Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,005 members, 7,799,446 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. (24255 Views)

6 Ways To Achieve Financial Independence / How To Rock Your Linkedin Profile In 8 Steps in 2017 / What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by macaranta(m): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
Okay nice
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by vickylincon(m): 8:33pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:
I was excited yesterday when I saw the CFO of Vodacom Oluseyi Olarenwaju sent me a message on LinkedIn commending my profile.
Well, for obvious reasons a lot of companies are going to LinkedIn for their recruitment. LinkedIn has the widest gathering of experienced personnel in the world. No wonder it is called the social network with a collar. I know what you are thinking. This is a social network for old people. But you are wrong. Having a LinkedIn profile gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself to the world. And virtually the top executives of most companies are there. Don't take my word for it, Google any of them and see what comes up first. (LinkedIn of course)

So my question today to all undergraduate, graduate and workers looking for a change: why haven't you taken this opportunity to define what comes up when your name is searched for?
Today, LinkedIn recommended a Job that fits exactly what I am studying, surely if I was a graduate I would have as quickly applied.

Enough is said about what LinkedIn can make of your career. Here are five obvious reasons you should set up your LinkedIn account today.

1.Professional Presentation
If you are pursuing a career in any field, forget facebook and focus on LinkedIn. Your profile is like a Resume or CV and anyone in the world can see your qualifications and call you up. Even if you have a job, having a killer LinkedIn profile can increase your chance at success in case you want a change.

2. Professional Networking
I am just an undergraduate. But through LinkedIn I was able to make contact with the CFO of Vodacom and also the Head of a unit at one of the big four. Why am I telling you this? Just so you can see that the social network gives you the opportunity to build a professional netwok of quality people from around the world. You can also use this platform to connect with others in your industry. Who knows, there might be a better position elsewhere. Even entrepreneurs can use this to meet with others in their industry and learn more. It is said your netwok determines your network.

3. Access to information on job opportunities
Once you set up your profile, LinkedIn starts matching your skills to positions advertised. This is done automatically and you get notified about it. Imagine how helpful this can be when searching for a job.

4.An opportunity to sell yourself without stress
I noticed that sometimes, there is alot we want to express on our CV but in a bid to conserve paper and not make the CV bulky, we omit them. I noticed this when I applied for an internship position at KPMG(I got in by the way). A simple link to my LinkedIn profile on my CV was really helpful in selling my self to them. With LinkedIn you can write as much as you want and state all your experiences in details. And the platform presents it so professionally for you that it doesn't look to bulky.

5.Easier Recruitment.
This goes to business owners and entrepreneurs. You can make use of the platform for your recruitment and get more qualified and experienced personnel.

LinkedIn.com is the website go on and register if you haven't already. Be sure to Google Tips on how to setup your profile properly. I would in a later post write about that as well.

Meanwhile, check out my profile and tell me what you think https://ng.linkedin.com/in/joseph-onyemakonor-3423101
see your profile.. Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2016
SmithHumble50:
But 95% of Nigerian Employers and recruitment agencies don't use LinkedIn.

Your assertion is far from the truth
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by careercrew1: 8:49pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:
I was excited yesterday when I saw the CFO of Vodacom Oluseyi Olarenwaju sent me a message on LinkedIn commending my profile.
Well, for obvious reasons a lot of companies are going to LinkedIn for their recruitment. LinkedIn has the widest gathering of experienced personnel in the world. No wonder it is called the social network with a collar. I know what you are thinking. This is a social network for old people. But you are wrong. Having a LinkedIn profile gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself to the world. And virtually the top executives of most companies are there. Don't take my word for it, Google any of them and see what comes up first. (LinkedIn of course)

So my question today to all undergraduate, graduate and workers looking for a change: why haven't you taken this opportunity to define what comes up when your name is searched for?
Today, LinkedIn recommended a Job that fits exactly what I am studying, surely if I was a graduate I would have as quickly applied.

Enough is said about what LinkedIn can make of your career. Here are five obvious reasons you should set up your LinkedIn account today.

If you are pursuing a career in any field, forget facebook and focus on LinkedIn. Your profile is like a Resume or CV and anyone in the world can see your qualifications and call you up. Even if you have a job, having a killer LinkedIn profile can increase your chance at success in case you want a change.

I am just an undergraduate. But through LinkedIn I was able to make contact with the CFO of Vodacom and also the Head of a unit at one of the big four. Why am I telling you this? Just so you can see that the social network gives you the opportunity to build a professional netwok of quality people from around the world. You can also use this platform to connect with others in your industry. Who knows, there might be a better position elsewhere. Even entrepreneurs can use this to meet with others in their industry and learn more. It is said your netwok determines your network.

Once you set up your profile, LinkedIn starts matching your skills to positions advertised. This is done automatically and you get notified about it. Imagine how helpful this can be when searching for a job.

I noticed that sometimes, there is alot we want to express on our CV but in a bid to conserve paper and not make the CV bulky, we omit them. I noticed this when I applied for an internship position at KPMG(I got in by the way). A simple link to my LinkedIn profile on my CV was really helpful in selling my self to them. With LinkedIn you can write as much as you want and state all your experiences in details. And the platform presents it so professionally for you that it doesn't look to bulky.

5.Easier Recruitment.
This goes to business owners and entrepreneurs. You can make use of the platform for your recruitment and get more qualified and experienced personnel.

LinkedIn.com is the website go on and register if you haven't already. Be sure to Google Tips on how to setup your profile properly. I would in a later post write about that as well.

Meanwhile, check out my profile and tell me what you think https://ng.linkedin.com/in/joseph-onyemakonor-3423101

Very true what you said, so many people got jobs via LinkedIn .. You can also develop your career by visiting www.careercrew..com
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by donigspain(m): 8:53pm On Jun 29, 2016
PublicAssurance:
[size=18pt]Linkedin doesn’t work…stop fooling yourselves! [/size]
SmithHumble50:
But 95% of Nigerian Employers and recruitment agencies don't use LinkedIn.
Big lie. I have been getting offers via linkedin. The HRs and MDs contact me directly. Last month, I got 3 mouth-watering offers. Last week I got another offer. The offer letters are lying here in my drawers. The secret is to have a keyword-compliant professional profile while maintaining a creative buzz of relevant industry information as either posts or published articles. Don't forget to include projects executed, skills acquired, honours and achievements, and relevant certifications.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by PublicAssurance: 9:07pm On Jun 29, 2016
Mr Man...enough of the Linkedin sales pitch....it doesn't work simple. Job offer is not the same as Job...LOL....by the way what kind of jobs have you been offered?....Linkedin Sales Rep?
donigspain:
Big lie. I have been getting offers via linkedin. The HRs and MDs contact me directly. Last month, I got 3 mouth-watering offers. Last week I got another offer. The offer letters are lying here in my drawers. The secret is to have a keyword-compliant professional profile while maintaining a creative buzz of relevant industry information as either posts or published articles. Don't forget to include projects executed, skills acquired, honours and achievements, and relevant certifications.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by donigspain(m): 9:34pm On Jun 29, 2016
PublicAssurance:
Mr Man...enough of the Linkedin sales pitch....it doesn't work simple. Job offer is not the same as Job...LOL....by the way what kind of jobs have you been offered?....Linkedin Sales Rep?
Old man, it's not a sales pitch. All offers are 6 digits. tongue As you believe, so will it be for you. By the way, my signature should have given you idea of the industry I work in. That's if you're wise and pay attention to detail. Keep your doubts to yourself. Don't come here to discourage people who may gain from the opportunities on LinkedIn. Anyways, I'll always be here to verbally knock some sense into your empty skull. cheesy
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by InfomejobsN: 9:35pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nice Info

Check My Signature for Daily Job Info
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 29, 2016
Neyoor:
This is so so real kiss kiss kiss kiss

I'm still an undergraduate and I have already built my LinkedIn profile to an expert level. I noticed influential people viewing my profile day in day out and I do receive Job opportunities that commensurate with my skills every week.

I can't just wait to graduate in few weeks time to grab a sumptuous job via Lindkedin.

I'm not even the one sending request to get connected anylonger, those people do.

Meanwhile, not everyone you see on LinkedIn are for real.

The above points highlighted by the OP are not far from truth.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oyedeji-oyeniyi-706256103

I don't understand. How do you get to know the people who view your profile? Does it mean the people whose profiles I have viewed are aware of me? I am not on LinkedIn Btw. So how would they know it's me?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Kakamorufu(m): 9:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:

5.Easier Recruitment.

thanks , i guess i will have to work on my page again to make it hot

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Ezionye(f): 9:39pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nice one op. Ave really learnt a lot from the updates and articles there.

BTW ave been trying to change my pix to a more professional one as am looking to do more networking for a career change, but it seems ders no place for editing or changing the pix.

Any suggestions?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by XwhY(m): 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2016
this is an eye opener. ...off to linkdin
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by donigspain(m): 9:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
Ezionye:
Nice one op. Ave really learnt a lot from the updates and articles there.

BTW ave been trying to change my pix to a more professional one as am looking to do more networking for a career change, but it seems ders no place for editing or changing the pix.

Any suggestions?
From a PC/laptop, click on Edit Profile and then click on the profile pic. You shld be able to see ''Change Photo'' option.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by PublicAssurance: 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2016
6 digits in Naira or dollars? cos I burn 6 digit (Naira) in the club almost every weekend on Awolowo Road Ikoyi
donigspain:
Old man, it's not a sales pitch. All offers are 6 digits. tongue As you believe, so will it be for you. By the way, my signature should have given you idea of the industry I work in. That's if you're wise and pay attention to detail. Keep your doubts to yourself. Don't come here to discourage people who may gain from the opportunities on LinkedIn. Anyways, I'll always be here to verbally knock some sense into your empty skull. cheesy
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by donigspain(m): 9:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
PublicAssurance:
6 digits in Naira or dollars? cos I burn 6 digit (Naira) in the club almost every weekend on Awolowo Road Ikoyi
So you ''burn'' 999,999 naira over a weekend in a club. That explains your numb skull. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by PublicAssurance: 9:55pm On Jun 29, 2016
That roughly $3500. Easy!!!....and i still have more than enough o. and i am not even bragging.
donigspain:
So you ''burn'' 999,999 naira over a weekend in a club. That explains your numb skull. cheesy
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by donigspain(m): 10:07pm On Jun 29, 2016
PublicAssurance:
That roughly $3500. Easy!!!....and i still have more than enough o. and i am not even bragging.
It's pretty obvious you're still a Trainee Troll. The wise will heed my advise and explore LinkedIn. The unwise will heed yours. Many people are getting jobs and offers via LinkedIn and that's a verifiable fact. Ciao!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by PublicAssurance: 10:23pm On Jun 29, 2016
You are so adamant about this LinkedIn matter that u are begining to appear as a fraud. Ole Barawo Banzai.
donigspain:
It's pretty obvious you're still a Trainee Troll. The wise will heed my advise and explore LinkedIn. The unwise will heed yours. Many people are getting jobs and offers via LinkedIn and that's a verifiable fact. Ciao!
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by BrosMayowa(m): 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
The two paid jobs I've had at the Big Four were via LinkedIn
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
Orikinla:

You are brilliant, intelligent and smart.
I wish majority of undergraduates in Nigeria will think and act like you.
Thanks.
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
sarzy:

I don't understand. How do you get to know the people who view your profile? Does it mean the people whose profiles I have viewed are aware of me? I am not on LinkedIn Btw. So how would they know it's me?

You will get the notification once a visitor visits your profile. Provided that one is a registered Linkedin user and visits your account with his account.

Your visits won't count and they won't know if you don't have an account or you didn't login to your account before viewing people's profile.

I'm I clear?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by sixcobillz(m): 10:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
optimusmind:

5.Easier Recruitment.

please op, what kind of job offers do you get?
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by YOLO1(m): 10:40pm On Jun 29, 2016
How does it work? I have been on LinkedIn since last year even though I have not done anything useful on it. I don't even understand the whole setting. How can I benefit from it? Am a graduate of geology
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by jotax(m): 10:43pm On Jun 29, 2016
Linkeshit!
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by badohemmy(m): 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2016
LinkedIn is great for professionals.
Touts and Agboros please keep off.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bandoh-emmanuel-chiedu-s-b5a6b87a/ let's connect!
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by WATERLee1: 11:06pm On Jun 29, 2016
N in other way round brings one down with her unconfirmed information
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
Neyoor:

You will get the notification once a visitor visits your profile. Provided that one is a registered Linkedin user and visits your account with his account.

Your visits won't count and they won't know if you don't have an account or you didn't login to your account before viewing people's profile.

I'm I clear?

Yap. Thanks!
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 2:00am On Jun 30, 2016
Zonacom:
I just downloaded the app. Thanks op
You're welcome bro
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 2:02am On Jun 30, 2016
PublicAssurance:
[size=18pt]Linkedin doesn’t work…stop fooling yourselves! [/size]
It worked for a few thousand. Because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others. ....
Success
Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 30, 2016
Ataidara:
At op and others Can a graduate with no paid job but has a trade doing create a LinkedIn profile?
Yes,
Its all about the presentation. You can describe your role as a soul trader as the Managsr/CEO of your trade and describe your functions elaborately.

Success

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. by professore(m): 4:52am On Jun 30, 2016
This is an eye opener.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.