Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers (2335 Views)

Frederick Lugard, 'Iguocha', And Historical References / Nigerian Scammers - A Contrary View / Nigerian Scammers Caught On Tape On ABC's 20/20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 12:33pm On Sep 03, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8

[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8[/img]

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8[/flash]

Na wa o where is the foreign ministry of this country, We have a world reputable company, sony, basically classifying Nigerians as scammers

First is district 9, the movie, now this and our government is silent about how we are being portrayed overseas,

How can this rebranding of a thing work when we are meant to change peoples views about ourselves but instead we are spending millions in Nigeria to rebrand Nigerians? We need to petition foreign countries, medias etc target those mothersuckers to leave us alone or no oil grin

Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 03, 2009
O'boy I fear o, he don reach like this!!

Maybe a top SONY official was scammed, shuo shocked shocked
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 03, 2009
i guess, me i wan enter system this time maga go over pay, just to give them something to talk about angry, which kain useless referencing be this
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Kobojunkie: 2:50pm On Sep 03, 2009
Is it just me. First, the topic you have here is SONY COMMERcial References NIGERIAN SCAMMERS. Are we supposed to somehow Protect these Nigerian Scammers? Does Sony or any other company out there no longer have the right to call out Scammers, whether Nigerian, even in Ads?
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by canuck(m): 2:55pm On Sep 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is it just me. First, the topic you have here is SONY COMMERcial References NIGERIAN SCAMMERS. Are we supposed to somehow Protect these Nigerian Scammers? Does Sony or any other company out there no longer have the right to call out Scammers, whether Nigerian, even in Ads?

Abi o! It's not just you K-junkie, me sef hala.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Esskay2: 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2009
I don't blame these western people, they have no regard what so ever for Nigeria, even the Zombie we have as president lacks normal quality the average man needs to function e.g charisma, grace, carriage etc not to talk of being the leader of the country.

They are just starting with with Nigeria, many more insults to come.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 11:30pm On Sep 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

you made a point Kobojunkie, But must you commercialize your product at the detriment of a whole nation, Its true there are lot of scammers straight outta Nigeria, But the commercial was a gross generalization OR still they can sell their PS3 without that punch line abi u no gree?
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by kosovo(m): 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2009
do we need to go over this again?
stop this madness!
not that Sony was lying afterall,
let the rants continue,
like no other ; SONY.
nigeria= DISASTER!
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Eagle1(m): 11:41pm On Sep 04, 2009
How come there are no commercials about Somali pirates? I honestly think the media is being deliberately manipulated to make it look like scamming is a nigerian thing. Its takes 2 to tango, the scammer and the greedy idiot who believes the bullshit. This Sony rubbish is part of an agenda to deny/acknowledge our positive(individual and collective) contributions to global advancement. So sad.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by texazzpete(m): 12:07am On Sep 05, 2009
Eagle1:

How come there are no commercials about Somali pirates? I honestly think the media is being deliberately manipulated to make it look like scamming is a nigerian thing. Its takes 2 to tango, the scammer and the greedy idiot who believes the bullshit. This Sony rubbish is part of an agenda to deny/acknowledge our positive(individual and collective) contributions to global advancement. So sad.

1. Not every scam needs a 'greedy idiot'. Dating scams, money order scams and scams defrauding churches and charities only need a great amount of trust, not greed

2. Every human being has a kernel of greed in him, it just depends on the stimulus needed to push you over the threshold. When all is said and done, all the blame must fall on the instigator, the seducer, the initiator. And that is the Nigerian.

3. Your somali pirate analogy is rather brainless. Piracy is confined to the waters of Somalia. No-one is gonna think a Somali living in aberdeen is a pirate. Nigerian scammers reach everywhere in the western world.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 5:36am On Sep 05, 2009
texazzpete:

1. Not every scam needs a 'greedy idiot'. Dating scams, money order scams and scams defrauding churches and charities only need a great amount of trust, not greed

2. Every human being has a kernel of greed in him, it just depends on the stimulus needed to push you over the threshold. When all is said and done, all the blame must fall on the instigator, the seducer, the initiator. And that is the Nigerian.

3. Your somali pirate analogy is rather brainless. Piracy is confined to the waters of Somalia. No-one is gonna think a Somali living in aberdeen is a pirate. Nigerian scammers reach everywhere in the western world.

I beg to differ, Eagle1 made a very valid point, Somalian piracy is not confined to the waters of somalia. There have been instances this pirates went as far as to the waters of Yemen, kenya and even egypt, Moreover those affected are the international community, so dont try to down play it, otherwise the u.s and the world wouldnt have send their navies to patrol such water

am not condoning nigerian scammers but it definitel seems the western Media have a thing for Nigeria
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Eagle1(m): 8:18am On Sep 05, 2009
@texazzpete
1. Dating scam etc; u know so much about these things, na wa o.
2. Somebody you've never met promises u a mouthwatering share of a staggering sum at an effort so easy and u call it trust.
3. Somali pirates - please read more on this and u'll know the impact on global commerce. And of course its making headlines all over the world
4. Did u listen to the commercial @ all? '
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by chrisical(m): 9:07am On Sep 05, 2009
aysometin:

O'boy I fear o, he don reach like this!!

Maybe a top SONY official was scammed, shuo shocked shocked

Abi ooo.Those criminals could have scammed an official of sony.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by texazzpete(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2009
igbo boy:

I beg to differ, Eagle1 made a very valid point, Somalian piracy is not confined to the waters of somalia. There have been instances this pirates went as far as to the waters of Yemen, kenya and even egypt, Moreover those affected are the international community, so dont try to down play it, otherwise the u.s and the world wouldnt have send their navies to patrol such water

As i said before, no one will ever take a Somali living in Aberdeen, Brooklyn or Toronto for a pirate. The effect of Somali piracy is localized. Can you say the same for Nigerian 419ers?

igbo boy:

am not condoning nigerian scammers but it definitel seems the western Media have a thing for Nigeria

1. You are actually condoning 419. Anything short of Zero tolerance is sympathetic to their cause.
2. The fact that You live in a country where all your journalists are sell-outs does not mean that all other countries' media fall in that mould. Tens of thousands of Westerners have been duped by Nigerians, and millions more have recieved 419 mails emanating from Nigeria. What do you expect them to think?
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by texazzpete(m): 9:40am On Sep 05, 2009
Eagle1:

@texazzpete
1. Dating scam etc; u know so much about these things, na wa o.

Of course i know about these things, anyone with half a brain and a reasonably keen sense of observation will know all these. When 419 is such a big menace to our reputation, only a dumbass will not take time out to learn what makes these people tick.

Eagle1:

2. Somebody you've never met promises u a mouthwatering share of a staggering sum at an effort so easy and u call it trust.

Can you please learn to read before typing? My trust comment was made when i referred to Dating scams, scams aimed at churches, charity organisations, scams centered around natural disasters like Katrina etc.
However, it's still apt in many cases, including the popular lottery scams. People are used to getting things free on the net these days, and not everyone is extremely intelligent.

Eagle1:

3. Somali pirates - please read more on this and u'll know the impact on global commerce. And of course its making headlines all over the world

Yet again you show your puzzling inability to comprehend simple written English. People KNOW that there's a serious piracy problem in Somalia. But anyone doing business with a Somalian in Brooklyn or Texas will not associate the person with Piracy.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by proudly9ja(m): 9:41am On Sep 05, 2009
I am not going to condone the rubbish those people who spoil our names but I will also not accept what SONY has done. It is harrant nonsense!

And I don't really blame them. I blame us Nigerians. Already on this thread and many other threads outlining this nonsense by SONY and some of us see nothing wrong in what SONY has done? I know we are all entitled to our opinions and while I accept that I will like to plead with us Nigerians that for once let's be logical and speak with one voice!

Why has SONY or any other corporation for that matter not referenced Iraqi suicide bombers in any advert? or even referenced them as terrorist? Why is it that when they are even mentioned as terrorists, it is seen as a racist statement yet they can insult insult Nigerians? Let us remember that for every scammer, there are over 100,000 hard working Nigerians who work hard to take care of themselves and their families.

Let us see this for what it is and stop calling black white. It is wrong and SONY must apologise!
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 10:08am On Sep 05, 2009
texazzpete:

As i said before, no one will ever take a Somali living in Aberdeen, Brooklyn or Toronto for a pirate. The effect of Somali piracy is localized. Can you say the same for Nigerian 419ers?

1. You are actually condoning 419. Anything short of Zero tolerance is sympathetic to their cause.
2. The fact that You live in a country where all your journalists are sell-outs does not mean that all other countries' media fall in that mould. Tens of thousands of Westerners have been duped by Nigerians, and millions more have recieved 419 mails emanating from Nigeria. What do you expect them to think?

PLease dont tell me the effect of the somali piracy is localized, like i said if it were a local issue, World powers would not send their navies to patrol such waters,

Incase you dont know the global effect maybe i should spell it out for you

1. When cargo ships are forced to hire security to protect their ships this expense is passed down to me and you when the goods arrive,

2. this discourages tourism in surrounding countries (such as Kenya, Egypt, sudan , yemen etc) , there you see the effect is no longer local, Even holiday makers in their private yacht are being kidnapped,

3. Now Imagine a sensitive cargo (nuclear, arms etc) being captured. And now this cargo falls into the hand of terrorists. Possibly it can fall into the hands of their brethren who shares the same radical beleifs such as Boko haram in Nigeria, now this would no longer be a local issue, So the Global community has to be sure such weapons dont fall in the wrong hands,
to name a few,

DOnt tell me I am condoning 419 just because I dont agree with the Sony Ad, TWO WRONGS DONT MAKE A RIGHT, Nigerian scammers are wrong so was the sony ad.

By the way 90% of scammers like Eagle1 said are because of greed on the victims part, Lets be real we hear less of the church scams and more of those greedy people trying to make a quick buck or two
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by agathamari(f): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2009
Eagle1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8be19DSpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehweLPluNpY&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBoO4GzHaI&feature=fvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJlRPW1FuY&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPea9BRyRA
http://images1.cafepress.com/product/339368311v2_150x150_Front_Color-PinkSalmon.jpg
http://www.kchronicles.com/uploaded_images/somalipirateweb-795854.jpg

name one group that hasnt been the butt of some joke or advert.  get over it already
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by igboboy1(m): 12:25am On Sep 06, 2009
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Eagle1(m): 9:01am On Sep 06, 2009
@Texazzpette,

Wonder why u're personalising issues. Mean u can't discuss or disagree on issues without recourse to abuse or foul words. Please expand ur horizon, read b4 posting replies. U ever of sarcasm?
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2009
I've always been disgusted at the high rate Nigerians have been involved in scamming. It's so embarrassing. I don't condone it, not under the slightest excuse. But from a company like SONY, I'd have expected some leniency rather than stereotyping all Nigerians as scammers. I can't classify that as being racist, but for sure a company with such reputation should know better than single out a particular country for slurring -- it's not professional. I guess they've seen Nigerian leaders as toothless dogs who can't do nothing, oh well, aren't the leaders scammers too?!

I do agree with some of what texazzpete said but he went a little overboard, shipping his points home. But you see, you don't insult a whole country. It's just plain immaturity. I don't accept what SONY had portrayed Nigeria as, and in fact, if I was the Nigerian president, I'd have subdued them and they'll make an apology for such brainless criticism. I don't see any solution in sight to completely halt these scammers.

On a second thought, are Nigerians the only scammers? I know there are lots on Russia, China and Philippines. I get lots of emails from these countries more often than Nigeria and I'm so sure scamming didn't originate from Nigeria -- yes, it may have been advanced and upped there -- it started elsewhere and are still practiced widely in other countries. I see SONY's actions as deliberate and should have been utterly spoken against by the Nigerian government. My respect for SONY just went low since I saw the ad, and they're just a gross disappointment. How about them not ship their products to Nigeria anymore (it's not like it's going to affect them anyway)? How about them close down their offices in Nigeria? Their executives took a shot at Nigerians and the government folded their hands and watched.

Well, what else more can I say?! After all, the government denied there there Nigerians lined up for execution in Libya when in fact it was absolutely true. . . I blame it on them.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2009
I have questions for you @The_seeker

Bernie, you cant beleive everything you read on the internet, otherwise i will be a Nigeria millionaire by now.

a) What part of that line offends you?

b) Are you one of those online claiming to be Nigerian millionaires?

c) Do you personally know a Nigerian millionaire who happens to go on the internet to tell folks of it?

d) What part of that statement there IMPLIES ALL NIGERIANS ARE SCAMMERS?

I really don't get how any honest person would be offended by that line except the person is a Nigerian internet millionaire. I would like to understand how you have chosen to interpret and justify your claim that the above line is offensive to Nigerians as a whole.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 4:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
Maybe you should go back and read what I said over again. And you need to point out things I said that made me sound or look like I'm one of Nigerian internet millionaires, when you've successfully done that, I will give answers to your questions.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Sep 06, 2009
Sigh!!! undecided
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 4:27pm On Sep 06, 2009
I'm still waiting for that response to support your questions, B and C. wink
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2009
Why are you threatened by the questions which are not directed at your person but simple questions asked to understand where you are coming from? What response do you expect from me when you deliberately chose to twist the straightforward questions the way you did?

Sigh!
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 4:41pm On Sep 06, 2009
If you meant the questions you asked, then yes, they were and still are directed at my person. Questions A to C had the pronoun, "you". And I didn't twist your question, I just needed to know what conclusions let you to answer those questions, alright?
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2009
And no, I'm not in the least threatened by your questions.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Sep 06, 2009
Conclusion? Sigh!!!

Dude, if you do not have answers, no need dragging this on!! I will ask the next person. The first I asked the very same questions, never answered, and I moved on to ask others.
Re: Sony Commercial References Nigerian Scammers by TheSeeker(m): 4:51pm On Sep 06, 2009
[Quote]If you meant the questions you asked, then yes, they were and still are directed at my person. Questions A to C had the pronoun, "you". And I didn't twist your question, I just needed to know what conclusions let you to answer those questions, alright?[/Quote]

I meant to say: I needed to know what conclusions you drew from my comments that led you to ask those questions, because from all I said I don't think any of them gave the slightest indication for you to ask me questions B and C.

I'm going to drop it as well because if you go back to what I said, those questions don't apply to me as well as my comments. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Sanusi: I May Go On Exile If Jonathan Does Not Support Me / Two Pdp Governorship Aspirants Emerged In Ogun State / In Lagos, Bigamy Is No Longer A Crime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.