Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name (99114 Views)

What Is The English Name For "Kpomor"? / Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For / Four Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by sugardad1(m): 12:39pm On Jun 25, 2016
Nigerians are so creative that rather than find out the English names of certain fruits, they have either stuck with the traditional name or invented a new name for said fruit. Here are common
examples:

1. Tropical Almonds
The tropical almond can be found in many parts of Southern Nigeria. But Nigerians definitely don’t bother calling it tropical almond. This delicious fruit is referred to as “fruit”.

76 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by sugardad1(m): 12:41pm On Jun 25, 2016
2. Tiger Nuts
The name “Tiger nut” is yet to stick to this sweet root from Northern Nigeria. Tiger nut is called its traditional name in various parts of the country; Ofio in the Southwest, Aki Hausa in the Southeast and Aya in the North.

46 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by sugardad1(m): 12:43pm On Jun 25, 2016
3. Black Velvet Tamarind
To undertake a fruitless (in both senses) market search, you only have to keep asking for “black velvet tamarind”. If you’re interested in enjoying the sweet-tart goodness of this fruit, please forget your “shakara” and call it “lickie lickie” like everyone else.

62 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by sugardad1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
4. African Star Apple
Try searching for African star apple on Google and watch the search engine struggle to come up with results. But search for “Agbalumo” and watch Google turn to superstar with numerous results. This is because Nigerians only know this fruit as Agbalumo, not as the African Star Apple.

Soure:
http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/4-fruits-nigerians-dont-know-english-names/

32 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by srrrr(m): 12:54pm On Jun 25, 2016
1. Pear 2. Hausa groundnut dunno for the rest

2 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by theEYe21(f): 1:01pm On Jun 25, 2016
5. Guess the English name grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by respect80(m): 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
Isn't that date fruit

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by ambitiousLord(m): 1:26pm On Jun 25, 2016
DATE

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Bnladan(m): 1:51pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
dates

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by druxy(m): 2:27pm On Jun 25, 2016
the 2nd pic is "imumu" in yoruba

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by b3llo(m): 2:39pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

3. Black Velvet Tamarind
To undertake a fruitless (in both senses) market search, you only have to keep asking for “black velvet tamarind”. If you’re interested in enjoying the sweet-tart goodness of this fruit, please forget your “shakara” and call it “lickie lickie” like everyone else.
Tsamiyan Biri in Hausa

10 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Enrichlee(m): 2:52pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
debino

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by STPEACE10: 3:08pm On Jun 25, 2016
achieved, thanks op

fruits na tropical almond
icheku na black velvet tamarind (ugbanjeleke)
aki awusa na tiger north abi nuts
udara na African star apple

but the names too long nah, sentence names.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by iyblaq(m): 3:17pm On Jun 25, 2016
African star Apple is called Udarri in Efik, Cross River and Akwa Ibom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Tiskified(m): 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

3. Black Velvet Tamarind
To undertake a fruitless (in both senses) market search, you only have to keep asking for “black velvet tamarind”.

I saw what you did there. Love me a good pun...

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

4. African Star Apple
Try searching for African star apple on Google and watch the search engine struggle to come up with results. But search for “Agbalumo” and watch Google turn to superstar with numerous results. This is because Nigerians only know this fruit as Agbalumo, not as the African Star Apple.

and so Na we get the fruit, before I was born my forefathers named it Agbalumo and so Agbalumo is the name not African star apple.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by M17CXi: 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2016
No.1 na EBelibor naaa
We dey throw stone dey pluck am for here that year na!!! EDO OREDO boys lol

30 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by mikykinz(m): 4:13pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

3. Black Velvet Tamarind
I do call no 3-icheku in south eastern area

11 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by donbenedict(m): 4:27pm On Jun 25, 2016
Nchekwu grin

3 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by tizblink: 4:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
Once the bell rang, we would only be thinking about plucking "Fruit".
'Aki Hausa'! Omoh I hated vhat name ehn.

Preferred calling it 'Hausa Groundnut'.
Never liked it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by slimmybaarbie(f): 4:43pm On Jun 25, 2016
African Apple star ko undecided

Agbalumo is Agbalumo undecided

PLEASE CHECK MY SIGGY cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by emillionia: 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
i know all the name of this ..
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by veekid(m): 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
I sabi am
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by talentedjoe(m): 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
Icheku ....Hausa groundnut....''fruit" grin
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by sukkot: 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
i need some ofio in my life right about now

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by omolola15(m): 5:08pm On Jun 25, 2016
Fruit is fruit. Ofio is Ofio and agbalumo is agbalumo.

NO come dey give us botanical name here jare.

9 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by amiibaby(f): 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
No idea
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by omolola15(m): 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

3. Black Velvet Tamarind

This is called awin or ayin in ogun state.

6 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Olasco93: 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
Nigerians have alot to crack their brains on, not Fruits...
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Dbeze: 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
Buhari wife don travel to us?

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2016
Joavid:

and so Na we get the fruit, before I was born my forefathers named it Agbalumo and so Agbalumo is the name not African star apple.

Youre right you know
Why cant we have the oyinbos call it just that.
Write it in their fùcking books for the records Y'dig?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Guys Kill Gorilla In Warri, Pose With It After Roasting It On Fire (Photos) / The Animals Boys Caught After Morning Training (Photos) / Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.