.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 12:49am On Sep 03, 2009
next link=topic=318526.MSG#MSG date=1251934488:

For you to get a current as high as you describe, you need to attach a really large device, probably the size of a football pitch to your power outlet.

I'm not too familiar with the Volts and Amps used in Nigeria so I won't talk too much about that. 0.1A is really not that much, A 277V 60Hz ballast that is used to power a simple 2 lamp florescent fixture needs 0.22 Amps. So it really does depend on the device.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by FBS: 10:19am On Sep 03, 2009
Wireless electricity? Just what I've been thinking about. wink
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by YarisMan(m): 11:19am On Sep 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

It cannot happen in Nigeria until 2060 even if the rest of the world start tonight.

Bad Boyyyy!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Jakumo(m): 11:26am On Sep 03, 2009
This famous phrase was uttered back in 1920 by an American President : " Everything that can be invented HAS been invented already."
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Afam(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2009
OgidiBoy:

I'm not too familiar with the Volts and Amps used in Nigeria so I won't talk too much about that. 0.1A is really not that much, A 277V 60Hz ballast that is used to power a simple 2 lamp florescent fixture needs 0.22 Amps. So it really does depend on the device.

Nigeria is on 230V.

Any appliance that requires 0.22amps in the US with 115V will require 0.11amps at 230V. However, the appliance must be ready to work with 230V to work.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 1:04am On Sep 04, 2009
Afam:

Nigeria is on 230V.

Any appliance that requires 0.22amps in the US with 115V will require 0.11amps at 230V. However, the appliance must be ready to work with 230V to work.

Thanks Afam, 0.11amps is still a lot of Amperage to be transmitting through the air. I really need to research on this new technology, it sounds good and all because you eliminate the use of conductors and conduits but how safe  is it.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by spoOne: 1:52am On Sep 04, 2009
The current is not transmitted - it is only generated at the device through magnetic induction.

BTW there's nothing new here - all transformers work through magnitic induction. Current through Coil A generates current in coil B - so you can step down or up depending on the ratio of copper turns in coil A to Coil B. In essence an electromagnetic source can generate magnetic fields in a coil at some distance (small however) - all electrical souces generate some level of EMF, hence shielding on cables, and in your home electrical appliances.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 3:55am On Sep 04, 2009
$poOne:

The current is not transmitted - it is only generated at the device through magnetic induction.

BTW there's nothing new here - all transformers work through magnitic induction. Current through Coil A generates current in coil B - so you can step down or up depending on the ratio of copper turns in coil A to Coil B. In essence an electromagnetic source can generate magnetic fields in a coil at some distance (small however) - all electrical souces generate some level of EMF, hence shielding on cables, and in your home electrical appliances.

Basic Physics, transformers have oil inside of them to dissipate the heat generated, so how are you going to take care of the heat generated with this wireless Electricity. Also do we know the effects of prolonged exposure to magnetic fields produced which we all know will be greater then the Magnetic filed of the universe.

I hope you know I'm not trying to ague or cause trouble, I'm just trying to figure out if this wireless electricity thing will work in Nigeria undecided
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by Afam(m): 8:20am On Sep 04, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Basic Physics, transformers have oil inside of them to dissipate the heat generated, so how are you going to take care of the heat generated with this wireless Electricity. Also do we know the effects of prolonged exposure to magnetic fields produced which we all know will be greater then the Magnetic filed of the universe.

Not all transformers have oil for cooling. Air cooling is common and is used for quite a number of transformers out there even in electricity based systems.
Re: Wireless Electricity Is Coming - Is This What Phcn Has Been Waiting For? by OgidiBoy(m): 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2009
Afam:

Not all transformers have oil for cooling. Air cooling is common and is used for quite a number of transformers out there even in electricity based systems.

That's right Afam, but in Nigeria where it's always hot and humid will this Wireless tech only work in an Air conditioned room ?

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns / Edo State Presidential Result Read By The State Inec Commission / Pdp National Working Committee Upholds Sylva's Disqualification From Bayelsa Gub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.