Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,507 members, 7,781,559 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. (24249 Views)

6 Ways To Achieve Financial Independence / How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 / What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 25, 2016
I was excited yesterday when I saw the CFO of Vodacom Oluseyi Olarenwaju sent me a message on LinkedIn commending my profile.
Well, for obvious reasons a lot of companies are going to LinkedIn for their recruitment. LinkedIn has the widest gathering of experienced personnel in the world. No wonder it is called the social network with a collar. I know what you are thinking. This is a social network for old people. But you are wrong. Having a LinkedIn profile gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself to the world. And virtually the top executives of most companies are there. Don't take my word for it, Google any of them and see what comes up first. (LinkedIn of course)

So my question today to all undergraduate, graduate and workers looking for a change: why haven't you taken this opportunity to define what comes up when your name is searched for?
Today, LinkedIn recommended a Job that fits exactly what I am studying, surely if I was a graduate I would have as quickly applied.

Enough is said about what LinkedIn can make of your career. Here are five obvious reasons you should set up your LinkedIn account today.

1.Professional Presentation
If you are pursuing a career in any field, forget facebook and focus on LinkedIn. Your profile is like a Resume or CV and anyone in the world can see your qualifications and call you up. Even if you have a job, having a killer LinkedIn profile can increase your chance at success in case you want a change.

2. Professional Networking
I am just an undergraduate. But through LinkedIn I was able to make contact with the CFO of Vodacom and also the Head of a unit at one of the big four. Why am I telling you this? Just so you can see that the social network gives you the opportunity to build a professional netwok of quality people from around the world. You can also use this platform to connect with others in your industry. Who knows, there might be a better position elsewhere. Even entrepreneurs can use this to meet with others in their industry and learn more. It is said your netwok determines your network.

3. Access to information on job opportunities
Once you set up your profile, LinkedIn starts matching your skills to positions advertised. This is done automatically and you get notified about it. Imagine how helpful this can be when searching for a job.

4.An opportunity to sell yourself without stress
I noticed that sometimes, there is alot we want to express on our CV but in a bid to conserve paper and not make the CV bulky, we omit them. I noticed this when I applied for an internship position at KPMG(I got in by the way). A simple link to my LinkedIn profile on my CV was really helpful in selling my self to them. With LinkedIn you can write as much as you want and state all your experiences in details. And the platform presents it so professionally for you that it doesn't look to bulky.

5.Easier Recruitment.
This goes to business owners and entrepreneurs. You can make use of the platform for your recruitment and get more qualified and experienced personnel.

LinkedIn.com is the website go on and register if you haven't already. Be sure to Google Tips on how to setup your profile properly. I would in a later post write about that as well.

Meanwhile, check out my profile and tell me what you think https://ng.linkedin.com/in/joseph-onyemakonor-3423101

33 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 25, 2016
CC lalatiscala
Pls front page so every one can benefit
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by sucobaba(m): 5:44pm On Jun 27, 2016
Nice one OP..finish the good work by customizing your linkedin url and take charge of your e-space.

Regards

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
On point OP...thanks
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 27, 2016
donsaint2:
On point OP...thanks
Was hoping this would make FP.
It's imformative

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 27, 2016
optimusmind:

Was hoping this would make FP. It's imformative
It still might, very informative. Kudos

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
Bros,
Lalasticlala

Have you seen this
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by ukehnonny: 6:31pm On Jun 29, 2016
That's nice. I just learnt something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Adesiji77: 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
Cool. I got my present job through Linkedin smiley

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Aphatech: 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is very good...nice write up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by brunofarad(m): 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nice info Op

Educative

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Ayoswit(f): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2016
ok o

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by sbabimbola(f): 7:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
you are on point..... I'm just weary of those looking for who to hook there these days.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Jobsdome: 8:01pm On Jun 29, 2016
Good tip
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by kay29000(m): 8:01pm On Jun 29, 2016
True. I agree.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Orikinla(m): 8:04pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:
I was excited yesterday when I saw the CFO of Vodacom Oluseyi Olarenwaju sent me a message on LinkedIn commending my profile.
Well, for obvious reasons a lot of companies are going to LinkedIn for their recruitment. LinkedIn has the widest gathering of experienced personnel in the world. No wonder it is called the social network with a collar. I know what you are thinking. This is a social network for old people. But you are wrong. Having a LinkedIn profile gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself to the world. And virtually the top executives of most companies are there. Don't take my word for it, Google any of them and see what comes up first. (LinkedIn of course)

So my question today to all undergraduate, graduate and workers looking for a change: why haven't you taken this opportunity to define what comes up when your name is searched for?
Today, LinkedIn recommended a Job that fits exactly what I am studying, surely if I was a graduate I would have as quickly applied.

Enough is said about what LinkedIn can make of your career. Here are five obvious reasons you should set up your LinkedIn account today.

If you are pursuing a career in any field, forget facebook and focus on LinkedIn. Your profile is like a Resume or CV and anyone in the world can see your qualifications and call you up. Even if you have a job, having a killer LinkedIn profile can increase your chance at success in case you want a change.

I am just an undergraduate. But through LinkedIn I was able to make contact with the CFO of Vodacom and also the Head of a unit at one of the big four. Why am I telling you this? Just so you can see that the social network gives you the opportunity to build a professional netwok of quality people from around the world. You can also use this platform to connect with others in your industry. Who knows, there might be a better position elsewhere. Even entrepreneurs can use this to meet with others in their industry and learn more. It is said your netwok determines your network.

Once you set up your profile, LinkedIn starts matching your skills to positions advertised. This is done automatically and you get notified about it. Imagine how helpful this can be when searching for a job.

I noticed that sometimes, there is alot we want to express on our CV but in a bid to conserve paper and not make the CV bulky, we omit them. I noticed this when I applied for an internship position at KPMG(I got in by the way). A simple link to my LinkedIn profile on my CV was really helpful in selling my self to them. With LinkedIn you can write as much as you want and state all your experiences in details. And the platform presents it so professionally for you that it doesn't look to bulky.

5.Easier Recruitment.
This goes to business owners and entrepreneurs. You can make use of the platform for your recruitment and get more qualified and experienced personnel.

LinkedIn.com is the website go on and register if you haven't already. Be sure to Google Tips on how to setup your profile properly. I would in a later post write about that as well.

Meanwhile, check out my profile and tell me what you think https://ng.linkedin.com/in/joseph-onyemakonor-3423101

You are brilliant, intelligent and smart.
I wish majority of undergraduates in Nigeria will think and act like you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is so so real kiss kiss kiss kiss

I'm still an undergraduate and I have already built my LinkedIn profile to an expert level. I noticed influential people viewing my profile day in day out and I do receive Job opportunities that commensurate with my skills every week.

I can't just wait to graduate in few weeks time to grab a sumptuous job via Lindkedin.

I'm not even the one sending request to get connected anylonger, those people do.

Meanwhile, not everyone you see on LinkedIn are for real.

The above points highlighted by the OP are not far from truth.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oyedeji-oyeniyi-706256103

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Zonacom(m): 8:05pm On Jun 29, 2016
I just downloaded the app. Thanks op
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Olalan(m): 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2016
I think people need to know and understand that linkedin is not facebook where you post and upload irrelevances, such as social pictures or reminding your contacts about your birthday. The medium is supposed to be to for professionals and workers to connect and network for their respective growth career wise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by PublicAssurance: 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2016
[size=18pt]Linkedin doesn’t work…stop fooling yourselves! [/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Niyinficient(m): 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2016
Impressive shi.t
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Sike(m): 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2016
You're right OP, but I just don't find LinkedIn entertaining. I don't know if it's only me or whatever!
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
LinkedIn is great, got the info for the present training that I'm doing there, I wish Undergraduates and graduates will join linkedin and take the opportunity there.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Ataidara: 8:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
At op and others Can a graduate with no paid job but has a trade doing create a LinkedIn profile?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Ataidara: 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2016
At op and others Can a graduate who has never had a paid job but has a trade doing create a LinkedIn profile?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by LeProdigy(m): 8:19pm On Jun 29, 2016
thanks for the info.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by sixtus3606(m): 8:19pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:

5.Easier Recruitment.

Op...you're absolutely right! I have won lots of contracts from that platform and that has been my only ground for the world to be acquainted with my field of expertise.
connect with me on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sixtus-ekeocha-b1b057104/

lalasticlala, mynd44 take note!! ;-p
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2016
Ataidara:
At op and others Can a graduate who has never had a paid job but has a trade doing create a LinkedIn profile?

Sure bro
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2016
sixtus3606:

Op...you're absolutely right! I have won lots of contracts from that platform and that has been my only ground for the world to be acquainted with my field of expertise.
connect with me on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sixtus-ekeocha-b1b057104/
lalastic. lala, my. nd44 take note!! ;-p

You are so right..... I'm connecting with you right away

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Doubleoo(m): 8:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
If you need a professional LinkedIn profile, connection or recommendations, contact me by visiting my site (in signature). You can also send invitation on LinkedIn @ www.linkedin.com/in/ojajuniwole

I work on LinkedIn all the time.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by SmithHumble50: 8:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
But 95% of Nigerian Employers and recruitment agencies don't use LinkedIn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.